• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | March 2016

ryseing

There is still only one exclusive game, unless you're talking about SNES classics

EDIT: I guess there are small eshop/indie games I didn't know about.. but that's not much of an incentive

HW Legends runs much better, although I've been reasonably satisfied with the performance on OG 3DS.

The PS4k is coming in 2017 which is 4 years after the first PS4. But what you're ignoring is that this isn't a transition to a new gen, both systems will be part of the PS4 platform and supported for years to come. The same OS, services, controllers, everything. Only games which aren't possible on PS4 to begin with would be exclusive to the new one.

I'm just worried we get a situation similar to the transition from 7th->8th gen where games are technically playable but run terribly. See Shadow of Mordor PS3.

RK128

The PS4k is coming in 2017 which is 4 years after the first PS4. But what you're ignoring is that this isn't a transition to a new gen, both systems will be part of the PS4 platform and supported for years to come. The same OS, services, controllers, everything. Only games which aren't possible on PS4 to begin with would be exclusive to the new one.

And what happens to games like the upcoming God of War which will 'push the new hardware' and 'release on the OG PS4 with significant compromises"? How will PS4 owners feel about this then.....angry and bitter I suppose.

Will honestly shut up about this, as it just bring the negativity out of me.

HW Legends runs much better, although I've been reasonably satisfied with the performance on OG 3DS.

So the games runs decently enough on OG 3DS? Was interested in picking it up!

To me it depends a bit on the price. If RRP is 399€, maybe I can find a deal for one for ~350€ and sell my old one for 200€.

I actually won't mind the upgrade that much if the performance is as much improved as the rumors suggest. I think people are overreacting a bit.

For 499€, I will definitely wait.

ryseing

How do you feel about pop-in? Because there's a ton of it. Framerate isn't too hot but my tolerance is higher than most. Can you handle constant low 20s FPS?

To me it depends a bit on the price. If RRP is 399€, maybe I can find a deal for one for ~350€ and sell my old one for 200€.

I actually won't mind the upgrade that much if the performance is as much improved as the rumors suggest. I think people are overreacting a bit.

For 499€, I will definitely wait.

I am stunned that according to the leaker there isn't a trade-in program planned. Would make the pill much easier to swallow if I could trade in my old PS4 and get the new one for $250.

RK128

How do you feel about pop-in? Because there's a ton of it. Framerate isn't too hot but my tolerance is higher than most. Can you handle constant low 20s FPS?

Mmm.....might need to play a demo on the normal 2DS first before picking this up then :l. I was able to play some of the Jak & Daxter games on Vita (and they run bad on it), so maybe I can deal with HW Legends on my 2DS then.

I am stunned that according to the leaker there isn't a trade-in program planned. Would make the pill much easier to swallow if I could trade in my old PS4 and get the new one for $250.

That bothered me too; people are going to want to get this new thing and this is very 'new' for Sony and PlayStation (bi-yearly updates). An upgrade plan is key into making this seem somewhat logical, so they really have to have on in place NOW instead of latter. I guess they just want money and don't care if people can afford it or not :l.

ryseing

Mmm.....might need to play a demo on the normal 2DS first before picking this up then :l. I was able to play some of the Jak & Daxter games on Vita (and they run bad on it), so maybe I can deal with HW Legends on my 2DS then.

That's the thing- there isn't a demo in the States!

Massa

There is still only one exclusive game, unless you're talking about SNES classics

EDIT: I guess there are small eshop/indie games I didn't know about.. but that's not much of an incentive

Games which wouldn't exist on the 3DS if not for the new, more capable model. It doesn't hurt anyone and it's a good thing for console gaming. Because the New 3DS exists Nintendo doesn't have to do a completely new handheld, which means more support and games for owners of the original 3DS, even if there's an exception here and there.

RK128

Games which wouldn't exist on the 3DS if not for the new, more capable model. It doesn't hurt anyone and it's a good thing for console gaming. Because the New 3DS exists Nintendo doesn't have to do a completely new handheld, which means more support and games for owners of the original 3DS, even if there's an exception here and there.

The New 3DS isn't that offensive due to only a handful of games using the stronger hardware (HW Legends Frame Rate boost, Monster Hunter's Higher Frame Rate, 3X Turn Speed in CODE Name Steam) and only one exclusive so far (Xenoblade 3D).

When the PS4K lands, a LOT more games will be using the stronger hardware and that is when the problems will start. The rumor already states that the PS4K IS the target platform now, not just the extra one developers will use. And the upcoming add-on (things Sony is famous for not supporting well enough) will have a number of games the use VR 'better' with this new console compared to OG PS4's.

.....And that is this year, not next year or latter. What happens in 2018 when a VR game launches? Will be garbage on PS4 OG but playable on PS4K? And how will that be fair to the people shelling out 500 bucks for the VR head sets, with them feeling like they have to spend another 500 bucks for this new system. The ironic part is that the price advantage Sony has with VR, will be completely moot with the PS4K; the price of that + PSVR + Camera & Move Controllers will end up equaling what you use to make a high-end computer and one of the stronger VR heads sets.

ryseing

.....And that is this year, not next year or latter. What happens in 2018 when a VR game launches? Will be garbage on PS4 OG but playable on PS4K? And how will that be fair to the people shelling out 500 bucks for the VR head sets, with them feeling like they have to spend another 500 bucks for this new system. The ironic part is that the price advantage Sony has with VR, will be completely moot with the PS4K; the price of that + PSVR + Camera & Move Controllers will end up equaling what you use to make a high-end computer and one of the stronger VR heads sets.

You're underestimating how much VR capable PCs run. $500 PSVR headset bundle and a $500 PS4k is still substantially cheaper than a Rift and a PC that can run Rift games reasonably.

I think that's only because trade-in programs have to be coordinated with stores. I'm not sure how Sony could plan something, that's up to GameStop and others. I'm sure there will be one, there was one for New 3DS as well.

Hey I own a New 3Ds and like it. Just saying that it's really not an essential upgrade.

RK128

You're underestimating how much VR capable PCs run. $500 PSVR headset bundle and a $500 PS4k is still substantially cheaper.

That's not the point though; if the price is getting close to what people pay with on PC's, why not just spend a bit more to get a good PC and a VR kit for that?

I feel like I'm going in circles when talking about PS4K and everything.....so will drop the conversation and leave it be.

People looking forward to it, hope you are happy :D! People like me who are upset with this news, I understand.

Saphirax

The New 3DS isn't that offensive due to only a handful of games using the stronger hardware (HW Legends Frame Rate boost, Monster Hunter's Higher Frame Rate, 3X Turn Speed in CODE Name Steam) and only one exclusive so far (Xenoblade 3D).

When the PS4K lands, a LOT more games will be using the stronger hardware and that is when the problems will start. The rumor already states that the PS4K IS the target platform now, not just the extra one developers will use. And the upcoming add-on (things Sony is famous for not supporting well enough) will have a number of games the use VR 'better' with this new console compared to OG PS4's.

You're jumping to conclusions here. We have no way of knowing how the whole thing will turn out. Because of VR and the NX I'm willing to give Sony the benefit of the doubt. Do have in mind that there are over 30 million PS4 users, Sony isn't just going to drop them like they did with the Vita.

RK128

You're jumping to conclusions here. We have no way of knowing how the whole thing will turn out. Because of VR and the NX I'm willing to give Sony the benefit of the doubt. Do have in mind that there are over 30 million PS4 users, Sony isn't just going to drop them like they did with the Vita.

I won't be holding my breath, as Sony is known to make boneheaded moves in the past.

Massa

And what happens to games like the upcoming God of War which will 'push the new hardware' and 'release on the OG PS4 with significant compromises"? How will PS4 owners feel about this then.....angry and bitter I suppose.

Will honestly shut up about this, as it just bring the negativity out of me.

God of War will run, to use your own words, "decently enough on OG" PS4, why would anyone be angry or bitter? I own a Wii U, should I be angry or bitter that the new Zelda will be better on the NX? Of course not!

Same with VR. There are VR games which push an i5/GTX980 combo to its knees and just can't run on the PS4. If they get ported to PS4k, why would a PS4 owner be angry? That's just petty. Sony makes and sell devices, it's up to developers to choose which platforms they want to limit themselves to.

I'm just worried we get a situation similar to the transition from 7th->8th gen where games are technically playable but run terribly. See Shadow of Mordor PS3.

For every Shadow of Mordor there will be a Far Cry Primal, a game which would've run technically fine on PS3 but didn't come out for it because the platform is too different and not worth the money to support anymore. Practically every PS4/Vita game could've been on PS3 as well, but many were not because that platform is completely dead. If PS4 and PS3 used the same architecture those games could've easily been released on it and we'd have one of the best supported consoles of all time.

I think that's only because trade-in programs have to be coordinated with stores. I'm not sure how Sony could plan something, that's up to GameStop and others. I'm sure there will be one, there was one for New 3DS as well.

Hey I own a New 3Ds and like it. Just saying that it's really not an essential upgrade.

I agree and I don't think PS4k will be an essential device either. In fact I think the PS4 will still sell millions even after that comes out, because it will stay on the market as the entry-level cheaper device. A kid that wants to play CoD and Madden doesn't need to spend an extra $100+ for 4k.

I would of expected a new Vita first honestly instead of a new PS4; they are not making a Vita 2 anytime soon so a higher spec handheld would help JP developers for future games.

The Vita situation is just a huge mess. It's doing well in Japan and a new model would probably work out, but worldwide it would be DOA. I really wonder how long they will keep it on life support just because of Japan. Their focus definitely shifted to the west.

RK128

God of War will run, to use your own words, "decently enough on OG" PS4, why would anyone be angry or bitter? I own a Wii U, should I be angry or bitter that the new Zelda will be better on the NX? Of course not!

Same with VR. There are VR games which push an i5/GTX980 combo to its knees and just can't run on the PS4. If they get ported to PS4k, why would a PS4 owner be angry? That's just petty. Sony makes and sell devices, it's up to developers to choose which platforms they want to limit themselves to.

For every Shadow of Mordor there will be a Far Cry Primal, a game which would've run technically fine on PS3 but didn't come out for it because the platform is too different and not worth the money to support anymore. Practically every PS4/Vita game could've been on PS3 as well, but many were not because that platform is completely dead. If PS4 and PS3 used the same architecture those games could've easily been released on it and we'd have one of the best supported consoles of all time.

Ugh.......you might be right.

We just have to see how this all plays out at E3. If they fuck up, well, will have strong thoughts to share. If they do a great job with this new thing, will be willing to give Sony a chance to win me over.

The Vita situation is just a huge mess. It's doing well in Japan and a new model would probably work out, but worldwide it would be DOA. I really wonder how long they will keep it on life support just because of Japan. Their focus definitely shifted to the west.

I picture the Vita having its last western release come out in 2018-2019 honestly; long enough time frame for handhelds (5+ years) and very impressive support from JP developers.

Sony is dumb, as they make this handheld and they don't want to support it despite the money being there. How they did the Vita, has me very warry about PS VR; Sony could just drop it like nothing like they did with Move and WonderBook in the past.

I agree and I don't think PS4k will be an essential device either. In fact I think the PS4 will still sell millions even after that comes out, because it will stay on the market as the entry-level cheaper device. A kid that wants to play CoD and Madden doesn't need to spend an extra $100+ for 4k.

Yeah this is probably the plan and I don't see anything wrong with it for now. Sure they could fuck it up, but we'll see.
I am willing to spend 150€ for cleaner IQ and higher FPS, for sure. Not much different from a PC graphics card upgrade. But it needs to be actually widely supported, unlike new 3DS.

RK128

*Breaths in, and out*

Okay, to shift gears a bit, how does people feel about the PlayStation Plus line up for next month?

A Virus Named Tom, PS Vita
Dead Star, PS4
I Am Alive, PS3
Savage Moon, PS3
Shutshimi, PS Vita
Zombi, PS4

PS4 users get a retail game with Zombi (and that is a great game based on impressions) and the Vita is getting two interesting indie games.

I enjoyed I Am Alive and it was impressive Ubisoft salvaged this project as a digital release! Thought this was going to be canned for good but nope, it ended up landing on PSN.

Looking forward to the Vita and PS3 games honestly :). Should be nice to play in-between the Ratchet Collection and other PS1/PSP games :D.

*Breaths in, and out*

Okay, to shift gears a bit, how does people feel about the PlayStation Plus line up for next month?

PS4 users get a retail game with Zombi (and that is a great game based on impressions) and the Vita is getting two interesting indie games.

Looking forward to the Vita and PS3 games honestly :). Should be nice to play in-between the Ratchet Collection and other PS1/PSP games :D.

I probably won't play a single one of the PS+ titles. Maybe I'll try Zombi. But I don't mind, I have more than enough games that came out in March/April

slash3584

So something weird has just happened.

I received an email from EA thanking me for buying Fifa 16. At first I was like hey cool even I bought it for PC like 4 months ago.

And then I remembered the whole fifa psn hack stuff. So I quickly enter my psn account, and check my purchase history but it shows nothing has been bought in the last month. Weirdly if I go to the fifa 16 store page it gives me the option both to buy it and to download it to my ps4. I'm sure I clicked the full game not the demo BTW.

Has anyone experienced something similar?

RK128

I probably won't play a single one of the PS+ titles. Maybe I'll try Zombi. But I don't mind, I have more than enough games that came out in March/April

My backlog is quite large, so I will be set until June honestly games wise XD!

But the Plus games look interesting enough to try out :).

Dead Star (PS4) - Played the beta and I did not like it.

Zombi (PS4) - Interested. Kinda feel like I should get a Wii U to play it right tho.

I Am Alive (PS3) - This has been $1 many times. It was interesting but too damn hard. Maybe people will like it now because it is very rougelike before rougelikes were popular.

Savage Moon (PS3) - Tower Defense? I got enough on my phone.

A Virus Named Tom (PS Vita) - Hard to get excited about another indie puzzle game but I'll give it a shot.

Shutshimi (PS Vita) - I did not like this game but I know some people here did.

There have been better months.

RK128

Dead Star (PS4) - Played the beta and I did not like it.

Zombi (PS4) - Interested. Kinda feel like I should get a Wii U to play it right tho.

I Am Alive (PS3) - This has been $1 many times. It was interesting but too damn hard. Maybe people will like it now because it is very rougelike before rougelikes were popular.

Savage Moon (PS3) - Tower Defense? I got enough on my phone.

A Virus Named Tom (PS Vita) - Hard to get excited about another indie puzzle game but I'll give it a shot.

Shutshimi (PS Vita) - I did not like this game but I know some people here did.

There have been better months.

Thank you for sharing your impressions!

Yah, some months have been better but April's Plus games look interesting enough :).

Takao

Banned
My PS Plus sub ended last month. I'm still not regretting it.

The Wii U -> NX situation is VERY similar to the PS4 -> PS4K one. I'd even say worse, since they will drop Wii U support (pretty much already did), while PS4 will continue to be supported.

We don't even know if NX will be backwards compatible.

One is a failed platform that has seen releases in pretty much every expected first party franchise bar Metroid. The other is the most successful console platform currently on the market with limited first party content. Identical situations.

You're being quite naive if you think Sony will continue to design games primarily around the original PS4. They have next to no incentive to do that. They'll optimize to that hardware as well as their Vita ports do.

RK128

My PS Plus sub ended last month. I'm still not regretting it.

One is a failed platform that has seen releases in pretty much every expected first party franchise bar Metroid. The other is the most successful console platform currently on the market with limited first party content. Identical situations.

You're being quite naive if you think Sony will continue to design games primarily around the original PS4. They have next to no incentive to do that. They'll optimize to that hardware as well as their Vita ports do.

The rumor already states that God of War 4 and GT Sport are being made in mind with the PS4K (same with Capcom's Deep Down, so third parties will do this too).....so we will be seeing it day-one when it launches :(.

So, I am agreeing with your comment; not expecting good performance for future PS4 games down the line :(.

ryseing

*Breaths in, and out*

A Virus Named Tom, PS Vita
Dead Star, PS4
I Am Alive, PS3
Savage Moon, PS3
Shutshimi, PS Vita
Zombi, PS4

I enjoyed I Am Alive and it was impressive Ubisoft salvaged this project as a digital release! Thought this was going to be canned for good but nope, it ended up landing on PSN.

Dead Star beta was good. Incredibly pleased it will be free. Don't do horror and hated I am Alive. One game I should play a decent chunk of is a good month.

autoduelist

That isn't being ignored. Iterative consoles is in direct opposition to everything consoles 'used' to stand for. It's problematic for many, many reasons. And while certainly some will not mind -- obviously, early adopters will happily gobble up new tech -- there are clearly many who absolutely hate the concept of iterative consoles.

Consider me among them. I buy consoles so I don't need to think about 'performance', etc. I can go buy a ps4 game and know I'm getting 'cutting edge' even 4 years after the PS4s release, even knowing PCs might be more powerful [I don't care about PCs so they're irrelevant to the conversation].

This very well may push me out of the console world entirely. It certainly pushed me out of the ipad world when the ipad my wife and I bought [first gen, new, but late in its life] became effectively obsolete within a year.

Most people don't even buy into a console gen until 3-5 years in. Putting out a new system during that period is daring, to say the least. Those people buying in late are buying because they -want- to have the latest gear, but waited for some pricedrop and/or for the software library to catch up. By putting out new gear, those people are now put in the position of buying 'semi-last gen'... which is essentially a new phenomena in the console industry.

When I bought my PS4, it was for the long haul. I preordered it. It was supposed to last me until the PS5, and that was hopefully in the 7-10 year range. Being put in the position where there's a PS4.5 out sooner than later pushes me away from consoles entirely. I realize some don't understand that -- namely, those who like to early adopt and/or chase tech. I don't like doing that. I do like knowing the new PS4 game on the shelf is tailor made for my device.

I think iterative consoles is a mistake. It's great for some, certainly -- but those that buy consoles in the first year [early adopters who want cutting edge tech] are actually the massive minority of console buyers over a gens lifetime. The vast majority have shown they don't necessarily want 'cutting edge' tech, they want mature tech at a reasonable price. The switch to iterative consoles potentially undermines that for obvious reasons [obvious to those who aren't chasing tech, at least].

We'll know more soon. But if it's certain they'll be getting exclusive games, and it's certain many games will 'run better', it's effectively the PS5 under a slightly different name/paradigm, and it pushes me away just as much as if it was the PS5... because I didn't buy a 4 year machine, and I have -zero- interest in spending money on another '4 year machine'. I want my consoles to last, because that's how I justify my investment in them. I won't be getting a PS4.5 anytime soon, and if games I want start coming out that are exclusive to it I won't feel pressured to 'buy a PS4.5', I'll feel pressured to say 'Fuck it, I'm out'. It's in opposition to the very reason I buy consoles in the first place.

RK128

That isn't being ignored. Iterative consoles is in direct opposition to everything consoles 'used' to stand for. It's problematic for many, many reasons. And while certainly some will not mind -- obviously, early adopters will happily gobble up new tech -- there are clearly many who absolutely hate the concept of iterative consoles.

Consider me among them. I buy consoles so I don't need to think about 'performance', etc. I can go buy a ps4 game and know I'm getting 'cutting edge' even 4 years after the PS4s release, even knowing PCs might be more powerful [I don't care about PCs so they're irrelevant to the conversation].

This very well may push me out of the console world entirely. It certainly pushed me out of the ipad world when the ipad my wife and I bought [first gen, new, but late in its life] became effectively obsolete within a year.

Most people don't even buy into a console gen until 3-5 years in. Putting out a new system during that period is daring, to say the least. Those people buying in late are buying because they -want- to have the latest gear, but waited for some pricedrop and/or for the software library to catch up. By putting out new gear, those people are now put in the position of buying 'semi-last gen'... which is essentially a new phenomena in the console industry.

When I bought my PS4, it was for the long haul. I preordered it. It was supposed to last me until the PS5, and that was hopefully in the 7-10 year range. Being put in the position where there's a PS4.5 out sooner than later pushes me away from consoles entirely. I realize some don't understand that -- namely, those who like to early adopt and/or chase tech. I don't like doing that. I do like knowing the new PS4 game on the shelf is tailor made for my device.

I think iterative consoles is a mistake. It's great for some, certainly -- but those that buy consoles in the first year [early adopters who want cutting edge tech] are actually the massive minority of console buyers over a gens lifetime. The vast majority have shown they don't necessarily want 'cutting edge' tech, they want mature tech at a reasonable price. The switch to iterative consoles potentially undermines that for obvious reasons [obvious to those who aren't chasing tech, at least].

We'll know more soon. But if it's certain they'll be getting exclusive games, and it's certain many games will 'run better', it's effectively the PS5 under a slightly different name/paradigm, and it pushes me away just as much as if it was the PS5... because I didn't buy a 4 year machine, and I have -zero- interest in spending money on another '4 year machine'. I want my consoles to last, because that's how I justify my investment in them. I won't be getting a PS4.5 anytime soon, and if games I want start coming out that are exclusive to it I won't feel pressured to 'buy a PS4.5', I'll feel pressured to say 'Fuck it, I'm out'. It's in opposition to the very reason I buy consoles in the first place.

Your post is what I've been trying to say on Gaf for the past two week but couldn't put the words together....you hit every nail on the head.

The bolded is my case, as I don't own a PS4 yet and was hoping to get one at a lower price this June. Now, with this new thing that will be out-classed within a year or two (even less time for VR support)....I feel like what you said; "Fuck it, I'm out".

Its a wait-and-see deal for me now. If the PS4K has exclusives and games start running like crap on the OG PS4, then I'm out of PlayStation and will just the NX handheld.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
ok, should I buy bloodborne for 27 bucks?
it is on sale..
fact is: I don't have much spare time to dedicate to a frustrating game but I love its atmosphere

Kyrios

ok, should I buy bloodborne for 27 bucks?
it is on sale..
fact is: I don't have much spare time to dedicate to a frustrating game but I love its atmosphere

As someone who plays to relax, I still really enjoyed the game. I think if you're really into the setting and everything, you should be good to go. I personally didn't find it as hard as some people said it was. And I never even played the Souls games.

RK128

Hello everyone :D!

I just wanted to say that starting today, going to take a break from posting in threads on NeoGaf for a while, at least until PS4K rumors die down. I get to negitive and it sours what could be valuable discussions.

So, not going to be posting in threads for the next few weeks. I said in the past that I would do this and never acted on it, so if you don't by my comment now, I completely understand.

But I intend on keeping my word on this one; honestly need a break from that stupid rumor.

This will not affect my Sonic Retrospective, as I still plan on making threads covering the SEGA All Stars Series, Sonic 4, Sonic Lost World, Boom and Generations. But I'm not going to be posting comments in any of those thread; just make the OP and update it if people want that.

I want to focus more on college work, play more games and just.....stop seeing this rumor all over the place.

Hope everyone has a great April and see you in a few weeks :).

Massa

I think that's a fallacy. The console isn't cutting edge tech for the duration of a gen, nor are most games designed specifically for them. Late in the PS3 life, games like Saints Row 4, Skyrim and Sleeping Dogs and many others ran and looked so bad that I felt "pressured" into buying a "PS3.5", that option just didn't exist. A lot of people moved to PC then.

The shorter PS2->3 transition was actually much more smooth. For the first 3 years, the PS2 outsold the PS3. People didn't want cutting edge tech, the latest Playstation, they wanted games at a good price. Sony can offer them that better than ever with PS4 and PS4+, both out at the same time, at different prices. Except there won't be a market split anymore. Developers won't have to split their efforts. People can still play with their friends whether they upgraded or not, and they won't have to buy additional controllers all over again. It will be a smoother transition for everyone, benefiting everyone in the industry.

When new games eventually do have to cut off the PS4 to push new things, it won't be all games. And it's quite likely that a PS4+2 will be out by then, making this '2017 PS4' a very cheap upgrade path. You can still quite comfortably upgrade only once every 5+ years... hell, people who only play games like Rocket League, FIFA and CoD, may not have to upgrade for 10 years.

As for the iPad, I'm still on the iPad 2. I know some games may run poorly on it or not at all, but I also realize that doesn't affect me in anyway. At least that's how I feel about it.

autoduelist

I think that's a fallacy. The console isn't cutting edge tech for the duration of a gen, nor are most games designed specifically for them. Late in the PS3 life, games like Saints Row 4, Skyrim and Sleeping Dogs and many others ran and looked so bad that I felt "pressured" into buying a "PS3.5", that option just didn't exist. A lot of people moved to PC then.
SNIP

But see, you're missing the point. Of COURSE it's not 'cutting edge'. I know that. I know the PS4 wasn't cutting edge on release! It's a $400 computer. Clearly, you could buy a better rig if you wanted. I've had computers in my house before they were really 'computers' [think, several line led 'screens', almost like calculators], Apple II+, Apple IIe, IIgs, and I built my own pcs as a kid back when Windows wasn't even a pipe dream. I've chased tech, I've done all that. And now, like most console owners, i just want to buy a console and be done with it. Stick the latest disc in, hit play.

The mistake you're making, however, is thinking people care about 'cutting edge' technology in the way you mean it. To 99% of the population, the current, cutting edge console is 'PS4' [and XB1]. It doesn't matter that it's multi-year old hardware, and that's the mistake too many people deep into tech [and/or gaming] make. People don't f'ing care. They want the -latest- console [but years after release at a steep discount]. They want to play the games advertised on TV [Uncharted, CoD, AC, Madden, etc] and on the main shelves at Target, Best Buy, etc.

And when they drop their $300-400 on a new console, they want it to feel 'new' and 'cutting edge' for a very long time. That is an absolute shitload of money for most families to spend on a device that only plays games.

Sure, single people [often] in their 20s [or wealthy people of any age] want tech to be 'the absolute best' because they have disposable income. That is NOT the majority of people. The lion share of the console user base gives not one fuck that the internal tech is years old, but they do care that they can play great versions of the games on tv.

The very fact that you cared how PS3 games performed means you're in the overall minority. Most people not deeply vested into gaming just accept how a game runs as 'how a game runs'. Heck, I game all the time and have plat'd Sleeping Dogs and Saint's Row 2-4. They ran bad? I never noticed. Not once. Didn't care, because they were fun.

But if there's a family out there waiting for the PS4 to go on sale for, say, $250 on Black Friday, and they're willing to wait 4 years for that.... they still want the PS4 to be 'the latest console'. The PS4.5 risks alienating the console base. And of course some people, like you, will think it's a good idea. Those with disposable income, or those that care deeply about performance, or those that just generally like new tech / early adoption will eat it up. No doubt. But those people are a tiny minority of the overall console base.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
As someone who plays to relax, I still really enjoyed the game. I think if you're really into the setting and everything, you should be good to go. I personally didn't find it as hard as some people said it was. And I never even played the Souls games.

Thank you. The sale ends next week so I will think about it a couple of days more and decide during the weekend :)

Massa

But see, you're missing the point. Of COURSE it's not 'cutting edge'. I know that. I know the PS4 wasn't cutting edge on release! It's a $400 computer. Clearly, you could buy a better rig if you wanted. I've had computers in my house before they were really 'computers' [think, several line led 'screens', almost like calculators], Apple II+, Apple IIe, IIgs, and I built my own pcs as a kid back when Windows wasn't even a pipe dream. I've chased tech, I've done all that. And now, like most console owners, i just want to buy a console and be done with it. Stick the latest disc in, hit play.

The mistake you're making, however, is thinking people care about 'cutting edge' technology in the way you mean it. To 99% of the population, the current, cutting edge console is 'PS4' [and XB1]. It doesn't matter that it's multi-year old hardware, and that's the mistake too many people deep into tech [and/or gaming] make. People don't f'ing care. They want the -latest- console [but years after release at a steep discount]. They want to play the games advertised on TV [Uncharted, CoD, AC, Madden, etc] and on the main shelves at Target, Best Buy, etc.

And when they drop their $300-400 on a new console, they want it to feel 'new' and 'cutting edge' for a very long time. That is an absolute shitload of money for most families to spend on a device that only plays games.

Sure, single people [often] in their 20s [or wealthy people of any age] want tech to be 'the absolute best' because they have disposable income. That is NOT the majority of people. The lion share of the console user base gives not one fuck that the internal tech is years old, but they do care that they can play great versions of the games on tv.

The very fact that you cared how PS3 games performed means you're in the overall minority. Most people not deeply vested into gaming just accept how a game runs as 'how a game runs'. Heck, I game all the time and have plat'd Sleeping Dogs and Saint's Row 2-4. They ran bad? I never noticed. Not once. Didn't care, because they were fun.

But if there's a family out there waiting for the PS4 to go on sale for, say, $250 on Black Friday, and they're willing to wait 4 years for that.... they still want the PS4 to be 'the latest console'. The PS4.5 risks alienating the console base. And of course some people, like you, will think it's a good idea. Those with disposable income, or those that care deeply about performance, or those that just generally like new tech / early adoption will eat it up. No doubt. But those people are a tiny minority of the overall console base.

You're telling me that the majority of the market doesn't care about performance, but will care about a PS4 existing that has better performance than the cheaper one... and care enough to completely drop out of gaming altogether?

I don't see it. The market you're talking about will walk into a games store and see PS4 games. And they'll see two PS4 models, one that's cheap and one that says "supports 4k" or whatever. They'll just buy a regular PS4 and happily go home to play it.

If they saw a PS4 and a PS5? Sure, I could see people not wanting a regular PS4 then. But that's not the case, and clearly won't be marketed as such.

Top Bottom