• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Plus Thread 2: How do I hold all these games?

Duster

I've never seen it as people who own a PC and can play the games, it's always been that people seem to refuse to play games on PC at all and only want a game when it comes to consoles. That's why I don't think it matters that much. I am someone who plays on PC a lot and yeah constantly getting stuff in PS+ that has been in a humble bundle for $1 is annoying, but I really don't think that is the vast majority of PS+ users, even on GAF.

Yeah the games being on PC doesn't help when I want to play them on a handheld.

Mr YuYu

Frozen synapse, binding of isaac, luftrausers and steamworld dig. Sounds Awesome to me!! Especially frozen synapse. So glad i didnt buy it! Hope its crossbuy too.

Lets hope its the same line up in EU!

Damn, 5/6 Vita games.

Trash? Really? You guys are fucking hilarious. If Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, Luftrausers, and Steamworld Dig are trash, I honestly wonder what bastion of excellence you would class as a "satisfactory" PS+ month.

Dantis

Really feels like they're scraping the bottom of the barrel with Vita and PS3, hot damn.

Steamworld Dig is great, at least.

I'm super excited for BoI:R. For those that haven't played the original, the game is notorious for sucking away large amounts of time from people. Anytime the game gets a mention on a news site, you’ll always get people in the comments talking about the hundreds of hours they’ve spent in the game. It’s a rogue-lite that plays similar to smash TV but looks like a dungeon in The Legend of Zelda. You enter a room, clear the room, and then move to the next room until you beat the floor boss and progress to the next floor.

The game has five major mechanics:
Randomness, discovery, risk-reward, progression, and difficulty.

Randomness: BOI is a rogue-lite series similar to Spelunky; each time you play, you start fresh in a randomly generated dungeon. Each floor has a set of rooms that are always there, including an item room, boss room, and shop; in these rooms contain the items (from an insanely large pool of potential items) you use to become powerful enough to beat the game. These items include more damage, health, or an actual effect on how your bullets act. Each attempt to beat the game is unique, with over 4 billion possible seeds.
Difficulty: The game is brutally hard, similar to Spelunky. The game is about getting better over time by learning room layouts, enemy attack and movement patterns, and how to play efficiently. Each time, with a mixture of good luck and skill, make it a little farther each time till you finally beat the game.
Progression: The game grows in difficulty as you get better. When the player hits major milestones, the game “unlocks” harder content that exists side-by-side with the original content. This includes new bosses and new/alternate floors that add variety and difficulty to the game. You also unlock more items, both good and bad. This means the number of possible outcomes grows as you continue to play the game, keeping it relatively fresh.
Risk-Reward: The game presents you with many choices over the course of the run with both positive and negative consequences. You’ll often be using forms or resource management to determine your decisions. For example, I’m low on health but there is a chest behind these rocks. Do I use one of my precious bombs to get to the chest, hoping for health? The chest could contain anything from a new item to enemies. There are rooms that trade health to enter, but you won’t know what is inside till you’ve walked through the door; do I risk ending my run earlier for a chance at a better item? There is a lot of divergence here in style of play as people put a different emphasis on what is important for winning.
Discovery: This is both the most important and least important part of the game. The game doesn’t come with a manual or tutorial; the items you pick up have very vague descriptions of what they do, and some of the item effects are very subtle. Part of the game is figuring out how an item affects your game. Some items are good and some are bad; some come with risks or increase the chance of hurting yourself. It is strongly recommended by the developer to not use a wiki and allow yourself to deduce exactly how an item works. Before the internet broke the original game open and saw the equations on how the items affect the game, there was a lot of myths and misunderstanding on how each item worked an interacted with the game. There is something really special about the mix shrewd economic efficiency you’ll play the game with mixed with a half-understanding of how the game even works fundamentally. You can spoil the game with a wiki and have a great time with it, but you’ll end up missing out on something that is quite magical and you’ll never be able to unring that bell.

For those have played the original but not kept up on the Rebirth’s development: The game has over 450 items (the original + expansion have 198 items), local co-op, a new engine with no slowdown and visual effects, over 50 bosses, larger rooms, an upgradeable shop, seeded runs, and “500 hours of gameplay.” Edmund has mentioned adding in Spelunky-like secrets for people to find and expects it will be some time till everything is discovered.

Either way, this game is particularly good value and is releasing as a PS+ game. I think people ignore how amazing this is as an option; you get the benefit of the early buzz and conversation around a game, but you don’t have to spend the premium price to get that. I’m so excited to start getting older AAA games, especially since I end up missing most of them, but these freshly released indie games add a huge value to my subscription. I’ll definitely be renewing it soon.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Binding of Isaac and Luftrausers? FUCK YEAH!

Plus continues to deliver. I would also say fuck yeah to Frozen Synapse Prime but alas it's not cross buy and I don't really like playing PS3 much anymore. Don't know enough about Hungry Horde or Steamworld Dig to judge those yet but we'll see. Escape Plan is the only clear weak game I see there, and I already own it. But yeah another great month.

Damn, 5/6 Vita games.

Trash? Really? You guys are fucking hilarious. If Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, Luftrausers, and Steamworld Dig are trash, I honestly wonder what bastion of excellence you would class as a "satisfactory" PS+ month.

Knack, of course. That'll make everybody happy, and we'll never hear complaints again.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I'm actually...fairly happy with this lineup, surprisingly. BoI is a strong GOTY contender for me, I've still yet to play SteamWorld but have wanted to for some time now, Frozen Synapse Prime looks interesting at the very least (although I'm awful at strategy so I probably won't play it much), have heard a lot of good things about Luftrausers, and Escape Plan looks mildly interesting but what the hell is up with the huge size (the PS Store says 4GB for the Vita version?!).

So yeah, at the very least I'll enjoy having BoI, Steamworld, and Luftrausers on my Vita. :D

Dantis

I'm actually...fairly happy with this lineup, surprisingly. BoI is a strong GOTY contender for me, I've still yet to play SteamWorld but have wanted to for some time now, Frozen Synapse Prime looks interesting at the very least (although I'm awful at strategy so I probably won't play it much), have heard a lot of good things about Luftrausers, and Escape Plan looks mildly interesting but what the hell is up with the huge size (the PS Store says 4GB for the Vita version?!).

So yeah, at the very least I'll enjoy having BoI, Steamworld, and Luftrausers on my Vita. :D

Escape Plan is the most mediocre game ever made. It looks pretty and has a surprisingly nice ending though.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Escape Plan is the most mediocre game ever made. It looks pretty and has a surprisingly nice ending though.
It was the touchpad crap that really killed the game for me. Stages required such precision later on but you cant really accurately judge where you're pressing. It pissed me off. Game sucked. I cant believe I chose to buy that crap instead of Super Stardust Delta back then.

Ponn

Banned
If Frozen Synapse is cross buy for Vita then this will be a great month for me. Was going to buy it at launch a month ago but viola, here we are. My rule pays off again.

Unless EU is different, it looks like there's no reason resubscribe. Been a while since I had a gap in my membership. I'm not really sure of the appeal of Binding of Isaac but it's cool to see people excited about it. Even if I'm not interested, I haven't seen a PS+ game that has people pumped in a while except for maybe Velocity 2x which was great.

BumRush

Well considering I am a Playstation user, it is relevant. I was stating why I am disappointed this month, even if the games aren't bad.

You know what he meant. Not every user has a PC / DS. If you aren't happy with the service don't use it...these threads could use a little housekeeping.

Can't wait for you all to get Knack so you can have a crappy retail PS4 game already. Or Injustice, since it's older than dirt but it's a retail game.

anything that can stop the uggggggggghhhhhhhh give me knnnnnaaaacccccckkk weird ass entitlement that happens in these threads every month. All of these games are pretty damn good but uuuuuugggggggggghhhhhh kkkkkkknnnnnnaaaaacccckkkk,

If we get a retail title could we get Assassins Creed 4 instead of Knack?

having played ACIV, it fits perfectly within the crappy-retail-game-that-will-stop-the-whining category that people hope sony will eventually attend to.

But really, given that ACIV is being bundle with XB1s this holiday and that Ubisoft have a comarketing deal with MS for AC, i don't see it happening.

Hm, I'm actually surprised at the lack of a ps3 retail offering this month. I don't have any of these games though, so I'm hyped to try them out. BoI especially.

Already have Steamworld Dig, but the Binding of Isaac? That's awesome. I barely played the steam version, but I watched the GiantBomb streams of this game, and can't wait to really get into it.

I've been slowly not even downloading the PS3 offerings, so whatever on those. I would've liked other vita games though.

FirmBizBws

Becomes baffled, curling up into a ball when confronted with three controller options.
I think I'm done paying for ps+. It was nice for a while, but when the ps4 came out we obviously got shafted. Giving is games that they had heavily discounted weeks before, lack of AAA titles, and basically flat out garbage across the board.

It was cute when we were actually paying money and getting something in return and fell in love with the service, but now that they "got" us, it's time to stop feeding them money every month.

Thanks playstation, way to betray my trust in you.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Did I mention how much shit PS3s PS store eats nowadays? I literally feel like taking my pants down and shitting all over the machine and then throw the shit-stained machine on the designers of PS Network. Every single fuck who works on that department needs to be fired.

89yejo2.jpg

Stuck at this screen everytime I try to log on to PSN. I have to press the power button in order to reset from this point. It's been like this for weeks, not being able to download anything. I've tried every solution out there, nothing works. I'm not the only one with these problems.

FIX. YOUR. FUCKING. SHIT. with the stupid amounts of $ you've got from PS4, you imbeciles.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Did I mention how much shit PS3s PS store eats nowadays? I literally feel like taking my pants down and shitting all over the machine and then throw the shit-stained machine on the designers of PS Network. Every single fuck who works on that department needs to be fired.

89yejo2.jpg

Stuck at this screen everytime I try to log on to PSN. I have to press the power button in order to reset from this point. It's been like this for weeks, not being able to download anything. I've tried every solution out there, nothing works. I'm not the only one with these problems.

FIX. YOUR. FUCKING. SHIT. with the stupid amounts of $ you've got from PS4, you imbeciles.

Every time i want to use the PS store from my PS3 it says that it's under maintenance, i can't even get to your screen. It's inexcusable but remember you can always use the web store which is what i've done since months ago, you don't actually need the PS3 store to download anything since i use my transaction list, still fucked up tough.

CradleOfMan

Neo Member

89yejo2.jpg

You're not the only one. I get the pleasure of exactly the same screen, only in English.

yamo

What's up with Binding of Isaac, is it some kind of roguelike? People seem to have a lot of love for it.
I remember trying it out on steam but I died and had to begin all over and I gave up on it, partly due to the graphics and art style not really being my thing... and no controller support.

Should I give it another chance?

What's up with Binding of Isaac, is it some kind of roguelike? People seem to have alot of love for it.
I remember trying it out on steam but I died and had to begin all over and I gave up on it, partly due to the graphics and art style not really being my thing.

Should I give it another chance?

Give it another chance. It's no longer in Flash and has nice pixels now. It's a zelda-inspired rogue-like.

yamo

Give it another chance. It's no longer in Flash and has nice pixels now. It's a zelda-inspired rogue-like.

Do you begin fresh every time you die or do you save some progress to make it a bit easier every restart? I love roguelikes where you save some kind of character progress.

You're not the only one. I get the pleasure of exactly the same screen, only in English.

Every time i want to use the PS store from my PS3 it says that it's under maintenance, i can't even get to your screen. It's inexcusable but remember you can always use the web store which is what i've done since months ago, you don't actually need the PS3 store to download anything since i use my transaction list, still fucked up tough.

89yejo2.jpg

Delete your PS Store app in the Ps3, then download it again by pressin it's icon, that should fix it.

impact

Banned
You know what he meant. Not every user has a PC / DS. If you aren't happy with the service don't use it...these threads could use a little housekeeping.
It's not like we have a choice with PS4....

Trust me if online wasn't locked behind it PS4 users would mostly abandon the service.

Jb

It boggles my mind that there are people out there that would have been happier getting Knack than games like Velocity 2X, Pix the Cat and Binding of Isaac. I just don't get it.

There is something truly perplexing in people putting games as varied as Isaac, Luftrausers or Velocity into the same generic "Indie" category.

I think I'm done paying for ps+. It was nice for a while, but when the ps4 came out we obviously got shafted. Giving is games that they had heavily discounted weeks before, lack of AAA titles, and basically flat out garbage across the board.

It was cute when we were actually paying money and getting something in return and fell in love with the service, but now that they "got" us, it's time to stop feeding them money every month.

Buh-bye now.

If you think all these fantastic games that we've gotten for free are garbage, then you won't be missed.

ZenaxPure

Do you begin fresh every time you die or do you save some progress to make it a bit easier every restart? I love roguelikes where you save some kind of character progress.

There is no permanent progress like say Rogue Legacy, but, the game does have a progression system of sorts. Completing various things in the game (like killing a specific boss for the first time, or beating the game with a certain character) causes new items to appear in future playthroughs. It might not sound too important, but, items are basically the most important part of BOI.

I don't see many people talk about it much, but one of the most (if not the most) interesting parts of BOI is the way items work. The vast majority of them are passive and they change the way your character functions in some way such as changing various aspects of your default shoot attack or altering your character's movement in some way. The thing is though, you can pick up an infinite amount of the passive items and the majority of them do not overwrite each other, instead the game is designed so that they actually interact with each other. A really simple example is the "Common Cold" item. It makes your default attack shoot shots that have a chance to poison enemies, straight forward. But then you can also pick up an item called "Technology" that replaces your default attack with a laser beam that shoots across the entire screen and pierces through enemies (which the default attack doesn't do). So in this simple example if you have both of those items instead of one disabling the other you now have a beam that shoots across the entire screen that also has a chance to poison. You can layer more items on top of that as well, it's not a simple 1+1 system, items will keep interacting with each other.

When you take into account that the game has hundreds of items (and Rebirth is going to more than double that number) you start getting into some really fucking weird combinations, some of which are actually negative so a part of the game becomes knowing which items you should grab and which you shouldn't. It's what makes people put hundreds of hours into the game, doing a run and seeing how far you can get and what crazy item combinations you will get.

Lastly I guess it's also worth mentioning, BOI is a very quick game for the most part. The dungeon actually has an end and it doesn't take that long to reach it when you get comfortable at the game (less than hour probably?). You are expected to actually win so it's not really about chipping away at progress a little each time. It's more about seeing if you can actually beat the game with the items that you find along the way (since it's always random).

Petrie

Banned

You're paying less than $5 a month. What trust did they betray?

Top Bottom