• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Meeting trailer: See the Future. Feb. 20th [Will Be Livestreamed]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. CVG said it will probably be the biggest event in SCE history.

This + 1200 makes me go Gaaargh?!

I'm almost too hyped right now...

image.php
[/url][/IMG]

Nerdstrom

Banned
Hmmm this eerily smells of competitive hype killing Sony. Where they show something better than reasonable with hopes of killing hype of the competition's work. How many times have they succeeded with this? Twice?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Hmmm this eerily smells of competitive hype killing Sony. Where they show something better than reasonable with hopes of killing hype of the competition's work. How many times have they succeeded with this? Twice?

Sony has very different management these days than they did before. It'll be interesting to see how they handle the reveal. I expect it'll be very different from the PS2 and PS3 showings. God, I hope it's different than then PS3's.

Come on now.

I think you been way over dramatic.

In terms of phrasing, yes but I don't mean in terms of immediately closing if it sucks or anything like that. Currently the company is structured on the pillars of gaming, movie production, and cameras. If the gaming division takes another hit the company will have to restructure again and change course.

Boss Man

So is someone going to make sure that this conference is saved somewhere? Because I'll be working Wednesday when the conference starts and may not have a chance to watch. It's terrifying to think I might miss it and then also not be able to immediately watch it when I get home without worrying about digging for it and being spoiled.

Kyoufu

This one event could literally decide the fate of Sony. Not just the gaming division, but the entire company. It's going to be fascinating to watch from that standpoint, no matter how it turns out.

E3 will.

Price and other details will be key then, but here it's just showing off tech demos/features I suppose. The ugly shit will come later like with Vita. :(

This one event could literally decide the fate of Sony. Not just the gaming division, but the entire company. It's going to be fascinating to watch from that standpoint, no matter how it turns out.

I don't know if i'd go that far. But it's certainly very important. People are hungry for the next-gen. And now all eyes are on Sony for this event. They didn't pick E3, which would be a time where other companies would be announcing stuff along with them. They chose a day where they're on their own. No competition in sight. This is really their chance to show gamers that they've learned from their mistakes during the current gen.

rdrr gnr

What exactly constitutes a 'megaton' at an event such as this though? For me it's quite a big deal to be getting new hardware, potentially a few games shown running on said hardware. I can't see the big gaming megaton announcements being at Playstation meeting 2013, as they may overshadow or take away from the main event - the console itself.

Sony don't, I imagine, want the press going crazy over The Last Guardian reappearing - they want them talking solely about PS4.
About TLG, specifically, no one outside of core gaming media will care. But that wouldn't be a megaton. They need something unexpected, possibly a betrayalathon. You can gauge what qualifies as a megaton as something not popularly speculated relative to the the event itself. So, you're right, a new console is objectively as big of an announce as there can be in gaming, but something like the next Gears on PS would qualify. A game from a studio that people aren't expecting (ND would count because people suggesting a new ND IP so soon are underestimating how much work that takes). A legit reveal of GT6 and saying it will be a launch title would also be pretty big.

So of the 1200 people attending the PS meeting, how many are journalists and how many are investors? It's not open to anyone else right? Just seems like so many people. I guess a lot of developers will be there too which takes up space.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I don't know if i'd go that far. But it's certainly very important. People are hungry for the next-gen. And now all eyes are on Sony for this event. They didn't pick E3, which would be a time where other companies would be announcing stuff along with them. They chose a day where they're on their own. No competition in sight. This is really their chance to show gamers that they've learned from their mistakes during the current gen.

I clarified what I meant by that a few posts up.

This is a ballsy move though and they better know what they're doing.

Boss Man

What exactly constitutes a 'megaton' at an event such as this though? For me it's quite a big deal to be getting new hardware, potentially a few games shown running on said hardware. I can't see the big gaming megaton announcements being at Playstation meeting 2013, as they may overshadow or take away from the main event - the console itself.

Sony don't, I imagine, want the press going crazy over The Last Guardian reappearing - they want them talking solely about PS4.
To me a megaton would be anything that is significant enough to be as big of a deal as the fact that the PS4 is coming out.

So if there's a thread or threads on GAF regarding the event afterwards that is not strictly "PS4 is out" that is as big or bigger than that thread, that's a megaton.

Loudninja

Sony has very different management these days than they did before. It'll be interesting to see how they handle the reveal. I expect it'll be very different from the PS2 and PS3 showings. God, I hope it's different than then PS3's.

In terms of phrasing, yes but I don't mean in terms of immediately closing if it sucks or anything like that. Currently the company is structured on the pillars of gaming, movie production, and cameras. If the gaming division takes another hit the company will have to restructure again and change course.
Oh I see what you are saying.

Yeah this even is really important.

To me a megaton would be anything that is significant enough to be as big of a deal as the fact that the PS4 is coming out.

So if there's a thread or threads on GAF regarding the event afterwards that is not strictly "PS4 is out" that is as big or bigger than that thread, that's a megaton.

Any new game shown there then basically. Fair enough.

Shayan

Banned
So of the 1200 people attending the PS meeting, how many are journalists and how many are investors? It's not open to anyone else right? Just seems like so many people.

The investors atleast some of them have been shown the PS4. I am talking about those who own in excess of million shares of the company behind closed doors

got a hint that it might have 8 gig ram . Cant say anything more than that sorry

Jack_AG

Banned
I hope Sony goes all out with this and puts some pressure on Durangos reveal.

Then I hope MS reveals their system and puts pressure on Sony again :)

I want to see these 2 kids go at it again since it only means they will be working harder for your dollar which means we get better products from the both of them.

Bring it on Sony/MS - throw the kid gloves off this gen i'm making some fucking popcorn!

The investors atleast some of them have been shown the PS4. I am talking about those who own in excess of million shares of the company behind closed doors

got a hint that it might have 8 gig ram . Cant say anything more than that sorry

There is no fuckin way man :/.

I clarified what I meant by that a few posts up.

This is a ballsy move though and they better know what they're doing.

It at least appears that they're extremely confident with what they're going to show this Wednesday. All the reports about the hardware suggest that they've gone a long way to make it the developer friendly device that many people have been asking for. It's also obviously very powerful. Then you have their internal dev teams. Many of the high profile teams haven't released a game in years. Which suggests that Sony has had them planning and building for the PS4 for quite some time.

Just the fact that they're holding it in New York instead of Japan makes it seem like they've got something special up their sleeves.

Lingitiz

Yeah this event is going to be huge, but I don't see them unveiling the launch lineup or price till E3. Those things will be what will make or break the console. At the very least we'll see the console and what some studios are working on.

So is someone going to make sure that this conference is saved somewhere? Because I'll be working Wednesday when the conference starts and may not have a chance to watch. It's terrifying to think I might miss it and then also not be able to immediately watch it when I get home without worrying about digging for it and being spoiled.
It will be all over the place including Youtube. Nothing to worry about there.

This is getting exciting.

An ideal scenario for this meeting would be for Sony to outline the entire launch.

- Console release date and pricing (In all major regions)
- Show launch line up
- Show OS and online features

Then use E3 to talk about the future and roadmap the next 12 months. E3 would also be a good opportunity for 'megaton' announcements like exclusives Ect. to be announced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom