• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | November 2015

autoduelist

It's not a problem, the screen can stay, i just find really weird that someone like me whose mother language isn't the English knows the meaning of that word while most of the rest of the gaming world not, or just want to see a very specific meaning of it, i was expecting someone to point the meaning of the word, but no one did. No one knew the meaning of the word, i mean really? I can only think that some just wanted to jump on the joke/hate train.

I think people just think it's funny. It's a clear case where the word has multiple meanings and anyone who speaks English as their primary language would know to word shift to something different. Just like we might differentiate between, say, 'internal' and 'inside' based on context.

'Ejaculate' also has more than one meaning, yet you'll never find it being used as 'exclaim' unless you're reading an older novel. Some meanings are simply archaic. It's also obvious that the word 'penetrate' is meant to substitute the word 'dungeon' in SAO. So, yes it is an error unless you're telling me that "We've been doing a lot of entering (penetrations)" would be an accurate translation.

Actually, I think the use of 'penetrations' is grammatically fine there.
Have you been exploring any caves lately?
-Yes, we've been doing a lot of explorations.
-Yes, we had a successful exploration.

Have you penetrated any dungeons recently?
-Yes, we've been doing a lot of penetrations.
-Yes, we had a successful penetration.
etc.

However, any native speaker would chuckle silently and chose another word for obvious reasons. Long story short, in my opinion the translation isn't as bad as some make it out to be, but it's still funny as hell which is why the internet lulz about it.

For the same reason, if asked:
"Did you use that power drill I gave you as a present yet?"
"Yep! I screwed all day long!" would get laughs.

Chuy

5 gigs is the amount you need to download in order to be able to start the game, the rest will download in the background.
Weird. Only downloaded 5gb the first time I downloaded it whenever the glitch price happened but it's 22gb now.

So dumb question (as I just got a ps4 for christmas due to the blackfriday 299 deal) and im not near the system: I got a 20% off code in the box for the store and i was wondering if anyone knows if i can use it to get a year of PS +?
If it's like the 10% off one I'd assume no

Saphirax

I think people just think it's funny. It's a clear case where the word has multiple meanings and anyone who speaks English as their primary language would know to word shift to something different. Just like we might differentiate between, say, 'internal' and 'inside' based on context.

Actually, I think the use of 'penetrations' is grammatically fine there.
Have you been exploring any caves lately?
-Yes, we've been doing a lot of explorations.
-Yes, we had a successful exploration.

Have you penetrated any dungeons recently?
-Yes, we've been doing a lot of penetrations.
-Yes, we had a successful penetration.
etc.

However, any native speaker would chuckle silently and chose another word for obvious reasons. Long story short, in my opinion the translation isn't as bad as some make it out to be, but it's still funny as hell which is why the internet lulz about it.

For the same reason, if asked:
"Did you use that power drill I gave you as a present yet?"
"Yep! I screwed all day long!" would get laughs.

'Exploration' still sounds stilted though. However, I'm not sure what the actual Japanese word is. For me it was always 'dungeons' rather than exploration. But, like you said we use and don't use certain words based on context (and some are just archaic :p).

18-Volt

Babel...NISA pls. I can never get enough of drpgs. If SoSC does well maybe we can get Babel after.

I'd take Coven and the Labyrinth of Refrain from NISA over Babel. It looks and sounds much better than babel. We're already getting the Experience games that matter anyway. They're going to be pretty busy next year and I expect them to focus on their own games.

I think it's guaranteed Atlus USA will bring both that and the first Dungeon Travelers to the West next year.

Utawarerumono, Dungeon Travelers 1, Persona 5, SMT4 Final, 2 Vanillaware games, Grand Kingdom and Exist Archive. Perfect lineup for Atlus for 2016. I hope they actually pick up Grand Kingdom and Exist Archive.

Powwa

I'm still bothering Bandai Namco's twitter for Tales of Innocence R. For which gaming god should we pray or maybe offer a sacrifice to get this game localized?

So what is making some of you guys think we'll get DT1? Is it just assumed at this point since DT2 probably did fairly well and 2-2 is likely still a few months off for Japan?

autoduelist

Wishlist Stress successfully converted into Backlog Stress!

While I didn't get everything on my main wishlist, I successfully added around 6 games I didn't actually want in their stead (Zombie Army Trilogy? Godzilla? What?).

Final haul - something like 8 physical PS4 games, and surprisingly only half a dozen digital games. I was actually expecting to buy around a dozen games during the BF digital sale, but many of the prices weren't quite 'insta-buy' for me and i was able to talk myself out of them
I think. I still have stuff in my cart

Prelude.

So what is making some of you guys think we'll get DT1? Is it just assumed at this point since DT2 probably did fairly well and 2-2 is likely still a few months off for Japan?
I don't think it's coming but probably because DT2-2 doesn't even have a date (or a screenshot) and Atlus US isn't particularly prolific in terms of releases. Seems like most games get taken by other publishers.
Also, I'm not sure about Utawarerumono either. Aren't you supposed to have played the first game before False Mask?

Clive

I'm still bothering Bandai Namco's twitter for Tales of Innocence R. For which gaming god should we pray or maybe offer a sacrifice to get this game localized?

Bamco has access to the sales numbers for Hearts R and I think those sales numbers is the only thing you can pray too. The game was Gamestop exclusive and it rarely appeared in the monthly PSN top sellers so I wouldn't hold my breath sadly.

Shizuka

Why not? There were only 12 days between Japanese and American release of Dragon's Crown.

Dragon's Crown was being worked upon directly by Atlus and Vanillaware in Japan, the game was starting to get into development hell. Meanwhile, the new game is Vanillaware by itself, not involvement from Atlus other than publishing it.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Hmm, I know I got all the PS Plus games from September, but it says I don't own Teslagrad or Twisted Metal.
My friend also doesn't show Teslagrad as purchased. However he has it in his download list. (not in mine though)

Can anyone else check?

Teslagrad
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/teslagrad/cid=UP4513-CUSA01670_00-TESLAGRAD0000001
Twisted Metal
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/twisted-metal/cid=UP9000-NPUA80079_00-TWISTEDMETAL0100

It shows the price, but also says "Download to your PS3/4" right under it (depending on the game).

dallow_bg

nods at old men
It shows the price, but also says "Download to your PS3/4" right under it (depending on the game).

You know, maybe I just forgot to redeem it. I got the other games that month, but these two... who knows. It's unlike me, but the most probably thing.

Thanks for checking.

I bought 3, three-month PlayStation Plus cards from Walmart today, and attempted to enter them all on my PS4 system through the "redeem codes" method. None worked, all giving me the error code, "WC-40355-7." The link on Sony's website gives a very short answer saying that it's a sub account, and not a master. My account is not a sub-account, and I have never had anything but the single master account.

My Plus membership is 5 days away from expiring, and now I have 3 useless card that will not work. I also attempted to enter them on the PS app and directly on Sony's site, there I only get an invalid code error. Has this happened to anyone before? I'm pretty frustrated here.

The cards, as far as I can tell are all authentic, bought directly from Walmart, and I personally scratched the code myself.

autoduelist

Hmm, I know I got all the PS Plus games from September, but it says I don't own Teslagrad or Twisted Metal.
My friend also doesn't show Teslagrad as purchased. However he has it in his download list. (not in mine though)

Can anyone else check?

Teslagrad
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/teslagrad/cid=UP4513-CUSA01670_00-TESLAGRAD0000001
Twisted Metal
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/twisted-metal/cid=UP9000-NPUA80079_00-TWISTEDMETAL0100

Just checked - have the same issue. Mine shows that I need to purchase it...

However, I searched my email for it (ps+ purchases show up in purchase confirmation emails) and I definitely redeemed it.

Soooo.... most likely, it's just the store being overburdened right now with BF purchases. I'll give it a couple days and check again.

Please post here if you get it working and I'll do the same. Also -- check your email to see if you claimed it!

I bought 3, three-month PlayStation Plus cards from Walmart today, and attempted to enter them all on my PS4 system through the "redeem codes" method. None worked, all giving me the error code, "WC-40355-7." The link on Sony's website gives a very short answer saying that it's a sub account, and not a master. My account is not a sub-account, and I have never had anything but the single master account.

My Plus membership is 5 days away from expiring, and now I have 3 useless card that will not work. I also attempted to enter them on the PS app and directly on Sony's site, there I only get an invalid code error. Has this happened to anyone before? I'm pretty frustrated here.

The cards, as far as I can tell are all authentic, bought directly from Walmart, and I personally scratched the code myself.

I'm sure the codes are fine. Might be the store acting up, just as above. Try again in a day or two, call Sony on monday. I'm sure you'll get them working.

incpdo

Im still confused on what to get . i want hollow fragment , neptunia u, or j stars vs. The thing is i can only get one of them but even when for everyone the obvious choice is hollow fragment im not sure about it as im not a fan of morpgs and i know this is pretty much the same but offline plus is the bigger of the three size wise. I'm more incline to one of the action games ( neptunia U or j star) but I'm not sure. Vitagaffers help!. Also which of these games have a retail a NA retail version?

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I got Iku Kaede ending in tokyo twilight, a little disappointed because since you don't have too much interaction with her(and the other secondary characters) she didn't have too much to say, but she's still cute.

'Exploration' still sounds stilted though. However, I'm not sure what the actual Japanese word is. For me it was always 'dungeons' rather than exploration. But, like you said we use and don't use certain words based on context (and some are just archaic :p).
1)Penetration is the act of entering somewhere, if you think that it's used for dungeons it's no surprise you think it's wrong, but you are the one being wrong, not the localization.
2)It has nothing archaic, haven't you ever heard in crime movies or series of: "the bullet penetrated the wall" for example? In marketing it's rather usual to say: "to penetrate the market". and so on.

Saphirax

I got Iku Kaede ending in tokyo twilight, a little disappointed because since you don't have too much interaction with her(and the other secondary characters) she didn't have too much to say, but she's still cute.

1)Penetration is the act of entering somewhere, if you think that it's used for dungeons it's no surprise you think it's wrong, but you are the one being wrong, not the localization.
2)It has nothing archaic, haven't you ever heard in crime movies or series of: "the bullet penetrated the wall" for example? In marketing it's rather usual to say: "to penetrate the market". and so on.

The localization is still wrong since that is not how you translate text. You can't just randomly pick a synonym for a word and use it. Context is key and it needs to sound natural. In SAO's case it's anything but natural. The word 'penetrate' itself is not archaic, but the way it was used in the game is. It's common to see 'the bullet penetrated the wall', but how many times have you actually seen 'we've been doing a lot of penetrations (exploring/exploration)?

Edit: Just noticed the second bolded part. My comment referred to my example of the word 'ejaculate' there as being archaic.

Bowl0l

#Little King's DLC Ultimate Pass
#Konami
in case anyone who bought it didn't know, it behaves like a Season Pass.
You will have to purchase all DLCs one by one... I really like PSN's ten item per cart limit.

Prelude.

I'll wait for your impressions! :D
Alright, so, performance isn't too bad, I guess, I think it's pretty serviceable, and the loading times are short, but graphics and, more noticeably, audio are definitely poor. I played the DW Next demo more than a year ago, so I'm not sure if I remember correctly, but that looked and sounded way better than this. I'm really sensitive to badly compressed audio and that made me close the game after like 15 minutes of battles. I spent more time in the character creation than actually playing it. Overall it seems like something went wrong in this version and it's somehow way less polished than older DW and SW.

Benedict

Somebody know why the sound for dialogue in Fallout 4 has disappeared from my center speaker?
I can hear it if I turn my character so the sound comes from the other speakers in my 5.1 but it's gone from the center.
Can it have something to do that I play the game mostly on remote play on my Vita and it changes the setting for the sound somehow?

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Alright, so, performance isn't too bad, I guess, I think it's pretty serviceable, and the loading times are short, but graphics and, more noticeably, audio are definitely poor. I played the DW Next demo more than a year ago, so I'm not sure if I remember correctly, but that looked and sounded way better than this. I'm really sensitive to badly compressed audio and that made me close the game after like 15 minutes of battles. I spent more time in the character creation than actually playing it. Overall it seems like something went wrong in this version and it's somehow way less polished than older DW and SW.
Thanks for the infos :)
Sadly DWN is still the best looking and performing DW game on vita :(

The localization is still wrong since that is not how you translate text. You can't just randomly pick a synonym for a word and use it. Context is key and it needs to sound natural. In SAO's case it's anything but natural. The word 'penetrate' itself is not archaic, but the way it was used in the game is. It's common to see 'the bullet penetrated the wall', but how many times have you actually seen 'we've been doing a lot of penetrations (exploring/exploration)?

Edit: Just noticed the second bolded part. My comment referred to my example of the word 'ejaculate' there as being archaic.
I agree that it sounds weird/fun but it's not grammatically incorrect imo.
Take into account that animes often try to sound original using some "weird" word for something important instead of a more common word.

yaffi

There's really no need to defend the poor localization job they did for SAO HF. It's riddled with grammatical errors and spelling mistakes. And the entire script reads like a machine/dictionary translation with sloppy editing (if it's edited at all).

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
There's really no need to defend the poor localization job they did for SAO HF. It's riddled with grammatical errors and spelling mistakes. And the entire script reads like a machine/dictionary translation with sloppy editing (if it's edited at all).

I'm not defending the entire localization, i'm just pointing that "penetration" is not an error imo.

I'm not defending the entire localization, i'm just pointing that "penetration" is not an error imo.
if the localized text reads poorly to a native speaker, and the original text does not read poorly to a native speaker, then it's clearly an error. I don't see how you could disagree lol

Only real contradiction to this is puns

Prelude.

Why are you assuming people can read that here? lol
But anyway, the article that started this was just a "what if" speculation, they didn't actually use the psn to communicate but still, I don't think anyone would care if they start monitoring psn messages considering the kind of conversations that happen there.

GAF has people from all over the world, I doubted that I wouldn't find at least one that understood italian.

VLiberty

VitalyGAF is a thing. :O

The Arkham City (not Knight) Harley Quinn DLC is on sale right now, does it feature new areas(buildings to explore, etc) with new Riddler secrets? Or is it just new missions in the previous areas/buildings?

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
if the localized text reads poorly to a native speaker, and the original text does not read poorly to a native speaker, then it's clearly an error. I don't see how you could disagree lol

Only real contradiction to this is puns
Reads poorly != error, the meaning of "penetration" in SAO clearly fits what the dictionary says "penetration" means so it's not an error unless you are saying that the dictionary is wrong.
They could have chosen a "better" term but again it's not an error.

I wanted to open a thread about it but then i changed my mind.

PS:
For Non-Italians: the Italian government wants to spy "Playstations"(that in Italy is like saying "gaming consoles", not just Sony consoles) to fight terrorism.

v1perz53

Well that's kind of unfortunate. I can't use the same memory card on my Vita and Vita TV because the Vita TV is compatibility hacked, and apparently memory cards are firmware specific. Honestly, I wonder if it is worth the hassle to keep this thing compatibility hacked, since I also have a regular Vita that I love playing on. I'm full digital on Vita, so it is a fairly huge pain to get games to the Vita TV now that the Compatibility Blocker window is over, and also a large pain to sync game saves. Guess I'll wait and see.

Are new releases lately defaulting to not compatible with Vita TV, are they mostly compatible or has it been hit and miss?

Reclaimer

DariusBurst Chronicle Saviours is supposed to be released Nov. 30th for Vita and PS4.

Anyone know if this is going to actually come to light?

Tizoc

CVDFYkGUwAAyIAZ.jpg:orig

Top Bottom