• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Plus Thread 2: How do I hold all these games?

Sarcasm

I'm from UK and got this mail about Nov PS+

GetAttachment.jpg

Got..anything much larger?

yamo

There is no permanent progress like say Rogue Legacy, but, the game does have a progression system of sorts. Completing various things in the game (like killing a specific boss for the first time, or beating the game with a certain character) causes new items to appear in future playthroughs. It might not sound too important, but, items are basically the most important part of BOI.

I don't see many people talk about it much, but one of the most (if not the most) interesting parts of BOI is the way items work. The vast majority of them are passive and they change the way your character functions in some way such as changing various aspects of your default shoot attack or altering your character's movement in some way. The thing is though, you can pick up an infinite amount of the passive items and the majority of them do not overwrite each other, instead the game is designed so that they actually interact with each other. A really simple example is the "Common Cold" item. It makes your default attack shoot shots that have a chance to poison enemies, straight forward. But then you can also pick up an item called "Technology" that replaces your default attack with a laser beam that shoots across the entire screen and pierces through enemies (which the default attack doesn't do). So in this simple example if you have both of those items instead of one disabling the other you now have a beam that shoots across the entire screen that also has a chance to poison. You can layer more items on top of that as well, it's not a simple 1+1 system, items will keep interacting with each other.

When you take into account that the game has hundreds of items (and Rebirth is going to more than double that number) you start getting into some really fucking weird combinations, some of which are actually negative so a part of the game becomes knowing which items you should grab and which you shouldn't. It's what makes people put hundreds of hours into the game, doing a run and seeing how far you can get and what crazy item combinations you will get.

Lastly I guess it's also worth mentioning, BOI is a very quick game for the most part. The dungeon actually has an end and it doesn't take that long to reach it when you get comfortable at the game (less than hour probably?). You are expected to actually win so it's not really about chipping away at progress a little each time. It's more about seeing if you can actually beat the game with the items that you find along the way (since it's always random).

Thanks for the explanation! That sounds pretty cool indeed, will try it as soon as I get my PS4 back from service.

NickFire

I am so disappointed in the PS+ offerings to date for PS4, and the thought of another month of only indie ish games in the 13th month sucks. I spent years jealous of the PS+ games when I was a 360 only gamer, and with all due respect to people who love what we've been getting, its not what I was expecting to be the only thing we would get during the 1st 13 months.

Throw us a bone Sony. Give us something better.

El_Cinefilo

Highly disappointing month for PS3 Owners like me

As someone who owns all three it's pretty great since I'm not expecting AAA PS4 and my Ps3 ones won't get used unless they're crossbuy (or maybe Arkham Origins or Beyond but I can't see us getting either of these) If I didn't have a PS4 yet though I can see how it's a bad month.

Slightly suspect that the announcement not happening for the first time also coincides with the first time since they started offering them that there isn't a single retail game on ps3 list too.

2thepoint

I'm glad I have 2 years of PS+ backlog, makes these past months of average offerings easier to take.

Ok, I have to admit that although I'm interested in the indie titles for PS4, the overall lineup on the appeal factor is awful.

I've been a member since 2012 or so and I have never seen the lineup so lacking - not even one retail PS3 game - that is pathetic at this stage.

Benedict

It's up

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth (PS4 | PS VITA)
Steamworld Dig (PS4 | PS VITA)
Frozen Synapse Prime (PS3)
Luftrausers (PS3 | PS VITA)
Escape Plan (PS Vita | PS4)
The Hungry Horde (PS Vita)

El_Cinefilo

Next two months on eu blog too

December

Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition
Secret Ponchos
More TBC
January

inFAMOUS: First Light
The Swapper
More TBC

KiraXD

hmmm even though i have none of those... its slightly disappointing this month... no full PS3 game... though im glad i waited on buying steamworld on ps4... its a small but fun little game.

It says they are coming the 5th?! Does this mean no BOI today?

what?

Coming to PS Plus starting today: The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, Steamworld Dig, Luftrausers, Escape Plan and more. Read More

Benedict

It says they are coming the 5th?! Does this mean no BOI today?

No, the 5th is in EU, think you mixed up the links.
US is this: All of these games will be free for Plus members starting today when PlayStation Store updates.

Happy/surprised to see First Light so quick on +. Just bought Second Son so that's dandy.
Injustice is one of the worst games I've played on PS4.

seabass0

It's up

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth (PS4 | PS VITA)
Steamworld Dig (PS4 | PS VITA)
Frozen Synapse Prime (PS3)
Luftrausers (PS3 | PS VITA)
Escape Plan (PS Vita | PS4)
The Hungry Horde (PS Vita)

So why the week long delay of the announcement, and why did they make the YouTube vid announcing these exact games private last week? What's going on over there Sony?

So why the week long delay of the announcement, and why did they make the YouTube vid announcing these exact games private last week? What's going on over there Sony?

Probably discussing if they wanted to reveal Dec & Jan PS + games. SCEE has revealed them but not SCEA. SCEE best region :p

seabass0

SCEE does seem to have the best communication. I'm hoping those games are also for SCEA too...looks like a good few months for PS4.

Joni

I'm guessing they have been spotting the comments on the amount of indie games so they decided to show they have big games coming up.

repeater

I don't really see why people with weird or extreme fetishes should feel bad about themselves. You're not hurting anyone, you're not doing anything illegal (except the loli thing, I guess, in some jurisdictions?), and you're not forcing anyone to do anything they don't want to do. Of course if it's making you uncomfortable or you feel like it's something that's interfering with your day to day life, then by all means look for professional help, but what I mean is I don't see anything inherently wrong about it. It's just a fantasy. It doesn't make you any more likely to hurt anyone.
I take it you're talking about people who want Knack on PS+?

autoduelist

There was probably just a contractual issue with one of the games or something -- could be something as stupid as someone signing the wrong date and needing to redo all the paperwork. But until [whatever stupid issue it was] got resolved, they couldn't officially post the list. People just like to freak out over stuff.

Super weird seeing the word "Metroidvania" on a sony platform.

SOTN came out on the PS1 and is considered one of the best metroidvanias. Guacamelee and Strider 2014 were also metroidvanias that came out recently. and then there are all of the recent batman games. Seems normal enough.

Top Bottom