• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | August 2015

Id say if something as simple as OA turned you off, then most def you are just not into the genre.
I think I'm just over saturated with DRPGs these days. I was all over the EOs, SMT IV, Soul Hackers, Demon Gaze, etc. I played these games to death. The thought of getting lost in dungeons while mapping now however just doesn't appeal to me anymore.

VLiberty

Lol internet went down for 2 days but now it's more than twice as fast than before

I had an awful 2 Mbps, now I think I have a 4/5 Mbps. PS3 is downloading at around 500kb/s, it's a dream come true

JAW (Gravity Crash, Oddworld) is teasing something Vita related for Monday. Not New 'n' Tasty.

https://twitter.com/jawltd/status/627152341725261824

https://twitter.com/jawltd/status/627152716012388353

Hype

Monday is Gamescom time, right?

edit: something about Volume maybe?
http://www.jawltd.com/project/volume/

Though it would've been PS4+Vita

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I think I'm just over saturated with DRPGs these days. I was all over the EOs, SMT IV, Soul Hackers, Demon Gaze, etc. I played these games to death. The thought of getting lost in dungeons while mapping now however just doesn't appeal to me anymore.

Yeah sounds like you burned yourself out. At least there are more than enough other titles to keep you busy and such which are already out or coming out soon.

Yeah sounds like you burned yourself out. At least there are more than enough other titles to keep you busy and such which are already out or coming out soon.
Surprisingly enough my tastes do seem to have shifted. I used play a ton of JRPGs with Anime graphics and whatnot, and somewhat ignore western releases. Too much of a good thing isn't always good. I seem to be putting those aside in favour of watching more actual Anime, while playing western genres that I didn't really play before such as Action, FPS, WRPGs and such.

In the near future I am however still very excited for Danganronpa, Corpse Party and Trails of Cold Steel, so my JRPG love isn't completely gone. I have just expanded my library.

Happy August! I'm brand new to the PSN world. Going to buy a PS4 tomorrow morning.
I had a PSP back when it came out but didn't connect to PSN for some reason.

Going to buy a year of PS+ and already have purchased TLoU:R.
Excited for Everybody's Gone to the Rapture and Dishonored Definitive Edition. Played the hell out of Dishonored back when, but wouldn't mind having another go.

I'm excited for Dishonored too. I just don't know why, since I've beat the game like 3 times already.

Woo, new thread! Only thing coming out in August in buying is Steins;Gate Vita. In the meantime, I've got Neptunia 2 true ending to finish, Demon Gaze coming today to play, and finish up my replay of the MGS series in prep for V in September (I'm partway into 3 at the moment). Bit of a full month for me, since I don't often get to play as much as I would like, but September is going to be even crazier with MGS V, Danganronpa AE, and Persona DAN, with hopefully a little bit of backlog clearing in there.

autoduelist

I didn't know lol. But thanks for the warning. My last DRPG was Operation Abyss, and not to say the game is bad, but it left a bad after taste in my mouth. Left me wondering if I'm still as into the genre as I used to be.

I'm not sure if you're saying the gameplay left a bad taste in your mouth or the fanservice.

If it's the gameplay, then yeah, it sounds like you are done with the genre. While not perfect, it's got solid dungeon design and combat.

If it's the fanservice, then... hmm... I can't even think of much other than the two panel 'idol competition' in swimsuits. Oh, and I suppose if you used 'basic' ragdoll mode, you had some skimpy armor [for either gender] though it had terrible stats and you'd need to go out of your way crafting to make it usable. My characters were covered from head to toe. Armor looked really cool, too, so glad I played basic mode.

If it was the plot... I thought it was atrocious. Like, terrible, perhaps the worst plot/writing since C2 or Monster Monpiece [whichever of those released last]. Actually, maybe even worse writing than C2, for what it was... though nothing can beat MM in terms of awful writing. Thankfully I try to ignore all that stuff anyway. Not liking that really doesn't say much about your interest in drpgs in general, since plots are so dependent on game. I'd prefer my drpgs relatively plotless and western blank slate style, so I just ignore all that anyway.

I'm not sure if you're saying the gameplay left a bad taste in your mouth or the fanservice.

If it's the gameplay, then yeah, it sounds like you are done with the genre. While not perfect, it's got solid dungeon design and combat.

If it's the fanservice, then... hmm... I can't even think of much other than the two panel 'idol competition' in swimsuits.

If it was the plot... I thought it was atrocious. Like, terrible, perhaps the worst plot/writing since C2 or Monster Monpiece [whichever of those released last]. Actually, maybe even worse writing than C2, for what it was... though nothing can beat MM in terms of awful writing. Thankfully I try to ignore all that stuff anyway. Not liking that really doesn't say much about your interest in drpgs in general, since plots are so dependent on game.

Definitely the gameplay, the countless systems in the game that I didnt understand and couldn't utilize properly, the weird "attack at random" that wouldnt let you select single targets, the way skills system worked, and this last one i guess is more a fault of my own, but the length of the dungeons. That first one that had you teleporting through floors up and down made me want to pull my hair out lol.

As you can see, I really didn't like the game lol. The other DRPG that I played recently was Persona Q, and I had no complaints about it, other than the system being easy to break and in the end you find that one skill that you can spam with each character to guarantee a win. I eventually got bored.

EDIT: I've downloaded the demo but I gotta step out for a few. I will try this today and share my thoughts, to see whether it was just me being burnt out or just OA that didn't click.

RK128

JAW (Gravity Crash, Oddworld) is teasing something Vita related for Monday. Not New 'n' Tasty.

https://twitter.com/jawltd/status/627152341725261824

https://twitter.com/jawltd/status/627152716012388353

I wonder if this might be related to the Kickstarter being worked on by Lab Zero; they mentioned that a hypothetical Vita version of their game would need a good amount of work to get done, so maybe they asked the Oddworld guys to help them with the port (they do have a lot of expertize making Vita games).

Shizuka

I wonder if this might be related to the Kickstarter being worked on by Lab Zero; they mentioned that a hypothetical Vita version of their game would need a good amount of work to get done, so maybe they asked the Oddworld guys to help them with the port (they do have a lot of expertize making Vita games).

That's a stretch, tying two completely unrelated things together.

RK128

That's a stretch, tying two completely unrelated things together.

Just spit balling ideas :). Not really sure what else they could be doing......

A Gravity Crash sequel? New IP? Information + Release Date for New and Tasty on Vita?

The latter choice is the likely pick I guess :D.

Shizuka

Just spit balling ideas :). Not really sure what else they could be doing......

A Gravity Crash sequel? New IP? Information + Release Date for New and Tasty on Vita?

The latter choice is the likely pick I guess :D.

No, it's right there that it's unrelated to New and Tasty.

Was asked to review Actual Sunlight and said "no thanks" because I would not be a capable person to review a visual novel as I haven't played many and don't really understand what makes a good one. I fired up it anyway to give it a shot and this is the first image:

gBEC6Qa.jpg

Nope. Closed it immediately. I don't do depressive media.

This month looking forward to:

DiscStorm
Resident Evil Revelations 2 on Vita
Nova-111
Volume

Good Vita month!

RK128

Was asked to review Actual Sunlight and said "no thanks" because I would not be a capable person to review a visual novel as I haven't played many and don't really understand what makes a good one. I fired up it anyway to give it a shot and this is the first image:

gBEC6Qa.jpg

This month looking forward to:

DiscStorm
Resident Evil Revelations 2 on Vita
Nova-111
Volume

Good Vita month!

Never heard of that game before....judging from its mature themes, its story might be interesting to experience.

Benedict

Vote to Play Coming Soon.

a new PlayStation Plus promotion that literally puts the choice in your hands – Vote to Play. This promotion enables PlayStation Plus members to vote on one of several PlayStation 4 games for the upcoming month’s Instant Game Collection.
The game with the most votes will automatically be included in our future free game lineup for PlayStation Plus. If your pick didn’t make the lineup, don’t worry. In the first promotion, PlayStation Plus members can get the runner ups at a discount. We love to listen to our fans – and we’re super excited to launch this promotion.
We’ll have more details for you soon on when voting begins, what titles will be up for voting, and how you can cast your vote.

Could be good or go horribly wrong...

RK128

Vote to Play Coming Soon.

Could be good or go horribly wrong...

I'm leaning on horribly wrong on this one :l. A simple look on the PS+ thread can answer this; no one knows what they want and giving those people the choice on a game isn't the smartest of ideas :(.

If one game wins, others will be pissed about the other two games losing and 'having' to pay for the game(s) now...

This voting thing seems very much like an experiment and on the EU blog they even said it won't happen every month. I don't think it will make much of a difference

Never heard of that game before....judging from its mature themes, its story might be interesting to experience.

Yeah Actual Sunlight is a Western made visual novel with a "Japanese style" according to the self description. I think many people might lose interest at the point when they hear it was made in Canada.

RK128

This voting thing seems very much like an experiment and on the EU blog they even sad it won't happen every month. I don't think it will make much of a difference

So this is a bi-monthly or two-three times a year type of deal then?

I really don't mind then :l; gives people two/three times a year to vote on one out of four Plus games they really want to play.

I just don't want this to be a common event as there is a clear indie hatred in the PS+ thread at times :(.

Doofcake

Ah yeah that voting thing. I want to be optimistic and say it will work out great, but at the same time, NOT having public votes for PS+ games enables great but lesser known games to gain attention. We'll still need more details on how the voting thing works too. Are we given the opportunity to vote for ALL the next month's IGC games or do we only vote for one game to be added to the set of games Sony picks themselves. We'll see.

ryseing

Everybody's Gone to The Rapture pre-ordered, maybes on Dishonored DE ($20 upgrade is tempting...), Toy Soldiers, and Volume. Slow month, but whatevs. Gives me more time to finish Witcher before school starts.

In regards to the whole Plus voting thing, I want to play Grow Home, so hopefully that is part of the first vote. I think the whole deal will be an interesting experiment. Of course, the first vaguely AAA game that gets put up there will sweep the voting, so I hope Sony stays away from those for now.

4HrN9p0.jpg

Lol I'm liking the game. I think it was just that OA didn't click. Is the game as story heavy as it seems to be? Not that it's a bad thing, I'm enjoying this quite a bit.

Apparently it is. Wonder if us Europeans will get the demo as well...
I hope you do because not only did the demo put my worries about losing my love for DRPGs aside (for now at least) but it sold me on the game. The fact that it is story heavy is a huge plus. The character portraits are pretty good. The fan service can be strong at times, but it's alright lol. Also being able to save at any time, with little to no loading interruptions, the amount of skills you can get, etc. Man this game is real good lol.

Fishy.

Ryan95

That leaves me very perplexed, I'm pretty skeptic it could be related to a Vita GR after Yoshida statement of "no Vita games being developed internally atm" at E3. The most likely scenario I can think about is beta testing for GR Remaster for PS4, and they're looking for Vita GR players to better test the game and get some kind of feedback about the Remaster gameplay similarity with the Vita original experience

Saphirax

I hope you do because not only did the demo put my worries about losing my love for DRPGs aside (for now at least) but it sold me on the game. The fact that it is story heavy is a huge plus. The character portraits are pretty good. The fan service can be strong at times, but it's alright lol. Also being able to save at any time, with little to no loading interruptions, the amount of skills you can get, etc. Man this game is real good lol.

Fishy.

Now I'm back on the fence whether I should import the game or not :p. October IS far off and packed...

RK128

Anyone interested in Mighty No. 9 might be sad to hear this; the game got delayed to next year for unannounced reasons.

There could be a number of reasons for this:
-To link it up with the upcoming animated series
-Link it up to the upcoming live-action film
-Get some funding from the game into Red Ash despite netting a publisher for the title
-Need the time to optimize the game for every platform
-Want to launch the handheld versions (Vita and 3DS) with the console versions (PS4, X1, Wii U, PS3, 360 (I think?), and PC).

It seems that Concept can't catch a break the past month or so.....

Edit: And it seems like another delay was announced sadly :(. Amplitude for the PS3 and PS4 got delayed to next year according to this thread.

I guess work on Rock Band 4 is holding them up but at least we got a reason for this delay:

"Greetings, beloved backers!

This is Alex Rigopulos, writing to you through a cartoon speech bubble. Ryan and I are eager to fill you all in on a number big developments in Amplitude Land.

As the game came together this year, it became apparent to all of us that it was shaping up to be something really special. The gameplay is as fun and addictive as ever, the HD visuals are gorgeous and hypnotic, and the soundtrack is killer.

The game is fulfilling all of our hopes and ambitions for it, and at a certain point, we made a major call: We’ve decided to double down, increase the project budget, and make the new Amplitude bigger and better than the scope of game we originally pitched to you all last year.

I will now hand the mic over to Cartoon Ryan, who will tell you some more details.

Although we had originally promised about 16 songs total, we have decided to cram as much awesome music into Amplitude as possible. We now upped the total count to 30 songs! If you are a backer at the appropriate tiers, you will also get a 31st song too, voted on by the Song Senate—our group of backers that chipped in at the Song Senate tier. (Side note: In a display of true Amplitude community good will, the Song Senate decided to keep the “most wanted” song in the main game soundtrack, instead of keeping it all to themselves. THANKS, SONG SENATE!)

You guys may also recall that early in the dev cycle, we decided to add a concept album wrapper to the otherwise vanilla solo mode. This is all new for Amplitude and we think it adds a bit more depth and interest to the game and the songs themselves. The core campaign now includes 16 all-original songs, written in-house by our amazing musicians. You have heard some of these tracks in past posts and at the conventions… songs like “Decode Me” and “Wetware”.
In addition to the basic play modes that were promised originally, and the single path/single environment in which they would be presented, we decided to expand both of those dimensions by adding 2 more playable environments, unique path topology per song, and more play modes. We are now shipping a solo campaign, solo free play, 2-4 player “free-for-all”, and an all-new team play mode (1v3, 2v2).

Over the course of the project, we created the original nanoblaster and the backerblaster, and also made 3 additional nanoblasters for players to choose from in solo and multi play. (v0.9 Chubs is my personal fave, displacing v1.1 Raven)

We have added leaderboards, allowing players to compete asynchronously against each other online for score, both per-song and across the whole game.
Oh! One last thing: There is a new, still-to-be-announced way to play the game that will change the way you think about Amplitude’s 6-lane track. More on that at a later date! Now back to Alex.

Thanks, Cartoon Ryan. So that’s all of the good news. Now for the bad news that comes along with it: It’s impossible for us to finish all of these extra songs, environments, features and modes on the same schedule. Our previous target for shipping the game was this summer. Now that we’ve committed to this expanded scope, though, we won’t be able to complete and ship the game until the end of this year on PS4 (with the PS3 version coming shortly thereafter).

Kickstarter backers who paid for the “early access” reward will be able to play the PS4 version in December, prior to the holiday break. For everyone else, the PS4 version will become available in January. (We’ll follow up with the exact dates in December and January for PS4 as soon as we have them. PS3 will follow shortly behind.)

We know that this schedule slip will be a disappointment to many of you. (Frankly, it’s disappointing to us as well, as we’re all dying to play the finished game…) However, our judgment was that our highest priority is to deliver the best game we possibly can to our fans—the definitive version of Amplitude. We want to over-deliver for our biggest supporters, and that’s simply going to require some extra time.

Some of you might wonder—will this delay mean that synchronous online multiplayer will be added? I’m sorry to say, it will not, as that is impossible within our budget means for this game, even with the expanded budget. However, our hope is that this release of Amplitude will be successful enough to justify a sequel or feature expansion pack that could include this. In the meantime, the newly added leaderboard system will enable plenty of heated asynchronous online competition!

Finally, I should add that the physical rewards are beginning production, and we’ll have more news on those in the coming weeks.

From the whole Amplitude team, thank you for your continued support and patience. We think that when you see the finished product at the end of this year, you’ll agree that the wait as been worth it!"

Tizoc

Anyone interested in Mighty No. 9 might be sad to hear this; the game got delayed to next year for unannounced reasons.

There could be a number of reasons for this:
-To link it up with the upcoming animated series
-Link it up to the upcoming live-action film
-Get some funding from the game into Red Ash despite netting a publisher for the title
-Need the time to optimize the game for every platform
-Want to launch the handheld versions (Vita and 3DS) with the console versions (PS4, X1, Wii U, PS3, 360 (I think?), and PC).

It seems that Concept can't catch a break the past month or so.....

I'm not sad that it's been delayed.

maouvin

I wonder which of the games I backed (Amplitude, Shantae and HLDrifter) will come first~

But I'm completely ok with Amplitude being delayed due to getting a higher budget and needing time to use it.

4HrN9p0.jpg

Lol I'm liking the game. I think it was just that OA didn't click. Is the game as story heavy as it seems to be? Not that it's a bad thing, I'm enjoying this quite a bit.

That's good to hear. I actually did a double take, when I got to that part. I hope there are more parts like that in the full game. It just made the game more endearing to me.

RK128

Pathetic.

ANYTHING related to Infunae right now might as well fall under that statement X(.

.....At least his name is tarnished by the community, so they don't fall for his crap again when Mighty.EXE and Mighty Zero is announced.

bobohoro

Well, I think I might have to check that out.

August already, time flies. I really like my PS4, having lots of fun with Rocket League and Samurai Warriors 4. I want to start Bloodborne on Sunday, but probably wont get much done with the weather turning sunny again and having to work in the evening. Oh well, have until the end of August to finish stuff up, since I will only buy Pirate Warriors 3 this month,I think.

And maybe amazon decides to ship Steins;Gate some time.

JJP12

Seems like another great month! I can't wait to see what Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture is about. I'm pretty hyped for Steins;gate as well. I'll probably pick up Madden because I'm one of those people lol. I'm almost done Ar nosurge plus. There's sooo many pointless conversations and whatnot but besides that, its been really enjoyable. The story is pretty great and its given me multiple rides on the feels train already.

And you guys might want to be careful with all the Dungeon Travelers 2 talk. I'm pretty sure that is a banned game here on gaf.

Top Bottom