• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | November 2015

RK128

How is Sword Art Online - Hollow Fragment? I have that sitting in my cart and I am wondering if I haven't started the anime, will I be able to get up to speed on what is going on in the game or will I be lost? It was either this or Muramasa Rebirth but I wanted a long-ish game.

The game is a strong game gameplay and design wise, but lacks in the story and characterization front (suffering more from a shoddy translation into Engerlish). But the lowdown on the anime follows. Spoilers for the anime here:
-World takes place in the future where VR kicks off into something huge and a new VRMMO launches; Sword Art Online.
-People are excited and a number of people sign up for beta testing (Kirtio does this along with another character, Argo).
-Him and many others get SAO at launch and 'Link Start!' into the game world.
-Learn latter that Kiaba (the creator of the games world) locked out the "log out" function, trapping players into the game world; they die in game, the Nervegear (the device used to play the game) uses electricity to the players nerves to kill them.
-The game turns into a servial game, with Kirtio isolating himself and leveling up on his own.
-First three episodes explore him trying to connect with people and seeing the impact on how the 'death' aspect affects others; Kirtio is responsible for an entire party of seven being killed, having that pushing him further into isolation.
-The remaining 11 episodes have Kirtio interacting with the extended cast, falling for a female player named Asuna and marring her in-game around episode 7/8.
-The anime ends (second half of S1 never happened......in my mind) around episode 15, but the game is different.
-Instead of Kritio beating the creator on Floor 75 and 'winning the game', he and everyone else is still trapped.
-Kirtio has a number of friends and its best to explain them
-Asuna is the strongest female in the series (next to Sinon and Leafa/Sugu) and is Kirtio's girlfriend/wife.
-Yui is Kirito and Asuna's 'child' due to events taking place in the anime (she is a program that attaches herself to them due to their strong bond despite the game's chaos)
-Leafa/Sugu is Kirtio's sister/cousin, how joined SAO late into the game using a Nervegear to see her brother again, despite knowing the risks (Kirtio is bitter about that at first)
-Sinion is a S2 character from another VRMMO (Gun Gale Online) but they re-worked her into S1's timeline. She is a character who has PTSD due to a incident in her past, and that affects her. She uses a bow in Hollow Fragment (the closest thing to a gun, which she uses (Sniper Rifle) in the anime).
-Phila and Strea are the original character made for the game. Philla is for the Hollow Fragment portion, trapped in that section of the game world due to a glitch happening around the start of the game. Kirtio agrees to help her escape the Hollow Area. Strea is like Yui, a computer program that bonds with Kirtio.
-Two other female characters are in the game that Kirtio meets from early floors (the names escape me right now....)
-Every single female loves Kirtio and he is completely oblivious to it. Yep, and this leads to both funny and downright annoying moments :l. His reaction to Leafa/Sugu is toned down compared to the anime (thankfully....) but its still distracting.

That is a lot to cover but that is all you need to know at face value. Recommend watching the first 15 episodes (on Netflix in both English and JP VA's) but ignore the rest of the episodes and jump to SAO II (the second season; honestly fixes issues with S1 of SAO at points).

The games core works like this.
-You have two games, using the same gameplay across both.
-Alicard section is based on a JP-only SAO PSP game and has improved gameplay from that version; faster, runs better and have more attacks to play with
-Hollow Area section is the Vita-native content, with harder foes to fight, the best gear to find and new story content different from the Alicard portions
-Need to play through both to fully experience the game; the former is too easy while the latter has great gear to get for you parties
-Combat works a lot like Xenoblade; real time but has turn-based elements (guarding, using your Sword Skills, cool-down timers, ect.)
-Important to work with your party member at all times and depending on how you used them (attackers, healers, defenders, ect), they can get new armors over time
-Events happen in both portions of the game that open into new combat encounters and story scenes
-Use the CPU-MP features; can take up to four other players with you (plus yourself and a party member) into the Hollow Area sections. Helpful for level grinding for multiple people.
-Invest in using ALL of your weapons. Can unlock new skills from using all the weapon types (buffs, de-buffs, attacks, ect) and that is important when entering the Hollow Area.

Hope this helps and that you get the game :).

Edit: Wow, a top page post and its long XD! Speaking of SAO, get Lost Song if you are interested in the series :). Takes most of what made Hollow Fragment enjoyable but has a different combat system and flying features :).

Shizuka

VitaGAF, this is my Black Friday purchases:

- Metal Gear Solid Legacy Edition;
- Zone of the Enders HD Collection Limited Edition;
- Tales of Symphonia Chronicles;
- The Fruit of Grisaia;
- Toukiden Kiwami;
- A headphone;
- Lenovo Thinkpad 8.

RK128

VitaGAF, this is my Black Friday purchases:

- Metal Gear Solid Legacy Edition;
- Zone of the Enders HD Collection Limited Edition;
- Tales of Symphonia Chronicles;
- The Fruit of Grisaia;
- Toukiden Kiwami;
- A headphone;
- Lenovo Thinkpad 8.

Congrats Shizuka :D!

Not getting anything, but I am happy with Lost Song and getting Teslagard for free on my Vita (thanks to it being on Plus but also being cross-buy with its future Vita port :D).

STUFF

Hope this helps and that you get the game :).

Edit: Wow, a top page post and its long XD! Speaking of SAO, get Lost Song if you are interested in the series :). Takes most of what made Hollow Fragment enjoyable but has a different combat system and flying features :).

That did help. I grabbed it and am downloading it now. I didn't get Lost Song since I only had 20.00 in my wallet but I'll be adding that to my library soon enough I hope.

RK128

That did help. I grabbed it and am downloading it now. I didn't get Lost Song since I only had 20.00 in my wallet but I'll be adding that to my library soon enough I hope.

Hope you enjoy the game buddy :D!

10 bucks is the cheapest the game has ever been sold at :).

No not sure how new these Vita patches are, but they're new to me (as far as being available);
  • Resident Evil Revelations 2 just got a patch to v1.04 on Vita citing an infinite loading fix in the store checkout (another 972Mb download)
  • SUPERBEAT: XONiC's 717MB v1.01 update went live in North America, citing improved autosave and system improvements
  • Squares got a small patch to fix some stuff (didn't read too closely)

There is a VitaGAF! :D

My christmas gift (thanks to my loving wife) will be a Vita. I game exclusively on PC at home nowadays, but because of work I have to spend quite a bit of time away from it on a regular basis, so recently I have dabbled in the arcane arts of portable gaming, borrowing my daughter's 3DS to play SMTIV. Somehow the idea of grabbing a Vita started making more and more sense to me, considering it has (from my perspective) a solid selection of titles and (from what I have read) a good amount of compatible PSP and PSOne games.

I already nabbed Hot Shots Golf, and plan to grab (in no particular order) the following titles: Persona 4 Golden, Danganronpa 1 and 2 (how many of them are there), Tearaway, Zero Escape and Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel. Are there any games in your opinion that should be mandatory for any Vita owner? I'd love to get some recommendations.

Hikami

I guess Until Dawn and Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD is all I'm getting this Black Friday.

Shame that Amazon never ended up putting Persona 4 DAN on sale..

I think I only bought a Vita memory card during last year's Black Friday so this year is somewhat better.

My christmas gift (thanks to my loving wife) will be a Vita. I game exclusively on PC at home nowadays, but because of work I have to spend quite a bit of time away from it on a regular basis, so recently I have dabbled in the arcane arts of portable gaming, borrowing my daughter's 3DS to play SMTIV. Somehow the idea of grabbing a Vita started making more and more sense to me, considering it has (from my perspective) a solid selection of titles and (from what I have read) a good amount of compatible PSP and PSOne games.

I already nabbed Hot Shots Golf, and plan to grab (in no particular order) the following titles: Persona 4 Golden, Danganronpa 1 and 2 (how many of them are there), Tearaway, Zero Escape and Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel. Are there any games in your opinion that should be mandatory for any Vita owner? I'd love to get some recommendations.

Here's a bunch;
  • Killzone Mercenary
  • Ys: Memories of Celceta
  • SUPERBEAT: XONiC
  • Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls (the one you're missing)
  • Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus
  • Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment
  • OlliOlli2: Welcome to Olliwood
  • Soul Sacrifice Delta
  • Muramasa Rebirth
  • Guacamelee!

If you're interested in visual novels (and from the list above it seems like you might be), Steins;Gate is a must.

Here's a bunch;
  • Killzone Mercenary
  • Ys: Memories of Celceta
  • SUPERBEAT: XONiC
  • Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls (the one you're missing)
  • Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus
  • Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment
  • OlliOlli2: Welcome to Olliwood
  • Soul Sacrifice Delta
  • Muramasa Rebirth
  • Guacamelee!

If you're interested in visual novels (and from the list above it seems like you might be), Steins;Gate is a must.
Thanks! I'll definitely check those ones out. I forgot I also want Disgaea 3 and 4.

Can I buy (from amazon) and activate a season pass on PS4 even though I don't have the game yet? Got the chance to get the Fallout 4 one now for 10€ and I plan to buy the game in the next few weeks.

Takao

Banned
Anime News Network:
Bandai Namco Entertainment announced at Anime Festival Asia in Singapore on Saturday that it will localize the Gakusen Toshi Asterisk: Hōka Kenran PlayStation Vita game in Asia. The company did not confirm what languages the release would include, but it did show an English-subtitled trailer for the game at the event.

The game is based on author Yuu Miyazaki and illustrator okiura's The Asterisk War: The Academy City on the Water (Gakusen Toshi Asterisk) light novel series.

Gakusen Toshi Asterisk: Hōka Kenran will have an original story where players can choose a partner to team up with in battle, and also to date. The ending will change depending on the player's choice. The game will ship in Japan on January 28 in both a regular and a limited edition.

Aniplex of America licensed the television anime adaptation that premiered in October. The series is streaming on Daisuki, Crunchyroll, and Funimation.

Update: Bandai Namco Entertainment Asia stated on Instagram regarding the announcement, "Rooting for EN localisation? Leave your comment on our [Facebook] page!"

Update 2: Bandai Namco Entertainment told ANN that it is still gauging market demand before it decides the target language for localization.

This is their Facebook page link, but it it's region locked.

SGCafe has an English subtitled trailer alongside a quote from the producer:

“We’re currently looking at market demand for this title, which countries would like it more, et cetera, before making a decision on which language we’ll localize the game in,” the game’s producer Yosuke Futami told SGCafe when asked if the localization would be in English or Chinese.

I'm not familiar with this series, so I'm just going to say it's great to see Bandai Namco Asia take on more projects. Well, assuming the translations are up to snuff lol.

Anime News Network:

This is their Facebook page link, but it it's region locked.

SGCafe has an English subtitled trailer alongside a quote from the producer::

I'm not familiar with this series, so I'm just going to say it's great to see Bandai Namco Asia take on more projects. Well, assuming the translations are up to snuff lol.

Ehhhh idk lol. The show is in between the shitty and mediocre. I mean this and another show (Cavalry) are this season's joke. Basically they are the same as one another. Now obviously anime takes a long time to make, so the fact that they are the same is just a huge (unfortunate) coincidence. It's basically another magic high school tournament show, in which the MC is shunned by everyone for being the weakest when in reality he is the strongest. Typical LN trash basically lol. The fact that there are 2 of these airing on the same day, following basically the same plot is just hilarious.

Benedict

Had to erase some games for the first time on my PS4 1TB SHHD.

Erased DC Universe Heroes and War Thunder that never got played.
and the stupid arty games like the godawful Entwined and the two "is it art or a game" titles you got for free on PS+.
They were so nonexistant in my mind that I've already forgot what they were called and had to google for half an hour before I found the titles. AKA Doki Doki Universe and Hohokum. What little I played of them was just just meh. What a waste of resources those "games" are.
LLShC.gif

Flunkie

Banned
I think I will enjoy it. At that price it was a must grab.
I am loving it. I just started HF right when LS came out and I've been addicted since. Watch 1-14 of the anime and you'll want to play HF asap :) The game is fantastic gameplay and content wise, so much to do.

redcrayon

Killzone: Mercenary and Ys: Memories of Celceta are fantastic, the latter introduced me to the Ys games and now it's one of my favourite series.

If you want to try hunting games, Toukiden Kiwami and Freedom Wars (currently on PS+) are worth a go.

Ludens

Banned
ModBot said:
Instructions for PunishedSnake:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste. Your giveaway will be automatically reposted on your behalf.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away an item. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (PunishedSnake, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Pay it forward. You can only win this game if you've given away a game since you last won a game (minimum one total giveaway).
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

1hFaqwB.png
OlliOlli,Worms Revolution Extreme and Velocity Ultra PSN EU -- MB-99B7D541583BD51B - Taken by Kagemusha. 8 entrants total.

t1448719783z1.png
For Vita

Kudo

So my Dualshock 4 left analog stick started jittering and going haywire with games, like stopping for second when running forward and when going right just suddenly flipping around etc.
Called Playstation Support and they said it's not a problem that can be fixed so they'll have to replace the controller, take it to your nearest retailer and they should do it.
Took it to one and they take it in saying they'll "investigate" it for 2-3 weeks, like what the? Patience is a virtue so I'll give them 3 weeks even though I feel cheated, if they replace it after that I'm happy but if they try to give me back the broken controller I don't know what to do.
Do people here have experiences with Dualshock 4 replacements?

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Damn guys i started a second playtrough of Tokyo Twilight just to see the differences and i only now learned that i can talk with the comrades in the office! XD
Now i understand why i had the neutral ending.

I guess i can platinum it, if you skip story dialogues all you have to do are 18 mandatory exorcisms(now they are easy and lasts few minutes) + few dialogues, others exorcisms and training with someone to get his/her ending, a playtrough can be very short that way, i think that a total of three plays are enough.

Chuy

How big is Dragon Quest Heroes supposed to be? Finally got around to downloading the game and it says 22.5gb but is 5gb downloaded. Glitch or is that the actual size?

Bamco games take a while to come down in price; if you're considering getting it, get it now - it's $13.50 with the 10% discount and it's regular $40 or $50.
Yeah I've kinda realized that from watching how infrequently they go on sale so I'm going to purchase them when PSN wants to finally load for me.

If you want SAO: Hollow Fragment, get it now. It is a great JRPG despite its issues story/characterization wise and for 10 bucks you are getting a JRPG with a massive amount of content (the game is more or less two games in one; a JP-only PSP SAO game remastered and a brand new SAO game set in a new section of Alicard's world).
Reading this and your other post on this game pretty much guaranteed I'm buying it. Goodbye life :/

Saphirax

How big is Dragon Quest Heroes supposed to be? Finally got around to downloading the game and it says 22.5gb but is 5gb downloaded. Glitch or is that the actual size?

Yeah I've kinda realized that from watching how infrequently they go on sale so I'm going to purchase them when PSN wants to finally load for me.

Reading this and your other post on this game pretty much guaranteed I'm buying it. Goodbye life :/

5 gigs is the amount you need to download in order to be able to start the game, the rest will download in the background.

Producer

Everyone who is interested in SAO HF Vita should watch a lets play video first to check out the translation quality. This game doesnt have your normal typo here and there. Its a machine translated mess

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Has anyone noticed the free version of dynasty warriors empires in the eu store? It's >3gb so i couldn't download it, any impressions?
There's also handball 16! XD

RK128

Everyone who is interested in SAO HF Vita should watch a lets play video first to check out the translation quality. This game doesnt have your normal typo here and there. Its a machine translated mess

Common, who doesn't love some good ol' Engerlish every once and a while ;).

Edit: Removed the picture; 2+2=5 made a good point with it not being funny anymore.

autoduelist

Can I buy (from amazon) and activate a season pass on PS4 even though I don't have the game yet? Got the chance to get the Fallout 4 one now for 10€ and I plan to buy the game in the next few weeks.

I don't know if you can activate it, but you can certainly buy the code now and just use it later. I had a Amazon code for a year of ps+ sitting around for like 2 years before I just recently activated it.

So my Dualshock 4 left analog stick started jittering and going haywire with games, like stopping for second when running forward and when going right just suddenly flipping around etc.
Called Playstation Support and they said it's not a problem that can be fixed so they'll have to replace the controller, take it to your nearest retailer and they should do it.
Took it to one and they take it in saying they'll "investigate" it for 2-3 weeks, like what the? Patience is a virtue so I'll give them 3 weeks even though I feel cheated, if they replace it after that I'm happy but if they try to give me back the broken controller I don't know what to do.
Do people here have experiences with Dualshock 4 replacements?

I had to replace one of mine, it was fairly painless but back then you mailed it in.

My other one has an issue now too [both are launch controllers, known to have issues]... so they're saying just take it to a retailer now? Like, did you just take it to Best Buy (or wherever) and tell them you had an issue and they knew what to do? [ie, can I just skip calling Sony or do I need some sort of case number?]

Prelude.

Has anyone noticed the free version of dynasty warriors empires in the eu store? It's >3gb so i couldn't download it, any impressions?
There's also handball 16! XD
I downloaded it but didn't try it yet. Afaik you can try a few different modes and you can also play online with people that have the full version.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Please guys stop with this "penetration" non-sense, that's not an error at all, look at the dictionary:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/penetrate?s=t
verb (used with object), penetrated, penetrating.

1.to pierce or pass into or through:
The bullet penetrated the wall. The fog lights penetrated the mist.

2.to enter the interior of:
to penetrate a forest.

3.to enter and diffuse itself through; permeate.

4.to arrive at the truth or meaning of; understand; comprehend:
to penetrate a mystery.

5.to obtain a share of (a market):
to penetrate the Canadian coffee market.

6.to affect or impress (the mind or feelings) deeply.

7.to extend influence, usually peacefully, into the affairs of (another country).

verb (used without object), penetrated, penetrating.

8.to enter, reach, or pass through something, as by piercing:
We penetrated to the interior of the Kasbah.

9.to be diffused through something.

10.to understand or read the meaning of something.

11.to have a deep effect or impact on someone.
if it's a joke it stopped being funny long time ago.

I downloaded it but didn't try it yet. Afaik you can try a few different modes and you can also play online with people that have the full version.

I'll wait for your impressions! :D

Prelude.

Please guys stop with this "penetration" non-sense, that's not an error at all, look at the dictionary:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/penetrate?s=t

if it's a joke it stopped being funny long time ago.
They removed it in every english version, anyway. It's only present in the asian copy.

I'll wait for your impressions! :D
I can tell you already that (according to bluemaxima's video) DW8E's performance is pretty bad and for some reason worse than the previous games.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
They removed it in every english version, anyway. It's only present in the asian copy.

I can tell you already that (according to bluemaxima's video) DW8E's performance is pretty bad and for some reason worse than the previous games.
After all the jokes and the hate it was the minimum.

Too bad for DW8E :(

It was only a joke man :(. Will remove the picture if its a problem. Sorry man :(.

It's not a problem, the screen can stay, i just find really weird that someone like me whose mother language isn't the English knows the meaning of that word while most of the rest of the gaming world not, or just want to see a very specific meaning of it, i was expecting someone to point the meaning of the word, but no one did. No one knew the meaning of the word, i mean really? I can only think that some just wanted to jump on the joke/hate train.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Changing the argument, I saw that many people on gaf expect the nx handheld to have a 540p screen, if true then don't you think that there could be vita-nx multis? I mean if the nx really uses 540p resolution then it shouldn't be that more powerful than vita right?
It would be really ironic if the nx helps extending vita's life lol.

Saphirax

After all the jokes and the hate it was the minimum.

Too bad for DW8E :(

It's not a problem, the screen can stay, i just find really weird that someone like me whose mother language isn't the English knows the meaning of that word while most of the rest of the gaming world not, or just want to see a very specific meaning of it, i was expecting someone to point the meaning of the word, but no one did. No one knew the meaning of the word, i mean really? I can only think that some just wanted to jump on the joke/hate train.

'Ejaculate' also has more than one meaning, yet you'll never find it being used as 'exclaim' unless you're reading an older novel. Some meanings are simply archaic. It's also obvious that the word 'penetrate' is meant to substitute the word 'dungeon' in SAO. So, yes it is an error unless you're telling me that "We've been doing a lot of entering (penetrations)" would be an accurate translation.

Kudo

I had to replace one of mine, it was fairly painless but back then you mailed it in.

My other one has an issue now too [both are launch controllers, known to have issues]... so they're saying just take it to a retailer now? Like, did you just take it to Best Buy (or wherever) and tell them you had an issue and they knew what to do? [ie, can I just skip calling Sony or do I need some sort of case number?]

I took it to retailer first, they told me to call Sony - I called Sony and they told me that the problem is unfixable so take it to the retailer again and tell them the problem and they should replace it.
In my case they didn't replace it right away but took it in to "investigate" it for 2-3 weeks, but I do hope after they've had their fun with it they replace it. Sony Support said they'd replace it so I sure hope they keep their word. I got a case number from the call so I just emailed the retailer about it, hopefully it helps.

So dumb question (as I just got a ps4 for christmas due to the blackfriday 299 deal) and im not near the system: I got a 20% off code in the box for the store and i was wondering if anyone knows if i can use it to get a year of PS +?

18-Volt

So, it's safe to assume that Atlus will be bringing Utawarerumono The False Faces to west in 2016, right? I mean, it sold more than 100k in Japan and anime is currently licensed in US. And now the 3rd game is on its way, I can finally find out what all the fuss about the game. They say it's a VN heavy SRPG but it's story is pretty good. Plus some Aquaplus style fanservice.

Shizuka

So, it's safe to assume that Atlus will be bringing Utawarerumono The False Faces to west in 2016, right? I mean, it sold more than 100k in Japan and anime is currently licensed in US. And now the 3rd game is on its way, I can finally find out what all the fuss about the game. They say it's a VN heavy SRPG but it's story is pretty good. Plus some Aquaplus style fanservice.

I think it's guaranteed Atlus USA will bring both that and the first Dungeon Travelers to the West next year.

I've been installing most of the games I own that I have an interest in playing semi-regularly , since upgrading to 2TB. And with about 30% still needing to install, I already passed the 600GB mark..

Top Bottom