• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | April 2015

We're not allowed to discuss that before we get a confirmation of what's behind it. I'd advise you to let it go until you see something that points to an answer.
As far as I understand, we aren't allowed to create new threads about it since this thing is just a big empty bag, full of nothing. Prohibiting posts about it on existing threads, which have relation to what this could be hinting at, seems too extreme. Does this mean that we weren't allowed to talk about the Star Ocean 5 website either? Or any other tease website for that matter? /:

You are right thought the shit looks just outright random at this point.
Yeah idk. Like I said, it made no sense before, they started this thing that got a ton of people excited and then dropped the ball. This is not how you treat your fans Aksys.

Vylash

As far as I understand, they aren't allowing for new threads since this thing is just a big empty bag, full of nothing. Prohibiting posts about it on existing threads, which have relation to what this could be hinting at, seems too extreme. Does this mean that we weren't allowed to talk about the Star Ocean website either? /:

mods have said to stop talking about it in the VN thread, can't imagine it's any different here

Wonder how long it'll last. Mods keep taking them down every week lol... It is in off topic this time around so let's see how it goes

The guy who started the thread seems to have been juniored for starting it, but the mods seem to have left it for now. The updates are really random though. I started to get hyped after Uchikoshi's tweets, but after ice cream I'm kinda deflated, lol.

It specifically mentions Europe, so I'd guess Brandish.

Omerta

How much does a Vita grip help to counter hand cramping? I've noticed my left hand starts to freeze up when playing long sessions.

I played Killzone when it was released on a plane for about three hours straight and my left hand froze into the most painful claw formation I've ever experienced!

As soon as I landed, I ordered a grip from ebay and it completely fixed the problem.

I literally always use a grip now.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I played Killzone when it was released on a plane for about three hours straight and my left hand froze into the most painful claw formation I've ever experienced!

As soon as I landed, I ordered a grip from ebay and it completely fixed the problem.

I literally always use a grip now.

PSP_Claw.jpg

The good ol days. I still do something similar even on the consoles, bloodborne for example when running and controlling the camera at the same time. Though its a bit different with pointer on circle and thumb on the right analog stick. lol

Uhm, how come whenever I earn a trophy now, it doesn't pop up to let me know I did, also doesn't take a screenshot like it use to.

Yes, in notifications Trophies is checked.

crinale

As for Taiko for Vita the song lineup is really catering current Vita fans in Japan. Those songs are to be exclusive for Vita version so Bamco have said.

Is this one of those first person dungeon crawlers? Haven't tried a lot of games with the same genre as I prefer third person POV for most of my games (I also get nauseous playing games with first person POV).

I have this exact same problem :/ Makes me a bit wary about spending 60 bucks on a game that I may not be able to play....Even if the art looks amazing and I really want to try it out *coughraygigantcough*

Maid

Banned
I have this exact same problem :/ Makes me a bit wary about spending 60 bucks on a game that I may not be able to play....Even if the art looks amazing and I really want to try it out *coughraygigantcough*

It's a Vita game, so as usual it will be $40 only. You can get Demon Gaze for cheap to try it out first to see if you still have that problem playing on handheld or not.

Parakeetman

Is this one of those first person dungeon crawlers? Haven't tried a lot of games with the same genre as I prefer third person POV for most of my games (I also get nauseous playing games with first person POV). I think the last dungeon crawler I played was Unlosing Ranger or Chocobo's dungeon. :D Maybe I should start with this one but I feel I'll get dizzy after a few minutes.

Ray Gigant the dungeon navigation will be in first person. Though all of the movement should be grid based therefore it is different from like an FPS for example.

Heres some example footage I had done in the past for someone with a similar situation that the both of you seem to have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ5OHjl0KVY

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
About Dungeon travellers 2 ... :(
I mean if it's as good as people say then good for those who will buy it, but honestly i'm really starting to feel tired of games full of half naked girls and in part even of anime-looking games, i would like more "serious" games to have the priority when it comes to localization and retail :( maybe this is why i took a break with Vita and now i'm playing on PS3....

What's worst is that most of the great games like Oreshika didn't have a retail release(in EU at least) while games like DT2, Muppet and others yes, it's like saying that Vita has only showelware and lewd games(i'm not saying that muppets and DT2 shouldn't be retail, i would like more games to be retail)

I'm still waiting for Stranger of the sword city :\

Parakeetman

I mean if it's as good as people say then good for those who will buy it, but honestly i'm really starting to feel tired of games full of half naked girls and in part even of anime-looking games, i would like more "serious" games to have the priority when it comes to localization and retail :( maybe this is why i took a break with Vita and now i'm playing on PS3....

What's worst is that most of the great games like Oreshika didn't have a retail release(in EU at least) while games like DT2, Muppet and others yes, it's like saying that Vita has only showelware and lewd games(i'm not saying that muppets and DT2 shouldn't be retail, i would like more games to be retail)

I'm still waiting for Stranger of the sword city :\

Cant imagine NISA announcing Stranger any earlier than after giving Op Abyss some time to sell. Otherwise folks might skip Abyss for it even if it comes out later.

There are not that many serious games and if things like Demon Gaze is any sort of indication, they sell better than the "serious" titles. Such as the Elminage series for example... Which starfish has decided to make a port of their worst game in the series and anime it up then released it on the 3ds instead of giving us a proper Vita Elminage kinda says something there too which a lot of fans are not too amused with.

The Stranger sales numbers for the vita are kinda screwed up due to the fact they had also released an X360 and a PC version before hand. Though Exp did say they were happy with the sales of it considering. Plus fans from Students of the Round bought the game so that was an already set amount of purchases right there.

Though for the West most def could see Stranger doing much better due to the art style alone. As tastes are different than in Japan which is a given.

Maid

Banned

You are demanding console games on the handheld, you know? Maybe if you also play indie games then you will see that most Vita games aren't what you described. We also had Toukiden recently.

Also, the retail situations are different with each other. Muppet and the like aren't aiming at us, so the retail release is needed because that's how they are buying those games for the kids. Most of the time retail games are for people who want to collecting their games, and the anime games fit that category much more. Furthermore, EU releasing of retail games has always been a mess.

And what the heck is "serious" games?

Ugh what the fuck

I manually rebuilt the database on my Vita because I had a weird issue where some apps were showing up as the wrong size (ie. large digital games reporting as a few megs) and it DESTROYED ALL MY FOLDERS AND ICON PLACEMENTS

oh man so it's not just me with that problem, only affected 3 games but it was still very confusing

Your weird issue aside, I think that's what normally happens when you rebuild your database. Same thing happened to me when I rebuilt.

I recently performed a database rebuild and I have the same issue. Is it something that fixes itself or do you have to copy your apps to pc and back again?

Oreshika (english version) sold out @Play-Asia. I guess they didn't get a lot of copies. If anyone is waiting, you'd better pre-order Moero Chronicle or Sword Art Online: Lost Song in case you're keen on getting a physical copy for those games.
Just send me a PM before you do pre-order from them, if you would help a friend out.

Play-Asia had copies of Hollow Fragment in English for like a year after release. I wouldn't rush to get that game.

Moero might be more of a limited stock situation.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Cant imagine NISA announcing Stranger any earlier than after giving Op Abyss some time to sell. Otherwise folks might skip Abyss for it even if it comes out later.

There are not that many serious games and if things like Demon Gaze is any sort of indication, they sell better than the "serious" titles. Such as the Elminage series for example... Which starfish has decided to make a port of their worst game in the series and anime it up then released it on the 3ds instead of giving us a proper Vita Elminage kinda says something there too which a lot of fans are not too amused with.

The Stranger sales numbers for the vita are kinda screwed up due to the fact they had also released an X360 and a PC version before hand. Though Exp did say they were happy with the sales of it considering. Plus fans from Students of the Round bought the game so that was an already set amount of purchases right there.

Though for the West most def could see Stranger doing much better due to the art style alone. As tastes are different than in Japan which is a given.
Yeah i know we have to wait for stranger but i want it now XD

You are demanding console games on the handheld, you know? Maybe if you also play indie games then you will see that most Vita games aren't what you described. We also had Toukiden recently.

Also, the retail situations are different with each other. Muppet and the like aren't aiming at us, so the retail release is needed because that's how they are buying those games for the kids. Most of the time retail games are for people who want to collecting their games, and the anime games fit that category much more. Furthermore, EU releasing of retail games has always been a mess.

And what the heck is "serious" games?
"Serious" for example like this:
1393556244-8.jpg

opposed to something like this:
Dungeon-Travelers-2-PSV-JP-Date.jpg

(why should i beat cute young girls? Am i the evil guy?)

And no i'm not asking for console games on handheld, you know handheld games don't have to be anime :p

About indies ... i love them, i have finished Sherlock Homes crime and punishment and while i'm waiting for the end of deadly premonition's download i'm trying to finish fez ;)

EDIT:
i despise the console/handheld games dinstinction, it's pure bullshit.

They're evil monster girls that need to be punished
Shy.gif

Serious contribution: I have no dislike or preference either way. Good art, fun game, I'll take it. I'm sure the novelty of "cute girl DRPGs" will wear off at some point, but at this point it's still something that's pretty unique in my opinion so I'm happy that we're getting some.

Parakeetman

Yeah i know we have to wait for stranger but i want it now XD

1393556244-8.jpg

And no i'm not asking for console games on handheld, you know handheld games don't have to be anime :p

About indies ... i love them, i have finished Sherlock Homes crime and punishment and while i'm waiting for the end of deadly premonition's download i'm trying to finish fez ;)

Since Op Abyss got pushed back to June could most def see them shifting SoSC to 2016 otherwise would be too short of a period to release another dungeon crawler as would be about half a year otherwise if they released it in December for example. Could have seen other wise if they did the April launch like it was supposed to but now am not too sure. :/

Would be a damned shame for you folks if it does indeed get pushed to early 2016 though.

Though in Japan there was around 5-6 months in between Operation Abyss and Stranger of Sword City, so... But the markets are different and no idea what kind of schedule NISA has with their other titles too that is also included into the whole release prediction mess. D: Where as Exp Inc basically has only their own titles to worry about during that span of time.

Also did the LE stock already run out once? Since if not it still seems to be a good amount of it left too being only 2 months out from release. Wonder if NISA plans on doing more marketing soon?

It's a Vita game, so as usual it will be $40 only. You can get Demon Gaze for cheap to try it out first to see if you still have that problem playing on handheld or not.

Heh, so used to buying Vita games on sale I don't even remember what their usual full price is anymore XD #SPOILT

Ray Gigant the dungeon navigation will be in first person. Though all of the movement should be grid based therefore it is different from like an FPS for example.

Heres some example footage I had done in the past for someone with a similar situation that the both of you seem to have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ5OHjl0KVY

Thanks parakeet! I'll watch that and see how I go. I remember watching some EO4 footage some time ago and getting really sick but coping fine with most FPSes...so really I can't tell what it is that sets off my vomit button

Parakeetman

Heh, so used to buying Vita games on sale I don't even remember what their usual full price is anymore XD #SPOILT

Thanks parakeet! I'll watch that and see how I go. I remember watching some EO4 footage some time ago and getting really sick but coping fine with most FPSes...so really I can't tell what it is that sets off my vomit button

Hope it helps. While did not do anything super erratic, did some quick movement around the map on purpose asides from standard navigation. Though fight scenes do interrupt things, but hopefully that should be sufficient to test if it effects you or not.

Maid

Banned
1393556244-8.jpg

EDIT:
i despise the console/handheld games dinstinction, it's pure bullshit.

I don't see the lack of localization of "serious" games you mentioned, since there are lacking "serious" games on the Vita to begin with. Actually, even compare with the 3DS, the amount of anime games still take a large amount compare to others, so why are we complaining about the Vita now? Also for your complain about why Dungeon Travelers 2 got localized before SoSC, look at the release date of those games.

And the distinction between handheld and console games is the real thing. It's not bullshit and you should know it. There are games that are designed for handheld and it will play differently to console. The clear example is Type-0.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I don't see the lack of localization of "serious" games you mentioned, since there are lacking "serious" games on the Vita to begin with. Actually, even compare with the 3DS, the amount of anime games still take a large amount compare to others, so why are we complaining about the Vita now?

And the distinction between handheld and console games is the real thing. It's not bullshit and you should know it. There are games that are designed for handheld and it will play differently to console. The clear example is Type-0.
That's what i'm complaining for, i would like more "serious" games on Vita in general and the few existing ones should be localized faster.
I don't care about 3ds or other consoles.

Type 0 was already a bad game on PSP, in fact i hated and dumped it because exactly like MGS:pW it was designed around a silly and totally wrong definition of "handheld" game.

There's no reason for any kind of limitations when:
1)there are enough power and controls for what a game needs
2)there's no reason for "bite-sized" levels when there are save games, checkpoints, stand by function and so on.

long story short unlike what some console owners and some Nintendo fans try to imply(handheld games need to be inferior somehow), there is no distinction between console and handheld games, the only real dinstinction is between games that are designed for the capabilities of the console they run on and games that are not(like bad ports), period, there are no genre, style, level design limitations.

Also did the LE stock already run out once? Since if not it still seems to be a good amount of it left too being only 2 months out from release. Wonder if NISA plans on doing more marketing soon?

Stock hasn't run out, this is seemingly one of their slowest moving LEs. Shame too, looks like it has a really nice artbook.

Maid

Banned
There's no reason for any kind of limitations when:
1)there are enough power and controls for what a game needs
2)there's no reason for "bite-sized" levels when there are save games, checkpoints, stand by function and so on.

And this is why you're wrong. Remember Valkyrie Chronicle? Have you seen Senran Kagura Estival Versus PS4 vs Vita?

You don't care about the other platform doesn't mean it's not true.

Parakeetman

Can you manually upload game saves (ps4) to PS+?

http://faq.en.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5011/~/playstation®plus-online-storage

PS4™
To download save data
Select your local user account, press up on the control pad to access the Function menu and go to Image (Settings) > Application Data Management > Saved Data in Online Storage > ‘Download to System Storage’ and press Image (X button).

To upload save data
Select your local user account, press up on the control pad to access the Function menu and go to Image (Settings) > Application Data Management > Saved Data in System > ‘Upload to Online Storage’ and press Image (X button).

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
And this is why you're wrong. Remember Valkyrie Chronicle? Have you seen Senran Kagura Estival Versus PS4 vs Vita?

You don't care about the other platform doesn't mean it's not true.

No, explain please, but i get you haven't understand what i mean if you take a multiplatform game as an example.

Let me explain more:
WHEN(like in the case of Vita)
1)"there are enough power and controls for what a game needs": means that considering the hardware there are no real limitations on what you can do, you can do any kind of game, obviously you can't do a Crysis 3-looking Vita game or a game with hundreds of enemies, but you can still do good looking fps and musou games with the right compromises, that's why i say that a game needs to be made with the hardware in mind.
2)there's no reason for "bite-sized" levels when there are save games, checkpoints, stand by function and so on: well that's clear right? Save games and stand-by mode allow more "bite-sized" play than short levels without game design limitations.

Any game that runs and plays perfectly on its console is a perfect game for that console, no matter the style, gameplay etc and the type of console, if a game doesn't run or play well it's neither the game's genre nor hardware's fault, but developer's fault.

autoduelist

Is this one of those first person dungeon crawlers? Haven't tried a lot of games with the same genre as I prefer third person POV for most of my games (I also get nauseous playing games with first person POV).

You even get nauseous with turn based grid movement? i mean, yes it's first person, but it's not like cod where you're walking around (which is usually what gives some people nausea)... you're just moving on a grid. I suppose i could see it being an issue if the transitions are animated, but they seem so 'fixed' in perspective that it would be ok.

With Star Ocean being revived, is there a chance Konami'll do the same with the Suikoden franchise? I know they're a bit baffling with their decision making nowadays but they can redeem themselves if they can deliver a good game of that franchise. Their upper management is just a disaster.

Didn't Verendus straight up say that a new Suikoden is in the works, but that we probably wouldn't hear even a whisper of it till 2016?

Hm... let me see ...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=144519589#post144519589

I can't wait to match my post to the 108 Stars of Destiny? It's fate Psycho.

1. New Suikoden game in the works now. This one is very far off though as it's a recent thing as far as I know. I'd think 2016 is the earliest we start hearing stuff about it.

Things change over that time period so even a trusted insider could be wrong, but he's got a solid track record.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Oh man....
no. :(

see above.

i don't know... i feel like anyone that is paying attention enough to the drpgs on vita is gonna pick them all up, and not skip one just because another got announced.

While I'm not sure 'serious' is the right word, I agree. I much prefer the traditional medieval feel. I want a gnarled bunch of blank slate adventurers to lead into battle, not a bunch of teens trying to get a look at someone's bidness. The art doesn't really bother me one way or the other, it's just art, but thematically I appreciate putting on a Dark Obsidian Helm +5 over a 'Student's Hat' or 'Dinner Jacket' or whatever, and back in town I'd rather go to a pub to rest or fight in a gladiator tournament rather than go on a date and hope to see somebody's bidness.

Parakeetman

i don't know... i feel like anyone that is paying attention enough to the drpgs on vita is gonna pick them all up, and not skip one just because another got announced.

Not everyone liked demon gaze. Others didnt buy demons gaze due to the art / content. Same group of people would be more than likely to skip over Op Abyss if they knew SoSC was coming out in a close enough time frame for them to wait it out. On top of the fact that there are other DRPGs there too incoming such as EOU2 for example.

The community here sure, but asides from the hardcore following other folks that are not into doing multiple constant purchases all the time for the Vita would be a bit more picky about which title to choose from if they knew another option was available from the same publisher, but one has an artstyle more suited to their tastes. Instead of just buying it out of "boredom" or nothing else in the genre, from a marketing / sales standpoint you do not want to cause any sort of potential roadblocks for your own products sales.

If information by other GAF user is correct about how this is still the same initial stock for the LEs that means currently there are not too many hardcore fans attached yet which most def would give NISA pause to wanting to release any other information of another title from the same developer / genre but for a game that has a lot more people talking about it just due to the art alone. That and as part of the idea for the fans to think that purchasing the game will ensure that SoSC comes out so sales are partially driven from that. Would highly imagine with how NISA knows they are a niche publisher and been doing this for years that their initial shipment numbers if they can move out the majority of those units then that is profit made already. So with that in mind once again the whole not messing with their own sales, with their own product most def I would imagine them not doing. Which is why I would imagine an announcement will come out after the game is released at least, but would be very surprised if they did it before hand. When there still appears to be half the stock left of LEs. Which they would need to ramp up marketing more to drive the hype to get people to pre-order those also.

Had thought it was odd that there are so many left seeing how folks did seem to enjoy Demon Gaze and it is by the same group of artists within Exp Inc. You would imagine that the LEs would be low by now seeing how we are slightly less than 2 months out.

You would think with the bit of a dry spell currently going on there would be more marketing with the game before media starts to ramp it up with prepping for the E3, granted thats after the game already comes out but info and such along with articles would start to be showing up before hand so most def would want to do more marketing now till may at least.

Do really hope that Op Abyss sells well though regardless as everyone wins in that case. Also that NISA is able to get all the preorders in and accounted for.

Wonder if this is a sign that there are more fence sitters this time around waiting to see what others say about the title. Instead of just rushing out to preorder it?

I still think Demon Gaze did well enough for the genre to get boosted and brought over fully. It's crazy to think that we are getting this many DRPGs, all of this started happening after Demon Gaze came out, coincidentally or not. We used to get our EOs and the odd DRPG here and there, but now they just keep pumping them out.

Same thing could be said about JRPGs in general, we are getting more than we did a few years ago. Although the market for those games isn't THAT big in the west, it is faithful and large enough to sustain the costs of localization for these companies.

I'm a bit worried about Operation Abyss. It doesn't look like it's going to do too hot. Demon Gaze had the novelty of being the first DRPG on the platform and the first from Experience too.

I hope it does okay. I'd like to get Operation Babel too.

antibolo

Banned
I got about halfway through Demon Gaze (I think? I'm at the first floor of the castle) and got bored. I don't think I will ever finish a DRPG, I just don't find them engaging enough, and too repetitive.

Maid

Banned
No, explain please, but i get you haven't understand what i mean if you take a multiplatform game as an example.

Let me explain more:
WHEN(like in the case of Vita)
1)"there are enough power and controls for what a game needs": means that considering the hardware there are no real limitations on what you can do, you can do any kind of game, obviously you can't do a Crysis 3-looking Vita game or a game with hundreds of enemies, but you can still do good looking fps and musou games with the right compromises, that's why i say that a game needs to be made with the hardware in mind.
2)there's no reason for "bite-sized" levels when there are save games, checkpoints, stand by function and so on: well that's clear right? Save games and stand-by mode allow more "bite-sized" play than short levels without game design limitations.

Any game that runs and plays perfectly on its console is a perfect game for that console, no matter the style, gameplay etc and the type of console, if a game doesn't run or play well it's neither the game's genre nor hardware's fault, but developer's fault.

You are forgetting that CPU is playing a large part in how a game got designed. Valkyrie Chronicle couldn't load a whole map when it moved to handheld, so they have to split the map into what you said, "bite-sized" level. That's where the limitation of hardware interfere with game design. That's where you think it's the right compromise, and it hurts the franchise badly.

It's easy to point finger at developers. "They should have optimize the game better". "They could design the game to bypass those limitation". No, not everyone has that kind of budget/talent to meet your demand on the platform of your choice.

Tizoc

I personally disagree with this sentiment; one of the things I loved about Super Mario 3D Land was how short the levels were. Bite-sized allow for a good short playtime, and you can choose to play either 1, 2 or 3 levels before going back to doing anything else.

bobohoro

Serious contribution: I have no dislike or preference either way. Good art, fun game, I'll take it. I'm sure the novelty of "cute girl DRPGs" will wear off at some point, but at this point it's still something that's pretty unique in my opinion so I'm happy that we're getting some.

I stand with YG on this. While I'd like more diversity and experimentation in terms of art style, I'm already glad we get the stuff we do nowadays. Dungeon Travelers 2 would have been pretty impossible a few years back to even consider for localisation, now we get a supposedly awesome DRPG and some people kinda give off the vibe that we would be better off without it. The constant shitting on everything anime/moe gets tiresome fast, it's almost at the level of complaining about the flood of FPS or Open World games of past years.

I got about halfway through Demon Gaze (I think? I'm at the first floor of the castle) and got bored. I don't think I will ever finish a DRPG, I just don't find them engaging enough, and too repetitive.

At least you tried. There is no shame in admitting a genre isn't to your liking, or you're just not in the mood for it now. I had a similar start with DRPGs, only getting halfway in and always losing interest fast, but the games grew on me over the years and something seemd to click for me without me really noticing. I still only like to play 2 or 3 per year, because they can get exhausting, but I'm considering them one of my favourite forms of games nowadays.

htol#niq is 40% off this week in EU, probably didn't do so hot.

I stand with YG on this. While I'd like more diversity and experimentation in terms of art style, I'm already glad we get the stuff we do nowadays. Dungeon Travelers 2 would have been pretty impossible a few years back to even consider for localisation, now we get a supposedly awesome DRPG and some people kinda give off the vibe that we would be better off without it. The constant shitting on everything anime/moe gets tiresome fast, it's almost at the level of complaining about the flood of FPS or Open World games of past years.
Yeah there's a lot of games I don't care about, but demanding more of x and less of y right now seems silly unless you have very narrow tastes in games or only have a Vita. If there's an announcement of a game I don't care about I just close the thread and look at announcements like Sayonara Umihara Kawase Chirari, Dragon Quest Heroes and Dungeon Travelers 2. I haven't been this excited and hopeful about (japanese) videogames in a long while

Top Bottom