• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

Drewfonse

Is anyone else experiencing a high pitched sound on their PS4 Pro? It sounds like a coil whine-sound. I've heard it both in Skyrim SE and BF1. On Skyrim it disappears when you press start and enter the menu. It's not super loud, but nevertheless quite irritating. I won't hear it clearly while I have the volume cranked up of course, but anyway...

Yeah a little bit now and again. It's not the fan?

Can someone tell me how much of a selling point is hdr for the pro. Got a old 4Ktv with mediocre hdr so curious if i will get any benefit committing to a pro right now.

styl3s

Is anyone else experiencing a high pitched sound on their PS4 Pro? It sounds like a coil whine-sound. I've heard it both in Skyrim SE and BF1. On Skyrim it disappears when you press start and enter the menu. It's not super loud, but nevertheless quite irritating. I won't hear it clearly while I have the volume cranked up of course, but anyway...
Is Skyrim running ok on Pro? I heard it runs worse on Pro than standard and i was looking forward to picking it up today. If it runs fine ill pick it up around 2:00 and get back at you.

eyesradar

Complete noob question here: do I have to find a specific patch for the games that have a pro mode or it just downloads everything automatically so it runs at pro mode at boot?

Thanks!

OutlawJim

Neo Member
Checkerboard in action!
But seriously, check your HDMI and power cable. Turn of TV and Pro and try again. Report back.

Changed hdmi cable, power cable taken out and put back in again, and it crashed again, but no checkerboard this time, just error code CE-34878-0. That happened the first time it crashed yesterday, but I had the checkerboard thing the other 3 times.

It's all turning a bit too Ska in here.

Do any other games cause it to happen?

No other games have crashed at all. I played a good 2 hours of WOFF, 30 minutes at least of Uncharted 4 and 30 or so minutes of Ratchet and Clank. Tomb Raider seems to crash pretty quickly.

Mojoraisin

Thanks to those of you who shared screenshots.

Picking mine up tomorrow and look forward to trying the new 1080p modes with downsampled higher resolution on my 112" proctor with HW40ES. I'm hoping to see a big difference on that size screen. :)

Sorry if this has been asked - but is there a list of HDR enabled games? All I can find is 4K enabled lists

I feel like we need one list for everything and what options there are.

See:

So I guess we'll make the list ourselves. Can people add to this if they know of any others? I'll go through as many games I can this evening on the "Pro Support" list and update myself.

HDR PS4 Games
The Last of Us: Remastered
Infamous: Second Son
Infamous: First Light
Ratchet and Clank
NBA 2K17

Should be added to the Native 4k thread or made a new one.

Certinty

No, it added performance optimizations which is why it looks and runs better but on their twitter as of November 10th (yesterday):

mafia3jtsob.jpg

But then the account also tweeted this.

https://twitter.com/mafiagame/status/796794923286568960

Strange.

jack....

Sorry if this has been asked - but is there a list of HDR enabled games? All I can find is 4K enabled lists

Previous page:

So I guess we'll make the list ourselves. Can people add to this if they know of any others? I'll go through as many games I can this evening on the "Pro Support" list and update myself.

HDR PS4 Games
The Last of Us: Remastered
Infamous: Second Son
Infamous: First Light
Ratchet and Clank
NBA 2K17

No idea how complete or accurate this is, though.

Started Deus Ex just to see. I have a 4K HDR Bravia.

PS4 Pro tells me that my TV might support 4K HDR, but that the color ormat right now is only YUV420 and only 2K HDR is supported right now until I go into the menus. But I am not finding where I can go turn that on.

Probably hdmi uhd color enable that?

Renkax

Guys got a New 4K tv and the Pro , I plugged in the HDMI from the ps4 to HMDI 2 on the tv , I got the sound but no screen Rs all black help :(

Mindman

Love this console so far. A couple little physical things that I like over the OG PS4 is the rounded corners, fully matte outer plastic shell, lack of wobble when pressing it on one side, and superior power and eject buttons. You no longer need a needle to use them. ;)

New controller is nice too.

Mindman

Guys got a New 4K tv and the Pro , I plugged in the HDMI from the ps4 to HMDI 2 on the tv , I got the sound but no screen Rs all black help :(

Lots of info about this. Turn off PS4, hold power for 7 second to boot into Safe mode, change HDCP version to 1.4

Xando

Tempted to trade in my PS4 for a PSPro but i'm not sure if it's worth it since i don't have a 4k/HDR tv yet.

Anyone in my position with a PSpro that can provide some inside if the difference is actually noticeable?

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Thanks for the heads up. I get mine next week. Seems weird that hdr isn't enabled already on that tv. How do you like it so far? Big difference with hd tv?

Great TV. I dont anticipate the hdr looking as great as it would on newer, more expensive tvs, but pretty happy with the purchase. Very little calibration needed, too.

I have a KS8000 and it defaulted to YUV. Didn't Digital Foundry say that's actually preferable to RGB or something? Should I keep it at YUV?

FireCloud

I have a KS8000 and it defaulted to YUV. Didn't Digital Foundry say that's actually preferable to RGB or something? Should I keep it at YUV?

Saw a post earlier (not sure if here or on reddit) that if you want HDR you pretty much have to use YUV. There is not enough bandwidth over HDMI to support 4K/HDR/RGB.

This isn't coming from experience though. I don't yet have a 4K TV. I picked up the Pro yesterday for PSVR improvements w/ supersampling on 1080p as a bonus.

Playing Ratchet and Clank on my 1080p TV and holy shit.

How did it look like before? It's my first time playing and I understand when people say it looks like a Pixar movie.

Gray-Fox

Tomb Raider crashes for me in 4k mode on a 1080p display. Not sure about other modes, or what is causing it.

Happened 2 times yesterday

OutlawJim

Neo Member
Tomb Raider crashes for me in 4k mode on a 1080p display. Not sure about other modes, or what is causing it.

Happened 2 times yesterday

Yeah I think this seems to be the issue for me too. I played it just now in Enhanced Visuals mode and it played fine, longer than it has yet. It's super annoying because the 4k mode looks so good on my 1080p screen. Ive tweeted Square Enix Europe and will report back if I hear anything.

Also some guy on the Square Enix forums is reporting the same: 4k mode, 1080p screen and crashes.

buenoblue

Just set my pro up. Very impressed. On my old 1080p tv till tommorow when my 55 ks7000 comes but even on 1080p it defo looks better. Played a bit of ratchet and uncharted 4. Infamous looks great in high frame rate mode. Tommorow can't come quick enough.

Toki767

So my TV from 2010 supports that 120Hz Motionflow thing that makes everything look super smooth.

With my regular PS4, it's turned off and things look normal.

But with my Pro, it seems like 120Hz is turned on and everything looks too smooth.

Like I'm playing Destiny and it looks like it's 60fps even though I know the game is 30fps.

Anyone else experiencing that?

iTehDroiD

Neo Member

RGB is uncompressed (thus better) BUT is not possible in combination with HDR10 due to HDR10 having 10 bit per channel instead of 8. The bandwith of the current HDMI standard is not sufficient enough for 10 Bit RGB. Only 4:2:0 and 10 Bit.

I have a Samsung as well. You have to enable UHD color for the HDMI input in order to enable RGB (without HDR10).

Complete noob question here: do I have to find a specific patch for the games that have a pro mode or it just downloads everything automatically so it runs at pro mode at boot?

Thanks!
Sometimes if you press options while selecting a game (on the crossbar on your ps4/ Pro) you can check the updates

Yeah I think this seems to be the issue for me too. I played it just now in Enhanced Visuals mode and it played fine, longer than it has yet. It's super annoying because the 4k mode looks so good on my 1080p screen. Ive tweeted Square Enix Europe and will report back if I hear anything.

Also some guy on the Square Enix forums is reporting the same: 4k mode, 1080p screen and crashes.
Fuuuck

joeblow

Playing Ratchet and Clank on my 1080p TV and holy shit.

How did it look like before? It's my first time playing and I understand when people say it looks like a Pixar movie.

My first time playing as well! I agree that the Pro makes Ratchet and Clank look absolutely fantabulous on my 1080P display.

From your question I went ahead and looked up this high quality direct feed 1080P video at Gamersyde of the OG PS4 version. Wow, what a difference. We can clearly see that the image is softer, and fuzzier overall. Railings and rock formations have stair-stepping aliasing, and things like the fences have that distracting shimmer to them.

Well done, Insomniac (and the PS4 Pro mechanical wizards)!

catspit

I Don't have a PRO, but Ratchet and Clank looked like a Pixar movie on the OG PS4 when I played it awhile back. great game.

Your PS4 defaulted to YUV? I have the same set and am curious how to check this
Yea, go to settings on the dashboard and then sound/video or something. I believe in there it's under advanced settings.

RGB is uncompressed (thus better) BUT is not possible in combination with HDR10 due to HDR10 having 10 bit per channel instead of 8. The bandwith of the current HDMI standard is not sufficient enough for 10 Bit RGB. Only 4:2:0 and 10 Bit.

I have a Samsung as well. You have to enable UHD color for the HDMI input in order to enable RGB (without HDR10).
Oh, but the KS8000 is HDR10 though isn't it? So I can't do anything? In any case the picture quality is still incredible.

So my TV from 2010 supports that 120Hz Motionflow thing that makes everything look super smooth.

With my regular PS4, it's turned off and things look normal.

But with my Pro, it seems like 120Hz is turned on and everything looks too smooth.

Like I'm playing Destiny and it looks like it's 60fps even though I know the game is 30fps.

Anyone else experiencing that?
Tv's save different settings per input. You just need to turn it off.

tommyguns

Yea, go to settings on the dashboard and then sound/video or something. I believe in there it's under advanced settings.

Oh, but the KS8000 is HDR10 though isn't it? So I can't do anything? In any case the picture quality is still incredible.

Ah, got ya. I believe mine is set to 'automatic' which I believe switches automatically. (Uses RGB on the dashboard and non HDR games and switched to YUV when an HDR game is being played.)

I have a Sony Bravia ex5. I keep getting "unsupported Signal. Please check the device output." Then I tried to boot in safe mode and I still get a black screen. Ugh.

The ethernet system transfer was surprisingly smooth, no issues at all.

And I can confirm that if your primary console is some other PS4 in your house (for game sharing), you can do the transfer from the non-primary to the pro, choose not to activate the pro, and it works exactly as it should.

PaulLFC

After a 10 hour wait for my OG PS4 backup to restore, I could finally start playing - I love it. Almost silent when a disc isn't inserted, and Ratchet & Clank looks absolutely incredible even at 1080p.

I had one worrying moment when starting Infamous Second Son, where it appeared the Pro tried to change video output on my TV for some reason - the screen went black and then said something along the lines of "Unsupported video source" or similar.

I thought no problem, I'll just restart, but the most worrying thing was the console would do nothing in this state. It was on, but the controller stopped responding, and pressing the power button on the Pro did nothing. Pressing eject made a beeping noise but didn't eject the disc. The controller also wouldn't connect via USB cable and just kept flashing as it does when it can't find the correct system to pair with.

In the end I had to power the console off at the wall, which I hate doing for obvious reasons, but there was no other way to restart it. Switched it back on, it checked the drive and all seems fine now, including Infamous.

Kinda worrying though. Hopefully just a one-off bug of some sort which won't happen again.

Top Bottom