• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

Neku054

Neo Member
Question. So I have a 4K TV but I don't believe it has HDR (it's a 2014 Sony XBR65-X850D).. Is HDR such a huge improvement that I should look into purchasing a 2016-17 tv or am I fine with the 4K alone without HDR? Should I not bother and instead play in 1080p to get visual/performance improvements instead?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Mother of God.

ratchet_clank_20161114er6s.png

ratchet_clank_2016111nurbh.png

ratchet_clank_2016111harn8.png

ratchet_clank_201611174ozq.png

ratchet_clank_20161112qrvm.png

ratchet_clank_2016111o9las.png

This is seriously, the cleanest IQ I've ever seen, gaming in 4K on my PC included. Absolutely phenomenal.

Spiderman on the PS4 PRO will be AMAZING!

Is there confirmation of it doing 4K/30hz over HDMI 1.4? There's a line on the PS blog FAQ about it being technically able to. I plan on getting an HDR TV eventually but it'd be good to know if you can at least get 4K output on older TVs/monitors.

phansen

Neo Member
Funny thing about the Pro for me right now: Playing Rise of the TR in High Framerate mode actually makes me heavily consider a gaming PC. I don't care a bit about the marginally better graphics in the 30fps mode (1080p) but the higher fps actually make the game more fun to play. Most games though will not offer significantly higher fps counts on the Pro over the base model. I feel like even a mid-range PC makes so much more sense for me because i can always choose 60 fps over prettier graphics that way.

Question. So I have a 4K TV but I don't believe it has HDR (it's a 2014 Sony XBR65-X850D).. Is HDR such a huge improvement that I should look into purchasing a 2016-17 tv or am I fine with the 4K alone without HDR? Should I not bother and instead play in 1080p to get visual/performance improvements instead?

It's pretty significant. 4K brings out the detail but HDR makes it look real.

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
Hum i dont know how should i put it, im playing ps4 on my sony 4k tv and i have to put it in game mode so i dont feel the lag between when i press the button on the controler and i see the action on the tv.

What i was asking is if a buy a ps pro, the lag will be higher or low since ps pro dont have to upscale 1080 content.

Thank you

There won't be a difference. Your TV is responsible for that problem. What's your TV model?

Wow just picked up a pro and I noticed a difference immediately, I always hated aliasing but now it seems as if it is virtually gone with supersampling.

Just take a look at Deus Ex Mankind Divided. I downscaled the image of deus ex to 1080p on the pro and compared it with an image I had taken with the original PS4.

Original ps4 at 1080p:

NA04qii.jpg

Ps4 Pro at 1080p:

U6D6M9U.jpg

Zoomed in, Original ps4 at 1080p:

HcKLsiH.jpg

Zoomed in, Ps4 Pro at 1080p

2xkuom2.jpg

Look at the birds and the windmill blades. There is a definite difference even for people with 1080p TV sets, just from supersampling. I'm looking forward to testing this on a 4k tv which I'm planning to get in the near future.

Man, the fan noise really is a bummer. It would constantly rev up and down while playing Titanfall last night, so not even a consistent level of noise.

It's probably not any worse than my launch unit, but I was hoping for an upgrade in that department.

antibolo

Banned
Got my PS4 yesterday after work, haven't played it yet because I was running backup restore of my traded-in vanilla PS4 overnight.

I did faff about quickly in the OS menu this morning before going to work. Is it me or is the main menu a lot more fluid now? Heh.

Åesop;224085180 said:
No m8. Both of these are generally refered to as Input Lag. Display Lag just describes a certain kind of Input Lag, i.e. delay from output source to a display device (in this case the "input" is the HDMI signal).
Referred to - incorrectly.

Display lag is the time it takes the TV or display device to display the image after it receives the data. Commonly most felt in peripheral input.

Everyone just calls it input lag, which is technically a different thing.

Rodin

You'll need the new. The old version won't fit, but the new model fits both the Pro and the slim. Stood my pro up last night and it really looks fantastic.

Thanks. Yeah seeing the form i immediately thought that with the stand it would look better.

Skenzin

Banned
Got mine for $97 bucks.

$400 retail price
+ 11+% sales tax in Chicago
- $300 selling my old one to a friend with some old games and an extra controller
- $40 from the Target 10% Wishlist Coupon
~ Give or take some cents here or there
= $97

IF ONLY I COULD GET THE DAMN THING TO TRANSFER WITHOUT TIMING OUT.

nice guy.

Got my PS4 yesterday after work, haven't played it yet because I was running backup restore of my traded-in vanilla PS4 overnight.

I did faff about quickly in the OS menu this morning before going to work. Is it me or is the main menu a lot more fluid now? Heh.

Menu is in 4K dawg

kriskrosbbk

Man, the fan noise really is a bummer. It would constantly rev up and down while playing Titanfall last night, so not even a consistent level of noise.

It's probably not any worse than my launch unit, but I was hoping for an upgrade in that department.

Noticed it too on BF1.Meanwhile people saying its quiet.

Any word on patches for Rez Infinite and Mafia 3? I thought they were on the launch list.

Mafia was patched to add outfits but there's nothing for the Pro enhancements and I've been holding off on continuing my playthrough until it releases.

d9b

Banned
Is there a list of all the HDR games somewhere?

Everything I search just leads me to "here's the games getting Pro support" list.

I only got to test Titanfall 2 and The Last of Us last night, and the former doesn't, but the latter does.

I would like to know this too. Anyone?

Hagi

So I got one (after trading in my WiiU rip) and tried a few games out. The IQ improvements are the thing that Juno's out to me most primarily in Ratchet and Clank which I stopped playing early in its release because of the aliasing. Titanfall looks pretty damn awesome in the 5 minutes I got to try before having to leave, looking forward to trying Dishonoured later after the patch downloads.
I'm not really sure on the HDR but I've only really got R&C to try out anyway and because it's been so long since I've played it it's hard to notice and improvement? I should have thrown it in my other PS4 before unplugging it. Tomb raider looks really good in 4k but it's not as clean as I'd hope on the flip side I was in a tomb at the time.

Unknown?

Mine is way better than my launch unit! Not as loud and a more muffled tone.

duxstar

Is there a list of all the HDR games somewhere?

Everything I search just leads me to "here's the games getting Pro support" list.

I only got to test Titanfall 2 and The Last of Us last night, and the former doesn't, but the latter does.

From what I understand the only 3 games that do HDR at the moment are Infamous First light, Infamous Second Son,and Ratchet and Clank.

Buy infamous first light, and then play it to see what true hdr is; It's literally the single most impressive thing I've seen on the TV so far; the HDR future cannot come soon enough.

Wallach

So far I think Infamous 4K/HDR is the new gold standard for graphics imo.

Thoughts?

I only tried R&C, Skyrim and ESO last night. R&C was far and away the winner, one of the best looking video games I have ever seen in person. Kind of nuts.

ESO is... okay. No HDR, but native 4K. Not a great looking game though in the first place. Does actually seem to perform better even at 4K than it did on the PS4. Especially in terms of town stuttering. Bodes well for playability.

Skyrim was the big loser. Decent upgrade in clarity with native 4K, but no HDR, and noticeably worse performance. Enough that it put me off replaying it altogether until they do something about it. Not sure why they tried for native 4K if that was the result. I'd take checkerboard or especially whatever the fuck "temporal injection" wizardry Insomniac used for Ratchet & Clank for the sake of restoring performance. Seriously I hope they are sharing that information widely because whatever they did with R&C is fucking awesome.

d9b

Banned
From what I understand the only 3 games that do HDR at the moment are Infamous First light, Infamous Second Son,and Ratchet and Clank.

Buy infamous first light, and then play it to see what true hdr is; It's literally the single most impressive thing I've seen on the TV so far; the HDR future cannot come soon enough.
Deus Ex HR have HDR mode too, I think.

Certinty

Any word on patches for Rez Infinite and Mafia 3? I thought they were on the launch list.

Mafia was patched to add outfits but there's nothing for the Pro enhancements and I've been holding off on continuing my playthrough until it releases.
The outfit patch enabled PS4 Pro support. Looks and runs far better now from the little I've played.

Anung

Un Rama
How's Dishonored 2 run on the Pro?

Little harder to see the improvements if I'm honest considering I can't see them side to side like Titanfall. Unless I install it on my old PS4 but I cant be bothered.

The games I've played before as a reference do look miles better or bullshot levels of good.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
i cannot for the life of me get any of my headphones working other than straight plugging them into mic. They worked on ps4 og with the usb but on my pro doesnt even give me the option of switching to usb

Go to settings, devices, audio devices, output to headphones set to all audio.

Certinty

I wouldn't really bother yet. Only a handful of games even support HDR right now. Wait a while for the prices on good HDR TVs to drop, by then most games should have support too.

GazzaGSi

Has anyone tried BLOPS 3? I thought it was odd that they were patching it. I don't really want to download it again if it is just a minimal boost.

Would like to know this too. Haven't seen anyone talking about the patch at all.

Downloaded and played it last night.
No new patch yet and I didn't see any differences.

Patch was supposedly due day 1:
http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/09/07/black-ops-3-is-getting-ps4-pro-support

There also hasn't been any activity on their twitter account since Nov 4th but sent them a tweet asking about the Pro update earlier.

Hagi

Little harder to see the improvements if I'm honest considering I can't see them side to side like Titanfall. Unless I install it on my old PS4 but I cant be bothered.

The games I've played before as a reference do look miles better or bullshot levels of good.

Ratchet and Clank definitely looks like bullshot territory, it's quite amazing actually.

It didn't look any different/better/worse with Destiny.

I thought it was a higher resolution.
Or am i thinking of something else?

Edit: nope. Remote play in 1080P.

Wow just picked up a pro and I noticed a difference immediately, I always hated aliasing but now it seems as if it is virtually gone with supersampling.

Just take a look at Deus Ex Mankind Divided. I downscaled the image of deus ex to 1080p on the pro and compared it with an image I had taken with the original PS4.

Original ps4 at 1080p:

http://i.imgur.com/NA04qii.jpg

Ps4 Pro at 1080p:

[img]http://i.imgur.com/U6D6M9U.jpg

Zoomed in, Original ps4 at 1080p:

[img]http://i.imgur.com/HcKLsiH.jpg

Zoomed in, Ps4 Pro at 1080p

[img]http://i.imgur.com/2xkuom2.jpg
Look at the birds and the windmill blades. There is a definite difference even for people with 1080p TV sets, just from supersampling. I'm looking forward to testing this on a 4k tv which I'm planning to get in the near future.[/QUOTE]
yep, big difference in iQ. But i heard the performance wasn't so great?

Disktrasa

Banned
I need some help, hope its ok to post here.

I will try to explain, and please forgive me if my spelling sucks.

This is the thing; i have an Ps4, with 3 accounts; eu (were i have ps+) and us and hongkong were i have bought many games from.

I have this upstairs now.

I bought Ps4 Pro yesterday and have that one downstairs.

I must set us and honkkongaccount to primary to get the games to work on my Ps4 Pro, just like before, but on my old Ps4, there is a padlock on the games from us and honkong when i am signed in on my main euaccount, i think i am fucked?

Is there something i am missing here, or is it just what it is?

If there is no way to make this work, then i will just play games from my eupsn on my old ps4.

The only way i can think of is to deactivate primary on my pro when i want to play a game from a different region on my old ps4 and set that to primary, and then deactivate pro and activate ps4 again when i want to play on my ps4 again.

And as you know, thats will not work, because i will switch pretty often between ps4 and ps4 pro.

But maybe there is a way that i don't know of?

And i hope that someone understands what i am trying to reach out for here xD

Unknown?

Uncharted 4 has HDR

ron_bato

Uncharted 4, the last of us, nba 2k17, deus ex, all have hdr too.

What are your settings? To many of us, including me, it looks dark.

I like a bright blown out image so I use the standard settings on my Samsung with sharpness down to 20. So contrast is 100 and brightness is max (20) for HDR.

Using Game Mode.

c00l3ru

What are your settings? To many of us, including me, it looks dark.
Each tv will be different. Try googling especially on forums like AVforums and the like. There no use me giving you settings for my tv as each tv will need to be calibrated differently.

Top Bottom