• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

tranciful

Got to play this at a party. This game gets way too much hate. I'm thinking of getting it and I watched the gametrailers review -- they basically complain that it isn't smash bros.

This game is about resources. When people say the general combat doesn't matter because you can only kill with supers, they obviously don't know what they're talking about. You want to generate meter as fast as you can so you have the most opportunities to get kills. You want to bait supers and throw people to slow your opponents. I miss the ring-outs, but there's a different strategy at play and it's still quite fun.

is the netcode good? will probably pick it up if so

whitehawk

Banned
Add me on PSN. I need some people to play online with (also to get that play versus online achievement).

Quote my post to see my PSN ID.

PowderedToast

Got to play this at a party. This game gets way too much hate. I'm thinking of getting it and I watched the gametrailers review -- they basically complain that it isn't smash bros.

This game is about resources. When people say the general combat doesn't matter because you can only kill with supers, they obviously don't know what they're talking about. You want to generate meter as fast as you can so you have the most opportunities to get kills. You want to bait supers and throw people to slow your opponents. I miss the ring-outs, but there's a different strategy at play and it's still quite fun.

is the netcode good? will probably pick it up if so

it used to be, it's been borked atm but hopefully it is fixed soon

That disconnect froze my PS3. Damn it, All Stars! :( That was such an interesting match. I don't feel like Sackboy is poor at all. His balancing was reasonable.

Edit: GGs, Scrafty.

Eh...I'm going to stop playing this for a bit.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Just picked the Vita version up today for $20. I wasn't nuts about the beta, but after giving the game a fair shot I think it's great and is well suited for portable gaming.

The last boss is a hoot! I love how it tosses out lines from the old Playstation print ads!

Vodh

the fuck is up with those tekken icons? aside from the inclusion of ling they're much worse. why don't they fix raiden's instead?

also, back on the main-less wagon. raiden is op, so winning is less satisfying and losing feels worse, and everyone else... well, they ain't raiden...

whitehawk

Banned
I think I may start using Ratchet. His 2nd super is really powerful. I just managed 2 get 4 kills with it, probably could have managed 5 or 6 if I got lucky.

Just picked the Vita version up today for $20. I wasn't nuts about the beta, but after giving the game a fair shot I think it's great and is well suited for portable gaming.

The last boss is a hoot! I love how it tosses out lines from the old Playstation print ads!

WAIT WHAT? MINDBLOWN.JPG

Ran rp

"You are not E" is the most recognizable one.

That's the only one I remember. It would have been cool if he said something along the lines of "Live in your world, DIE in mine!" or "Play Beyond... THE GRAVE!"

I kind of want a story patch or DLC where SuperBot actually goes all out with it. If BioWare can do it, so can SuperBot, lol.

Radec is so fucking annoying to fight. Run away and snipe x infinity.

RADEKILLING 101:

The best strategy for taking him on is to not take him on.

Put him in a position in which he can't hit you with any of his attacks and therefore can't gain any AP, which forces him to either approach you or reposition himself. Either one gives you a window in which you can smack him around a little bit and keep the pressure on him.

If he refuses to move even if he's not hitting anyone, just approach him from the air. He only has two reliable anti-air attacks, and most braindead Radec players don't know to use them on reaction. Just play it safe and stay out of a straight line and you'll be fine.

It's also worth noting that his Supers are actually quite conunterproductive to his playstyle in that they're easier to dodge from afar. If you see a Radec pop a Super, just move away so you have more time to dodge.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
This strategy is Radec-player approved. A lot of people just straight up run right for me after I manage to shake 'em off, and unless your name is Kratos, that's usually a free sniper shot.

He can't delay his sniper shot though right?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Yeah, that's the case. I dodge it all the time.

Then it's far from a free sniper shot lol everyone can just jump dodge it and keep rushing towards him then.

Yeah, the time for it to come out is fixed. I WISH I could delay it until I saw an opening like a real sniper. :(
Yup this is why even though ratchets isn't full screen the fact he can aim it, do it in the air, AND Delay it make it soooo much freaking better

Noi

Then it's far from a free sniper shot lol everyone can just jump dodge it and keep rushing towards him then.

I said usually. :p How it often goes is that the chasing offender thinks they can land a hit before the sniper goes off, and unless you're Kratos or have another quick mid-range attack, the opponent just gets blown away. People who know better can jump over it all day.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Seems like the costume code won't work in Asian versions of the game. :(

I thought it'd work because it'd be tied to the account that logged in.

Capcpom might be terrible if there's one thing they did right, it's DLC working on all regions regardless on where you bought it from.

ptown

I personally find Raidens combos very unfulfilling, especially when every one ends with jump and mash square repeatedly.
You can do a triangle at the end if you want, but that doesnt change the AP output and it also has a greater chance to miss and enemy thats to high.

I.e there is not point to changing the combo to triangle at the end instead of just square.

For the purpose of comboing for AP tor AP threshold combos, I agree: relying on a simple, reliable combo is fine and varying it up may not be necessary.

But for other purposes (non AP threshold combos), I think varying the combo does make for more interesting/strategical choices in the game. For one thing, you may not always have or be given the opportunity to do full AP threshold combos in the first place due to a variety of reasons: stage/platforms, threat of interruption/supers, etc so ending/aborting the combo early or differently may be better.

Another reason for varying combos is that you may want the opponent to end up in certain areas of the stage. For example, you may want to hit your opponents into stage hazards by spiking them with Raidens dive kick (forward + triangle). One cool way I have yet to try to kill someone on the floating ship stage is to spike them in the hole in middle of the two floating ships then kill them when they respawn dizzy.

You may also want to end your combos differently to direct your opponent toward your teammates super. It may be situational, but just throwing some ideas out there.

Thoraxes

We should have updates in the OP as to which version is the current version of the game.

All these patch differences are hurting my brain.

It's:

PS3: 1.03
Vita: 1.02

But not in all regions, right?

Top Bottom