• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Experience 2016 Attendees Thread: California Here We Come!

JEKKI

I'm back! and a little bummed that I didnt get the $10 badge scanning credit, but the amount of work I woulda had to do in order to get it doesnt seem to make it worth it lol, so I'm cool there!

another L would be the 2 hours I waited to play Ace Combat. I never experienced VR before, and was bored at 2:30PM so said F it, may as well just get in line. All that waiting and I died in like 5 minutes coz I couldnt figure out how to play the game and ended up crashing in the water >_< again, I've never VR'd before so I thought an arplane game would give me the best first-time experience, but now I regret not trying Batman or GT instead...

on the bright side, I had my share of wins during the show!

Win the first, free parking!! Thank you to one of the nearby neighborhoods for letting me park all weekend and not towing or ticketing me! it's been a while since I've been to Anaheim convention center but if I ever need to go again I'll do so with the wisdom of knowing the best place to park!

and win 2, shout outs to Shane "Mango D" Bettenhausen for retweeting this fantastic message:

1Y826iDl.png

it's safe to say, I came home with pretty much the best convention swag than anyone else...

fXoEvtLl.jpg

as I was outside walking away with these, I crossed another 2 ppl carrying some as well,

we all looked at each other and were like "aww yeay o t t o m a n b o y z!"

overall good times! never heard of PSX before but had fun and am glad I went! Since they keep moving it I wonder where it'll be next year?

Ahhhhh almost got a full set of the cards except for the Rain World card. Adult Swim ran out so early. Anyone here got an extra they'd be willing to trade perhaps?

alemmon

Impressions from the show:
It was a lot of fun. I got the whole collection of cards and so did one of my friends. I have the entire collection for the past 3 years. They were a lot easier to get than last year, at least I thought so. It felt more crowded than in years past but also felt like there was less to play....

Games I played: Simple impressions.

Horizon Zero Dawn was fantastic. I walked away feeling confident in the game. It felt very responsive and the world was interesting, even though we were allowed pretty limited freedom. Hunting the mechanical beasts was great. (It also looks so much better on PS4Pro).

GT Sport (VR) was a blast. The resolution seemed a bit low but man was it still fun. I spun out and it was trippy. I felt a bit disoriented and I was laughing pretty hard due to how crazy it felt.

Let It Die was okay. The booth was a little much for me. The game itself is over the top violent and controlled fine. Probably something I wont try at home.

Deaths Gambit was great. Side scrolling action game and seemed to be a challenge like Salt and Sanctuary. I didnt play this too long due to wanting to get to a panel but what I played I really liked.

Pyre is my surprise of the show! I loved this game. The music is simply beautiful and the combat system (once learned) is so much fun. The art is breath taking and I think this just jumped to one of my most anticipated games. Really loved it.

Gang Beasts was one of the most entertaining things to watch on the show floor. There was one TV and lots of people around it laughing and cheering. It was quite the experience playing and having a ton of people laughing at deaths and the goofy animations in the game. It was fun.

Persona 5! The demo was too short. Of course it did what it was supposed to. Give you a quick glimpse of the game and made to mad that the game doesnt come out until April now. Its beautiful!

Games I wanted to play but didnt have time... Cosmic Star Heroine, Hearth Forth Alicia, Ys Origin, Farpoint, Psychonauts VR and Ace Combat 7.

PROS:
PEOPLE! Great people to talk to. Playstation fans to talk to in line and everyone for the most part were nice and just wanting to talk and share thoughts about the games they played and the games they loved. Had some great conversations about various things with random strangers.

Employees! The Playstation crew were great. Gio was awesome. On the floor talking to people and just excited to be there. I met Andrew House! he was amazing! He seemed thrilled to be talking to everyone. I saw Shu on the street one night and said hi! The employees at every booth were happy and really helped create a great place to be.

Cards! They were easier to get.... if you were willing to bargain with employees. I got the Ace Combat one as long as I was willing to give the girl some compliments (I am not kidding). The Capcom girl at the end of the first day gave us our Resident Evil cards if my friend gave the employees a dance show.

Cons:

Lines were crazy long, especially for VR. Farpoint was 4.5 hour wait.

Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom! Its not that the game is bad, because it looks very fun. The thing that was angering is that it was one of the booths that had a free game attached. I got in line with 8 people in front of me. There is no time limit for them and they could play all 3 stages if they wanted. With an hour before the Last of Us Part 2 panel I thought I would have no problem knocking this out. Come time for the panel, there were still 4 people in front of me. I said screw it and went to the panel. I came back the next day and it was the first one I went to. 12 people in front of me. 2 hours until PS I Love You XOXO panel. The guy went to go to the bathroom and handed is phone over to the Hand of Fate guy. I explained my situation to him and he scanned my badge. Very nice of him. My complaint is that the demo really should have been timed or relegated to one area. Yes you got a lot more people to try it because of the free game attached but a lot of people in line were very unhappy with how the demo was managed.

I played more games and would be willing to answer any questions people may have about any of the games or the show itself. I cant wait for next year. Such a fun time.

finalflame

Horizon Zero Dawn was fantastic. I walked away feeling confident in the game. It felt very responsive and the world was interesting, even though we were allowed pretty limited freedom. Hunting the mechanical beasts was great. (It also looks so much better on PS4Pro).

Awesome retrospective, however, are you referring to the version being played at their booth? If so, I believe that was on a regular PS4. The version being demoed near the PlayStation area (with all the hardware and Skyrim SE, etc) was a demo for the Pro version. It was not playable by attendees but I got to see a demo of event staff playing it (took a off-screen video, need to get it off my camera/crop/upload).

At least this was my understanding talking to the attendant at the Horizon: ZD booth.

alemmon

Awesome retrospective, however, are you referring to the version being played at their booth? If so, I believe that was on a regular PS4. The version being demoed near the PlayStation area (with all the hardware and Skyrim SE, etc) was a demo for the Pro version. It was not playable by attendees but I got to see a demo of event staff playing it (took a off-screen video, need to get it off my camera/crop/upload).

At least this was my understanding talking to the attendant at the Horizon: ZD booth.

Oh sorry. I played it on the regular PS4 and watched them play it on the Pro. It looked stunning on Pro. I did not play it on Pro.

Impressions from the show:
It was a lot of fun. I got the whole collection of cards and so did one of my friends. I have the entire collection for the past 3 years. They were a lot easier to get than last year, at least I thought so. It felt more crowded than in years past but also felt like there was less to play....

Games I played: Simple impressions.

GT Sport (VR) was a blast. The resolution seemed a bit low but man was it still fun. I spun out and it was trippy. I felt a bit disoriented and I was laughing pretty hard due to how crazy it felt.

Let It Die was okay. The booth was a little much for me. The game itself is over the top violent and controlled fine. Probably something I wont try at home.

Deaths Gambit was great. Side scrolling action game and seemed to be a challenge like Salt and Sanctuary. I didnt play this too long due to wanting to get to a panel but what I played I really liked.

Pyre is my surprise of the show! I loved this game. The music is simply beautiful and the combat system (once learned) is so much fun. The art is breath taking and I think this just jumped to one of my most anticipated games. Really loved it.

Gang Beasts was one of the most entertaining things to watch on the show floor. There was one TV and lots of people around it laughing and cheering. It was quite the experience playing and having a ton of people laughing at deaths and the goofy animations in the game. It was fun.

Persona 5! The demo was too short. Of course it did what it was supposed to. Give you a quick glimpse of the game and made to mad that the game doesnt come out until April now. Its beautiful!

Games I wanted to play but didnt have time... Cosmic Star Heroine, Hearth Forth Alicia, Ys Origin, Farpoint, Psychonauts VR and Ace Combat 7.

PROS:
PEOPLE! Great people to talk to. Playstation fans to talk to in line and everyone for the most part were nice and just wanting to talk and share thoughts about the games they played and the games they loved. Had some great conversations about various things with random strangers.

Employees! The Playstation crew were great. Gio was awesome. On the floor talking to people and just excited to be there. I met Andrew House! he was amazing! He seemed thrilled to be talking to everyone. I saw Shu on the street one night and said hi! The employees at every booth were happy and really helped create a great place to be.

Cards! They were easier to get.... if you were willing to bargain with employees. I got the Ace Combat one as long as I was willing to give the girl some compliments (I am not kidding). The Capcom girl at the end of the first day gave us our Resident Evil cards if my friend gave the employees a dance show.

Cons:

Lines were crazy long, especially for VR. Farpoint was 4.5 hour wait.

Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom! Its not that the game is bad, because it looks very fun. The thing that was angering is that it was one of the booths that had a free game attached. I got in line with 8 people in front of me. There is no time limit for them and they could play all 3 stages if they wanted. With an hour before the Last of Us Part 2 panel I thought I would have no problem knocking this out. Come time for the panel, there were still 4 people in front of me. I said screw it and went to the panel. I came back the next day and it was the first one I went to. 12 people in front of me. 2 hours until PS I Love You XOXO panel. The guy went to go to the bathroom and handed is phone over to the Hand of Fate guy. I explained my situation to him and he scanned my badge. Very nice of him. My complaint is that the demo really should have been timed or relegated to one area. Yes you got a lot more people to try it because of the free game attached but a lot of people in line were very unhappy with how the demo was managed.

I played more games and would be willing to answer any questions people may have about any of the games or the show itself. I cant wait for next year. Such a fun time.
Ahh was waiting for your impressions buddy. I'll give it a read later

Btw I asked the others and they didnt respond but was it the same demo from egx and bgs?

finalflame

Oh sorry. I played it on the regular PS4 and watched them play it on the Pro. It looked stunning on Pro. I did not play it on Pro.

Ah my bad! Yah seems like we are saying the same thing. It did look absolutely stunning on Pro. The other thing that also looked stunning was GT Sport on the $60k 100" Z9D. It was quite a treat to see that TV in person!

alemmon

Ah my bad! Yah seems like we are saying the same thing. It did look absolutely stunning on Pro. The other thing that also looked stunning was GT Sport on the $60k 100" Z9D. It was quite a treat to see that TV in person!

Oh yeah that was quite cool looking. I am not really a racing guy, but that looked stunning on the pro. The whole pro booth was pretty cool and the games looked amazing. While I was not particularly blown away by Shadow of Mordor, Uncharted 4 and Last of Us looked insane. Made me want a Pro even more.

alemmon

Is anyone else having issues redeeming some rewards from the PSX 2016 app?

Are you doing it on the web browser? I did them through the mobile app and had no problems, but doing it on the web browser I had an error every time for the Mother Russia game.

Spenny

Are you doing it on the web browser? I did them through the mobile app and had no problems, but doing it on the web browser I had an error every time for the Mother Russia game.
I'm doing it in the mobile app. It's only really the Persona and Windjammers themes I'm having issues with. Also, does anybody know if the Windjammers theme you got through playing the game at the show is the same as the one you got from doing the free quest on PlayStation Live?

Fisty

My games to watch from the show:

Cryptark: bad name, great game. It drew a lot of comparisons to Galak-z according to the dev, but was a bit different. Rogue-lite (or like, if you choose that path), procedural levels, traditional twin stick (no momentum-style flight like Galak-z) and had a strong Aliens/Giger look. Seemed like your cash earned is your "health" since you work for a space Corp. Really neat look and feel to it.

Nex Machina: It's Housemarque, what more needs to be said

I Expect You to Die: looked like a lot of fun (didn't try) and could be an awesome party game. Cool aesthetic and premise, like being in an early 007 movie and stuck in a room completely full of traps.

Church in the Darkness: probably my favorite game, just based on the premise and watching gameplay. Top-down infiltration gameplay, you have to rescue your sibling from a cult in South america, and how crazy/peaceful/happy/dangerous they are is procedural, so you have no idea if their motivations and actions are what they seem. Looks like a lot of interesting capabilities in regards to gameplay.

Fire and the Flood (I think that's correct): it was a LOT like Don't Starve, but with a different artstyle. For a lot of folks, that is a huge benefit, for me, the more survival games like Don't Starve, the better. Fantastic artstyle and it seemed to have a ton of depth as far as systems go. Loved it.

Battle Chef Brigade: It's like a Vanillaware game thats focused on gathering ingredients and cooking food... yep insta-buy. When adding ingredients and making food, there's a Columns type minigame that just ticks that little puzzle solving efficiency box in the perfect way. And the art was fantastic, like Vanillaware meets Legend of Korra, veryyyyy smooth too.

tr00per

60k!? Well no wonder...

That's a pretty funny story. The guy in the GT sport line gave some out with trivia questions. Where did you see Andrew house?

Thought I'd post about my experience. Was very different than most people's experience since I was an indie exhibitor (Cosmic Star Heroine).

I live in Southern California so I drove to Anaheim the morning before. Besides giving us free booth space, Sony also gave us a free hotel room at one of the adjacent hotels - high quality stuff, much more expensive than I'd ever pay for myself (strictly motels for me). Signed in and then headed to the convention center to set up. Shane Bettenhausen (our main Playstation contact) helped me get our booth set up - there were some issues with our Vita test kit so he ended up taking it with him & then returning it the next game with our game installed.

The next day, I woke up early and got breakfast at a surprisingly good Mediterranean fast food place a couple blocks away from the convention center ($8 for an amazing omelet stuffed with veggies & some pita bread with hummus). I was able to get in the presentation without trouble - they had a separate gate for exhibitors/staff so I didn't have to wait in the huge main line. Played some Soul Hackers while I waited for it to start. Wasn't too excited about what I saw, but that's mostly me not liking mainstream stuff as much these days. I think I weirded people out when I started clapping wildly when I saw the apple dropping at the start of the Gravity Rush 2 free DLC announcement. I actually kind of enjoyed Knack 1 (on Hard mode. Got it for free from Sony), but the sequel footage didn't look like it had the major enhancements the formula needed to go from a decent game to a great one. People around me went crazy for the fighting game announcements & Last of Us 2.

Ran as fast I could from the presentation to our booth and turned everything on quickly. We had 2 PS4 units setup, plus the one Vita unit. Shane & I couldn't figure out how to use the tether cable to secure the Vita so I ended up just carrying it most of the time and handing it out to people who wanted to try it out. Most people who played the Vita version only played it for a few minutes to confirm that the performance was quality (one person brought headphones and played it for quite a while). Everyone seemed really impressed with the Vita build.

Unlike some past conventions we've been to, almost every single person who stopped at our booth seemed to like turn-based RPGs (at E3, there were a bunch of people who stopped in idle curiosity and were very confused when they found out what our game was). Lots of Chrono Trigger & Phantasy Star fans in attendance. Most of the time we were busy, but not ridiculously so - generally both PS4 units were being played & maybe a few people watching them and asking me questions. Definitely no crazy lines like you saw with the big game booths. General response was extremely positive. We had a few media members come to try out the game, but I don't think anyone from the huge sites like IGN or Kotaku.

At one point, Dan Hsu and some other Playstation staff members stopped by to see how I was doing. Among other things, he tried to convince me that we should include a Platinum Trophy in the game. That was something I didn't need convincing of so it's official, Cosmic Star Heroine will have a Platinum trophy. :)

I was manning the booth from the start of the day until about 8pm with only one 20 minute break for dinner so I was exhausted & felt sick by the end of the day. I said hi to a few other developers, but I didn't actually playing anything there. John Hardin stopped by and said I could try out P5 on Sunday before the convention opened (despite the row of P5 demo stations, he said the lines got really long, even up to 200 people at one point), but I was heading back home Saturday night since my partner was in charge of Sunday.

Quite a few people from here stopped by to say hi & try out the game so thanks for all the kind words! Now to go finish the game so everyone can play it. :)

alemmon

I actually saw Andrew House by GT Sport. He was being shown the GT Sport demos and he was talking strategy about GDC and how they will have a setup there. I said hi and he was very gracious.

alemmon

Thought I'd post about my experience. Was very different than most people's experience since I was an indie exhibitor (Cosmic Star Heroine).

I live in Southern California so I drove to Anaheim the morning before. Besides giving us free booth space, Sony also gave us a free hotel room at one of the adjacent hotels - high quality stuff, much more expensive than I'd ever pay for myself (strictly motels for me). Signed in and then headed to the convention center to set up. Shane Bettenhausen (our main Playstation contact) helped me get our booth set up - there were some issues with our Vita test kit so he ended up taking it with him & then returning it the next game with our game installed.

The next day, I woke up early and got breakfast at a surprisingly good Mediterranean fast food place a couple blocks away from the convention center ($8 for an amazing omelet stuffed with veggies & some pita bread with hummus). I was able to get in the presentation without trouble - they had a separate gate for exhibitors/staff so I didn't have to wait in the huge main line. Played some Soul Hackers while I waited for it to start. Wasn't too excited about what I saw, but that's mostly me not liking mainstream stuff as much these days. I think I weirded people out when I started clapping wildly when I saw the apple dropping at the start of the Gravity Rush 2 free DLC announcement. I actually kind of enjoyed Knack 1 (on Hard mode. Got it for free from Sony), but the sequel footage didn't look like it had the major enhancements the formula needed to go from a decent game to a great one. People around me went crazy for the fighting game announcements & Last of Us 2.

Ran as fast I could from the presentation to our booth and turned everything on quickly. We had 2 PS4 units setup, plus the one Vita unit. Shane & I couldn't figure out how to use the tether cable to secure the Vita so I ended up just carrying it most of the time and handing it out to people who wanted to try it out. Most people who played the Vita version only played it for a few minutes to confirm that the performance was quality (one person brought headphones and played it for quite a while). Everyone seemed really impressed with the Vita build.

Unlike some past conventions we've been to, almost every single person who stopped at our booth seemed to like turn-based RPGs (at E3, there were a bunch of people who stopped in idle curiosity and were very confused when they found out what our game was). Lots of Chrono Trigger & Phantasy Star fans in attendance. Most of the time we were busy, but not ridiculously so - generally both PS4 units were being played & maybe a few people watching them and asking me questions. Definitely no crazy lines like you saw with the big game booths. General response was extremely positive. We had a few media members come to try out the game, but I don't think anyone from the huge sites like IGN or Kotaku.

At one point, Dan Hsu and some other Playstation staff members stopped by to see how I was doing. Among other things, he tried to convince me that we should include a Platinum Trophy in the game. That was something I didn't need convincing of so it's official, Cosmic Star Heroine will have a Platinum trophy. :)

I was manning the booth from the start of the day until about 8pm with only one 20 minute break for dinner so I was exhausted & felt sick by the end of the day. I said hi to a few other developers, but I didn't actually playing anything there. John Hardin stopped by and said I could try out P5 on Sunday before the convention opened (despite the row of P5 demo stations, he said the lines got really long, even up to 200 people at one point), but I was heading back home Saturday night since my partner was in charge of Sunday.

Quite a few people from here stopped by to say hi & try out the game so thanks for all the kind words! Now to go finish the game so everyone can play it. :)

I wanted to stop by, but I really wanted to try games I was on the fence on or never heard of or never tried. I tried Cosmic Star Heroine at the first PSX and its been on my radar since. However my friend wanted to see more RPG's and I sent him to your booth. He came back saying that he was in day 1.

I was already in day 1. And a platinum trophy?!? Oh yeah!

Fisty

That platinum will be mine!!! And please go crazy with the trophy tiles! I love it when the tiles have great art and a lot of care put into them, it makes it a lot of fun to look back at your trophies and remember your time with the game. Great demo this weekend!

Kanashimi

I actually felt this year was worse than the previous two.

The space was strange (usually I really like this center), the keynote/panel room (er, well, area) was smaller, and there was a lot of logistic issues. These were from things in autographs where you couldn't "line" up, but people did anyway... to tickets being thrown at people at random. I was almost hopeful they would have just used the VR meet-up thing they used last year and during E3 for autographs.

The sheer amount of time it took to get everyone in was replusive, it's never been that bad, and a big issue was the fact the panel area was in the same area as the games. What's funny is that the show felt less populated than the previous two! However, there's never been a congestion issue that bad. I spent the beginning of the show talking to devs who couldn't even get in until noon or so.

They didn't follow their own rules. They said they wouldn't allow line-ups until 12:01 (midnight), but people were lined up by 6 PM the first day. Why u do tis?

Merch was also messy, but seemed to find a groove by day two. They also had less issues with items selling out, so that's a plus.

Some people brought the exact same demo as last year, I can't fault Sony, but that was a bit disappointing.

It felt like they were less panels? I remember in at least one of the years there were two panel rooms. There was also an issue of all the "good" (aka popular) panels and autographs were on Saturday. Sunday felt more breathable, but the chances to participate in a lot of things was already over and done.

App also didn't work for me, dunno how I'm gonna get any rewards. xD

I dunno, there were some games I had fun playing: Horizon, Hatsune Miku, Last Guardian, a lot of indie titles like Mages/Chasm, etc.

Either way, I had fun because PlayStation, but I really felt like this year was lackluster.

I hope to see Sony finally move somewhere else in the US for the rest of their fans. They've been pretty attached to the West (I'm from Vegas, so them moving would be expensive for me, but fair's fair) and them being in California for two years seems to cheapen the whole "we're a moving convention!".

All the mascots, handlers, and staff were pretty awesome despite their confusion. I didn't meet a single rude person, and when I asked if we could do something specific they were always down.

They've been pretty attached to the West (I'm from Vegas, so them moving would be expensive for me, but fair's fair) and them being in California for two years seems to cheapen the whole "we're a moving convention!"

To be fair, Las Vegas, NV & Anaheim, CA are a lot closer to each other than Anaheim & San Francisco are to each other despite them both being in California.

tr00per

Thanks for the post that was insightful!

I'll post my impressions in both threads with a tldr at the bottom

Venue:

Hands down the best venue they've used. Convenient and well set up with a good range of nearby hotels. Plenty of bathrooms with drinking fountains. Two food courts plus food trucks. Once the line moved, it moved pretty quickly. I also have to give props for putting a screen outside

Shout out to all the security and BTS crew who kept everything safe and organized. The real MVPs.

Keynote:

The layout with the bleachers and multiple screens and a dedicated press area was pretty smart. The Big Joes in the front were appreciated. I'm not sure about the very back section, however (where the picnic tables were). They probably could have used their own screen.

The presentation itself was great. I got one of my wishes with Crash gameplay (the others being Dreams release date and sucker punch's next game reveal). Naughty dog bookending the show was pretty nuts. I think they should stick to the rapid fire style they've been doing recently. And I do appreciate the psvr and vita love. For the record, I was more surprised by Knack 2 than tlou 2. I mean, Knack 2: keep on knacking? In shinobi we trust.

Of course it lulled in the middle with the obligatory CoD and destiny segment but it had to be there. I felt for Shelby last year but at least they gave her better material this time.

And by the way, sitting with fellow gaffers made it even more exciting.

Show floor:

The layout was good for the most part. I came around to the single floor idea because they struck a good balance between cramped and sparce. I was glad to see the return of the capcom and double fine stores.

I liked that the indie games were sprinkled throughout the floor. There were some nooks and crannies that I didn't discover until the second day, which is good and bad I suppose.

It has to be said that the gear store was a mess again this year. As were the autographs on the first day (gotta give kudos for trying though). And that brings me to the lines.

Now obviously I don't know how much the powers that be have control in this regard, but some of the lines to me were baffling. Somehow the mark was missed on the popularity of many titles. Persona, farpoint, and resident evil being the standouts. Combined with the way some demos were structured, sitting in one line could take a quarter of the whole day.

I missed out on some games because I couldn't brave the lines or I was too busy being stuck in another. Thankfully the majority of employees running the lines were sympathetic with the cards and scans. Shout out to the employee scanning badges for autographs. Life saver right there.

That being said, GT and Horizon had deceptively long lines. I think I played GT 3 times in one hour.

The official cosplay was again a highlight this year. The Horizon hunters (if I remember the name correctly from the demo) were especially cool. I loved how it interacted with the crowd! It was fun seeing it in the entrance line. They even had Crash and a character from Pyre which was nice to see.

I got to meet (and see again) some of my favorite PS people which is one of my favorite aspects of psx.

Games:

One of the best things about psx is getting face to face time with developers, particularly indies or those that you really admire.

I didn't get to play everything I wanted to but I'll post about what I remember:

Crash: it was SO fulfilling to play this. It's all intact. These are the kinds of remasters I can get behind. I found the jumping to be good, but as kdoll said, the movement felt slightly hesitant. I'm not worried anymore, though. It seems to be in good hands.

RIGS: I own it but I got to play locally with some newcomers which was fun even though we got nearly shut out.

3 on 3: I heard people cheering and hooting at this game from far away. My team got dominated but I enjoyed my time with it. It has a good bit of depth to it. I hope it has a real solid netcode because it could be a lot of fun to learn. I'm not much of a sports game fan but it captures the essence of the sports games I do enjoy (like nfl blitz or the street series)

Farpoint : the second game I played. I was told that it was running on a pro. The booth setup was really cool. Waited in line for 105 min (which I was told was mild for that line) for a 3 minute briefing and a 12 minute demo. I was mainly interested in the Aim controller but the game itself had some very interesting mechanics, nice visuals, and good use of scale and 3D audio. I'm happy to report that the Aim controller combined with the body mapping of the game gave a good sense of presence. Having to physically aim down the sights is a really cool experience. The movement didn't make me nauseous at all, which I was worried about after playing Here They Lie. In case anyone was wondering it's less of a rail shooter and more like a traditional fps with semi linear levels.

I know that the devs helped design the aim controller but I would like to see more games make use of it (HOTD overkill 2? Resistance 3 or 4?) and I wonder if they'll bundle it and what the price will be but I'm certainly intrigued.

Horizon: of course it's beautiful but how does it play? Very well, I can finally say. I think this is the game that guerilla was destined to make. I'm really glad that people are starting to see their expertise. I hope this is successful for them. Seeing this on a pro in 4k hdr was a true spectacle.

GT Sport: as an amateur GT fan, it makes me so happy to say that I think they nailed it. I might have been schmoozed a little by the amazing graphics and cockpit setup they had, but the cockpit did include a 2.1 system which highlighted the new audio (which to be frank was balls tingling good). The menus were VERY snappy and simple. I played with and without assists and the driving model was solid. I'm not an expert by any means but it seemed like a good improvement over the ps3 gen. This is the game to show off your ps4 pro.

I probably should have tried out the rally racing but I really wanted to get a chance at...

GT Sport VR: Granted I don't know if this was on a pro or standard ps4 and I have only tried this and the Driveclub VR demo, but I feel like this was better. You still have a resolution drop unfortunately, but something about the driving position and the handling gave a better sense of realism. I even deliberately threw the car around a bit and went off track and didn't get disoriented.

Admittedly though, at this point I have to say that given the choice, I would rather play the game on a TV solely due to the rendering distance. Don't get me wrong, I love the immersion and the sense of psuedo G forces that your brain gives you. However, I think the graphics give you a competitive disadvantage as you can't see the course as clearly as on a TV.

Unfortunately the demo gave you a simple course and no choice of car so I could (hopefully) be wrong and they just wanted the safest environment to demo, but it seemed like they they tried to hide some of these issues with a hilly course and no competitive cars. It's possible that they could have used the system resources on rendering the course rather than the outer environment for better results (which I wouldn't have minded). Perhaps they could have presented it as an in game simulator and put some simple border around the outside. Although it does make me worry about the performance when other cars, weather, or a more complex course are present.

Disc jam: Another game I heard from far away. It was a highlight of the show for sure. One of those easy to learn /hard to master games. Very fast and ruthless. I really enjoyed watching the more high level players. Hearing one of the developers talk about the game and his Industry history with such passion was pretty inspiring.

I feel for the developers that have the more slow/atmospheric type of games because in an event like this they don't demo as well as, say, gang beasts or disc jam.

DAGERS: so this was a demonstration of accessibility functions in games that was really eye opening and very cool. It was something I thought about a lot after I left. I'm really glad that this is something that the industry is adopting and people are working on because without sounding cliche video games are a beautiful experience that everyone should be able to enjoy.

Panels/Capcom cup:

I can't speak for the content of the panels yet, as unfortunately I had to skip all but one for more floor time. I'm going to watch them all once I get home. I will say that having more panels this year was definitely a plus. And having one about accessibility was admirable.

I caught the beginning and end of the capcom cup. I'm not an expert so I probably don't have any good insight but to me it was as exciting as last year, plus having the reveal at the end didn't hurt! Seeing that live amongst hardcore fans definitely amped up the hype.

I should mention that the scanning for the panels was dicey at first for full disclosure.

Rewards:

The rewards situation this year was MUCH improved. The app/badges worked as they should have. The WiFi was up to the task. Once I understood the voucher situation, it was pretty straightforward. The employees at the redemption counter were also very helpful. And the swag itself was good quality. I managed to snag them all. I prefer this to the rare cards they used before.

Misc:

As I said before the atmosphere and the fans at psx are the best part for me.

I saw some really great attendee cosplay this year. Some couples too which was nice to see. My favorite was a dual wielding Roxas.

I kinda wished that they would have put Crash outside with a megaphone to give an opening speech. Any more ways to engage the crowd in line is always welcome. It helps ease the pain of waiting lol.

I was kind of sad when I realized that there was no livestream area. When I sat to eat lunch on Sunday, I discovered it was next to the autograph area. Unfortunately it wasn't as open as last year's though. I did miss having those competitions. I hope they bring that back next year.

My favorite story from this year is when we were trying to arrange a full GT Sport race. Who else but Yamauchi-san walks up to the demo TV. Snake tried to ask him to race with us. I said "are you serious!? You want to race against HIM!?" unfortunately he had to go to a meeting but we still had a fun race regardless

tldr

Pros:
Vouchers and card system, venue and layout, keynote, show floor variety, plenty of VR demos, more panels, swag bags, event staff, capcom cup, crowd, going with fellow gaffers

Cons: looooong lines, gear store and first day autograph madness, where the hell was square?

Overall I think they've improved each year and you bet your ass I'll be there next time!

Edit: kanashimi, we seemed to have very different experiences lol did you try closing and reopening the app?

kng3025

Nice to hear that there's going to be a plat in the game. I was able to stop by and play both the ps4 and vita versions. Game was awesome over all, and enjoyed the heck out of it on the vita. Looks great and runs amazingly. Was nice seeing other vita owners there asking about and trying out the Vita version as well. Cannot wait for this to release.

krae_man

I'm having trouble redeeming my codes. I redeemed Day of the Tentacle and Headlander fine but I got an error entering Mother Russia Bleeds and now every time I click redeem codes I get that same error. Fun.

alemmon

I'm having trouble redeeming my codes. I redeemed Day of the Tentacle and Headlander fine but I got an error entering Mother Russia Bleeds and now every time I click redeem codes I get that same error. Fun.

I literally had the same problem with the same game. I was redeeming on the desktop and then once I switched to the mobile app I had no problem.

Some notes/impressions:

Showed up Saturday morning just after 7 (woke up at 5 but was honestly just really drained from being up early the previous morning to catch my flight). Was lined up at the end wrapped around the outside area a bit past the first food truck. Heard people saying "we definitely aren't getting into the keynote" and was bummed but came to terms with it, I'd rather be functioning than kill myself to be in line before 5am. (ended up getting in with no issues, and got a seat on the floor a few rows behind the devs which was really cool). Seeing the moment where Druckmann is kind of bowing his head/looking down as Shawn Layden says "there's one more thing" was really cool, the moment where their hard work is paying off and they're finally showing people (especially to that insane reaction)

Capcom Cup was fucking amazing. Saturday as a whole was totally worth the trip alone. Sunday was less exciting as I had already seen most of what I wanted to play that didn't have a dumb line, I'd probably only go Saturday next year but we'll see. The panel about accessibility was really cool to see

Games:
Sonic Mania: Fucking yes, perfect, ship it, we're done here. PR guy at the SEGA booth asked what my last Sonic game was, I told him it was a PS2 game. Either Sonic Heroes or Shadow The Hedgehog, whichever came last. Jokingly said "yeah, Shadow The Hedgehog, one of the all-time greats" and he was like "oh yeah it's definitely a cult classic" and I was like ".....wait, what?". PR everybody

Vex Machina: Didn't realize it was playable so I was stoked to try it. Plays exactly like Alienation but it's a short run based thing closer to Resogun (but faster). Definitely some challenge there, boss was a little easy for anyone used to bullet hell (especially compared to some of the chaos that came before it in the earlier levels). Really looking forward to it though, like anything else Housemarque does

Akuma: LOVE how he plays in SFV, easily my favorite shoto in the game. I also figured I'd be crushed like the "casual but sort of almost knows what he's doing" player that I am but I managed to take it against the guy I was in line with. Dude behind me was commentating like "whoa that worked? oh you could've punished that" and it's like man I'm just trying to not embarrass myself here. Haha

Yakuza Zero: I played Fantasy Zone, the emulator gives you a lot of screen options, day one

Crash Bandicoot: Loved it. Plays well and looks nice, I think people are going to be really happy with how these turn out

For Honor: Man I was hyped for this game but I honestly was not expecting to enjoy it as much as I did. I can't say I care for the obvious setup for an E-Sports push (and the guy was giving directions on the headset but I was more focused on hacking dudes in the fucking face). But man, what a game. Very exciting to finally play.

Let It Die: I was hesitant to play at PSX at first as it was out, but it was something I've wanted to play for a long time and the booth was fuckin great. The music is insanely varied, walked up to a straight up slam death track which was right up my alley, which quickly shifted to more poppy punk stuff and I guess metalcore-ish stuff (bleh, but it works haha). Bunch of booth workers and crew members looking stylish decked in Let It Die gear, sell that merch fam. Unfortunately the headsets at the stations were having issues, at least for me and the person next to me. Game was awesome! Stoked to dive in today at home

Yooka Laylee: What looked like a short line was actually a really long wait, every player got a 15 minutes timed demo. They had two stations but one was reserved for press (though eventually they allowed me to just play on it). Game is awesome and runs decent enough for the most part, very promising and oozing charm

Strafe: The really negative experience I had. Game ran pretty poorly and the aim sensitivity was so stupidly high that it was borderline unplayable. Shooting at enemies I had to like sweep the stick left and right, approximating aiming. I tried to see if it was adjustable in the options but didn't see it (maybe I missed it? idk). I dig what they're going for so I still have my eye on it, roguelike old school FPS with over the top gore is a solid idea. I just cannot play with that sensitivity, nauseating.

Panels were cool, though I'd prefer if in the future they avoided stuff like how they handled the Uncharted DLC panel. It was awesome to see the team up there and I'd like to hear what they have to say, but it was set up in a way where the interviewer asks the most soft-ball nothing questions and the team isn't able to really answer anything. So it ends up being "so in the trailer, we see this in the trailer. what can you tell us about this?" "well as you saw in the trailer it's this, so yeah that's all we can say". If people are clearly not able to talk about stuff then just talk about other things. The more interesting stuff came near the end with discussion more about performance capture

All in all I had a blast, and it was just a really weird experience seeing all of these internet people walking around in person haha. I'm so grateful that I got to be there for the keynote, they've had stronger conferences at E3 arguably but so much of that was relevant to my tastes, more than any others. Last Of Us Part 2 reveal was just so awesome. Capcom Cup was awesome. Awesome weekend.

Some notes/impressions:

Showed up Saturday morning just after 7 (woke up at 5 but was honestly just really drained from being up early the previous morning to catch my flight). Was lined up at the end wrapped around the outside area a bit past the first food truck. Heard people saying "we definitely aren't getting into the keynote" and was bummed but came to terms with it, I'd rather be functioning than kill myself to be in line before 5am. (ended up getting in with no issues, and got a seat on the floor a few rows behind the devs which was really cool). Seeing the moment where Druckmann is kind of bowing his head/looking down as Shawn Layden says "there's one more thing" was really cool, the moment where their hard work is paying off and they're finally showing people (especially to that insane reaction)

Capcom Cup was fucking amazing. Saturday as a whole was totally worth the trip alone. Sunday was less exciting as I had already seen most of what I wanted to play that didn't have a dumb line, I'd probably only go Saturday next year but we'll see. The panel about accessibility was really cool to see

Games:
Sonic Mania: Fucking yes, perfect, ship it, we're done here. PR guy at the SEGA booth asked what my last Sonic game was, I told him it was a PS2 game. Either Sonic Heroes or Shadow The Hedgehog, whichever came last. Jokingly said "yeah, Shadow The Hedgehog, one of the all-time greats" and he was like "oh yeah it's definitely a cult classic" and I was like ".....wait, what?". PR everybody

Vex Machina: Didn't realize it was playable so I was stoked to try it. Plays exactly like Alienation but it's a short run based thing closer to Resogun (but faster). Definitely some challenge there, boss was a little easy for anyone used to bullet hell (especially compared to some of the chaos that came before it in the earlier levels). Really looking forward to it though, like anything else Housemarque does

Akuma: LOVE how he plays in SFV, easily my favorite shoto in the game. I also figured I'd be crushed like the "casual but sort of almost knows what he's doing" player that I am but I managed to take it against the guy I was in line with. Dude behind me was commentating like "whoa that worked? oh you could've punished that" and it's like man I'm just trying to not embarrass myself here. Haha

Yakuza Zero: I played Fantasy Zone, the emulator gives you a lot of screen options, day one

Crash Bandicoot: Loved it. Plays well and looks nice, I think people are going to be really happy with how these turn out

For Honor: Man I was hyped for this game but I honestly was not expecting to enjoy it as much as I did. I can't say I care for the obvious setup for an E-Sports push (and the guy was giving directions on the headset but I was more focused on hacking dudes in the fucking face). But man, what a game. Very exciting to finally play.

Let It Die: I was hesitant to play at PSX at first as it was out, but it was something I've wanted to play for a long time and the booth was fuckin great. The music is insanely varied, walked up to a straight up slam death track which was right up my alley, which quickly shifted to more poppy punk stuff and I guess metalcore-ish stuff (bleh, but it works haha). Bunch of booth workers and crew members looking stylish decked in Let It Die gear, sell that merch fam. Unfortunately the headsets at the stations were having issues, at least for me and the person next to me. Game was awesome! Stoked to dive in today at home

Yooka Laylee: What looked like a short line was actually a really long wait, every player got a 15 minutes timed demo. They had two stations but one was reserved for press (though eventually they allowed me to just play on it). Game is awesome and runs decent enough for the most part, very promising and oozing charm

Strafe: The really negative experience I had. Game ran pretty poorly and the aim sensitivity was so stupidly high that it was borderline unplayable. Shooting at enemies I had to like sweep the stick left and right, approximating aiming. I tried to see if it was adjustable in the options but didn't see it (maybe I missed it? idk). I dig what they're going for so I still have my eye on it, roguelike old school FPS with over the top gore is a solid idea. I just cannot play with that sensitivity, nauseating.

Panels were cool, though I'd prefer if in the future they avoided stuff like how they handled the Uncharted DLC panel. It was awesome to see the team up there and I'd like to hear what they have to say, but it was set up in a way where the interviewer asks the most soft-ball nothing questions and the team isn't able to really answer anything. So it ends up being "so in the trailer, we see this in the trailer. what can you tell us about this?" "well as you saw in the trailer it's this, so yeah that's all we can say". If people are clearly not able to talk about stuff then just talk about other things. The more interesting stuff came near the end with discussion more about performance capture

All in all I had a blast, and it was just a really weird experience seeing all of these internet people walking around in person haha. I'm so grateful that I got to be there for the keynote, they've had stronger conferences at E3 arguably but so much of that was relevant to my tastes, more than any others. Last Of Us Part 2 reveal was just so awesome. Capcom Cup was awesome. Awesome weekend.

Cheers man. Really hyped for Sonic Mania, Vex Machina and For Honor (LOVED the Alpha).

Kanashimi

To be fair, Las Vegas, NV & Anaheim, CA are a lot closer to each other than Anaheim & San Francisco are to each other despite them both being in California.

That's fair. I mean, obviously, if I was to be selfish I'd say stay in Vegas (we've got EVO and CES in terms of geekdom). However, I feel like if they wanna do the move around for fans that covering more of the US would be better.

Hey, that was me!

Guys, seriously, CSH is legit. Get hyped.

alemmon

Some notes/impressions:

Games:

Man... I really wanted to play Yooka Laylee but after waiting way too long for Monster Boy, I decided to for go the demo. Since the 2 booths were right next to each other I did watch people play it for a very long time. Glad to hear its as fun as it looks.

Some sexy mofos right there! :p
Ain't that the truth!
I think that may have been because Mother Russia Bleeds didn't get released until Tuesday. I could be wrong, though. Try it again, if you haven't already.

krae_man

Ain't that the truth!

I think that may have been because Mother Russia Bleeds didn't get released until Tuesday. I could be wrong, though. Try it again, if you haven't already.

Yeah I'm fine now.

Bigger problem is I have no use for this US $10 PSN code and getting Sony to switch it to Canadian is a long process of trial and error until you get someone willing to do it.

alemmon

Yeah I'm fine now.

Bigger problem is I have no use for this US $10 PSN code and getting Sony to switch it to Canadian is a long process of trial and error until you get someone willing to do it.

Ah man... thats a bummer. That is something I never really thought about. Its something they should fix, because I am sure as this event gets bigger more people outside the states will want to attend.

Yeah I'm fine now.

I suppose you could always give it away, or something. Sucks for the issues.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the VLOG I posted. It's also publicly available on the channel now. Hoping to post convention videos over the weekend and into next week. Have over 5hrs of footy :D

krae_man

Ah man... thats a bummer. That is something I never really thought about. Its something they should fix, because I am sure as this event gets bigger more people outside the states will want to attend.

I suppose you could always give it away, or something. Sucks for the issues.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the VLOG I posted. It's also publicly available on the channel now. Hoping to post convention videos over the weekend and into next week. Have over 5hrs of footy :D

I think I'll be fine. I got it done last year. Sony's support people tend to clam up when you go to them with a problem they don't have a pre existing script/process for. You just need to find the people willing to go the extra mile and I think I got there. Just waiting on a response.

I gave Sony a long detailed email of everything they messed up at PSX and this was included. They make us link our PSN accounts so they can track what games we buy after playing a demo so they can use that data to sell booths and set the rates for said booths next year. The least they can do for us in exchange for that is have the app generate codes that work for the PSN region our account is in.

Edit: and I was just told no again :lol

The_Spaniard

Netmarble
Is there a time limit on when you can spend the 10 bucks after you redeem the code and have the funds added to your wallet, or is it just straight cash that you can hold onto like any redeemed currency card?

alemmon

Is there a time limit on when you can spend the 10 bucks after you redeem the code and have the funds added to your wallet, or is it just straight cash that you can hold onto like any redeemed currency card?

The codes do expire so I would just redeem it to your wallet and leave it these until there is a purchase you want.

I am using mine towards Stardew Valley on Tuesday!!!

The_Spaniard

Netmarble
Oh! Not that I am aware of. I had like 4 bucks in credit in my wallet for like 4 months and it was still there.

I'm talking specifically about credit like this that is gifted to you by Sony. I'm curious if all wallet credit is origin agnostic, or if Sony can go, "Here's 10 bucks to your wallet, but use it before X date or it expires."

Top Bottom