• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlatinumGames Community Thread | Platinum maintains its luster forever

Best Platinum boss fight?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Lernaean

Banned
Jergingha.
Armstrong.

Am i the tie breaker? :p

Edit: It's pretty sad that in the end of the poll, the winning boss battle won't be from the game that has the best PG boss battles, because too few cared to play it. Well w/e.

I'll put a vote toward Senator Armstrong then, because I think that fight was much better than Sam.

I don't understand how Sam got any votes: the only reason it's not the most disappointing boss in MGR is because Sundowner is even more so. Both are extremely simple mechanically, which is unfortunate considering how much build up there was for both characters.

Armstrong meanwhile came almost out of nowhere and stole the show.

Lernaean

Banned
Armstrong meanwhile came almost out of nowhere and stole the show.

Armstrong is the best boss fight in MGR indeed.
It's mechanically intricate, funny, always changing to give you new experiences and spectacle, it has the signature PG badassery, it even has a 'hit a spot in the back' Capcom style moment, it's perfect.

Regiruler

It's an unpopular opinion, but I think Monsoon is a better fight than Armstrong. The cutscene beforehand was actually very good, and he officially marks the end of the game's boss drought that crops up a third of the way through.

Nemmy

It's an unpopular opinion, but I think Monsoon is a better fight than Armstrong. The cutscene beforehand was actually very good, and he officially marks the end of the game's boss drought that crops up a third of the way through.

He's a pain in the ass to fight tho (IMO). The fucker won't stand still for a moment and keeps running off to throw shit at you way too often (his AI double was way more fun).

But admittedly I never took the time to learn to own him consistently. It may or may not have something to do with the fact he shows up in my least-liked chapter.

Akiller

Ohrowcee
Final Jeanne
Monsoon

Also
d79f663d67.png

Based Yamanaka.

Ushiwaka

Sorry for the delay guys.

Father Rodin (Bayo) - 2 points
Jeanne (Bayo) - 4 point
Double Bogey (Vanquish) - 4 points
Crystal Viper (Vanquish) - 1 point
Senator Armstrong (MGR) - 6 points
Sam (MGR) - 3 points
Monsoon (MGR) - 1 point
Masked Lumen (Bayo 2) - 5 points
Jergingha (TW101) - 2 points
Diekuu Ohrowchee (TW101) - 2 points
Ohdarko (TW101) - 1 point

Ok, we have a tie again (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻. Jergingha and Ohrowchee. Someone break that and we are ready for a new poll :D

popyea

I've already voted but I like Ohrowchee better I think. Mechanically it's pretty similar to Jergingha; both are kind of swatting you or shooting lasers at you. But I like how the Ohrowchee fight looks. The design has this arcade sensibility that I love.

Regiruler

Sorry for the delay guys.

Father Rodin (Bayo) - 2 points
Jeanne (Bayo) - 4 point
Double Bogey (Vanquish) - 4 points
Crystal Viper (Vanquish) - 1 point
Senator Armstrong (MGR) - 6 points
Sam (MGR) - 3 points
Monsoon (MGR) - 1 point
Masked Lumen (Bayo 2) - 5 points
Jergingha (TW101) - 2 points
Diekuu Ohrowchee (TW101) - 2 points
Ohdarko (TW101) - 1 point

Ok, we have a tie again (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻. Jergingha and Ohrowchee. Someone break that and we are ready for a new poll :D

Jergingha is easily better than Ohrowchee. I don't know what people see in that fight.

Ushiwaka

I've already voted but I like Ohrowchee better I think. Mechanically it's pretty similar to Jergingha; both are kind of swatting you or shooting lasers at you. But I like how the Ohrowchee fight looks. The design has this arcade sensibility that I love.

Jergingha is easily better than Ohrowchee. I don't know what people see in that fight.

I'm gonna go with Jergingha for the poll cause I read people praise it here on GAF or twitter or other places so many times. Way more than Ohrowchee or any other boss fight from TW101. So, here is the final list:

Double Bogey (Vanquish)
Jeanne (Bayonetta)
Jergingha (The Wonderful 101)
Masked Lumen (Bayonetta 2)
Senator Armstrong (Metal Gear Rising)

I'm gonna PM a mod now :D

Edit: PM sent.

Damn, I wish I had noticed the poll earlier. Jeanne is great, but Father Rodin is so much better than her; it's insane how great of a fight he is if you don't use Pillow Talk or the Climax Bracelet.

I can't speak for their Wii U games (yet), but between Father Rodin, Jeanne round 4, the double Bogeys, and Armstrong (both the original and Jetstream version), Platinum has put out some truly "greatest of all time"-level boss battles.

Take your pick from:
The part where
you grind one of its heads against a building
The part where you
stab its eye todeath, then replace it to make the head rip the other one out
The part where you
fight in freefall jumping between pieces of debris to avoid its charges
The part where,
still in freefall, you form an arrow with your entire team to be shot from the goddess statue's bow, run through his rider from below, steal his chainsword by forming a giant hand, then slash him longitudinally with it

That's off the top of my head, but there are even more memorable moments in that fight. Jergingha really only has one (the final QTE): the entire fight is top-notch, but not as many memorable moments.

God, there's not feeling better than that perfect platinum against a boss in Bayo 2. The dodge she does when she goes down on her knees and slides while arching her back. It's so stylish!

Ushiwaka

Ok, the new poll is here. Thanks mods! :D

Edit: uh... I can't vote :/ It says I've already voted which I didn't :/ Weird.
Edit 2: If anyone is having the same problem, please tell me.

Ushiwaka

Whats with he sudden silence, guys? :( Why no one votes? :(

===

On recent events, seeing VC selling good on Steam and SEGA being happy, I think we got closer to a Bayo/Vanquish PC port :D SEGA working again with Platinum makes things really interesting, I wonder IF a PC port of Bayo/Vanquish happens, will it lead to more collabs from SEGA and PG or not. They own most of PG's IPs after all.

P.S: This is the previous poll's results:

Nemmy

Whats with he sudden silence, guys? :( Why no one votes? :(

I took a long hard look at the poll and figured that as my WiiU purchase is just around the corner, I might as well hold off with voting till I play Bayo2 and W101. Or am I being dumb and you can just change your mind after the vote is cast?

On recent events, seeing VC selling good on Steam and SEGA being happy, I think we got closer to a Bayo/Vanquish PC port :D SEGA working again with Platinum makes things really interesting, I wonder IF a PC port of Bayo/Vanquish happens, will it lead to more collabs from SEGA and PG or not. They own most of PG's IPs after all.

I'm keeping my eyes on that petition an all things surrounding it, too. I really hope SEGA gets their shit together (or maybe they already did and we don't even know) and releases some PG games' ports. I drool even thinking about PC Vanquish.
Anarchy Reigns could work really nice on Steam too, I think, though I'm pretty sure the chances for that game ever being revived in any form are none.

Damn, I wish I had noticed the poll earlier. Jeanne is great, but Father Rodin is so much better than her; it's insane how great of a fight he is if you don't use Pillow Talk or the Climax Bracelet.

I loved, loved fighting him with the nunchucks. One of the best gaming experiences I've had.

Lernaean

Banned
I just saw it, voted for Jergingha. It was a draw between Armstrong and Jergingha, too close to be honest, so i decided I'd vote for the one in the overlooked game.
All the fights in the poll are excellent though, they're all winners.

I took a long hard look at the poll and figured that as my WiiU purchase is just around the corner, I might as well hold off with voting till I play Bayo2 and W101.

You're doing the right thing, believe me ;)

SEGA working again with Platinum makes things really interesting.

I'm not aware of any clue that Sega is working with PG again, and tbh, the thought itself scares me.
Sega is simply dead to me, and too toxic for many good games, especially now that they own Atlus too.

Ushiwaka

I took a long hard look at the poll and figured that as my WiiU purchase is just around the corner, I might as well hold off with voting till I play Bayo2 and W101. Or am I being dumb and you can just change your mind after the vote is cast?

Well, you can change your mind, but you can't change the vote once you have voted :D
I just wanted to make sure nobody has technical problem with the poll like me. It seems that I'm the only one. I've been having weird problems with NeoGAF lately. I deleted cache and cookies but it doesn't seem to be helping :(

I'm keeping my eyes on that petition an all things surrounding it, too. I really hope SEGA gets their shit together (or maybe they already did and we don't even know) and releases some PG games' ports. I drool even thinking about PC Vanquish.
Anarchy Reigns could work really nice on Steam too, I think, though I'm pretty sure the chances for that game ever being revived in any form are none.

It seems that SEGA is realizing that Steam and the PC community have potential. That's really good. I'm sure nice things would come out of this :D

I'm not aware of any clue that Sega is working with PG again, and tbh, the thought itself scares me.
Sega is simply dead to me, and too toxic for many good games, especially now that they own Atlus too.

Well, if they decided to port Vanquish or Bayo to PC, they have to work with Platinum again. They ported a 5 year old game to PC, so maybe they are changing :D

Nemmy

Well, you can change your mind, but you can't change the vote once you have voted :D
I just wanted to make sure nobody has technical problem with the poll like me. It seems that I'm the only one. I've been having weird problems with NeoGAF lately. I deleted cache and cookies but it doesn't seem to be helping :(

Tried using a different browser?
I had some weird stuff happen with the subscriptions view not long ago, GAF just plain didn't let me know there are new posts here
must be a conspiracy

Guys

I still haven't started Bayonetta 2.

My job fucking sucks.

That is all.

I still haven't bought a WiiU and I have like 15 minutes weekly for gaming these days anyway.

Let's start a support group in this thread or something.

Would Sega even have Platinum port the game if they didn't want to? Sega owns the IPs right and could really do what they want with them.

But I can easily see Sega giving them the right of first refusal.

Ushiwaka

Tried using a different browser?
I had some weird stuff happen with the subscriptions view not long ago, GAF just plain didn't let me know there are new posts here
must be a conspiracy

Yeah... It didn't help :( Haven't tried with a different PC tho... That may work.

Ah, i see.
This time i won't gently take you back to the ground. I plan of shooting you down :p

Rd1B45q.gif

what did I do wrong

Would Sega even have Platinum port the game if they didn't want to? Sega owns the IPs right and could really do what they want with them.

But I can easily see Sega giving them the right of first refusal.

Sega could give the port to other studios, but I can't see why Platinum would refuse doing it.

Hypron

The poll tells me I've already voted... But I haven't. I wasn't even aware it had been updated until today. I need to give Armstrong the recognition he deserves, he's way better than Jergingha imo.

I still haven't bought a WiiU and I have like 15 minutes weekly for gaming these days anyway.

Let's start a support group in this thread or something.

This thread is my support group

I'm thinking of actually starting to use vacation time to game now. I've got 5 weeks saved up anyway, what the hell

Ushiwaka

Poll problem may be fixed.

Try again if you've already voted and check.

Thanks for the effort you are putting into this :)

I am still having the same problem. If the problem is still not fixed for other users as well, I suggest getting rid of the poll and going with no poll at all.

Lernaean

Banned
Problem for me as well. It says that i've already voted, and i had on the first one a couple of days ago, but the poll is reset anyway, so it does not work right.

Okay then, sorry guys. Probably be some legacy vBulletin stuff regarding polls that can't be fixed without really digging around the forum software guts (I am not an expert here but that appears to be the case).

Ushiwaka

Okay then, sorry guys. Probably be some legacy vBulletin stuff regarding polls that can't be fixed without really digging around the forum software guts (I am not an expert here but that appears to be the case).

I see. Thanks again for your time. :) I think its better to get rid of the poll now. No poll at all is better than a broken poll :D

Finally started Bayo 2. Not getting better than silvers on 3rd climax. Time to just deal with the fact that I'm an old scrub and my reaction times are only going to get worse. Game is everything I hoped for though, tbh.

RonianAT2

Neo Member
Rising for consoles (360) still worth getting without the extra boss rush mode? Damn, would love to see this on consoles too...

Top Bottom