• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale Beta Thread 2 - This may literally make you sick

SmithnCo

Fat Princess is awesome. That is all.

I love FP but I'm playing with Parappa more now because FP gains meter pretty slowly compared to others. The stun on some of her moves has been nerfed too.

Has anyone made a list of combos yet? I've seen a fair amount for Parappa.

SSReborn

I don't think Radec is cheap at all but when its free for all and you're another character in the beta up against three Radec's good luck coming out on top in that matchup.

Playing this more lately made me see why some people say the combat feels off and unsatisfying. I hope the final build adds much needed flair to the attacks. Sfx are much better dont get me wrong, but to compare with smash bros it still lacks in sound. Even smash 64 to give an example. The spear of destiny barely makes noise when used and another example is kratos' down triangle feels weak despite the hammer seeming big and heavy.

I don't think Radec is cheap at all but when its free for all and you're another character in the beta up against three Radec's good luck coming out on top in that matchup.

Bring it....

iRZwzBqSUbmvV.jpg

SSReborn

Bring it....

lol your Fat Princess is godly average people would have got dominated. Actually when it happened to me I was Sly so I couldn't really block though I guess I could have used the tnt barrel. I'm also sure one of the Radec's were JStein so I had my work cut out for me.

lol your Fat Princess is godly average people would have got dominated. Actually when it happened to me I was Sly so I couldn't really block though I guess I could have used the tnt barrel. I'm also sure one of the Radec's were JStein so I had my work cut out for me.

It's funny there are some Radec players that are wising up to the air approach of Fat Princess and others and are throwing out the electric ball trap. So I have had to make some adjustments to my approaches. Just some minor things. It's really cool to see new strategies develop over time.

SSReborn

It's funny there are some Radec players that are wising up to the air approach of Fat Princess and others and are throwing out the electric ball trap. So I have had to make some adjustments to my approaches. Just some minor things. It's really cool to see new strategies develop over time.

Actually its funny you say that my Sly has changed considerably due to that match. I was really good at offense but I had to find better defensive options then the one's I was using. I actually wouldn't mind being in that situation again to see if my new Sly would come out on top. I had another experience like that when I played Radec in the cross beta and I came across a Parappa who was getting in on me fast with the air forward triangle. I had to switch up my play style entirely it was really fun. I can't wait to have access to all of the different match ups that are possible and see the various strategies that form.

Akainu

This games is all over the place.

Man the Patapon part of the Hades level is horrible. Save for the FEVER none of it is reminiscent of patapon. As a patapon fan it's insulting. It actually makes me sick.

prwxv3

This games is all over the place.

Man the Patapon part of the Hades level is horrible. Save for the FEVER none of it is reminiscent of patapon. As a patapon fan it's insulting. It actually makes me sick.

Are you talking about the music? Based on some of the leaked tracks (they may not be composed correctly though) The other stages far better music wise. Hades and Metropolis have the weakest tracks.

Akainu

Are you talking about the music? Based on some of the leaked tracks (they may not be composed correctly though) The other stages far better music wise. Hades and Metropolis have the weakest tracks.
Yes when the patapons show up it's just crap.

Heres a Parappa combo for you: side circle, circle, down square, up square (hold), circle, square, square.

Lil modified from old Mink one.

Playing this more lately made me see why some people say the combat feels off and unsatisfying. I hope the final build adds much needed flair to the attacks. Sfx are much better dont get me wrong, but to compare with smash bros it still lacks in sound. Even smash 64 to give an example. The spear of destiny barely makes noise when used and another example is kratos' down triangle feels weak despite the hammer seeming big and heavy.

I agree with this

I wonder if their logic is maybe because there'd be just too much going on SFX wise?

....or maybe they just haven't implemented it yet?

=/

I agree with this

I wonder if their logic is maybe because there'd be just too much going on SFX wise?

....or maybe they just haven't implemented it yet?

=/
The sound guy from superbot indeed did say that and told he didn't want too much. Who knows how much it'll be in the final version. They should just add a slider to the options for more character yells and such.

Akainu

The sound guy from superbot indeed did say that and told he didn't want too much. Who knows how much it'll be in the final version. They should just add a slider to the options for more character yells and such.
Who is this guy and can I talk
COMPLAIN
to him about the patapon music?

Satchel

Banned
Man this was not fun

Smash Bros is chaotic enough (in a bad way) but this is similar but less playable.

I came second and had no clue how.

Unless Kratos is just a shit character. But man the gameplay just feels...sloppy.

Didn't enjoy it all. Having some more interesting characters to choose from may have helped. As it was kind of picked kratos by default.... And got Parappa.

Might try again when it is on PS+ with the full cast.

ultron87

I wish there was a way to play this beta with a guest that wasn't 2v2. Because 2v2 against people that know what they are doing when you are just starting suuuuucks.

Anyone got any good Sly combos to gain AP?

I love him, but feel like I can't get him to do enough damage

That being said, I often am No.1 anyway, at least on Vita. I think alot of people are going for Lv.2/3s instead of just spamming Lv.1s

SSReborn

Anyone got any good Sly combos to gain AP?

I love him, but feel like I can't get him to do enough damage

That being said, I often am No.1 anyway, at least on Vita. I think alot of people are going for Lv.2/3s instead of just spamming Lv.1s

He doesn't seem to have much combos, at least obvious ones that you could pull off outside of practising with him. I went back and watched the combo video and they made some changes to some of the properties of his moves to make him harder to combo with. The only combo I got is his down square, up square, down square

Man this was not fun

Smash Bros is chaotic enough (in a bad way) but this is similar but less playable.

I came second and had no clue how.

Unless Kratos is just a shit character. But man the gameplay just feels...sloppy.

There are a lot of people that feel the opposite, mind you they have been playing a lot longer. Over time controls become second nature and you start to pick up on how each character behaves as an opponent as well. So then strategies form and all of sudden you are thinking about how and where to stick a super and how you are going to avoid Radec's level 2 super he just got.

In other words it takes a little time, I have seen opinions go from ones like yours to praise in just a few short days. It doesn't help that this is a beta and thus it is meant to stress test servers and FFA isn't the best place to learn things in a short amount of time. I really hope they put out an offline demo on release day to give people an opportunity to see the game at a different speed.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Didn't like the Beta at all. :(

4 on 4 matches with human opponents is chaotic, especially due to the camera (it doesn't zoom in on the action like Smash does, so I have a hard time following my character) and the wide variety of moves. In Smash the basic attacks were intuitive, while the specials required a bit more though, but you only had 4 of them. In PSA, all the 16+ moves were pretty odd and specialized, especially with Fat Princess and Sly, and when you're battling 3 other people, you don't have any time to practice and get used to the moves.

So, yeah, didn't have fun (I won a match...somehow?) at all. But that's just because being thrown into a 4-man Free For All without any decent place to practice is no fun in a game like this which is far more complex, imo, than the usual Mascot Fighter.

SSReborn

4 on 4 matches with human opponents is chaotic, especially due to the camera (it doesn't zoom in on the action like Smash does, so I have a hard time following my character) and the wide variety of moves. In Smash the basic attacks were intuitive, while the specials required a bit more though, but you only had 4 of them. In PSA, all the 16+ moves were pretty odd and specialized, especially with Fat Princess and Sly, and when you're battling 3 other people, you don't have any time to practice and get used to the moves.

So, yeah, didn't have fun (I won a match...somehow?) at all. But that's just because being thrown into a 4-man Free For All without any decent place to practice is no fun in a game like this which is far more complex, imo, than the usual Mascot Fighter.

This I can sympathise with they could have done the beta better by having practice mode and a more in depth tutorial (I still think there are people that don't know you can dodge supers by rolling, etc). I feel like if you were a diehard following this game for a while then it would be easier to pickup and learn because the basic mechanics would be known but for others I'd assume it would be much harder.

just tried out the beta last night. while i did like it, i kinda felt the same. i really miss training mode. although i actually do like the large amount of moves. i just wish there was a way to get more familiar with them.

in terms of the camera, i think its okay overall but in the case of when there are multiple parappa's on screen i found it easy to get mixed up. my beef is more with the stages, some of them feel a bit large to me from end to end. maybe i'm just biased towards smaller arenas, but i'd rather like to see more usage of high/low space rather than strictly left/right.

anyone have any comments on parappa's triangle attacks? i've been mostly sticking with his square attacks for comboability and his mic grapple for long range. i really like his uppercut because even on whiff or block you can still go into an air attack, dodge, or double jump.

in terms of someone who likes the grappler character archetype, which character would be recommend to play? i want the big damage and make people want to run away from me.

anyone have any comments on parappa's triangle attacks?
Air foreward triangle is excellent for covering distance and the best tool when dodgin some supers like Kratos and ST lvl 3. Foreward triangle on the ground is good if you want to hit multiple guys and it has quite good range. Up triangle may not be as good for anti air as up circle but I'm pretty sure it gives more AP and doesn't blast opponents away like boombox. Useful vs Radec for example who wishes you'd launch him to the other side of the stage.

I never use neutral and down triangle but maybe someone knows uses for em.

Archon473

Sly and Fat Princess are so short, they can run under the rocket launcher if held by a tall character (Radec).
The Energy Shield protects against Level 1 Supers; if hit, the shield will be disabled but the character will not die.
Sly's Level 3 cannot be dodged via rolls.

libregkd

Sly and Fat Princess are so short, they can run under the rocket launcher if held by a tall character (Radec).
The Energy Shield protects against Level 1 Supers; if hit, the shield will be disabled but the character will not die.
It can as I've dodged it using rolls before. Sly's Level 3 just has a rather big hit box.

B.O.O.M

Yes you can. It's hard but it's possible

As for the rocket launcher the best way to use it would be arial + Down. Very effective and easy to grab the AP orbs

Cross post;

How bout some Tips & Tricks as Fatty P?

Lesson Number 1 - The lady shouldn't walk into a fight alone.

Use neurtal circle to create a fireball for you to walk behind. Also side circle puts out a warrior attack that is also useful in closer range and leads me to...

Lesson Number 2 - Hit Stuns

Side Circle both in air and on ground is an essential move that everyone must learn to use. It not only is a medium range projectile attack but also hit stuns opponents leaving them open to a combo. Another hit stun is down triangle and it to can be chained into a combo. What's that? Combos.....

Lesson Number 3 - C-c-c-c-c-combooooooo!!!!

From the ground or air - Side circle, forward square x2, up square, jump towards opponent, up circle = 90 AP

Also;

From the air - Down Triangle, forward square x2, up square, jump towards opponent, up circle

I am trying to find a variant of these two to reach the threshold and believe I have found it but just don't have the proper arena to practice it. What I am thinking is after the forward square x2 I could do down square, up square. I have been able to land the down square but it takes longer to execute and timing is important. I also want to play around with neutral square instead of forward and lead into a forward triangle then up square to see if that will work. The above though are easy and fast combos to execute and keeps players off their feet.

Another variant of that and one that will protect you from above slightly is:

Short jump Neutral square, forward square x2, fireball will hit opponent, and finish with a jump and up circle

Of course there a lot of variants of these that are shorter to get you out of a jam in a hurry. For instance,

Forward triangle, forward square x2, short jump, forward triangle

I have other things I am working on currently but it is hard in FFA against real opponents and multiple disruptive Kratos and or Radecs. But those three are solid and a great place to start.

Lesson Number 4 - Gotta catch 'em all.....in a Super

Use the hit stun moves in Lesson 1 to set up both your Level 1 and 2 supers. Catch a group with one and execute immediately. Also use other characters trap moves like Parappa's flurry punch to catch a group as well. If timed right you can execute the Level 2 without a hit stun, but need to time it like you would Radec's level 2, but with everyone closer. By that I mean have opponents falling to the ground or caught in an attack, rather than already on the ground in a ready positions.

I'm sure there is more I could say, but most of the other stuff you need to know is universal across most characters. Also the way this is formatted sucks I know so sorry if it is hard to read :p

Top Bottom