• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

It's not even as much about being able to kill rather than how fuckin good it is at killing. The other 3 rare items are worth fighting for cause they give you the edge in a fight for a moment and others need to adapt. With Medusa if you get it and successfully use it (and that is way too easy for one) you gain potentially huge point advantage for rest of the match with 0 impact for your AP building metagame. This item is especially gamebreaking in small stages like Dojo and god have mercy if it ever spawns in stowaways first part. I hope its not possible tho.

The Medusa item is closer to level 2 than 1 in power and that alone should have rung a few bells at superbot.

It's not even as much about being able to kill rather than how fuckin good it is at killing. The other 3 rare items are worth fighting for cause they give you the edge in a fight for a moment and others need to adapt. With Medusa if you get it and successfully use it (and that is way too easy for one) you gain potentially huge point advantage for rest of the match with 0 impact for your AP building metagame. This item is especially gamebreaking in small stages like Dojo and god have mercy if it ever spawns in stowaways first part. I hope its not possible tho.

The Medusa item is closer to level 2 than 1 in power and that alone should have rung a few bells at superbot.

I could have sworn they said Medusa's head was supposed to be this big risky item that requires a lot of start up/skill to use or something. I thought it was never going to be as easy as it is now to use.

I first got my chance yesterday when I picked up a purple item, presuming it to be that fireworks item, pressed the attack button, managed to petrify a guy, and quickly took him out. Pure luck, pure chance of my happening to be there when it spawned, and absolutely no effort to use.

I could have sworn they said Medusa's head was supposed to be this big risky item that requires a lot of start up/skill to use or something. I thought it was never going to be as easy as it is now to use.

I first got my chance yesterday when I picked up a purple item, presuming it to be that fireworks item, pressed the attack button, managed to petrify a guy, and quickly took him out. Pure luck, pure chance of my happening to be there when it spawned, and absolutely no effort to use.

The only risky thing about Medusa is that others can kill the stoned players too. This however doesn't make it balanced in any way because somebody will get free kill(s) in the end anyway. That actually makes the item even more borken.

I kinda prefer stock lives personally. I'm good at avoiding supers but pretty bad at making them haha.

I do too, but not sure how people would react to those drawn out matches. I personally love them, and I feel most do too-- especially if you're playing with partners, it's not as if the host will quit, because he has a friend still playing.

They should honestly rotate. I'm tired of timed, and I agree that both Stock and Kill Limit, to an extent, are really more compelling, at least for a seasonal change.

I do wish we had more tweaking options, like "Kill Limit Race" where, once you reach your limit you get eliminated (1st place) then wait for everyone else to finish, or "Team Stock" with a shared AP bar/lives, or the option to steal a life from a partner in Stock when you die (like in SSB).

I wonder if they will add little bonuses like that via updates, once these shitty glitches/bugs get dealt with

So, once Kratos' AP/chain grab gets nerfed/tweaked, how do you guys feel the tiers will be?

Raiden will still probably be on top for the sake of ease-of-use, but I dont think he'd be god/A tier. But everyone else would seem to be in the same pool, with maybe Jak and Dan being on the bottom rung (Jak would benefit from a slight AP gain while I think Dan would benefit from buffed supers, particularly super 2 and super 3).

So, once Kratos' AP/chain grab gets nerfed/tweaked, how do you guys feel the tiers will be?

Raiden will still probably be on top for the sake of ease-of-use, but I dont think he'd be god/A tier. But everyone else would seem to be in the same pool, with maybe Jak and Dan being on the bottom rung (Jak would benefit from a slight AP gain while I think Dan would benefit from buffed supers, particularly super 2 and super 3).
Jak's level 2 should be buffed as well. You can see it coming from a mile away. Though I've never had any real problem with his AP gain, maybe cause I play as Jak the way some/most play as Radec.

Should Big Daddy & Heihachi be buffed as well? I've been playing ranked matches for a while and have yet to come across someone who is good with either of them.

SmithnCo

I think Big daddy's problem is that he's really predicable, you can pretty much know what he's going to try from a mile away. And that plus his rather poor mobility makes him kind of a punching bag most of the time.

Jak's level 2 should be buffed as well. You can see it coming from a mile away. Though I've never had any real problem with his AP gain, maybe cause I play as Jak the way some/most play as Radec.

Should Big Daddy & Heihachi be buffed as well? I've been playing ranked matches for a while and have yet to come across someone who is good with either of them.

I've seen good Jak players as well, but someone like Ratchet easily outclasses him.

Heihachi is fine. Damn good AP gain, killer super 2, however inconsistent. And I believe he can hit confirm into his super 1. He's a bit too melee-oriented to deal with anyone with ranged attacks, but I'd be careful with touching him. It's too bad about his super 3, as it really limits his potential. Lazy super. If he had a proper super 3 he'd be so much better than he is now.

As for Big Daddy, I like him, though he's challenging. If anything, his super 3 needs to be slightly longer (I find it doesnt last too long and is pretty much a safer super 2, but it's not worth the cost). Basically, his spotty super 2 (Depending on how you activate it) makes it better to rely on his super 3, but his super 3 doesn't net him enough to make it worth the effort. Maybe make his super 2 stun enemies like Raiden? What makes him predictable is that most go for his super 2 since his super 1 isn't as reliable as others. The big problem is his super 2's predictability. It's also REALLY easy to counter it, making him waste his super.

Heihachis counter needs to be buffed to be on par with Sly, Kratos, Raiden, Dante... That opening after it is way too long compared to others and you cant even hitconfirm with it. Othervise he is fine.

Raiden needs that short delay on his lvl 1 or just plain cost increase. Kratos only needs delay on his chaingrab. Sackboys gumball should be buffed back since its near useless now. Jak lvl 2 needs AOE below him and slight buff on ap. Fat Princess lvl 3 needs to last longer. Sir Dan needs buff for his lvl 3 and slight ap buff. Sweet still needs his terrible lvl 2 buffed. Big Daddy is fine imo.

OmegaZero

My only complaint with Raiden is how easily he can combo into his level 1.
Especially from a throw.

Can you dodge Kratos' chain grab while you're in midair, btw?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
My only complaint with Raiden is how easily he can combo into his level 1.
Especially from a throw.

Can you dodge Kratos' chain grab while you're in midair, btw?

Ughh Raiden has a million different ways to confirm that lvl 1... hell some of this longer combos can be finished off with his level 1, so in the end you still have more than enough AP left over for another. My cousin and I do pretty well at this game, so we get a TON of trash talkers/hate mail, asking for 1v1... but what's the point? 90% of the time they are Raiden's, which IMO is a horribly one sided matchup.

whitehawk

Banned
Big problem I'm starting to realize about this game.

There are combos, which are fine. But there is no way to break out of them unless another player happens to hit the person attacking you. Smash Bros doesn't have combos the same way this game does. People like Raiden and Dante often get me into 3-4 second combos in which I am helpless.

Heihachis counter needs to be buffed to be on par with Sly, Kratos, Raiden, Dante... That opening after it is way too long compared to others and you cant even hitconfirm with it. Othervise he is fine.

Raiden needs that short delay on his lvl 1 or just plain cost increase. Kratos only needs delay on his chaingrab. Sackboys gumball should be buffed back since its near useless now. Jak lvl 2 needs AOE below him and slight buff on ap. Fat Princess lvl 3 needs to last longer. Sir Dan needs buff for his lvl 3 and slight ap buff. Sweet still needs his terrible lvl 2 buffed. Big Daddy is fine imo.

I am OK with all this happening.

I agree, Heihachi's counter is a joke. Talk about punishing a defensive move. Meanwhile, relentless as fuck Raiden, Dante, and Kratos get an easy defensive counter at little to no risk. Ace offense. Ace defence. Dat balance.

I dont think Kratos' chaingrab should have ever been lock-on friendly, especially in mid-air. There's a lot I'd like to see done, everything which has been brought up in this thread before.

Wouldn't mind Sackboy's jelly increased by 5 AP either. Agreed with Jak, and I still think the best tweak for Fat P's super 3 is if she can run around the stage collecting AP Cake.

Much bigger AoE on Sweet's Super 2 is a must, that's the only feasible thing they could do at this point.

I disagree with Sir Dan's AP gain, he gains AP quite fast, but he needs his Super 2 and 3 buffed. His Super 1 seems tricky, but that is what a super 1 is all about.

However, Super 2 is easy to dodge, really, and super 3 is just not effective at dealing with enemies in such a short time, especially on larger levels.

Leezard

There are combos, which are fine. But there is no way to break out of them unless another player happens to hit the person attacking you. Smash Bros doesn't have combos the same way this game does. People like Raiden and Dante often get me into 3-4 second combos in which I am helpless.

Yeah, one thing I actually prefer about Smash Bros is that you can only perform certain combos at certain % damage. Your combo might work when the enemy has 40%, but it sure as hell won't work when he has 120%. Another combo might work when the enemy is between 70% and 100%, but not when he is lower and not when he is higher. It does at least ensure that you cannot use a single combo all the time.

Metal B

PlayStation All-Star looks like a Smash Bros. game, but it has much more the design-philosophy of an Street Fighter game. Basically such stuff as long combos and learning how to do them were elements Nintendo wanted to avoid with the Smash Bros. Series.

Spinluck

PlayStation All-Star looks like a Smash Bros. game, but it has much more the design-philosophy of an Street Fighter game. Basically such stuff as long combos and learning how to do them were elements Nintendo wanted to avoid with the Smash Bros. Series.

I find that to be bullshit personally.

But I guess there are similarities.

SmithnCo

Yeah, the combo stuff feels more like a traditional fighter, where it's not uncommon to be caught in long combo strings. Smash is more of the outlier, with a de-emphasis on combos.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

I disagree on the last part - even if Brawl's physics was poor comboing is pretty much existent there. If anything else, I like it that the attacks aren't "restricted" to a specific string in Smash games.

I find that to be bullshit personally.

But I guess there are similarities.
Yeah, the combo stuff feels more like a traditional fighter, where it's not uncommon to be caught in long combo strings. Smash is more of the outlier, with a de-emphasis on combos.

You can see it... but only in small aspects. It's more akin to Naruto Ultimate Ninja games.

OmegaZero

I consider myself pretty damn good at dodging and i think i've done it once. And thats a maybe.

So it's possible? :b

Ughh Raiden has a million different ways to confirm that lvl 1... hell some of this longer combos can be finished off with his level 1, so in the end you still have more than enough AP left over for another. My cousin and I do pretty well at this game, so we get a TON of trash talkers/hate mail, asking for 1v1... but what's the point? 90% of the time they are Raiden's, which IMO is a horribly one sided matchup.

Tell me about it.
To get the same kind of kill (combo into Lv1 super), I (Dante) have to know a specific technique that requires quickly-pressed, precise button presses. Laggy match? Forget about it.

But as I already said earlier, I'd prefer a overall buff to characters that need it to a nerf, allowing them to compete with the Kratoses and Raidens out there.

A guy can dream...

Metal B

I disagree on the last part - even if Brawl's physics was poor comboing is pretty much existent there. If anything else, I like it that the attacks aren't "restricted" to a specific string in Smash games.
The problem against my answer is, that Sakurai himself said this about his inspiration for the Smash Bros. Series (which never started as an Nintendo Fighter). He is a big fan of fighting game, but later in his life had no time to learn moves, combos, character, etc. from newer fighting games and always felt, that sticking in a big combo, was boring (also trying to develop a four player fighting for the Nintendo 64). So he created the prototype of the Smash Bros. game, where he tried to find solutions around his personal problems. It is properly the reason, why he did not like Melee that much. Since it moved the series into a direction, he original wanted to avoid. (The source are his Brawl and Kid Icarus Iwata Asks interviews)

PlayStation All-Stars has a complete different background. Many developers of the game are big fans of fighting games with the Street Fighter formula. No wonder the game follows much more its formula and they intentional were trying to develop an relationship with the fighting-game community.

whitehawk

Banned
But Street Fighter has combo breakers no? This game does not.

Noi

But Street Fighter has combo breakers no? This game does not.

Other way around. There's a set limit to how long you can combo an enemy in All-Stars, which forces the combo to end. Street Fighter has no such limit, but relies on stuff like hitstun scaling to prevent combos from going on forever.

shaowebb

I don't own a PS3 but I finally got to try this out the other day for awhile. Jak is a pretty fun run and gun character and both Raiden and Kratos seemed like great combo cast for long juggles. What surprised me was Big Daddy though.

At first I couldn't get anything going with Big Daddy and then I discovered I had safe jump ins using his ice. If I coupled that with his dash moves he had a pretty dickish gameplan for trashing crowds and his plasmids were useful in the form of trap laying to protect a spot I decided to duck out into if I was trying to avoid things getting to overwhelming in the crowds. He seemed tough to get going, but I get the feeling if I picked up a PS3 at some point I may be able to get him to work with careful footsies and ice usage.

Fun game. Definitely faster and different enough from Smash to call it more than just a simple clone. For some reason Big Daddy reminded me of my Ganondorf style of play where I'd setup for big stuff and find ways to duck out of crowds so I could isolate and go for my damage except instead of grabs I was using Ice and traps to setup multiple guys on occasion. Very fun.

Misterhbk

Just throwing this out there but match host should not be able to quit. So annoying when you're dominating and suddenly get disconnected because the host is a bitch.

ascii42

Just throwing this out there but match host should not be able to quit. So annoying when you're dominating and suddenly get disconnected because the host is a bitch.

What they need is a way for it to automatically switch hosts. There's no way to stop the host from turning off their system, or whatever.

SmithnCo

Is there even any penalty for quitting? I know there are online issues right now but consistent quitters should eventually be penalized...

Noi

Is there even any penalty for quitting? I know there are online issues right now but consistent quitters should eventually be penalized...

There's a bonus to EXP for consistently staying in matches even if you're losing, but no penalty for actually quitting.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The problem against my answer is, that Sakurai himself said this about his inspiration for the Smash Bros. Series (which never started as an Nintendo Fighter). He is a big fan of fighting game, but later in his life had no time to learn moves, combos, character, etc. from newer fighting games and always felt, that sticking in a big combo, was boring (also trying to develop a four player fighting for the Nintendo 64). So he created the prototype of the Smash Bros. game, where he tried to find solutions around his personal problems. It is properly the reason, why he did not like Melee that much. Since it moved the series into a direction, he original wanted to avoid. (The source are his Brawl and Kid Icarus Iwata Asks interviews)

PlayStation All-Stars has a complete different background. Many developers of the game are big fans of fighting games with the Street Fighter formula. No wonder the game follows much more its formula and they intentional were trying to develop an relationship with the fighting-game community.

But note that back then it was mostly Game Arts plus some small dev teams helping Smash. Now with Namco also helping out it should iron out his problems.

And yeah that's true... and sadly that's not really going to be helpful if the game's arena plays differently from SF eh? :p

Now that makes a bit more sense.

Much better example.

Although tbqh Narutimate Hero feels tighter than this game.

FIX THE ONLINE SUPERBOT!

I want to actually play a match with Tricky! :mad:

EDIT- Ok hold on... I just noticed my Icon was changed in my profile so I went to change it back and its not there... They switched out some of the Icons with the patch! The hell?! I was using the Yumi Ape Escape Icon but its gone now!

2012-12-11-045432.jpg

Why?

f@luS

More than a member.
I love this game so i keep playing but its a buggy piece of crap. Half of match i do are bad. Aiming missing for radec lvl 3...cant pick item... or worst it takes me another hero instead of mine. When u play ranked it sux. Last super bot game for me

Drencrom

Playing arcade mode with Sir Dan on highest difficulty and it's really tough...

Seriously, why is Sir Dan so fucking bad? I'm getting my ass kicked with him by regular bots, never happens when I use the other characters, and no, it's not that I just suck with him or whatever, he's just worthless and weak. Slowass attacks that are interrupted easily, no combos what so ever, shitty supers etc.

It's actually sad to see him be so weak, he was one of my most hyped characters but he's so bad compared to the others, no redeeming qualities at all except that he's an awesome and goofy character.

Buff him for fuck's sake, Superbot!

Leezard

Seriously, why is Sir Dan so fucking bad? I'm getting my ass kicked with him by regular bots, never happens when I use the other characters, and no, it's not that I just suck with him or whatever, he's just worthless and weak. Slowass attacks that are interrupted easily, no combos what so ever, shitty supers etc.

It's actually sad to see him be so weak, he was one of my most hyped characters but he's so bad compared to the others, no redeeming qualities at all except for that he's an awesome and goofy character.

dude, up for 2v2?

Vysetron

Neo Member

It's actually sad to see him be so weak, he was one of my most hyped characters but he's so bad compared to the others, no redeeming qualities at all except that he's an awesome and goofy character.

He has a couple good moves and super setups, but his combos are lacking and he's slow. He's really only strong against bad players right now. I was super excited for him too, so it's sad times.

AAK

Smh at best buy. I still haven't revived my pre order costume code so I lodged a complaint about it to their customer service. This is the reply I get:

Hello xxxxx,

We have received your request to see why you have not received the pre-order bonus with your recent PlayStation all stars battle royale purchase on order Xxxxxxxxx. The pre-order bonus is actually included inside the case of the game by the manufacturer. If this has not been included, you will want to contact [manufacturer] for a replacement code. If they are unable to do this, please let us know so we can look into doing a return merchant authorization (RMA).

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Sincerely,

Xxxx
Agent ID xxxxx
Best Buy
Program Support

Automated messages huh? You guys forgot to add the manufacturers name. How the heck am I supposed to prove to them that it doesn't come in the box and they're supposed to email it to me? Seriously, this is one major advantage to buying things with DD so you don't have to deal with the retailer's shenanigans.

Top Bottom