• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

Hearing TLoU will perform worse and I don't even have the option of running it like a regular PS4 really sucks.

Running worse is so misleading to me. If running worse means losing a few frames but gaining glorious 4K/HDR IQ, please please baby Jesus let every fucking game run worse.

My PS4 pro is making a lot of noise right now. It's installing Black Ops 3. Could that be why?

Absolutely. The loudest the system is likely to ever be is when you're installing. You're hearing the disk spin and the fan running. In normal play scenarios, the disk won't be being read and the fan will be running based on load.

Argh...I'm pretty sure I scrapped the side of the Pro with my fingernail as I was trying to pick it up. Now I'm super bothered by it and I don't know why.

The outfit patch enabled PS4 Pro support. Looks and runs far better now from the little I've played.

No, it added performance optimizations which is why it looks and runs better but on their twitter as of November 10th (yesterday):

mafia3jtsob.jpg

MchugN

Would like to know this too. Haven't seen anyone talking about the patch at all.

I played one match last night and couldn't do it anymore after putting in 60 hrs of Battlefield (around 5 of those hrs on the Pro). To me it looked terrible, but that's not to say the pro didn't bring improvements.
Sorry my post doesn't really answer your question.

thelastword

Banned
Wow just picked up a pro and I noticed a difference immediately, I always hated aliasing but now it seems as if it is virtually gone with supersampling.

Just take a look at Deus Ex Mankind Divided. I downscaled the image of deus ex to 1080p on the pro and compared it with an image I had taken with the original PS4.

Original ps4 at 1080p:

NA04qii.jpg

Ps4 Pro at 1080p:

U6D6M9U.jpg

Zoomed in, Original ps4 at 1080p:

HcKLsiH.jpg

Zoomed in, Ps4 Pro at 1080p

2xkuom2.jpg

Look at the birds and the windmill blades. There is a definite difference even for people with 1080p TV sets, just from supersampling. I'm looking forward to testing this on a 4k tv which I'm planning to get in the near future.
TBF you didn't even need to zoom it to prove your point. I must say though Image Quality was pretty solid on the PS4 vanilla version, it's just that the Pro takes it to bullshot levels with it's supersampling. Man this gen has really sang to me. I'm the biggest proponent of great IQ in games and this gen has delivered, with the PS4 and now doubly so with the Pro.

Rimshot

There was a small plastic sticker / tape with no printing underneath the console in the back. I pulled this off without thinking. Did I void any warranty?

-griffy-

Banned
Tried out some Trackmania Turbo quick this morning, it looks way cleaner and I didn't see any screen tearing at all. After work I'll boot up my standard PS4 and do some comparisons.

There was a small plastic sticker / tape with no printing underneath the console in the back. I pulled this off without thinking. Did I void any warranty?

No, that is just the HDD bay.

Was it clearish blue?

It was there to make sure the hard-drive bay didn't get accidentally removed I believe.

I have a PS4 Pro and a KS7000 (KS8000) for the US.
Anyone know why it is, when I turn the Ps4 on, it switches the HDMI over to it without asking.
I cant find an option on the TV to turn off (HDMI CEC is turned off) and on the Ps4 the option called HDMI Link is turned off.

Not a deal breaker, just kind of annoying.

sammex

Currently waiting on the data transfer atm so haven't got to see things in action.

One thing I don't like - the power button seems really flimsy. Not a big deal as I barely use it (use controller instead) but having to hold it down to get in safe mode it wobbles/feels like it could snap.

I do like the light along the front edge though.

antibolo

Banned
I have a PS4 Pro and a KS7000 (KS8000) for the US.
Anyone know why it is, when I turn the Ps4 on, it switches the HDMI over to it without asking.
I cant find an option on the TV to turn off (HDMI CEC is turned off) and on the Ps4 the option called HDMI Link is turned off.

Not a deal breaker, just kind of annoying.

Probably just senses an incoming source.

My Monoprice HDMI switch automatically switches input upon them turning on, no reason a TV itself can't do the same.

Jeels

Anyone try Final Fantasy XIV on the pro? I am not sure if my mind is tricking me, but it looks significantly better. And there is no actual PS4 Pro mode...

jiggles

Banned
From what I understand the only 3 games that do HDR at the moment are Infamous First light, Infamous Second Son,and Ratchet and Clank.

Buy infamous first light, and then play it to see what true hdr is; It's literally the single most impressive thing I've seen on the TV so far; the HDR future cannot come soon enough.

So I guess we'll make the list ourselves. Can people add to this if they know of any others? I'll go through as many games I can this evening on the "Pro Support" list and update myself.

HDR PS4 Games
The Last of Us: Remastered
Infamous: Second Son
Infamous: First Light
Ratchet and Clank
NBA 2K17

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Can someone tell me how to import custom banner images to Pro ? Is it as easy as putting some pics on a USB and plug it into the PS4 ?

I'm at work so can't try that right now, also first PS4 so don't exactly have prior knowledge.

Yopis

So I guess we'll make the list ourselves. Can people add to this if they know of any others? I'll go through as many games I can this evening on the "Pro Support" list and update myself.

HDR PS4 Games
Ratchet and Clank

You forgot NBA2k

X-post of mine from the FFXV Demo thread!:

I'd like to thank the Pro for making me discover game mode on my monitor. The color on the standard mode looks literally gray to me now when I compare it to game mode.

Here are two screens I took of FFXV:

There is so much more color without making the image too saturated! Can't believe I've played games like this for two and a half years!

HDR PS4 Games
Ratchet and Clank
NBA 2K17

Uncharted 4, Deus Ex, Tomb Raider also

Flandy

Anyone else not that impressed by HDR? I have a KS8000 and I've tried TLoU, Infamous First Light, Uncharted 4, and Ratchet & Clank. Effect seems kind of meh?

How the hell do you enable HDR on Tomb Raider? Becuase it doesn't seem to exist in that game

Yeah I have not seen the option in Tomb Raider either. Ratchet & Clank, Infamous, Uncharted, etc. all auto detect and enable it by default but have not seen any HDR in Tomb Raider.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I feel like I need a magnifying glass or some GAF overlay MS paint arrows to help isolate what the actual differences are in these comparison pics. I feel like I am looking at identical images constantly!

I am still waiting for my transfer to finish and soon enough I will taste the PS4 Pro difference myself, but even GAF-darling Ratchet screens look near imperceptible to me. It's like trying to find Waldo!

How the hell do you enable HDR on Tomb Raider? Becuase it doesn't seem to exist in that game

Hmm I might have got it mixed with this

https://developer.nvidia.com/implementing-hdr-rise-tomb-raider

I feel like I need a magnifying glass or some GAF overlay MS paint arrows to help isolate what the actual differences are in these comparison pics. I feel like I am looking at identical images constantly!

I am still waiting for my transfer to finish and soon enough I will taste the PS4 Pro difference myself, but even GAF-darling Ratchet screens look near imperceptible to me. It's like trying to find Waldo!

Are you watching them on 50" TV or on laptop or even worse phone/tablet ?

ktroopa

how does the downsampling work on pro? I have a 1080p TV so do I need to set the display options to 4K on the pro and it will downsample to 1080p automatically?

antibolo

Banned
Anyone try Final Fantasy XIV on the pro? I am not sure if my mind is tricking me, but it looks significantly better. And there is no actual PS4 Pro mode...

Are you playing on a 4K TV?

Cause if so, it's entirely possible that the Pro's scaler is doing a better job than your TV's.

OutlawJim

Neo Member
Got home, deleted Tomb Raider installed data and patches etc, tried playing for a while and after about 15 minutes I'm greeted by you can see here:

s5MBWzi.jpg

(apologies if the image link is wrong, first time doing it)

As I said, I played a fair bit of Uncharted 4, Ratchet and Clank and World of Final Fantasy with no issue. Any thoughts?

Xasthure

Neo Member
Is anyone else experiencing a high pitched sound on their PS4 Pro? It sounds like a coil whine-sound. I've heard it both in Skyrim SE and BF1. On Skyrim it disappears when you press start and enter the menu. It's not super loud, but nevertheless quite irritating. I won't hear it clearly while I have the volume cranked up of course, but anyway...

harz-marz

Got home, deleted Tomb Raider installed data and patches etc, tried playing for a while and after about 15 minutes I'm greeted by you can see here:

s5MBWzi.jpg

As I said, I played a fair bit of Uncharted 4, Ratchet and Clank and World of Final Fantasy with no issue. Any thoughts?

Checkerboard rendering gone wrong!

Hope you get it sorted. Tried booting into safe mode?

mmm dat tessellation.

riseofthetombraider_16eu6i.png

riseofthetombraider_1y5ufk.png

Also interesting that there are some instances where the ps4 pro actually exceeds ultra visuals even on pc according to nx gamer. Solid ps4 pro title.

s5MBWzi.jpg

lol XD that image is a joke to checkerboard rendering right?

Started Deus Ex just to see. I have a 4K HDR Bravia.

PS4 Pro tells me that my TV might support 4K HDR, but that the color ormat right now is only YUV420 and only 2K HDR is supported right now until I go into the menus. But I am not finding where I can go turn that on.

d9b

Banned
Checkerboard in action!
But seriously, check your HDMI and power cable. Turn of TV and Pro and try again. Report back.

Top Bottom