• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | June 2015

RK128

So guys what are you exceptions for E3 this year from Sony?

Honestly? I don't know how to feel about them :l. I mean, they can go in a number of directions for their conference:
-Be the '3rd Party' conference, highlighting a ton of western and japan tittles on PS4 and PS3, with one or two 'big' first party tittles (likely Uncharted 4 demo and Horizon being showing off)
-Really blow their lid and show off EVERY first party tittle they have in production (Sony Bend, GC, MM, Santa Monica, ect)
-Show off some surprise joint-partner ships (PS4 Monster Hunter? Sony vs. Capcom? Shemune HD? PS4 Sonic loosely based on the upcoming film Sony is producing? Resident Evil 7 a PS4 exclusive?)

What I personally want to happen though is this :).
-Sonic PS4 game is announced (hopefully using the core gameplay from Colors/Generations as its base with the Parkor elements from Lost World being utilized well)
-Persona 5 on-stage gameplay demo + trailer with the theme song and fall 2015 release on PS3 and PS4
-Vita gets some stage time; 5 minutes devoted to 'building the list' which includes ports/localizations of X-Com, Civ 2, Digimon CS, God Eater 2 RB, Bioshock and Disney Infinity 3.0. Also has confirmation that Gravity Rush 2 is also coming to Vita in addition to PS4 and that you can get some unlockable extras for those who own the original (the DLC costumes working with GR2?)
-Sony announces things; Ratchet gets release date, an new Sly Cooper is being worked on, Jak is coming back, new Crash game is coming, Ape Escape 4 being made, Parapa is announced. Basically, I want PS1/PS2 era Sony back here :).
Never going to happen though :(....so I don't expect this at all to happen X(
-KH3 demo or trailer showing off a few of the new worlds

RK128

Fixed.
=3

That too :D! I want to know if the 'expected' worlds are finally coming to KH (Pixar movies like Toy Story, Monsters Inc, Incredibles), so that will be very exciting to me :). Hope classic Disney comes into the mix too (a Great Mouse Detective, Oiver and Company, Sword and the Stone, Pocahontas and others would be awesome in KH :D. If they also include Disney Afternoon characters and IP (Gargoyles, Duck Tails, Tailspin, Darkwing Duck).....I will by a PS4 right after E3 man XD.

Ventara

So, is there gonna be a physical Vita copy of Bloodstained at retail. The FAQ makes it sound so, but I just want to make sure. I definitely want a physical copy of the game, but $65 (which would be $80CDN) is a bit steep for me.

AsfaeksBR

So, is there gonna be a physical Vita copy of Bloodstained at retail. The FAQ makes it sound so, but I just want to make sure. I definitely want a physical copy of the game, but $65 (which would be $80CDN) is a bit steep for me.

I think it is Kickstarter Exclusive or, at least, will be kinda rare to find it on shelves.

Ventara

Just went to pre-order Re;Birth 3 LE and shipping is $20?! So this would equate to about $100 CDN for me. Man, this whole physical collection thing is getting way too expensive for me now that the CDN dollar id in the dumps.

Edit: Oh man, and I still need to preorder Another Episode and Ar Nosurge, then there are those Vita games XSEED has announced. Gonna be an expensive year for a Vita physical collector.

I think it is Kickstarter Exclusive or, at least, will be kinda rare to find it on shelves.

So it is or isn't? I mean, I don't expect to walk in to a Walmart 3 months after release to find it, but I'm hoping there'll be an online retailer that'll provide preorders for it or something.

Tizoc

That too :D! I want to know if the 'expected' worlds are finally coming to KH (Pixar movies like Toy Story, Monsters Inc, Incredibles), so that will be very exciting to me :). Hope classic Disney comes into the mix too (a Great Mouse Detective, Oiver and Company, Sword and the Stone, Pocahontas and others would be awesome in KH :D. If they also include Disney Afternoon characters and IP (Gargoyles, Duck Tails, Tailspin, Darkwing Duck).....I will by a PS4 right after E3 man XD.

We'll get Frozen since Japan loves that movie.
Don't expect TV series' worlds to show up, those have a 0.01% chance of showing up. MAYBE Duck Tales can have a chance since Disney is making a new show for that due for 2017 (get out of Community more often).

In fact it wouldn't surprise me if they just re-use the same worlds from 1 and 2, who doesn't want to revisit the same movie worlds in new HD!

AsfaeksBR

So it is or isn't? I mean, I don't expect to walk in to a Walmart 3 months after release to find it, but I'm hoping there'll be an online retailer that'll provide preorders for it or something.

It actually isn't explained anywhere on the KS page, so it's more of a lucky guess.

If you can get it now, you better do it to make sure you'll get a copy.
If you can't, then you better have faith.

Maybe you'll be able to find a KS copy on eBay after release, but expect to pay even more.

RK128

We'll get Frozen since Japan loves that movie.
Don't expect TV series' worlds to show up, those have a 0.01% chance of showing up. MAYBE Duck Tales can have a chance since Disney is making a new show for that due for 2017 (get out of Community more often).

In fact it wouldn't surprise me if they just re-use the same worlds from 1 and 2, who doesn't want to revisit the same movie worlds in new HD!

Frozen is a shoe-in at this point and that is nice to know that a new Ducktails show is happening :) (heard about that a while back....hope it turns out well). I don't think they will be re-using the same worlds again outside of a very small handful (mainly the new worlds from KH2 like Mulan, Lion King and Pirates); they did that for a lot of the side-tittles, so doing that again seems to be a waste in my opinion :l.

Aladan and Nightmare Before Christmas would look amazing on PS4 though, so who knows honestly :).

Almost certainly, but I would imagine Deep Silver would only print enough Vita (and WiiU) copies to cover the pre-orders.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
People love to die on the sword of Vita.

Anyways, Demon Gaze Sunday is trucking along. Somehow accidentally got the 10th demon before the 9th. I think I'm at the final boss, but I want to see if I can get all of the Skulls and Mushrooms first.

Hikami

So guys what are you exceptions for E3 this year from Sony?
Pretty sure Persona 5 will get shown
<5min of Vita stuff
PS4 price drop
please
Since FFXV won't be there then KH3 might

Don't really care for most of their first party games so not too sure about those but..

Gravity Rush PS4/ GR2 maybe

bobohoro

Operation Abyss is a step up from Demon Gaze, but difficulty comes with the territory, it's harder and less beginner-friendly than Demon Gaze. I'll be finishing my review soon, I'll share with y'all when it's done and posted.

Just to chime in: The game really isn't that difficult. I had more troubles with Demon Gaze in the beginning, for example. It's just less streamlined and user-friendly in terms of UI, item management and dungeon navigation.

So if you're afraid of getting your ass kicked even though you have a few DRPGs under your belt, don't be. It might be a tad bit too obtuse for complete beginners though, but even then it's manageable if you have the patient to read up on mechanics/systems a bit.

autoduelist

Most modern drpgs aren't particularly hard by definition -- even hard bosses are manageable with the right tactics (and possibly an extra level or two). The truly hard drpgs are in the 80s, where traps and dungeon levels were devious beyond belief (and no automap or online giudes) and you could sit there for hours mapping a single level and solving obtuse riddles.

What I'm getting at is that modern games are designed to be beaten. Action games can be hard because they require split second reaction times and coordination... but a drpg requires tactics / strategy / understanding mechanics. If you can grok the mechanics, the game isn't really 'hard' anymore, just challenging, if that makes any sense. Sure, some are harder than others, but it's not like gandalf is standing there saying 'you shall not pass'.

I suppose figuring out the mechanics can be considered 'difficult', but generally, that's a 'one time admission charge'... once you get used to one drpg style game, you'll pretty much speak the language and be able to hop onto another one fairly easy.

CrovaxPSO

Most modern drpgs aren't particularly hard by definition -- even hard bosses are manageable with the right tactics (and possibly an extra level or two). The truly hard drpgs are in the 80s, where traps and dungeon levels were devious beyond belief (and no automap or online giudes) and you could sit there for hours mapping a single level and solving obtuse riddles.

What I'm getting at is that modern games are designed to be beaten. Action games can be hard because they require split second reaction times and coordination... but a drpg requires tactics / strategy / understanding mechanics. If you can grok the mechanics, the game isn't really 'hard' anymore, just challenging, if that makes any sense. Sure, some are harder than others, but it's not like gandalf is standing there saying 'you shall not pass'.

I suppose figuring out the mechanics can be considered 'difficult', but generally, that's a 'one time admission charge'... once you get used to one drpg style game, you'll pretty much speak the language and be able to hop onto another one fairly easy.

You pretty much nailed it. Specifically about Operation Abyss, the series just has some mechanics and design choices that are based on older titles, which can take a little while to get used to. The post-game combat encounters are tough, but since it's a game with stats and skills, the higher level you are and the better your equipment is makes those fights easier and easier the more you get.

Stranger of Sword City has a lot more of the traps and ability restrictions that make it harder in ways stats or gear might not solve so easily.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

Pretty much, a lot of Exp Incs titles in general too are made to be beaten with the "harder" content being the post game bosses. But until then as long as you do not try to rush through the title without proper preparation you should be fine. They put in a lot of features which actually help the players too and make things like leveling faster with how their sped up combat works.

Then again these days not a lot of folks actually have gotten to experience the wonders of graph paper and 3d wiremesh dungeons made up of green lines lol.

Overall with Abyss it seems that people are having more issues with getting stuck with story progression over actual fights. Various sites, twitter posts, gfaqs etc is where Ive seen lots of posts commenting on that. Id say this is more due to the game uses an older design system which is what causes the issues more than more modern titles. It was based off of an early design for them, so the thought process is different from the titles they make now, which take a lot more into consideration modern game design so to speak.

As with any game that someone new to the genre is, will of course have issues but all of that can be overcome just by sticking with it and learning the mechanics. So Id say its not the title is that unfriendly to brand new users to the series. Since if people could make sense of Demon Gaze as their first DRPG new people will be fine with this also.

autoduelist

Stranger of Sword City has a lot more of the traps and ability restrictions that make it harder in ways stats or gear might not solve so easily.

I really, really want this to be localized.

Then again these days not a lot of folks actually have gotten to experience the wonders of graph paper and 3d wiremesh dungeons made up of green lines lol.

I honestly miss those days. In so many ways, simple portraits or ascii monsters and hand mapping dungeons was just so much more immersive than any game today. Sure, there's something to be said for beautiful art in a game... but in getting that we lose whatever triggers pure imagination. It's just another pretty texture, not "The walls drip with what appears to be living slime."

I'm playing far too many games at the same time right now -- I just finished VK3, but also Bard's Tale 1 and Might & Magic Legacy X on PC. And since I wanted more on my plate, I started up SanctuaryRPG on pc too.

And Op Abyss gets here this week.

And I mention that mostly because everyone here should pick up SanctuaryRPG. It's so good. It's really hard to describe; it's a modern game with a purely ascii interface, but the combat and pretty much everything else about it are straight up perfect. The combat mechanics are straight up magnificent, really, and are going to spoil me for other games (you have to combo all your moves, so each swing of the sword (or whatever) opens up new choices for your next move based on your previous combo decisions.

But that's pure ascii, and it's wonderful. Imagination overdrive. (no mapping seems to be required because the world/dungeons aren't traversed in a normal way).

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I honestly miss those days. In so many ways, simple portraits or ascii monsters and hand mapping dungeons was just so much more immersive than any game today. Sure, there's something to be said for beautiful art in a game... but in getting that we lose whatever triggers pure imagination. It's just another pretty texture, not "The walls drip with what appears to be living slime."

I'm playing far too many games at the same time right now -- I just finished VK3, but also Bard's Tale 1 and Might & Magic Legacy X on PC. And since I wanted more on my plate, I started up SanctuaryRPG on pc too.

And Op Abyss gets here this week.

And I mention that mostly because everyone here should pick up SanctuaryRPG. It's so good. It's really hard to describe; it's a modern game with a purely ascii interface, but the combat and pretty much everything else about it are straight up perfect. The combat mechanics are straight up magnificent, really, and are going to spoil me for other games (you have to combo all your moves, so each swing of the sword (or whatever) opens up new choices for your next move based on your previous combo decisions.

But that's pure ascii, and it's wonderful. Imagination overdrive. (no mapping seems to be required because the world/dungeons aren't traversed in a normal way).

Speaking of Bards Tale from how its going so far Id imagine the Bards Tale IV kickstarter will make its goal so will be looking forward to that.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/the-bards-tale-iv
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1055853

The in engine vid looks pretty impressive. Was happy with the work they did with Wasteland 2 so do trust them to make this decent also. They seem to be pretty fair about the tiers too.

I wonder if Wasteland 2 does well enough on the PS4 that they will considering bringing over Bards Tale IV also?

Also if you have a 3DS / DS try finding The Dark Spire, if you already have not picked it up.
http://www.atlus.com/darkspire/

Really wish that Starfish would get back to making drpgs. As the last thing they brought out a remake of their worst title in the Elminage series, they have not done anything new and pretty much skipped the vita altogether. Was hoping that they were going to make at least 1 title for it, but not sure if that is going to happen. Other folks who are keep closer eyes on that particular company told me they are not seeing any movement too in that regard. But they are still producing their other light user titles. (Stuff aimed at kids)

eFKac

Guys I just had visions of a sequel to PlayStation All Stars getting announced.

You heard it here first

Ehh I would even do with a PS4 port, it's a game that I don't need a sequel to, I could play it all generation long, once every bigger party or with a couple of friends.

A new PS4 game would be lovely but it's a lot of money I don't see Sony spending after how the first done.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Man these threads clearly have lost a lot of regulars if I'm showing on the wall of shame
I used to stay in the wall of shame for few months, but now i decided to post less often.

The last one or two months were slow, not many news, I also noticed that compared to the past less news are posted(i used to post some of them too), before every new screen, detail etc was reported here, now it's really rare to see a new screen, so there's less to discuss imo, maybe that's why the number of posts decreased so much.

wilflare

merger into PSNGAF started the slow painful death
moving into Community added a second poison

the death is near
the end is nigh

Sondar

Is IA/VT Colorful definitely getting released at some point, only I'd like to pay a pre-order now whilst I've got the funds. But I don't want to find myself 12 months down the line with no game & trying to get a refund.

Is IA/VT Colorful definitely getting released at some point, only I'd like to pay a pre-order now whilst I've got the funds. But I don't want to find myself 12 months down the line with no game & trying to get a refund.

I'm pretty sure it will, the latest delay seems to be because of P4DAN. I already pre-paid for my copy as well so at least you won't be alone if it doesn't :p

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood

the death is near
the end is nigh

Obviously those things did no favor to the thread, but its fate is all in our hands(lol), again imo this was a slow period but it's really rare to see news and screens reported here, think about it, every time new screens were posted people commented on how good or bad the game look, then some of them asked for the release date, other begged for the localization etc, too much time is passed since the last time this happened.

The thread needs fresh arguments(=news, screens etc) otherwise for many there's no point posting imo.

Regarding Revelations 2, that game is still in the porting process, as all the episodes are released, so all that is left is to port the game to the Vita, print retail copies and hopefully it comes either next month or early July. Sony commented on the Vita port through the PS Blog a month or so back, so it is still coming :).

Resi Revelations 2 is digital-only for the time being.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Here's an example of what i was saying, takao posted the deemo trailer and infos on the deemo thread but not here

English Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1RhZmQELVE

Launches on June 24th in non-Japan Asian markets too:

i'm not blaming you takao, i'm just trying to make others understand what i mean.

If that was was posted also here the thread would have had at least that post + some other posts commenting it, multiply the number of those posts for all the news that don't appear here and you have the post decrease compared to the past

Zhao_Yun

Good to see that Steins;Gate did reasonably well here.
FSN next? :p
My copy just arrived here today. Can't wait to start up the game later :)

I too have noticed a huge decline in posts here, one quick look at the hall of shame will show you that much each month /: Here's hoping that with E3 we can get the ball rolling again, I'd hate for this to become a legacy thread.

Chuy

the death is near
the end is nigh
Oh please we'll just be hovering at legacy status before dying a slow painful death.

I think the line chat is the reason for the death of this thread.
Doubt it line chat is also hovering at legacy status at the moment

I too have noticed a huge decline in posts here, one quick look at the hall of shame will show you that much each month /: Here's hoping that with E3 we can get the ball rolling again, I'd hate for this to become a legacy thread.
I'm willing to bet it's from lack of things to discuss/people being busy. Pretty sure e4 might majorly revive discussion though.

SerTapTap

I really have no idea what direction Sony will take their E3 thing, but I hope it's big and good of course. Wish they wouldn't be so afraid of showing Japanese third party titles (and not just Western Approved&#8482; crap like Capcom/squeenix). My biggest fear is more Destiny, Powers and possibly now COD. Also I'm (probably) going to see it in a theater this year so I ca'nt even zone out if they do.

the death is near
the end is nigh

I haven't been on very often lately and take full credit for any deaths

The thing about this thread is that we stick to discussion, and news are scarce since E3 is near. The thing is once members start losing momentum they won't even come back even when there are news.

SerTapTap

People could always discuss what they're currently playing, not upcoming. But I've mostly been playing Neptunia Victory 2 and aside from the many screens I've been throwing on twitter it doesn't really seem fit for discussion. It won't be in the US for months at least.

And contrary to most 64GB posters, I've been catharticly cleansing my Vita memory card of games I have either beaten or no longer intent to finish. Just under 16GB now. Would be less but I'm keeping some timekiller style games for plane rides and such.

ZeroAKA

The post count have actually been fairly consistent until the major drop in April/May. Clearly, people love me so much that my absence last month caused them to stop posting here. ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

People could always discuss what they're currently playing, not upcoming. But I've mostly been playing Neptunia Victory 2 and aside from the many screens I've been throwing on twitter it doesn't really seem fit for discussion. It won't be in the US for months at least.

And contrary to most 64GB posters, I've been catharticly cleansing my Vita memory card of games I have either beaten or no longer intent to finish. Just under 16GB now. Would be less but I'm keeping some timekiller style games for plane rides and such.
This is a good idea. Another thing that I could suggest is for those with talents to post them here. Stuff related to gaming such as music, video, art, etc. Persona GAF used to do it, with weekly themes and whatnot and it was not only fun to participate but also to see.

As for what I have been playing, I finished The Witcher's campaign (1 day before the frame rate patch lol, talk about bad luck) and loved every single moment of it. Now I am playing Shovel Knight here and there, waiting for Operation Abyss tomorrow!

The post count have actually been fairly consistent until the major drop in April/May. Clearly, people love me so much that my absence last month caused them to stop posting here. ¯_(&#12484;)_/¯
The regulars will always be around, and it just so happens that we are a talkative bunch aha.

Top Bottom