• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale Beta Thread 2 - This may literally make you sick

Level 1 super all day, erryday. Sweet Tooth.

Depends on the character, and how I feel like playing. Generally It's easier for me to use lower level supers for faster kills. I get angry when I use a level 3 super and I only get like one or two kills

But is this balanced? Or do you see a majority of people going for lower end supers out of fear that higher supers wont work?

I see it playing out differently for Stock mode, but I'm curious, because a lot of people seem to be afraid to go for 3's. I guess a 3 minute time limit does that. Some games have been saved by using super 3's for me, particularly Radec's. His is impossible to dodge.

KalBalboa

Banned
But is this balanced? Or do you see a majority of people going for lower end supers out of fear that higher supers wont work?

I see it playing out differently for Stock mode, but I'm curious, because a lot of people seem to be afraid to go for 3's. I guess a 3 minute time limit does that. Some games have been saved by using super 3's for me, particularly Radec's. His is impossible to dodge.

I actually think a lot of level 1 supers are more prone to failure. I have a hard time landing Parappa and Sweet Tooth's levels ones, but their 2s and 3s are guaranteed points.

j37fwtDks6eTx.png

No Parappa, stahp. Don't come any closer Parappa.

Prapa pls

Kurod

Banned
So what do you guys think of the super balance? Like, a super 1 to a super 3? What's your strategies with supers?

Do u find it balanced that lower supers are harder, and that higher supers are easier to hit? Or are you finding it easier to use lower supers?

It seems pretty well balanced. Level 1 supers are really easy to stuff. Just a tap is all it takes to nullify them. Level 2 supers seem to have some super armor on start up but can be ended by other supers (The Murray taking out Parappa on his skateboard.) Level 3's are immune to everything.

I usually go for level 2's but will fall back on level 1's as a counter.

I actually think a lot of level 1 supers are more prone to failure. I have a hard time landing Parappa and Sweet Tooth's levels ones, but their 2s and 3s are guaranteed points.

I'm finding it the opposite now. Super 3's are more prone, so I dont go for it, Super 1's like ST's are easy to get and easy to hit, if you know what ur doing. Ive mostly nailed ST's S1.

Going for his super 3 is a huge risk because I cant rely on his super 2.

Super 2's can get countered the best. I can see really good players going for successful super 3's through learning combos though, and I think that's where the pros will excel

BTW, I think when Fat P misses her super 1 she pouts lol.

I've wasted soo many matches today trying to get LVL3's with ST. I think there may be modes where LVL 3 supers are much better than using lvl1 or 2's. We mostly try to use quick lvl1's since we're playing on 3 minute timed matches.

KalBalboa

Banned
I'm finding it the opposite now. Super 3's are more prone, so I dont go for it, Super 1's like ST's are easy to get and easy to hit, if you know what ur doing. Ive mostly nailed ST's S1.

Going for his super 3 is a huge risk because I cant rely on his super 2.

Super 2's can get countered the best. I can see really good players going for successful super 3's through learning combos though, and I think that's where the pros will excel

BTW, I think when Fat P misses her super 1 she pouts lol.

I don't know about level 2 supers being countered easily, especially Parappa's. I find that Sweet Tooth's #1 requires a little bit of forethought to get a hit too, whereas his level 3 is pretty much a guaranteed 2-4 points.

I think it's all up to the player's comfort zone and skill set, right?

Sponge

Banned
I've wasted soo many matches today trying to get LVL3's with ST. I think there may be modes where LVL 3 supers are much better than using lvl1 or 2's. We mostly try to use quick lvl1's since we're playing on 3 minute timed matches.

Same, but it made the matches when I did get it sooo much more satisfying.

I don't know about level 2 supers being countered easily, especially Parappa's. I find that Sweet Tooth's #1 requires a little bit of forethought to get a hit too, whereas his level 3 is pretty much a guaranteed 2-4 points.

I think it's all up to the player's comfort zone and skill set, right?

Parappa's is very easy to dodge, at least for me, so long as he doesnt bust it out when Im in recovery. It's all about how you bust it out

Im just trying to get a feel as to what people are doing. To me, I see a lot of lower end supers with everyone that isnt Kratos. Im actually using ST's Super 3's when I know I can, and Im nailing 4+ kills

These 3 minute FFA's are really contained, I am so curious to see supers in stock, where the strategy of using 3's to wipeout multiple enemies becomes much more viable without the pressure of the clock.

Parappa's is very easy to dodge, at least for me, so long as he doesnt bust it out when Im in recovery. It's all about how you bust it out

Im just trying to get a feel as to what people are doing. To me, I see a lot of lower end supers with everyone that isnt Kratos. Im actually using ST's Super 3's when I know I can, and Im nailing 4+ kills

These 3 minute FFA's are really contained, I am so curious to see supers in stock, where the strategy of using 3's to wipeout multiple enemies becomes much more viable without the pressure of the clock.

I hope stock matches with 5+ lives don't become annoyingly protracted.

I hope stock matches with 5+ lives don't become annoyingly protracted.

I can see them lasting longer for sure, but I think that could make it more exciting at the same time. Plus the really good players will probably start knocking down lives pretty fast so others will have to play smart and keep up. Personally I am okay with matches going 5-6 minutes in stock mode. Don't see how it would last longer than that unless everyone just holds level 3s, but that wouldn't be smart since in this build every AP you earn after getting the level 3 is lost after executing.

Oh, and played around with parappa tonight and put some of those combos Mink, myself, and others have discovered and it was so much fun wrecking havoc from the air and on the ground.

I can see them lasting longer for sure, but I think that could make it more exciting at the same time. Plus the really good players will probably start knocking down lives pretty fast so others will have to play smart and keep up. Personally I am okay with matches going 5-6 minutes in stock mode. Don't see how it would last longer than that unless everyone just holds level 3s, but that wouldn't be smart since in this build every AP you earn after getting the level 3 is lost after executing.

Oh, and played around with parappa tonight and put some of those combos Mink, myself, and others have discovered and it was so much fun wrecking havoc from the air and on the ground.

I'm talking 1v1 matches specifically. If there's no items, no stage hazards present then some matches are going to be LONG.

I'm talking 1v1 matches specifically. If there's no items, no stage hazards present then some matches are going to be LONG.

Well wouldn't you set 1v1 matches to time-based? Stock seems better for a full house

Dont forget you can adjust AP gain and all that. I am curious to tinker with the settings, and create something more competitive and fun. I really want to hear about CTF and King of the Hill, though I hope King of the Hill is like the suggestion I made earlier about an oddball mode (from Halo)

Well wouldn't you set 1v1 matches to time-based? Stock seems better for a full house

Dont forget you can adjust AP gain and all that. I am curious to tinker with the settings, and create something more competitive and fun. I really want to hear about CTF and King of the Hill, though I hope King of the Hill is like the suggestion I made earlier about an oddball mode (from Halo)

I want to play 3x AP, 3 minutes, FFA, Dojo. and just see what calamity would ensue. lol

anyone have more connection problem for the last two days? I barely got into match recently, got 'failed to negotiate match' or something . it work great before. :(

SSReborn

Man was just in the 1 v 1 v 1 playing as sly were it went OT and it got so intense because everyone knew how to dodge specials effectively then it cut off :(

SSReborn

Happened twice last night for me...hate it

Yeah I know its such a buzzkill.

So there was something about Sly that I couldn't for the life of me figure out. Why sometimes he knocks people away with his two cane swipes (square, square) and why at other times he doesn't. It turns out that if you hit the person from behind they will get knocked away on the second hit always. Whereas if you hit the person from the front they won't get knocked back from the cane swipes. I'm trying to figure out if this leads to any interesting combo situations.

Yeah I know its such a buzzkill.

So there was something about Sly that I couldn't for the life of me figure out. Why sometimes he knocks people away with his two cane swipes (square, square) and why at other times he doesn't. It turns out that if you hit the person from behind they will get knocked away on the second hit always. Whereas if you hit the person from the front they won't get knocked back from the cane swipes. I'm trying to figure out if this leads to any interesting combo situations.

Props to sly players, I tried to get good with him but just can't and he isn't a fun character for me to use. A lot of his moves require close proximity and I get destroyed with him in those areas, that and I have a hard time chaining things with him. By far my least favorite character of the 6.

In fact if I were to list them, my preference would be:

1. Fat Princess
2. PaRappa
3. Radec
4. Kratos
5. Sweet Tooth
6. Sly

TheMink

Ok parappa combo thats kinda hilarious.

Circle>Down Square>Repeat until threashold is hit :p

Its not very applicable and its harder than it seems, but you can can do:

Circle>Down Square>X2>Up square(Hold)>Circle>Square>Square.

Or

Circle>Down Square>X2>Side Square>Up Square

:3

That has more uses.

EDIT: ok those last two are kick ass.

So I had a good friend of mine over yesterday and we were playing on a team, locally. I ended up switching to Kratos, he kept using Fat Princess and man were we tearing it up. I had so much fun! Way more fun than I do alone, that's for sure. I even heard someone yell "FUCK YOU KRATOS" at one point, we were laughing so hard.

I started to really get Kratos' combos down, a lot of them are great for setting up aerial combos and stuff, you'd be surprised how easy it is to dick people over with those blade grab attacks.

So I had a good friend of mine over yesterday and we were playing on a team, locally. I ended up switching to Kratos, he kept using Fat Princess and man were we tearing it up. I had so much fun! Way more fun than I do alone, that's for sure. I even heard someone yell "FUCK YOU KRATOS" at one point, we were laughing so hard.

I started to really get Kratos' combos down, a lot of them are great for setting up aerial combos and stuff, you'd be surprised how easy it is to dick people over with those blade grab attacks.

Not surprised the least bit. Kratos is a tornado. Even if he f's up, he goes right into another move. Very annoying.

They need to bring back old Kratos with lower AP gain and less responsiveness. He was really better that way

TheMink

Ok so this is really weird.

That combo in posted above, i cannot do it on ps3. I just cant for some reason.

Im going to swap my controller really quick to see if that changes anything...

Nope, same problem.

TheMink

Nah it's not just you. On the beta, some of the character data for the Vita version is slightly outdated. In this case, the startup on PaRappa neutral circle has been adjusted by a few frames. This has already been corrected and won't be an issue come release.

Clock

From the other thread.

In response to my inabilty to do certain combos on ps3 that i can on vita Clock swiftly reaponded!

So no worries :)

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Am I the only person that thinks that playing on the Vita is better than playing on the big screen?

I think the 5" screen of the Vita helps me take in the entire match/map, whereas, my HDTV is 40", and even though I sit a good distance away from it, it's a big TV, and it feels like it's easier for me to get thrown off on the big screen.

That, and I just love curling up under the covers on my bed, and playing this awesome game on my Vita! :p

Am I the only person that thinks that playing on the Vita is better than playing on the big screen?

I think the 5" screen of the Vita helps me take in the entire match/map, whereas, my HDTV is 40", and even though I sit a good distance away from it, it's a big TV, and it feels like it's easier for me to get thrown off on the big screen.

That, and I just love curling up under the covers on my bed, and playing this awesome game on my Vita! :p

Yes, I think I'm going to play exclusively on the Vita. Such an excellent port. Feels like a second gen vita game that was designed for the system

How long have you played for and what dont u like about the super system?

I played the tutorial and then I went online and played with every character. Some of them multiple times. It's very clear that Smash was the big influence here, that's fine. I think they should have went all out in regards to copying it though. The controls aren't great (for me) and I don't find the Super to Kill-only system very satisfying at all.

I played the tutorial and then I went online and played with every character. Some of them multiple times. It's very clear that Smash was the big influence here, that's fine. I think they should have went all out in regards to copying it though. The controls aren't great (for me) and I don't find the Super to Kill-only system very satisfying at all.

Then go play smash instead since you seem pretty close minded if all you want is a reskinned clone.

What's not good about the controls?

What's not satisfying about the super system?

Fair enough.

SSReborn

The tutorial is truly too basic. It should've covered the importance of comboing and should have also covered the importance of character movement with normals. As well as your various options when it comes to dodging like dodging with the characters normals. That and a training mode would've made this beta much better imo.

SmithnCo

The tutorial is truly too basic. It should've covered the importance of comboing and should have also covered the importance of character movement with normals. As well as your various options when it comes to dodging like dodging with the characters normals. That and a training mode would've made this beta much better imo.

Hopefully there will be combo challenges like Capcom does, to stress the importance of comboing. I forget if this was confirmed or not.

Then go play smash instead since you seem pretty close minded if all you want is a reskinned clone.

What's not good about the controls?

What's not satisfying about the super system?

What is it about this game that brings out so much sensitivity? Everything I've said is all subjective to my own personal tastes.

SSReborn

Hopefully there will be combo challenges like Capcom does, to stress the importance of comboing. I forget if this was confirmed or not.

Yeah there is there are Character Trials that teach you some combos for the characters. They also cover the different ways that the character can dodge supers using their normals. There was a screen shot of it in a magazine a little while back.

What is it about this game that brings out so much sensitivity? Everything I've said is all subjective to my own personal tastes.

I hope both sides of the debate don't paint with a broad brush is all I hope. For instance I have seen many posts wondering how anyone could like this game or that the only ones that would are crazed fanboys, but it's also not fair to say all those that don't like it are sour Nintendo fanboys. Guess the weird thing is the people that love the game have dived a lot deeper into the game and have a hard time understanding some of the complaints, because they are many times the exact opposite opinion they genuinely feel. Realistically though no game clicks with everybody, and thus people have to understand that there are people that genuinely enjoy the game and there are those that genuinely don't.

So I was over at a friend's house today and we played the beta locally 2 vs 2 online for about 4 hours and had an absolute blast. My friend owns nearly every console but is mostly a big time Sony and Nintendo fan owning every console they both put out, and he happens to be big into fighting games including Smash. He is really stoked for this game, and after tonight our excitement for it is through the roof.

We spent most of the night playing as PaRappa (him) and Fatty P (me) and this has to be one of the best duos in the game. We were calling out who had what supers, targeting guys that were in their level 2s and constantly throwing them or hitting them with items, taunting after every screen clear, and just dying laughing off some of the things people were saying online. There were those beautiful moments where a kratos I was chasing with the chicken he would mic pull and allow me to kill then other times we would knock away an opponent when the other went for the kill lol. Oh and we ran into CC when we decided to change up characters, Sweet Tooth (me) and Sly (him) and fought a close match but ultimately CC and his partner edged us out by a kill (or 2 deaths?). Also to start I brought over my Vita and connected online and started a party with him, and used it as a controller by watching the TV rather than the controller. We were both blown away by the accuracy of the inputs from my Vita over the internet to the TV. It had an indistinguishable amount of delay.

Anyway just wanted to say that the game is great fun when playing with somebody and talking with them. Can't wait to invite friends over and have Free For All fights at the place. I know most Gaffers are the silent type online, but I like to talk, and feel it adds so much to the experience of this game. So hope on the mic if you see me online.

SmithnCo

Really need a mute all option.

Yeah, I pretty much play with the volume down because chances are there's some annoying whistling or something happening and muting all every time is a chore. Hopefully in the full game you can mute by default, and hopefully unmute friends/teammates.

Top Bottom