• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | April 2015

SerTapTap

No issues in the Gradius V PS3 port, right? I heard of timing issues of running PS1 shmups on PS2 so I wasn't sure if this'd be the same deal. I need to get a PS1 and PS2 back...

"Serious" for example like this:
opposed to something like this:
EDIT:
i despise the console/handheld games dinstinction, it's pure bullshit.

What's the second game? Asking for a friend. Oh, I can see it in the image name
And yes, the console/handheld game distinction has been bullshit since the DS/PSP days. Suspend almost singlehandedly makes it irrelevant, and add in real quicksaves and you can make a game of any length even between real saves and it's no big deal.

Never forget:

I didn't realize the Xenoblade guys worked on Star Ocean. Jesus christ how do people still think that horrific anime doll style looks good.

Brandish is out in Europe. Labelled as PSP only, because SCEE is useless. Tempted to pick it up and see if it works on the Vita.

Oh god WTF

Renpatsu

That's not really true either. SCEE just seems to have a particular problem with allowing new PSP games to be played on Vita.
I was particularly referring to PSP games released of late. It seems like every single time a PSP title belated crops up on PSN we go through this song and dance of whether it'll be compatible or will get shafted and forced to wait (if at all) for compatibility to come.

I was particularly referring to PSP games released of late. It seems like every single time a PSP title belated crops up on PSN we go through this song and dance of whether it'll be compatible or will get shafted and forced to wait (if at all) for compatibility to come.

Yeah that's true. The only "recent" game it was ever "fixed" for is Castlevania X afaik. There's going to be many tears when Trails SC comes out. But since it's by XSEED themselves and they now see what happened with Brandish, maybe it'll work out better. Probably not.

bobohoro

Yeah that's true. The only "recent" game it was ever "fixed" for is Castlevania X afaik. There's going to be many tears when Trails SC comes out. But since it's by XSEED themselves and they now see what happened with Brandish, maybe it'll work out better. Probably not.

Don't you even dare to joke/jynx/whatever the SC release. If anything goes wrong with that, I have no idea what I'm gonna do.

Well, crying is pretty close actually.

Don't you even dare to joke/jynx/whatever the SC release. If anything goes wrong with that, I have no idea what I'm gonna do.

Well, crying is pretty close actually.

Here's what wyrdwad (XSEED) had to say about Brandish when told about the EU PSP issues http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=134786761&postcount=12

I've never heard of this before. Even if a PSP game isn't downloadable directly onto Vita (for some reason!), you should still be able to, say, download it onto your PS3 and copy it over to Vita. The idea that the game would simply not be set to function on a Vita sounds like pure madness to me.

I don't think you'll have much to worry about with Brandish or Trails 2, however -- I think it's pretty likely that we'll be pursuing a PSN release in EU ourselves, as we have with the majority of our past Falcom PSP titles. And considering we're anticipating most people will be playing these games on their Vitas due to the much higher install base, we would be pretty pissed if we were told our games weren't going to be downloadable onto Vita, as that would basically kill any sales potential the games might otherwise have.

no worries at all now :)

Bit the bullet and got shot for my efforts.

CConMefWEAA_9xY.jpg

WTF, SCEE?

izcBTIF.gif

Just found the PR (searching Brandish on twitter brings up some.. interesting results)
XSEED Games is excited to announce today that the critically-acclaimed dungeon-crawling action RPG adventure, Brandish: The Dark Revenant, is now available for digital download across Europe for the PSP (PlayStation®Portable) system at a retail price of €15.99/£12.99. The game is also fully compatible with the PlayStation®Vita handheld entertainment system and PlayStation®TV system. Brave European bounty hunters and sorceresses can now enter the lost ruins of Vittoria on their PSPs, Vitas or PSTVs, where death lurks around every corner and nothing is as it seems!

“We’re incredibly pleased to be able to bring Brandish: The Dark Revenant to Europe at last,” said Ken Berry, Executive Vice President of XSEED Games. “Our European fans will no doubt enjoy experiencing Nihon Falcom’s remastered classic, just as others from around the world have taken to this outstanding game.”

totally fully compatible I swear
The PS3 is pretty much a required accessory for the Vita to fully enjoy its classics library
So far it seems like that doesn't work either

SerTapTap

yeah was just about to post about that PR, got it a few minutes ago. Obviously SCEE's fuckup

The PS3 is pretty much a required accessory for the Vita to fully enjoy its classics library

I can't believe PS3 transfer is still a thing...when it first happened I figured it was just a silly workaround for stuff not in the store. I can't imagine why there would be anything in the gap between "downloads directly from Vita" and "nope you can't play this" but here we are.

Brandish isn't even listed in this week's blog post. Good job. Seriously this week is empty as hell for the Vita and they can't even be bothered to list one of the best titles coming out on it.

That SCEE fuckup of the brandish psp port reminds me of the regular fuckup when the pdf 2nd dlcs update.
````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
So far Pale wing is starting to feel better compared to the ground Storm 1 troops. She has a very limited health bar for now though.

G4Y1P7q.jpg

WE ARE DOOMED - PS4

This game is a generic twin stick shooter without any gimmicks, uniqueness or good playability. It has two modes, "endless" which is an arcade mode and "waves" where you complete 30 levels with checkpoints at 10 and 20. There is a super power shot that you need collect a lot of things for that doesn't last long unless you are collecting more stuff and hardly seems worth it. Not much else is here. Lots of spawning on top of your ship with very little warning. Often hard to see what is going on because it always vomiting indie graphics all over the place. Hard to recommend when Geometry Wars 3 and Super Startdust Delta exist on PS4.

5/10

Here is gameplay without commentary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwLMz78N8MA

Li Kao

Ok guys, so is there no customization option for the PS4 dashboard ?
I mean that's a detail but downloaded games icons are all over the place. I downloaded the Destiny demo yesterday and its fucking icon is near the far right of my icon row.

I mean that's a detail but downloaded games icons are all over the place. I downloaded the Destiny demo yesterday and its fucking icon is near the far right of my icon row.

Not like you (and I) are looking for, nope.

antibolo

Banned

Nope, that's a common complaint.

Apps are sorted by most recent updated/played. You can choose whether you see everything or the most recent 15 apps, and that's all customization there is.

SerTapTap

It's a list of recent apps, not a desktop. It's ordered by time except the inserted disk will always jump to the front on boot. You can limit the count to 15 which helps, then you use the library to find other stuff. The PS Camera's voice commands kind of help since you can just bark out the name of the game you want. Folders would be nice but that's not really how it's set up so I'm not sure what they'll do about that.

Honestly at a certain point there's no "good" way to sort games anymore. All the categories and folders in the world don't make my PS3 or Steam library any less of a mess with 200-400 games each, PS4 is already near 100. At that point search beats out over any degree of sorting.

It's a list of recent apps, not a desktop. It's ordered by time except the inserted disk will always jump to the front on boot. You can limit the count to 15 which helps, then you use the library to find other stuff. The PS Camera's voice commands kind of help since you can just bark out the name of the game you want. Folders would be nice but that's not really how it's set up so I'm not sure what they'll do about that.

Honestly at a certain point there's no "good" way to sort games anymore. All the categories and folders in the world don't make my PS3 or Steam library any less of a mess with 200-400 games each, PS4 is already near 100. At that point search beats out over any degree of sorting.

Being able to favourite a small number of games as games you're currently playing or are planning to play on Steam already helps immensely.

I should have probably watched more gameplay of Titan Souls before buying. Apparently this game is just boss battles and I am not a fan of boss battles and often quit a game before beating the last boss if I think it is lame. The needless walk through the empty map every time I die is really annoying. The Vita version seems identical to me to the PS4 version and runs well. Might be an optical illusion but the Vita version seems more zoomed in? It has cross save but it didn't work for me. Maybe I need to manually trigger it?

Vita screenshot:
UldOdhC.jpg

It's a list of recent apps, not a desktop. It's ordered by time except the inserted disk will always jump to the front on boot. You can limit the count to 15 which helps, then you use the library to find other stuff.

Except that library is filled with demos I neither want anymore nor have installed on my system, making navigation a bitch.

If you're going to give me a Library system, let me organize it - you know, like everyone in the world does to their bookshelf, computer desktop, desk, phone screen, or otherwise from which they keep a personal library.

Giving us a way to pin apps to the "list of recent apps" would be a first step, but as with any system a list of checkable categories is always best (especially if they can be broken down further).

Oh, and demos you deleted need to go.

SerTapTap

"Currently playing" is basically what it already does by recents. At least for me I don't think pinning would be much help at all. I'd just pin Capture Gallery since it's the only thing I regularly need that doesn't eventually stop being used. But I just bring it up via voice search now. Not really sure how they could get search working well with controller though. Even with gyrotype I'd rather not type at all on console, and I use a bluetooth keyboard for tweeting pictures.

Except that library is filled with demos I neither want anymore nor have installed on my system, making navigation a bitch.

Yeah demos/betas/F2P games you've deleted need to disapear automatically like with Steam. Maybe an exception for special stuff like PT and FFXV? Or just, a button to hide/remove them, really. Love to hide Amazon too since it shows up as a "game" for some stupid reason

antibolo

Banned
I just love how my Library is cluttered by the Destiny Alpha and Beta. That's even worse than demos, it's stuff that literally has no purpose ever being installed again.

Li Kao

Mmh, yeah. I get the feeling that in the list of issues inherent to digital life, the organization is often overlooked. Fair price, ownership, etc are more important evidently but yeah, there always comes a time when any UI is absolutely destroyed by a large amount of downloaded items. This is in no way limited to games though.
That being said, at least consolidate the games in the same spot.

antibolo

Banned
Let's be honest though, the PS4 Library is still a massive improvement over the shitfest that is the combined PS3/PSP/Vita download list.

SerTapTap

Discovery is probably one of the biggest problems with digital storefronts really. In a retail store for better or worse there's limited stock space and always prominently displayed "new"/big games, but moving to digital there's basically unlimited "backlog" titles and it's a really hard problem to solve if it's solvable at all (not entirely convinced it is, but I'm sure it can be done better). At a certain point there's just too much for the human brain/eyes to process on a single "screen".

Even search doesn't solve all problems, I occasionally for get what games I have. I've even forgotten I own physical copies of things.

I do hope Sony starts reacting more quickly to feedback though. The last two major updates, while individually amazing, took way too long to happen. A single big-ish feature a month would be way more preferable and quiet a lot of people down probably. Also I don't even want friend notifications but I hope they add them so people shut up about them.

Let's be honest though, the PS4 Library is still a massive improvement over the shitfest that is the combined PS3/PSP/Vita download list.

Yes, the library is basically glorious compared to all non-PC digital platforms I have. I wish they'd at least add it to PS Vita, willing to mark the PS3 as a lost cause if we can get that, even if it's an app, even if I have to close my games to open it.

antibolo

Banned
Digital platform holders should take a page from the 90's view of future computing and design their digital storefronts as virtual 3D environments.

If done correctly this could be really neat, and better encourage people to find and buy stuff.

SerTapTap

Digital platform holders should take a page from the 90's view of future computing and design their digital storefronts as virtual 3D environments.

If done correctly this could be really neat, and better encourage people to find and buy stuff.

Only if I can take all the virtual boxes of Estival Versus and leave them in the Early Childhood section

Li Kao

Digital platform holders should take a page from the 90's view of future computing and make their digital storefronts virtual 3D environments.

Seems like a logical evolution but then the problem becomes how to navigate a 3d environment quickly and efficiently. Looks like you would exchange an issue for a bigger one.

SerTapTap

I'm not sure it'd honestly solve anything, but it'd be a neat addition to a Morpheus version of PS Home. Surprised they shut down home without even hinting towards something like that. Then again the generic creepy avatars are probably even worse in VR. I wonder how VR representation will ever work out. I don't think you can really ever get realistic enough for that.

Producer

No issues in the Gradius V PS3 port, right? I heard of timing issues of running PS1 shmups on PS2 so I wasn't sure if this'd be the same deal. I need to get a PS1 and PS2 back...

PS1 and PS2 emulation on PS3 (doesnt matter if disc based or PSN Classic) always add between 1-2 frames of lag. Could be up to 3-4 depending on your setup. So for a game like this, it is more of a factor than say an rpg, but you'll probably be able to manage if its just 1-2 frames.

SerTapTap

PS1 and PS2 emulation on PS3 (doesnt matter if disc based or PSN Classic) always add between 1-2 frames of lag. Could be up to 3-4 depending on your setup. So for a game like this, it is more of a factor than say an rpg, but you'll probably be able to manage if its just 1-2 frames.

Oh, arg. I guess if I can play Mega Man X4 on a PS3 this won't be too much worse. Not like I was great at Gradius 3 anyway. Fuck that boss rush.

how are the customization options in this anyway? The singular good feature of Otomedius was that it's customization for ship upgrades was really great, damn shame it wasn't attached to a game with good levels, enemies or bosses.

AmanoBuff

I should have probably watched more gameplay of Titan Souls before buying. Apparently this game is just boss battles and I am not a fan of boss battles and often quit a game before beating the last boss if I think it is lame. The needless walk through the empty map every time I die is really annoying. The Vita version seems identical to me to the PS4 version and runs well. Might be an optical illusion but the Vita version seems more zoomed in? It has cross save but it didn't work for me. Maybe I need to manually trigger it?

Vita screenshot:
UldOdhC.jpg

Thanks for the impressions. Is it native res/60fps. I'm not usually picky about that except for games with crazy fast combat like this one.

I will buy it regardless. I'm a sucker for boss fights.

Ps. What's the games's size for Vita.

Thanks for the impressions. Is it native res/60fps. I'm not usually picky about that except for games with crazy fast combat like this one.

I will buy it regardless. I'm a sucker for boss fights.

Ps. What's the games's size for Vita.

Vita sized patched is 302MB. Not sure if native 60fps but does look good and runs smooth.

Not sure if I want to play this on Vita or PS4. The arrow is often hard to spot on PS4 but even harder on Vita. The broken up gameplay seems more like a Vita game tho. Probably play on both assuming I can get the cross save working. The cross save stuff in the menus is confusing.

SerTapTap

Wish Sony had some better guidelines/standards for cross save. The ways Doki Doki Universe (fully automatic) and Fez (fully automatic for a single, separate save slot) do it are great. Anything involving manual upload/download is super gross and means it won't work when you need it most (suddenly using you Vita when away from the PS4 and you didn't plan to upload).

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
You are forgetting that CPU is playing a large part in how a game got designed. Valkyrie Chronicle couldn't load a whole map when it moved to handheld, so they have to split the map into what you said, "bite-sized" level. That's where the limitation of hardware interfere with game design. That's where you think it's the right compromise, and it hurts the franchise badly.

It's easy to point finger at developers. "They should have optimize the game better". "They could design the game to bypass those limitation". No, not everyone has that kind of budget/talent to meet your demand on the platform of your choice.
Aren't there srpgs on handhelds? Are you saying that srpgs are a home console genre?
How VC2 ended on PSP has nothing to do with handheld/home console games dinstinction, damn you are comparing a PS3 game to a PSP game, how the hell it was supposed to handle the same complexity as a PS3 game? What you are complaining about has nothing to do with the type of console but just with its power, VC could not have been made perfectly also on the PS2, or the gamecube, the dreamcast etc, that's because it was made around the power of PS3, not because it's a home console game, Vita and smatphones probably can already handle it.

I personally disagree with this sentiment; one of the things I loved about Super Mario 3D Land was how short the levels were. Bite-sized allow for a good short playtime, and you can choose to play either 1, 2 or 3 levels before going back to doing anything else.
Some genres, like platformers, are more suitable for "bite sized" levels, in other genres it limits the level design and gameplay without any real advantage that save games and standby mode cannot already give.

Shizuka

I bought Epic Mickey 2 (Vita) from the eBay listing from a few pages ago, I went to check the order and there is no tracking code. The shipping listed is the free one, Economy Int'l Shipping, shouldn't there be a tracking code available?

autoduelist

Wonder if this is a sign that there are more fence sitters this time around waiting to see what others say about the title. Instead of just rushing out to preorder it?

do we know anything about the sales tail of Demon Gaze? At the time it felt more like a delayed sleeper hit to me than people rushing out to preorder it.

I'd hope any company releasing a niche genre on a niche device has to have sane expectations. I mean, i'm a big fan of drpgs but would never buy a SE or LE. Just give me a stock case. I'm quite looking forward to OA and I've got it preordered but that isn't moving SE stock.

I'm a bit worried about Operation Abyss. It doesn't look like it's going to do too hot. Demon Gaze had the novelty of being the first DRPG on the platform and the first from Experience too.

See, I don't understand where people are really getting this from? It's being talked up just as much as DG was here. It seems a bit early to get concerned about it, especially since we have no reliable way to know how many people are getting it.

I got about halfway through Demon Gaze (I think? I'm at the first floor of the castle) and got bored. I don't think I will ever finish a DRPG, I just don't find them engaging enough, and too repetitive.

It's certainly a potential issue -- just as, say, a hack and slash like God of War or Conan can start to feel repetitive if weapon / skill / combat / enemy variation isn't good enough, so can turn based combat... in fact, it's even harder to design well imo.

A good drpg can elevate above that though, keeping combat fresh with bizarre new enemies with new powers, robust skill/class/combat systems, etc.

But you also need an innate like of the basic mechanics - leveling up and getting more powerful and learning how to exploit the weaknesses of your enemies. it's definitely not a genre for everyone.

2)there's no reason for "bite-sized" levels when there are save games, checkpoints, stand by function and so on: well that's clear right? Save games and stand-by mode allow more "bite-sized" play than short levels without game design limitations.

Any game that runs and plays perfectly on its console is a perfect game for that console, no matter the style, gameplay etc and the type of console, if a game doesn't run or play well it's neither the game's genre nor hardware's fault, but developer's fault.

Not sure I agree with either statement.

Memory limitations can force major concessions that you didn't plan on. For example, you might have designed all your levels on paper and had prototypes, but once you get your assets and enemies and everything going you struggle to hit 15 fps. So after debating your options, you cut every level in half (double the levels, now, but each much shorter). That's a viable, if simplistic, solution.

I wouldn't always be so quick to put all blame on the developer either. Platforms can have issues that are extremely hard to design around. If the game doesn't play well, sure, that's bad design and it happens. But technical issues can be just as much the fault of the limitations of a platform, or engine, or programming language as they are the developers.

Memory limitations, in particular, are not something that can be solved by 'save games' or 'checkpoints' as you suggest. I mean, if you have an open world game and can't load everything you'd be able to see standing on a tower into memory at the same time, you need to start making serious concessions to draw distance, number of objects, etc. Heck, you might even remove anything tall that gives a wide view. VC2 is a perfect example of that sort of concession where they needed to reduce the battlefield size... save games don't help with that.

Yeah there's a lot of games I don't care about, but demanding more of x and less of y right now seems silly unless you have very narrow tastes in games or only have a Vita.

Yup. Especially since one less localization by a niche japanese dev isn't going to translate to getting something else instead.

I can't believe PS3 transfer is still a thing...when it first happened I figured it was just a silly workaround for stuff not in the store. I can't imagine why there would be anything in the gap between "downloads directly from Vita" and "nope you can't play this" but here we are.

it's definitely the biggest oddity. it's also why i think licensing is to blame quite a bit... it's just too weird, it almost has to be on purpose... and if so, licensing is the only thing i can come up with.

WE ARE DOOMED - PS4

Hmm. I was hoping for a slightly better review. On the psblog the guy said he's a one man team and i think he said he'd be releasing new content? I think I'll probably buy it to check it out myself - GW3 and SSD are highly polished by teams with tons of experience so I don't necessarily need that to be the case here.

If you're going to give me a Library system, let me organize it - you know, like everyone in the world does to their bookshelf, computer desktop, desk, phone screen, or otherwise from which they keep a personal library.

The PS4 library is clearly designed for a low-item count launch system. I'm sure we'll get more robust features eventually. Obviously, people that buy a lot will already be hitting the usability cap, and ps+ makes it rough for all.

Maid

Banned
Aren't there srpgs on handhelds? Are you saying that srpgs are a home console genre?
How VC2 ended on PSP has nothing to do with handheld/home console games dinstinction, damn you are comparing a PS3 game to a PSP game, how the hell it was supposed to handle the same complexity as a PS3 game? What you are complaining about has nothing to do with the type of console but just with its power, VC could not have been made perfectly also on the PS2, or the gamecube, the dreamcast etc, that's because it was made around the power of PS3, not because it's a home console game, Vita and smatphones probably can already handle it.

I've never said any genre belongs to any platform. I said the game design of the game from genre depends on the platform it's made for, and hardware limitation plays a big role in that. You're free to believe it has nothing to do with each other, but the market has proven otherwise.

AmanoBuff

Vita sized patched is 302MB. Not sure if native 60fps but does look good and runs smooth.

Not sure if I want to play this on Vita or PS4. The arrow is often hard to spot on PS4 but even harder on Vita. The broken up gameplay seems more like a Vita game tho. Probably play on both assuming I can get the cross save working. The cross save stuff in the menus is confusing.

Thanks for the reply. No PS4 here, but my Vita is my favorite console anyway. Hopefully I won't have any visibility issues, although I have to admit the character and the arrow look quite small in all the screenshots I've seen.

Edit: Oh, it's been a while since I've been at the top of the page. Get Titan Souls!

Top Bottom