• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread (Vita/PS4/PS3) | December 2014

VLiberty

PSA...

Go follow @curvestudios! They are giving out PS4/PS3/Vita/WiiU and PC codes when they hit 10K!

They are almost there as in any minute now

I think I have every PSN Curve game released thanks to PS+, except Swapper which will be free next month

edit: I'm missing on Mousecraft, actually. Whatever, it'll be on PS+ within the next months, I'll leave it to people who aren't subbed (and tbh I'm not really interested in that game)

I tend to just stick to the threads that resonate with me. I'm not that active anywhere else but in the threads I'm subbed to, VitaGAF is best GAF though, this is where I post the most. Then if the games I play regularly have an OT/community thread I'll be there as well.

SerTapTap

BTW I think I might know what's shifting bubbles when swapping memory cards, only the system bubbles (and any folder containing system icons) seemed affected by moving my card from the 1000 to 2000

BTW I think I might know what's shifting bubbles when swapping memory cards, only the system bubbles (and any folder containing system icons) seemed affected by moving my card from the 1000 to 2000

I lost all of my (game only) bubbles when I did the same. Not a huge deal, though. I find organizing the bubbles soothing.

Yeah it wants to keep your cartridge and system bubbles in the same spots so it will just move stuff on the card to the bottom. It is weird how cartridge bubbles show up on a new card even when you haven't used the cartridge on that card. I have given up fighting it tho. I have 3 cards I switch between. 2 16GBs and a 4GB.

Yeah it wants to keep your cartridge and system bubbles in the same spots so it will just move stuff on the card to the bottom. It is weird how cartridge bubbles show up on a new card even when you haven't used the cartridge on that card. I have given up fighting it tho. I have 3 cards I switch between. 2 16GBs and a 4GB.

I now have 4 GB, 8 GB, 32 GB, and 64 GB cards. The smaller ones were from bundles.

Posted this on the SonyEU - 12 deals of Christmas 2014 thread:

It's happening EU VitaGAF. It's happening tomorrow O.O.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww Yiss

Was waiting for this to go on sale, RRP for a game thats a majority psp port with engrish isn't worth it.

Dracil

OMG... Joysound does not appear to be region blocked! And both the PS3 and PS4 versions run soooo much better than the Vita version.

Think I'll buy a ticket over the weekend and do a write-up. Only dilemma is there's a PS3-only 100 day special whereas the PS4 version is clearly superior...

Edit: what are the odds :lol

Wait the 100 day special only works on the PS3? I'm gonna be quite annoyed if true. I thought the ticket would work across both?

Zoe

Wait the 100 day special only works on the PS3? I'm gonna be quite annoyed if true. I thought the ticket would work across both?

Nope, it's a "comeback" special. Basically to reward people who lost the Joysound Dive service while waiting for this new one to come out.

And the tickets aren't cross-system, so you need to buy for PS4, PS3, and Vita separately.

“カムバックキャンペーン”として、期間限定のスペシャルチケットを販売!(プレイステーション3版のみ)

2014年10月でサービス終了となったプレイステーション3用カラオケソフト“JOYSOUND DIVE”を利用いしていたプレイヤーへの感謝を込め、“カムバックキャンペーン”を開催!通常より10日間お得にご利用いただける“100日チケット”を期間限定で3000円[税込]にて販売する。

autoduelist

Gamefly sales are inflating my Vita physical collection. Picked up Conception and Mind Zero recently, and Hyperdimenion Neptunia PP today. Not bad.

Man God just has some very rigid and strong opinions. No need to argue about it. Borderlands is the perfect example of trading fidelity for portability. Not much else to it.

I think the issue comes down to people using phrases like 'tire fire' to describe games that may suffer from some issues, but are perfectly playable to most.

It's brutal language, and I think people forget that people's jobs and livelihoods depend on how games sell. I hate seeing games like The Order get so trashed before anyone's played more than an alpha -- it really makes me sad for the devs who are doing their best to put out a solid game.

I'm not saying bug ridden games, or bad games, should get a free ride. Obviously they should be called out. But describing a game accurately, and giving a fair, if critical, review is one thing. Calling it 'shit' because of 'reasons' just lowers the bar of conversation.

VITA-GAF, help me. I am a teacher. I drive to work. =
3. In your opinion, what should I do?

Thank you.

I own a pc, ps4, and vita. Even at home, my vita is my primary device. Buy.

This year has been dismal for people who want a very specific but very popular brand of AAA game and there's a lot of indie/smaller team stuff "invading consoles", add that to typical year 1 console rocky starts/buyer's remorse/inflated expectations and I'm not too surprised. I know what you mean though. I try not to be too grumpy but I've probably added to it a bit myself honestly, a few topics really have gotten on my nerves

I can understand this, and it makes sense, but again, I don't think it's the fact that people are unhappy that's at issue, it's that so many people post such atrocious comments. I mean, I'm looking forward to Uncharted 4 as much as anyone. But it doesn't mean I'm going to call some indie game I've never even played 'garbage'.

SerTapTap

I can understand this, and it makes sense, but again, I don't think it's the fact that people are unhappy that's at issue, it's that so many people post such atrocious comments. I mean, I'm looking forward to Uncharted 4 as much as anyone. But it doesn't mean I'm going to call some indie game I've never even played 'garbage'.

Yeah some people are just fucking gross and can't stand indie "encroaching" on their AAA consoleboxes and can't seem to understand indies on console mean absolutely nothing at all for AAA (aside from potentially more ideas for them to steal--ahem, innovate--from). I usually just toss those people in the ignore bucket just like on Twitter.

When I think about it, it makes sense that a lot of these issues stem from people getting caught up in (very successful) marketing campaigns.
Good game with lots of marketing = GOAT
Good game with minimal/bad marketing = Under/Over rated
Average game with good marketing = fodder to argue about
Average game with no marketing = unheard of
etc.etc.etc.

You can especially see this when it comes to stuff like PSX, which is just glorified marketing. People get caught up in the marketing -> arguments ensue -> lots of feelings of investment in something they know little about -> inflammatory comments

That said, Man God's comments aren't a good example. He just states things in very strong terms lol.

incpdo

When I think about it, it makes sense that a lot of these issues stem from people getting caught up in (very successful) marketing campaigns.
Good game with lots of marketing = GOAT
Good game with minimal/bad marketing = Under/Over rated
Average game with good marketing = fodder to argue about
Average game with no marketing = unheard of
etc.etc.etc.

You can especially see this when it comes to stuff like PSX, which is just glorified marketing. People get caught up in the marketing -> arguments ensue -> lots of feelings of investment in something they know little about -> inflammatory comments

That said, Man God's comments aren't a good example. He just states things in very strong terms lol.
The good old times without internet and 0 knowledge of the gaming industry. We use to discuss which console has better games . not better marketing , investment or gaming design. We knew little about technical aspects. Know we all are gaming businessmans it seems and we know better. Right? Right? Nah.

Dracil

Nope, it's a "comeback" special. Basically to reward people who lost the Joysound Dive service while waiting for this new one to come out.

And the tickets aren't cross-system, so you need to buy for PS4, PS3, and Vita separately.

Ugh wow that's quite terrible.

bobohoro

The general feel and the atmosphere at the forum. Everything is a piece of crap, that game sucks, indies are not real games... You know the deal, basically what happens in any vita thread is filtering to any other type of thread.

I definitely agree on that, but I feel it's less the negativity and overall pessimism, that stuff in itself is fine and needed for discussions and different viewpoints. And even more so in a year when many things went wrong for big games and there is a reevaluation of gaming priorities going on with many gamers. But what kills this is the lack of a decent level of discussion, or willingness to really sit down and inform oneself. This gets worse when everyone, in typical social media fashion, tries to be the first witty post, the one controversial mouthpiece or is just there to shitpost and ruin other people's discussion.

Most threads see a stream of users getting their opinion out there solely on the thread title alone. There is no real reading involved, no external information, just the title and the first dumb thing one can think of. And afterwards everyone gets defensive over every little thing, most of the time it doesn't even involve them personally. But that is one of the main problems, most of the derailing and shitposting that is done in earnest, is done so because they lack the ability to distance themselve from a topic, to think outside their own narrow views and try to come to a conclusion that is not focused on their own personal needs, agenda or wishes. It's just Me! Me! Me! all the friggin' time without the intent to understand. This never results in a fruitfull discussion, but leads to frustrating circles of misunderstandings, sarcasm and blind anger. Posting for many has become a sickening fetish of selfdisplay, it is not about learning, engaging in interesting social discussion or getting to know other people and their values, it's a constant portrayal of one's inflated ego.

This is a universal issue, not one unique to GAF, or even internet boards. People do not like to have level headed, epistematic discussion. There are a lot of explanations for this, but generally my experience is that people 1) like to be right and 2) are too insecure to effectively cope with their beliefs coming under the scrutiny of others.

autoduelist

This is a universal issue, not one unique to GAF, or even internet boards. People do not like to have level headed, epistematic discussion. There are a lot of explanations for this, but generally my experience is that people 1) like to be right and 2) are too insecure to effectively cope with their beliefs coming under the scrutiny of others.

This is absolutely true, but imo Neogaf generally rose above most other forum conversations because they ban for shitposting, posting false info, etc, whereas many sites have people posting blatantly false information on a regular basis, either trolling, or ignorantly, or as a disinformation campaign.

I think us vita fans are more sensitive to it because, at least to me, it seems like shitposting vita threads isn't policed nearly as much as anything else. As a result, it seems like an unfriendly place for us, which is odd, because it's the reason many of us joined this site. It doesn't help that the vita thread first got joined, then communitied. I know I'm not the only one who dislikes visiting any vita thread.

ecurbj

This is absolutely true, but imo Neogaf generally rose above most other forum conversations because they ban for shitposting, posting false info, etc, whereas many sites have people posting blatantly false information on a regular basis, either trolling, or ignorantly, or as a disinformation campaign.

I think us vita fans are more sensitive to it because, at least to me, it seems like shitposting vita threads isn't policed nearly as much as anything else. As a result, it seems like an unfriendly place for us, which is odd, because it's the reason many of us joined this site. It doesn't help that the vita thread first got joined, then communitied. I know I'm not the only one who dislikes visiting any vita thread.
I remember after the PSX event. The Vita threads that were made in the Gaming section were pure flame bait. I peeked at one and saw it not going anywhere and just left it. I spend more time in this thread than any other thread on GAF. It's like a scape goat for Vita talk that I can't find anywhere else other than Reddit's version.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I think a lot of Vita fans on NeoGAF get a bad rap because of a few bad apples who were taking out their frustrations by posting unhelpful things in threads about other systems.

I do think some people in this thread are a bit too sensitive to certain things Vita related. Just enjoy what you have while you have it as this ride is coming to an end soon. Vita will eventually get a Dreamcast like following, for both good and ill. It's a swan song system.

bobohoro

Certainly true, I just wanted to point out that the negativity surrounding many discussions as of late isn't the main problem, it's the way it is presented by many. And then I slipped into a rant about the universal idiocy of humanity. ;)

I think a lot of Vita fans on NeoGAF get a bad rap because of a few bad apples who were taking out their frustrations by posting unhelpful things in threads about other systems.

I do think some people in this thread are a bit too sensitive to certain things Vita related. Just enjoy what you have while you have it as this ride is coming to an end soon. Vita will eventually get a Dreamcast like following, for both good and ill. It's a swan song system.

Yeah, this is my take on it, too. Honestly I think the Xbone gets more shit, but since it doesn't have the risk of suddenly being discontinued, there's less of a reaction.

That said, there are definitely a handful of people that just want to piss in vita fans' soup.

daxy

New to Sony systems (recently got a Vita) and I've been eyeing Final Fantasy VII and VIII with the sale going on at the moment. Haven't played either, naturally. Do these still hold up nowadays and is VIII worth picking up (instead of VII)?

New to Sony systems (recently got a Vita) and I've been eyeing Final Fantasy VII and VIII with the sale going on at the moment. Haven't played either, naturally. Do these still hold up nowadays and is VIII worth picking up (instead of VII)?

Nice change of topic LOL.

I would argue VII holds up worse on a graphical level, but better on a gameplay level. VIII is a bit hit-or-miss, but I think most people acknowledge that it's a top-tier RPG in hindsight (of the people that can be trusted to give a level headed opinion).
The vita is a pretty great system for playing old RPGs, due to the portable nature, good screen, and twinstick. Don't think you'll go wrong with any of the FFs or well-regarded PSX/PSP rpgs.

salromano

This is from the China PlayStation event. Anyone able to make out the logos I missed?

PS4

A Few Days Left
Arcade Archives
Room Escape (密室逃脱)
Xiangmo
Chariot
DriveClub
Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends
Entwined
Fishing Joy 3
Final Fantasy X | X-2 HD Remaster
Fluster Cluck
Gekiyaba Runner
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams Director's Cut
Guilty Gear Xrd
Hohokum
Against the Blade (逆刃)
Jetpack Joyride
King of Wushu
Knack
LittleBigPlanet 3
Kingdom Under Fire II
Mercury
Mr. Pumpkin Adventure
One Tap Hero
One Upon Light
Dark Blade: Mirage (影之刃:蜃楼)
Pinball Arcade
Rayman Legends
Robonauts
Rocketbirds 2 Evolution
Sherry Must Die
SteamWorld Dig
Switch Galaxy Ultra
Sword of Heaven (新苍穹之剑)
The Last Tinker
Trials Fusion
Trine 2
The Twelve Goddess (十二女神)
Velocity 2X
Warframe

PS Vita

A Few Days Left
Air Race Speed
Castle Conqueror V
Catsblock Vestival
Deemo
Entwined
Fairune
Fantasy Hero Unsigned Legacy
Farming Simulator 14
Final Fantasy X HD Remaster
Final Fantasy X-2 HD Remaster
Fishing Joy 3
Gekiyaba Runner
Glory of Generals V
Gunslugs
Heroes of Loot
Hohokum
Against the Blade
Jetpack Joyride
King of Wushu
Kyntt Underground
Mr. Pumpkin Adventure
One Tap Hero
Pinball Arcade
Rayman Legends
Robonauts
Rocketbirds 2 Evolution
SteamWorld Dig
Switch Galaxy Ultra
Sword of Heaven (新苍穹之剑)
Thousand Girls Transform (千姬变)
Toukiden Kiwami
Urban Trial Freestyle
Velocity 2X
??? (this one is too dark to see)
Zvolution

Omerta

Lttp but I just finished Tearaway...

For context - I left it so long because I didn't think the game was *for* me. I'm a 35 year old, father of two.

Tearaway is one of my favourite, most "complete" experiences that I've had on the vita and I want to reach out to the people who - like me - thought they wouldn't like the game.

Give it a try.

For context - I left it so long because I didn't think the game was *for* me. I'm a 35 year old, father of two.

Tearaway is one of my favourite, most "complete" experiences that I've had on the vita and I want to reach out to the people who - like me - thought they wouldn't like the game.

Give it a try.
I find it odd anyone would dislike the game. I mean, I don't think it's a masterpiece, but it's totally inoffensive.

daxy

Nice change of topic LOL.

I would argue VII holds up worse on a graphical level, but better on a gameplay level. VIII is a bit hit-or-miss, but I think most people acknowledge that it's a top-tier RPG in hindsight (of the people that can be trusted to give a level headed opinion).
The vita is a pretty great system for playing old RPGs, due to the portable nature, good screen, and twinstick. Don't think you'll go wrong with any of the FFs or well-regarded PSX/PSP rpgs.

Thanks, that's really helpful! I guess I'll start with VII and if I get into it I'll have a go at VIII. Don't really mind the graphics.

Yeah I got a whole bunch of interesting RPGs during sales the past months. Super happy to have bought Tactics Ogre on the cheap a while ago, I heard a lot of great things.

Thanks, that's really helpful! I guess I'll start with VII and if I get into it I'll have a go at VIII. Don't really mind the graphics.

Yeah I got a whole bunch of interesting RPGs during sales the past months. Super happy to have bought Tactics Ogre on the cheap a while ago, I heard a lot of great things.

If you haven't played IX, that's my personal favourite. Also remember to pick up Suikoden I and II since they just came out recently and are amazing.

bobohoro

I actually think that VII holds up the best of any PSone Final Fantasy, as long as you can look past the blocky character models. The gameplay pace is faster (loading times, battle speed, animations), there is less padding and the music is timeless. The story, while hindered by an inaccurate translation, is pretty interesting and still relevant. There are just so many memorable scenes in this game, but I am pretty biased here, since it's one of my all-time favourites and shaped my gaming preferences together with Lufia II and Breath of Fire III.

VIII is harder to recommend. Depending on which angle you want to come from it can be described as a masterpiece, allowing for great freedom in gameplay, spanning an epic romance across times. Or it's an utter failure with no real balance, ridiculous plottwists and gaping plotholes. I'm pretty torn on the game, I like many aspects, from its brilliant soundtrack to great background designs and the best damn card game out there, but the fact that I prefer to play it without random battles, ignoring half the cast and enjoy the story more for its shortcomings than achievments, that can't be ignored when I try to look at it more objectively.

Both are worth a shot, really, if only to make up your own opinion and engage in endless discussions about which is better. If you are in the EU, and care about Hz, be informed that those versions are the old PAL thingies, so 50Hz and black borders surrounding the screen.

I find it odd anyone would dislike the game. I mean, I don't think it's a masterpiece, but it's totally inoffensive.

Pretty much. While I enjoyed the idea and atmosphere, the game itself never really clicked with me and the whole experience didn't leave an impression on me. But I can't really see anything to actively dislike in it, only the failed potential to live up to some people's expectation, maybe?

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
I played Final Fantasy VII for the first time a couple of years ago and I managed to reach the final boss just fine. Once you get over the primitive graphics it's a fine game. Haven't played VIII but it's supposed to be a polarizing game.
And keep in mind that most PSOne Classics on the European store are (often crappy) PAL versions and the Final Fantasy games weren't optimized so they run 17% slower than the NTSC counterparts. But since you only own a Vita then there's not much to do about that.

kevin1025

Banned

Give it a try.

I'm finally picking it up tomorrow! Tomorrow is going to be good!

Yasumi

Banned
Yeah, this is my take on it, too. Honestly I think the Xbone gets more shit, but since it doesn't have the risk of suddenly being discontinued, there's less of a reaction.

That said, there are definitely a handful of people that just want to piss in vita fans' soup.
It feels like there's less knockback happening when somebody shitposts about the Vita, like it's come to be expected. The general consensus is that not everybody's going to like the Vita because it's a niche system, rather than the "You don't like it? What's wrong with you?" that happens with a few consoles. Though there has been plenty of "You like it? What's wrong with you?"

Pretty much every other system has a hair-trigger defense force that will try to dispel any bad PR as soon as possible. The Vita does too (guilty as charged), though it's not quite as active. The annoying thing is that these strongly opinionated people, who are seemingly unable to understand why somebody might like something else, tend to be the soup pissers. It just instigates console wars.

It feels like there's less knockback happening when somebody shitposts about the Vita, like it's come to be expected. The general consensus is that not everybody's going to like the Vita because it's a niche system, rather than the "You don't like it? What's wrong with you?" that happens with a few consoles. Though there has been plenty of "You like it? What's wrong with you?"

Pretty much every other system has a hair-trigger defense force that will try to dispel any bad PR as soon as possible. The Vita does too (guilty as charged), though it's not quite as active. The annoying thing is that these strongly opinionated people, who are seemingly unable to understand why somebody might like something else, tend to be the soup pissers. It just instigates console wars.

Yeah, you articulated the issue well. It's a handful of relatively small factors that end up creating a very unpleasant climate. I still don't understand how people can't get their head around the fact that portability is something some people value very highly. Comes up every time a new indie game is announced to have a vita version.

Omerta

I knew I wouldnt *dislike* it... I just didn't think that it would talk to me, if you know what I mean.

I'm finally picking it up tomorrow! Tomorrow is going to be good!

Enjoy. For me personally, it didn't really click with me until I was about an hour or so into the game.

Daigr

Give it a try.
Gonna pick this up on a sale. I figure my 3 yr old would get a kick out of seeing herself in the game.

Omerta

Gonna pick this up on a sale. I figure my 3 yr old would get a kick out of seeing herself in the game.

My 4 year old daughter loves it!

At first she was drawn in by the sun... By the end she'd worked out how the left analogue stick worked in relation to the character on screen.

Maedhros

PS4

A Few Days Left
Arcade Archives
Room Escape (密室逃脱)
Xiangmo
Chariot
DriveClub
Entwined
Fishing Joy 3
Final Fantasy X | X-2 HD Remaster
Fluster Cluck
Gekiyaba Runner
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams Director's Cut
Guilty Gear Xrd
Hohokum
Against the Blade (逆刃)
Jetpack Joyride
King of Wushu
Knack
LittleBigPlanet 3
Kingdom Under Fire II
Mercury
Mr. Pumpkin Adventure
One Tap Hero
One Upon Light
Dark Blade: Mirage (影之刃:蜃楼)
Pinball Arcade
Rayman Legends
Robonauts
Rocketbirds 2 Evolution
Sherry Must Die
SteamWorld Dig
Switch Galaxy Ultra
Sword of Heaven (新苍穹之剑)
The Last Tinker
Trials Fusion
Trine 2
The Twelve Goddess (十二女神)
Velocity 2X
Warframe

PS Vita

A Few Days Left
Air Race Speed
Castle Conqueror V
Catsblock Vestival
Deemo
Entwined
Fairune
Fantasy Hero Unsigned Legacy
Farming Simulator 14
Final Fantasy X HD Remaster
Final Fantasy X-2 HD Remaster
Fishing Joy 3
Gekiyaba Runner
Glory of Generals V
Gunslugs
Heroes of Loot
Hohokum
Against the Blade
Jetpack Joyride
King of Wushu
Kyntt Underground
Mr. Pumpkin Adventure
One Tap Hero
Pinball Arcade
Rayman Legends
Robonauts
Rocketbirds 2 Evolution
SteamWorld Dig
Switch Galaxy Ultra
Sword of Heaven (新苍穹之剑)
Thousand Girls Transform (千姬变)
Toukiden Kiwami
Urban Trial Freestyle
Velocity 2X
??? (this one is too dark to see)
Zvolution

Any new games there? If yes, hopefully some good ones will be released here...

autoduelist

I think it's hard for people who don't own Vitas to truly appreciate how great they are. There's so much negative propaganda out there (no games, Sony doesn't support, dead, indies, etc) that it's not like people expect to find out it's the best system they ever owned (like I did).

I bought one worried it would go in a cabinet like the rest of my handhelds have. I didn't expect it to click, let alone become my primary gaming console. I mean, I haven't even played my ps4 in a month and a half due to Binding of Isaac, and I've got a pile of new games to try (Evil Within, Aliens, Dynasty Warriors, CoD, plus ps+ games, geometry wars, etc).

All because of a little white system that lets me play whenever/wherever.

As for it being 'dead'... I think those obituaries are being written too soon. Plenty of indie devs have stated they're quite happy with vita game sales (our attach rate), and I don't see any reason why they'd stop making vita games when it's profitable to do so. The audience might not be expanding as quickly as Sony would have hoped (by a long shot), but the audience is buying, buying, and buying more.

That's not a dead system, it's a niche system. And a niche system that can move games will continue to get games. We just can't support aaa games.

That's not a dead system, it's a niche system. And a niche system that can move games will continue to get games. We just can't support aaa games.
I just REALLY hope Sony appreciates the difference. Thus far I'm not convinced, but PSX was a positive experience for that. A niche device can continue to get software that the owners will enjoy, and they'll keep selling slowly but surely.
My boyfriend is getting a Vita for Danganronpa and Project Diva games. My job is done.
Mission Accomplished, soldier.

Top Bottom