• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | March 2016

As a footnote, I'd like to say that I think I'Il probably opt out of contemporary gaming the moment dedicated consoles take the "PCs in disguise," upgradable bullcrap route. And I think a lot of people would be with me. I'm capable of building and upgrading a PC, I just don't want to do it. What percentage of the current console market do you think is capable of maintaining a PC adequately? And how many handhelds or consoles are purchased as gifts for people or kids with the knowledge that it's something you can get and give and it'll be good for a few years, at least?

I don't think that's really anything we need to worry about. Historically, capability-improving addons for consoles have been failures. Developers don't want to risk developing for a possibly small subset of the userbase, and the userbase doesn't want to invest in some addon that has no games. There are a few exceptions and I think (and hope) that VR will be one of them, but I sincerely doubt there's any risk of eventually needing to go out and buy ram packs and video card upgrades for your consoles.

You lost to Kresnik258, sorry.

Well, if that isn't a sign that I need to do other things in work than sit on GAF, then I don't know what is :p

OT: Digimon came today. Also Hotline Miami Japanese version (which hopefully should be in English). No idea how I'll get my save across.

Also, AC Chronicles looks alright to me. I mean downgraded, but fine. I had no idea it was on Unreal, if I'd have known that earlier I'd have had even lower expectations.

Massa

I don't think that's really anything we need to worry about. Historically, capability-improving addons for consoles have been failures. Developers don't want to risk developing for a possibly small subset of the userbase, and the userbase doesn't want to invest in some addon that has no games. There are a few exceptions and I think (and hope) that VR will be one of them, but I sincerely doubt there's any risk of eventually needing to go out and buy ram packs and video card upgrades for your consoles.

I don't think the idea here is to do add-ons.
I'm not a big fan of the historic argument people apply to games as manufacturing and electronics ownership changed so much in the last decade, but still... historically, the PS2 kept selling very well even after the PS3 came out. Now imagine the PS2 and PS3 were built on the same architecture... developers could have supported both simultaneously much more easily. The same disc works on either console. More casual consumers would keep the older system and dedicated people could jump on the new stuff. The platform holder doesn't care, they get the same cut either way when you buy a game.

Microsoft is in a position where they can not only seamlessly transition between hardware gaps like that, they can bring the PC into the fold as well. So a dev would send a game for certification on two console generations (Xbox One and, say, One+) and that game would automatically work on any PC via their Windows store. If they can get that running it would be a huge boom to their gaming business.

Microsoft is currently losing big to both PS4 and Steam, if they want to turn things around just doing the same stuff over and over will not work. It'd be nice to see them risk a new idea.

Sabas

Banned
About 40 hours into Cyber Sleuth, and I think I'll platinum it. QA/localization issues aside, it's been really fun.

Christian

Wasn't it being held up because they were waiting to be licensed by Sony? I haven't been following this too closely, I have practically no vested interest. If I have to import them, I will, it'll just take me longer to play through them because I'll have to look up stuff as I go. But doesn't this just seem like another excuse with no results in a long string of excuses?

Powwa

Subscribed!

I've checked the AC footage, It looks rough but having a small screen and OLED will help. Doesn't bleed my eyes like AoT, lol.

Kudo

Alienation and Nights of Azure for me this month. DOAX3 depending whether I can get PS4 Limited edition for proper price.
Aaand I missed the Limited Edition for Nights... Well damn, can only blame myself.

Names, it's gonna eat you up, just like Destiny did!

Yeah I don't know. As much crap as I gave (and give) to the game, it took me well over 300hrs to get fed up of it, and with that it made me a more conservative player, investing less time into games and getting out more with friends and loved ones. I have a great balance going now that works in terms of social, school and work life. I'll be honest and say that I'm afraid of what The Division might do. I think Destiny made me enjoy life more. Those were some dark days of me spending hours upon hours doing the same banal missions for a piece of digital cloth. Not sure if I ever want to go down that rabbit hole again. Again I go back to FE Fates and why I am absolutely LOVING the heck out of it, is because it doesn't feel like a commitment. I can put as much time/effort into it as I feel like during any given day.

Does anyone know how many portable devices you can have on one PSN account? And does a PSTV count towards that limit?

Cheers.

Christian

So, three of the four games I ordered from Play-Asia arrived, including Digimon. Still no memory card from SuperUFO, though. All I wanna do is play Adventure of Mana, but noooooooooooo.... I knew I shouldn't have given my 4GB card to my friend. I got him a PSTV for his birthday, and he still hasn't even opened it. Crapinski.

I think it's three and yes.

3 devices and yes it does

Thanks. I could've sworn I heard 3 before, but then I was checking this page:

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/g...ivation-deactivation/about-device-activation/

And it said 2, so now I'm a bit confused since you guys backed up what I believed prior to reading that.

May have to do some testing; want to buy a second handheld and connect it to my current account which already has a PSP + PSV + PSTV on it (and I haven't had any problems now I think about it, but I'm intending to deactivate the PSP).

pariah164

This popped into my inbox just now:

Your Sony Playstation Network (“PSN”) Claim Form related to the Sony Gaming Networks and Customer Data Security Breach Litigation Settlement has been processed.
So, I have three months of PS Plus. What do I do with it?

Whoa, the Croixleur Sigma port for Vita is pretty damned good. There is some aliasing and it runs at a lower resolution, but it feels like a rock solid 30fps (60fps on PS4). It retains the fantastic cel filter from the PS4 version. You can download your PS4 data if you uploaded it through the options menu in that version. You have to sync your data before you start the game though, because network functions are disabled during gameplay (pulling some additional power from the Vita?).

Anyway, CS is a fun distraction on the PS4 when I wait for something to download, but its pick up and play nature is fantastic for Vita. If you like arena brawlers, this is a must buy. Really impressed by this one. Bravo, Playism souvenir circ. This is how you port something to the Vita!

Shizuka

Whoa, the Croixleur Sigma port for Vita is pretty damned good. There is some aliasing and it runs at a lower resolution, but it feels like a rock solid 30fps (60fps on PS4). It retains the fantastic cel filter from the PS4 version. You can download your PS4 data if you uploaded it through the options menu in that version. You have to sync your data before you start the game though, because network functions are disabled during gameplay (pulling some additional power from the Vita?).

Anyway, CS is a fun distraction on the PS4 when I wait for something to download, but its pick up and play nature is fantastic for Vita. If you like arena brawlers, this is a must buy. Really impressed by this one. Bravo, Playism. This is how you port something to the Vita!

Playism is just the publisher, it was the original developer that handled the Vita port.

Thanks. I could've sworn I heard 3 before, but then I was checking this page:

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/g...ivation-deactivation/about-device-activation/

And it said 2, so now I'm a bit confused since you guys backed up what I believed prior to reading that.

May have to do some testing; want to buy a second handheld and connect it to my current account which already has a PSP + PSV + PSTV on it (and I haven't had any problems now I think about it, but I'm intending to deactivate the PSP).

Three is correct, that page wasn't updated when the PSTV was released.

Three is correct, that page wasn't updated when the PSTV was released.

But... it says PSTV on it, they must've updated it somewhat :p

Still, as long as it's 3 then that's good news for me. Means I can run the two handhelds/1 PSTV setup that I'm looking for.

Thanks for the help everyone!

I don't think the idea here is to do add-ons.
I'm not a big fan of the historic argument people apply to games as manufacturing and electronics ownership changed so much in the last decade, but still... historically, the PS2 kept selling very well even after the PS3 came out. Now imagine the PS2 and PS3 were built on the same architecture... developers could have supported both simultaneously much more easily. The same disc works on either console. More casual consumers would keep the older system and dedicated people could jump on the new stuff. The platform holder doesn't care, they get the same cut either way when you buy a game.

Microsoft is in a position where they can not only seamlessly transition between hardware gaps like that, they can bring the PC into the fold as well. So a dev would send a game for certification on two console generations (Xbox One and, say, One+) and that game would automatically work on any PC via their Windows store. If they can get that running it would be a huge boom to their gaming business.

Microsoft is currently losing big to both PS4 and Steam, if they want to turn things around just doing the same stuff over and over will not work. It'd be nice to see them risk a new idea.

I mean, I agree that that's more likely than add-on upgrades, but I still don't think it's particularly likely, nor do I think it's what Christian was talking about, since that's nothing like maintaining or upgrading a custom-built PC. At the very least, companies can't plan for it, since how can they guarantee at the time they're finishing designing the PS(#) that five years down the road with the PS(#+1) they'll still be using the same game storage medium?

Happy Ratchet & Clank has more breathing room honestly. Really feel that the game might not do very well (even though it has a movie linked to it), so it having a month to itself exclusive-wise is really welcoming news :D.

Of course, every publisher must be sighing in relief this April. But I think it will. They priced it strategically knowing that the brand isn't as relevant as it was before. As sad as this may sound, most gamers look at Ratchet as a fond memory and not as something new and exciting. I think the movie and price combo will help alleviate that, plus it'll get the newer generation of gamers interested. Also some parents may have played the games back in the day and get their kids on board.

RK128

Of course, every publisher must be sighing in relief this April. But I think it will. They priced it strategically knowing that the brand isn't as relevant as it was before. As sad as this may sound, most gamers look at Ratchet as a fond memory and not as something new and exciting. I think the movie and price combo will help alleviate that, plus it'll get the newer generation of gamers interested. Also some parents may have played the games back in the day and get their kids on board.

I agree, its a iconic PlayStation IP and with the movie coming out alongside the lower price point, it has a good shot at doing quite well :).

I know I'm getting the game with my PS4 this June and will be seeing the movie in theaters opening day :D! Love the IP and enjoyed the entire series quite a bit.

VLiberty

Happy Ratchet & Clank has more breathing room honestly. Really feel that the game might not do very well (even though it has a movie linked to it), so it having a month to itself exclusive-wise is really welcoming news :D.
Yep.

Uncharted gtfo. This is great news although a full month would've been better

It will still bomb like a charm though :(

Hypron

I'm getting the JP version of DaS3 later this month, but until then... I'm probably not gonna play anything on the console.

Thinking of buying Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee & Resi 1-3 bundle from the sale this week. I also noticed Monsters Inc: Scare Island is £1.70 and I remember enjoying it on PS1, so maybe that too :p

Christian

Am I the only one that is significantly more excited for R&C than UC4? I've played all the Uncharted, but besides Golden Abyss, I never buy them at launch. They're aight.

UC4 on my birthday this year, so maybe I will get it first day.

RK128

Am I the only one that is significantly more excited for R&C than UC4? I've played all the Uncharted, but besides Golden Abyss, I never buy them at launch. They're aight.

You're not the only one :D! I love Ratchet since I was young (loved the PS2 games) and I enjoyed the series a lot with the latter games on PS3.

The visuals look amazing, the worlds look far more expanded compared to the original and most importantly, the plays great (from demo I played at my local GameStop). Very excited for it and will be getting my PS4 this June alongside Ratchet :D.

I have loved R&C more in the past than Uncharted but after playing 6 R&C games I got burnt out. I pre-ordered the new one. I feel much like Mario Kart after a break I can be excited about a new game. I am not expecting anything that new but there aren't many games like R&C these days so I think I will like it.

Uncharted 2 was amazing but Uncharted 3 was kind of meh because the story was kind of lame. I think this new one has a lot of promise and I am excited for it.

Can't wait for those too buddy :D! You hyped me up on them with how excited you got over the games last year, so I can't wait to see how fun they are when they come out in NA/EU :).

Makes me all teary eyed and stuff seeing this finally coming over :'). I'm in charge of both OTs for the games, I'm super excited for the amount of info that they teased in this video. Seems like I'll be able to make a beefy informative first post.

RK128

Makes me all teary eyed and stuff seeing this finally coming over :'). I'm in charge of both OTs for the games, I'm super excited for the amount of info that they teased in this video. Seems like I'll be able to make a beefy informative first post.

Lets hope they keep it up! It would be great to see the series become big in the west with a successful launch of both games :D.

VLiberty

Uncharted 4 will be a 10€ purchase for me since I still have Golden Abyss and 3 baclogged and I'm not that big of a fan of the first two games either.

R&C is one of my favourite series on the other hand and I can't wait for this one.

Christian

I want to look forward to their releases, but I fully expect to be hit with import costs when it comes to getting a physical copy for Vita. It seems clear at this point that Bamco has given up on US physical runs for Vita games.

Wait, I thought they confirmed physical on Vita in NA. Am I mistaken??

Top Bottom