• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | December 2014

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The sales for Vita in the US have been cursed ever since I bought this forty bucks for 30 almost a month ago. (SAO is cursed beyond belief) So maybe another thread goer getting 30 for 20 will reverse the curse.

kevin1025

Banned
What has been the sale price for Tearaway on PSN? It's $39.99 at the moment, and $29.99 at Best Buy (in Canada), so I'm curious if I should wait for a sale (especially since there's still a few weeks of Christmas deals) or to bite now!

Yeah Guardian of Light is a good co-op game.
There's also
Metal Slug
Metal Slug 2
Metal Slug X
Rayman Legends
Shock Trooper
Brothers: A tale of two sons
Jak 1
The Sly Trilogy
Ratchet and Clank
Portal 2 (I think digital is available only in EU PSN? has an excellent co-op mode if she doesn't mind First Person view)
Dead storm Pirates is available on EU PSN and is an arcade on-rails shooter and I think it is narmy and corny enough for ANYONE to enjoy playing
Adventures of Cookie and Cream
The PSX Spyro and Crash games are worth a look
If you don't mind old school beat'em-ups there's the Dungeons and Dragons collection

Mind you I listed some SP games but they're still worth looking into

No problem. We sometimes play SP games as well. Yesterday i played a bit of The Last of Us and she loved it. She found the story interesting and really liked it.

Guardian of Light, bought it and downloaded it yesterday based on your and other Gaffers recommendations.
Metal Slug
Metal Slug 2
Metal Slug X, i really love Metal Slug series, easy and fun gameplay. Im sure she would like it. also this reminded me that i need to play the mobile version.(i forgot to download it on my tablet when my phone broke)
Rayman Legends, she really liked what she saw on the videos i showed her. Will try to get it today
Shock Trooper, showed this to her too, she liked it and said she would love to try it. I am curious as well i never played this :(
Brothers: A tale of two sons, got this one too.
Jak 1
The Sly Trilogy
Ratchet and Clank
Portal 2 (I think digital is available only in EU PSN? has an excellent co-op mode if she doesn't mind First Person view) I have the disc version, coop might be fun if she can learn to play with both analog sticks :)
Dead storm Pirates is available on EU PSN and is an arcade on-rails shooter and I think it is narmy and corny enough for ANYONE to enjoy playing
Adventures of Cookie and Cream
The PSX Spyro and Crash

PSX Spyro and Crash could be less charming than it was in their time so i will try to get a Ratchet and Clank game as well. If she likes that we might look into Jak and Sly series as well. Thank you so much.
If you have a Move there are some great local coop games available for it. Tumble is a good one, you can play with a single controller (you pass it around between turns). Start The Party is alright too.

Don't have a move so :( But im thinking getting one. Thanks.

I introduced my girlfriend to gameing with Ratchet and Clank All 4 One - its a great game all by itself, but what makes it perfect is the great coop expierence and easy controls (dynamic camera, auto lock/aim etc). She loved it and we played trough it twice back to back.
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light and the newly released Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris are great coop games as well.
Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends are good and fun too.

For single player you can present her with Brothers: Tales of Two Sons ( i think it was free on PLUS), ICO (which can be played in coop after the first playtrough)

Thank you very much. I will try to get Ratchet and Clank All 4 One today. I showed a gameplay video of Rayman Legends and she loved the art style. Only thing that worries me is that the gameplay could be a bit hard for her but im sure she will learn. I already have Brothers, we might play that today.

Great recommendations thank you all.

incpdo

I've got 30 hours on borderlands 2. The media reaction to that port baffles me...

It's crashed on me three times in that time. That's three times I've had to reload a computer game.

"Reload a computer game"

Hardly the end of the world is it?

Also the framerate... Well, it takes a hit early on in the game and the sanctuary is a let down but I've been pretty impressed with how well the game holds up everywhere else. After reading reports before I bought it, I was convinced that this'd be a waste of money.

yeah i agree with you and im glad im not the only one enjoying this , also for one trick i always put vita in flight mode in order to play bigger games or games i play in single player mode only. , there is a difference for sure in some games i can notice that on Borderlands.

Vita has one of the biggest fps there is around , frame dips and all the port is amazing. considering Vita's power is not on par with ps3 AND it is a handheld for god's sake.

Tizoc

Shock Troopers is an overhead 2D shooting game with one of the most underated black characters ever
Big%20Mama.png

MGS' Big Momma aint' got shit on SNK's~

Keep in mind that the M2 Ports for MS1, MS2 and Shock Troopers only allow for like '20 lives', but as you get good in the game you can beat them with few tries ;)

Qvoth

anybody still having problems going into ps store?
got this problem ever since psn down few days ago, now if i test the connection it says psn sign in successful but i can never go into ps store

Tizoc

anybody still having problems going into ps store?
got this problem ever since psn down few days ago, now if i test the connection it says psn sign in successful but i can never go into ps store

Have you tried the webstore?

Qvoth

Have you tried the webstore?

just did from pc, seems fine
i'm just anxious about gg xrd which will be out on 16th
if i buy from webstore and start the download on ps4, will my ps4 able to download the game if it's still unable to access ps store then? <_<

Tizoc

just did from pc, seems fine
i'm just anxious about gg xrd which will be out on 16th
if i buy from webstore and start the download on ps4, will my ps4 able to download the game if it's still unable to access ps store then? <_<

I think you'll be fine as long as you can access your download list. Actually the webstore now has a function that lets the user remotely start a download.
Basically you click on 'Download to PS4' in the page of the game you bought. IF your PS4 is on, or when next you turn it on and log into the account you bought the game from, it'll start downloading the game.

Mind you I know this option is available for PS3, but dunno about PS4 ^^;

Qvoth

yeah i know about that feature, it's how i downloaded the 20th anniversary theme onto my ps4
but that was before psn was down from the attack

Takao

Banned
This is from the China PlayStation event. Anyone able to make out the logos I missed?

A Few Days Left, Air Race Speed, Castle Conqueror V, Catsblock Vestival, Deemo, Dynasty Warriors 8 XL, ???, Fairune, Fantasy Hero Unsigned Legacy, Farming Simulator 14, Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy X-2, Fishing Joy 3, Gekiyada Runner, ??? (is this sudoku?), Gunslugs, Heroes of Loot, Hohokum, ???, Jetpack Joyride, King of Wushu (since when did Vita support Cryengine?), Kyntt Underground, Mr. Pumpkin Adventures, One Tap Hero, Pinball Arcade, Rayman Legends, Robonauts, Rocketbirds 2 Evolution, ???, ???, The New Heaven Sword, ???, Toukiden Kiwami, Urban Trial Freestyle, Velocity 2X, ???, Zvolution

A Few Days Left, ??? (Arcade Archives?), ???, ???, Chariot, DriveClub, Dynasty Warriors 8 XL, ???, Fishing Joy 3, Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster, Fluster Cluck, Gekiyada Runner, ???, Guilty Gear Xrd, Hohokum, ???, Jetpack Joyride, King of Wushu, Knack, LittleBigPlanet 3, Kingdom Under Fire II, Mercury, Mr. Pumpkin Adventures, One Tap Hero, ???, Dark Blade, Pinball Arcade, Rayman Legends, Robonauts, Rocketbirds 2 Evolution, ???, ???, ???, The New Heaven Sword, The Last Tinker, Trials Fusion, Trine 2, ???, Velocity 2X, Warframe

There are apparently rumours that Vita will be region locked but PS4 won't be? If they have to region lock one, I'm not sure doing that to the platform that people can easily take on trips is the best idea.

It's good seeing that the launch of the Vita there seems to have quite some support behind it. Here's hoping it does well, I'm sure that those who wanted one there already got it one way or the other, but I'm sure both consoles are going to sell pretty well

SerTapTap

What has been the sale price for Tearaway on PSN? It's $39.99 at the moment, and $29.99 at Best Buy (in Canada), so I'm curious if I should wait for a sale (especially since there's still a few weeks of Christmas deals) or to bite now!

Havent' seen it on sale often. I guess it can't hurt to wait a few weeks, but it's quite easily worth that $30, one of the best games on Vita and one of the best games of 2013 as well

This is from the China PlayStation event. Anyone able to make out the logos I missed?

That's a really great launch, or is that launch-window?. Pretty sure the thing next to chariot is NOT senran kagura, I can't read it but the characters look very different. Also Estival isn't even out in time for launch.

VITA-GAF, help me. I am a teacher. I drive to work. I own a PS4. Because of all this, I have very little opportunity to game away from home. But, I feel the lure, the pull of the Vita. The Borderlands 2 bundle is $169.99. I have had PS+ for a year and so have a healthy collection of Vita games waiting to be played. Thanks to Bing Rewards, I have essentially $150 in Amazon gift card. The final purchase would be a measly $31.60. BUT, my questions are as follows:

1. It comes with an 8GB memory card, how much can I reasonably get onto that little guy? Will I most likely need to get a bigger one quite soon anyway?

2. I know only I can make this value judgment, but for those of you in similar work and commute situations, does it seem worth it to you to have a dedicated handheld gaming system AND home console when you realistically play at home 90% of the time?

3. In your opinion, what should I do?

Thank you.

kevin1025

Banned
Havent' seen it on sale often. I guess it can't hurt to wait a few weeks, but it's quite easily worth that $30, one of the best games on Vita and one of the best games of 2013 as well

I'll hold off, just in case, thanks. I also grabbed Entwined from your recommendation, looking forward to playing it this evening!

Sarcasm

VITA-GAF, help me. I am a teacher. I drive to work. I own a PS4. Because of all this, I have very little opportunity to game away from home. But, I feel the lure, the pull of the Vita. The Borderlands 2 bundle is $169.99. I have had PS+ for a year and so have a healthy collection of Vita games waiting to be played. Thanks to Bing Rewards, I have essentially $150 in Amazon gift card. The final purchase would be a measly $31.60. BUT, my questions are as follows:

1. It comes with an 8GB memory card, how much can I reasonably get onto that little guy? Will I most likely need to get a bigger one quite soon anyway?

2. I know only I can make this value judgment, but for those of you in similar work and commute situations, does it seem worth it to you to have a dedicated handheld gaming system AND home console when you realistically play at home 90% of the time?

Thank you.

Hello fellow teacher! I don't have a PS4, but I have a vita. And a desktop PC I game with.

I game at work =D

1) 8GB isn't enough..won't even be worth it in the end. Top that off you missed a great deal on the BL2 bundle.

2) The connectivity or w/e you call it for the PS4 & Vita probably should make it worth it, I can't answer this because I have a hand-me-down PS3 that still works.

3) Buy a 2K model + 64gb card. AmeiAmei or nippon.

Dawg

Not sure if this is the best place to ask:

I want to share a game with a friend of mine. He only needs to play it for like 45 minutes or so.

How does game-sharing work in this regard? I'm still used to the PS3 system. Does he just log in on his PS4 with my account, log in & download it and then play the game on his account?

Afterwards, I'd like him to delete the acc and deactivate anything that needs to be deactivated.

Can anyone give me a proper walkthrough?

ZeroAKA

1. You will definitely need a bigger memory card. I would go with at least 32 GB to be safe, especially if you want to keep a lot of your digital/PS+ games installed.

2. Yes, that's what I (and probably most people in this thread) do. You can also use the Vita for remote play at home.

3. Buy it. $170 is the best deal I've seen for a new Vita Slim yet, and your gift card will bring down the cost even more.

SerTapTap

1. The 8GB will do at first, but it will require much juggling of the larger games (generally not what you have from PS+, though some of those can be 1GB+ too). For SCIENCE I tried to see how many games I could fit on an 8GB memory card and ended up with 3 full screens of games I actually enjoy (and a couple were 1GB+, but quite a few ~100MB games are great. Depends what you have of course). On the other hand, digital versions of Neptunia Rebirth and Killzone Mercenary would already put you at like >75% of full, so it really depends.

I have a 32GB and while a 64GB would be neat, the 32 is doing fine especially since I copy games I'm "done" with over to PC and remove them from the card. The 16GB in my PS TV is a bit cramped.

2. I love my Vita and I drive to work and rarely take it anywhere out of the house, save maybe a plane ride every couple years. However, I generally play my PS TV when possible, though I also prefer some games to be played on the "real" Vita so I can play bits and pieces while doing other things. For example I was playing a digital card game while watching KH 358/2 days, or a little something before bed (I like to grind at bed time if I'm not already tired enough which I never am). I also play Vita exclusives at home. I AM jealous of those that commute via train and actually get to play it on the go though.

3 Doit.gif, especially if you have plenty of PS+ games you think you'll enjoy. I get my Vita's asking price worth of fun from PS+ alone every year.

How does game-sharing work in this regard? I'm still used to the PS3 system. Does he just log in on his PS4 with my account, log in & download it and then play the game on his account?

It's basically the same as PS3, though if your connection is good enough you could just use Shareplay if he only needs 45 minutes.

Dawg

It's basically the same as PS3, though if your connection is good enough you could just use Shareplay if he only needs 45 minutes.

Not really interested in Shareplay.

I did hear you have to activate the friends PS4 as primary and your own as secondary? That's something new to me :p

SerTapTap

BL2 bundle is still $170 at Amazon. Buy it there instead of Gamestahp like me, shoulda waited

Not really interested in Shareplay.

I did hear you have to activate the friends PS4 as primary and your own as secondary? That's something new to me :p

It would require far less effort than setting up your account on their PS4. It's not complicated at all. And yes, some people set their friend's PS4 to primary and their own as secondary, I haven't tried and am generally not a fan of things like that.

pahamrick

Quick question for the fellow VitaBros, is there anywhere cheaper than Amazon in the US for the 32GB memory card (Roughly $64)?

Looking for the best price to replace one.

bobohoro

Thank you.

I have similiar gaming habits like you, most of the time at home and the rest is spent on train, roughly 10 hours a week. The Vita is awesome and I wouldn't want to miss it after the last 2 years of use, I sometimes even prefer to game at home with it and leave my consoles off, since it's nice to just pick up and play between television breaks, on the toilet or while watching sports.

1. I use a 8GB and can deal with it, although more space certainly wouldn't hurt. But I am of the type that usually plays at most 2 games at once and I always try to finish what I started before moving on, so I have an easier time deleting things to free up room. If you have games you always want with you, and they happen to be bigger vita games, you probably should invest in at least a 32GB card.

2. I have a 3DS&Vita as well as a WiiU/PS3 and I would sooner get rid of my home consoles than portables. That probably won't change when I finally upgrade to a PS4 sometime next spring. Reasons see above.

3. Do it!

maouvin

He can only play on his account if his PS4 is set as the primary console for your account.
If you don't want to do that, he can play your game on his console only if he's online with your account.

Shareplay, as suggested, is the easier way if it's only a 45min thing.

daydream

Banned
Have you played Titan Attacks ? It might be up your alley as well.

It was pretty alright, look a few pages back. Got to wave 220 on my first run or so. Prolly won't play it again, though, due to the repetition and time it takes to ramp up. So, a bit of a one-trick pony but a fun one, at least (Space Invaders Extreme did a better 'remix' take on its own gameplay).

batrush

Quick question for the fellow VitaBros, is there anywhere cheaper than Amazon in the US for the 32GB memory card (Roughly $64)?

Looking for the best price to replace one.

Poor timing. They were $40 new at Gamestop the last week. Check the B/S/T thread if you don't mind going second-hand. Got mine there for $50 not too long ago.

mauaus

PSA...

Go follow @curvestudios! They are giving out PS4/PS3/Vita/WiiU and PC codes when they hit 10K!

They are almost there as in any minute now

Valkyria

Banned
Is it me or it's Gaf going down the drain lately? Really, in real life I get away of people that now is plaguing the site. Maybe I'm growing older and I just should leave internet forums.

Valkyria

Banned
What's making you say that?

The general feel and the atmosphere at the forum. Everything is a piece of crap, that game sucks, indies are not real games... You know the deal, basically what happens in any vita thread is filtering to any other type of thread.

hamchan

The general feel and the atmosphere at the forum. Everything is a piece of crap, that game sucks, indies are not real games... You know the deal, basically what happens in any vita thread is filtering to any other type of thread.

Just the main gaming side really. Every other section seems fine (like this thread!).

daydream

Banned
Is it me or it's Gaf going down the drain lately? Really, in real life I get away of people that now is plaguing the site. Maybe I'm growing older and I just should leave internet forums.

Noticed a similar trend but since I'm trying to cut down on my GAF time, anyway, it's not too big of a problem. Also, it's always been pretty easy to discern which threads are safe. Sticking to subscriptions and only scanning main Gaming for headlines is a good way to do it.

Just the main gaming side really. Every other section seems fine (like this thread!).

I always say Community is underrated!

SerTapTap

This year has been dismal for people who want a very specific but very popular brand of AAA game and there's a lot of indie/smaller team stuff "invading consoles", add that to typical year 1 console rocky starts/buyer's remorse/inflated expectations and I'm not too surprised. I know what you mean though. I try not to be too grumpy but I've probably added to it a bit myself honestly, a few topics really have gotten on my nerves

ecurbj

This exactly why I subscribe to ongoing threads like this where Vita, PS3, PS4 fans can come together and talk gaming without dealing with hatred for one system or another. I don't visit the gaming section. In fact the only time I'm in the gaming section is if there are events going on.

I spend more time in Gaming Community, Off Topic and Off Topic Community.

The "gaming section" is just nothing flame wars going on and on like high school and it's never ending.

Just withdraw yourself from the gaming section. I'm assuming that's where you spend some time at.

Just set up my brand new Vita 2000. Whoever says they prefer the LCD is crazy. I do really love the feel of it, though. We are now a 2 Vita household! Looking forward to playing some ad-hoc Minecraft with my fiancée.

hamchan

Just set up my brand new Vita 2000. Whoever says they prefer the LCD is crazy. I do really love the feel of it, though. We are now a 2 Vita household! Looking forward to playing some ad-hoc Minecraft with my fiancée.

I can't really tell much of a difference between the OLED and the LCD screens tbh. Maybe if I put them side by side but I haven't done that yet. Otherwise the 2000 feeling so much better is a very good trade-off for a downgraded screen which I can't even tell is a downgrade.

SerTapTap

At first I didn't notice the difference as much as I thought, but then I loaded up a game I had played a lot and boom, yeah it's pretty washed out. Still 100x better than the 3DS' screen.

Feels great in the hand though. The thinness is more substantial than it sounds. And taking screenshots is so much better. Looks a little less "premium", but other than that and the screen everything's better. RIP mystery port though, would have loved that TV out.

I can't really tell much of a difference between the OLED and the LCD screens tbh. Maybe if I put them side by side but I haven't done that yet. Otherwise the 2000 feeling so much better is a very good trade-off for a downgraded screen which I can't even tell is a downgrade.

Yeah, I think it is mostly that I was swapping Vita game cards and memory cards, so I necessarily had to have them side by side. Still really happy about getting a 2000 :)

Noticed a similar trend but since I'm trying to cut down on my GAF time, anyway, it's not too big of a problem. Also, it's always been pretty easy to discern which threads are safe. Sticking to subscriptions and only scanning main Gaming for headlines is a good way to do it.

I always say Community is underrated!

Yup. Gotta just be more selective about what threads to jump into. I think it's also a timing thing, since there are lots of divisive games in the "news" atm.

Top Bottom