• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Plus Thread 2: How do I hold all these games?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Thomas Was Alone was a 6/10 game(still far from being a turd) but Stealth Inc and Luftrausers? No way.

Honestly if I had to choose the worst PS+ games(I've played for more than 10 minutes, of cours) I'd say Escape Plan, Titan Attacks, LEGO LOTR Vita and Limbo. The former and the latter because they look great but play meh. Titan Attacks is a bad rehash of a classic game, Lego Lotr is just a boring, bad game, unlike the home console Legos.

I can't disagree with you. I found Limbo to be ok. Nothing incredible, but I could stomach it for a bit.
Titan Attacks is pointless, since we've already had a superior Space Invaders update. So it's a copy cat that brings nothing original to the table. Still...I can't delete that one since we don't have a Space Invaders on PS4.

Am I the only guy who loves Tower of Guns? It rules! Fuck Mercenary Kings though. Worst PS4 PS+ title so far.

Nah, I got all the trophies yesterday and it was enjoyable. Sadly I could (100% serious) make the framerate drop to 1 FPS. It also would have been much better with a unanked cheat mode. This last match I had 34 jumps and 30 speed and it was extremely fun. If I could start with that all the time I would probably keep playing the game forever.

VLiberty

I'm with you man, that game sucked ass. It tried to coast along on its whole "Look, even though they're only coloured blocks, you're still emotionally attached to them through the power of narration!" storytelling gimmick. But was it actually any fun to play? Was it balls.

Actually the gameplay was based on some good ideas, the problem was that the level design didn't manage to fully realize its potential. I felt like it were focusing too much on the story.

As I said it's not a turd, but hardly anything great.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck.

I don't know how it happened, but I missed the FIVE BEST PS4 games given out on PS+. Strider, Mercenary Kings, Towerfall, Pixeljunk Shooter Ultimate, and Binding of Isaac. I was incredibly busy between March and September, and I didn't have a PS4 at the time... so I guess I just let it slide.

The cost of just those games is $68. How are people complaining the game selection of PS+!?!? The only legitimate complaint I see is how the games aren't automatically applied to subscribers' accounts.

Edit - OR OUTLAST!? GAHHHH
Mercenary Kings is garbage, dude.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I'm with you man, that game sucked ass. It tried to coast along on its whole "Look, even though they're only coloured blocks, you're still emotionally attached to them through the power of narration!" storytelling gimmick. But was it actually any fun to play? Was it balls.

You reach a point where you ask yourself if you really give a shit if the triangle and square make it to the exit. Do you care enough to endure such boring gameplay in the most unexciting setting possible? My answer was no.

Mercenary Kings wasn't bad either. If you can endure the slog it had a lot of interesting bosses and areas. I plated that bitch, cause I had nothing better to do last spring.

I really liked Mercenary Kings. I would have preferred more levels and less objectives for each level to vary things up, but being able to customize your weaponry via collecting and using item drops gave some nice variety to the game. I was expecting something more like Metal Slug at first, but what it turned out to be was pretty cool.

There have been some really good games that I never would have played otherwise on PS4's PS+: Counterspy, Mercenary Kings, Resogun, Don't Starve, and Steamworld Dig come to mind. Don't Starve in particular I ignored on PC, but then I played it on PS4 and it might be one of my favorite games of the past few years.

Even some of the games that I didn't love had good aspects to them (Never Alone's documentary, Valiant Hearts's narrative and historical look at WWI, Contrast's creative puzzles and general look). I'm pretty happy with the PS4 output on PS+ so far.

Roto13

I played Mercenary Kings with a friend for like five seconds before turning it off because we couldn't see what the fuck we were doing with the tiny splitscreen.

I don't know how it happened, but I missed the FIVE BEST PS4 games given out on PS+. Strider, Mercenary Kings, Towerfall, Pixeljunk Shooter Ultimate, and Binding of Isaac. I was incredibly busy between March and September, and I didn't have a PS4 at the time... so I guess I just let it slide.

The cost of just those games is $68. How are people complaining the game selection of PS+!?!? The only legitimate complaint I see is how the games aren't automatically applied to subscribers' accounts.

One of the best releases of 2014.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I'm with you, Sunny. It's Metal Slug with crafting! How do you fuck that up? That seems impossible to fuck up. Yet they somehow managed to pull it off.

Metal Slug is fast paced, Mercenary Kings was slow as shit. And the missions were boring.

Sad, as I was really looking forward to playing it too.

Griss

I missed Outlast too, and crumbled and bought it out of a sense of completion. It's good, but not much more than that. About halfway through you get used to it and the fear of dying goes and the effect wears off. But it's definitely a fun game to try, so sucks that you missed it.

As for the others:
Strider - Deeply mediocre. I beat it but it was anything but memorable.
Towerfall - Terrible as a 1-player game. Never tried the much-loved multiplayer.
Mercenary Kings - Beautiful game, but horrible game design. Hated it, quit on it.
Pixeljunk Shooter Ultimate - Sheer bliss. Brilliant and inventive game. A joy.
Binding of Isaac - Legit went straight into my all time top 5 least favourites after putting 5 hours into it to see what the fuss was about. Not one single thing I like about it.

I'd pick up Pixeljunk. The rest you could probably safely avoid.

kiguel182

This thread really really is the worst.

A person comes here to see if there are any news about PS+ and it's greeted with people saying Thomas Was Alone was crap and asking for Knack instead of "indies". Every month the same story.

kiguel182

I missed Outlast too, and crumbled and bought it out of a sense of completion. It's good, but not much more than that. About halfway through you get used to it and the fear of dying goes and the effect wears off. But it's definitely a fun game to try, so sucks that you missed it.

As for the others:
Towerfall - Terrible as a 1-player game. Never tried the much-loved multiplayer.
Mercenary Kings - Beautiful game, but horrible game design. Hated it, quit on it.
Binding of Isaac - Legit went straight into my all time top 5 least favourites after putting 5 hours into it to see what the fuss was about. Not one single thing I like about it.

TowerFall is one of (if not the) best multiplayer games I have ever played. You are not supposed to play it solo.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

As for the others:

Safely avoid the 2014 GOTY Binding of Isaac. The fuck did I just read?

Also Towerfall is godly in multiplayer. Outlast was also all kinds of awesome. It just went on longer than it should have.

hawk2025

As for the others:

I fully respect your opinion, but "safely avoid" implies that these games are somehow an acquired taste that he's likely not to enjoy.

Binding of Isaac and Towerfall are widely considered to be all-time greats and excellent games, and everyone should give them a shot.

Three

You need good upload for that to even try, and great upload for no input lag.

Input lag isn't fun.

You don't need either of those things, the bandwidth requirement is low and does not affect latency. You need low latency, somebody in the same country would be a good start. It works pretty well as long as you don't try and shareplay with somebody on the opposite side of the planet.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Bring on the indies. Would not have played some of these gems otherwise. Most recently I finished swapper...the puzzles could get infuriating...but that's kind of what puzzle games are for dumb dumbs like me lol.

The atmosphere and story telling in that game were so good and made me soldier through despite sometimes taking hours to finish a single challenge room.

Best PS4 Plus Games:
Resogun
Velocity 2X
The Swapper
Sportsfriends
Stick It to the Man!
Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition
Valiant Hearts: The Great War
Fez

Worst PS4 Plus Games:
Mercenary Kings
PixelJunk Shooter: Ultimate
Road Not Taken
Titan Attacks
Secret Ponchos
Apotheon
Aaru's Awakening
Tower of Guns

Koh

Best PS4 Plus Games:
Resogun
Velocity 2X
The Swapper
Sportsfriends
Stick It to the Man!
Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition
Valiant Hearts: The Great War
Fez

Worst PS4 Plus Games:
Mercenary Kings
PixelJunk Shooter: Ultimate
Road Not Taken
Titan Attacks
Secret Ponchos
Apotheon
Aaru's Awakening
Tower of Guns

Are you me? I feel the same. I didn't think PJS was terrible, but it was too long for me.

You don't need either of those things, the bandwidth requirement is low and does not affect latency. You need low latency, somebody in the same country would be a good start. It works pretty well as long as you don't try and shareplay with somebody on the opposite side of the planet.

In your experience maybe. I can't host a shareplay at all, and when joining one with someone fairly close it has bad input lag.

Three

In your experience maybe. I can't host a shareplay at all, and when joining one with someone fairly close it has bad input lag.

Ok, but why do you attribute that to needing a high upload bandwidth from your experience? Latency is not affected by bandwidth as long as you are above threshold, which is fairly low. Especially for the game being discussed (Towerfall). It's latency that affects input lag, not bandwidth. I don't know about your specific network setup but you need to improve latency to improve lag.

As long as we don't get some average 2D indie side-scroller games, I might actually download the PS+ games next month.

I'm with you in hoping we start getting some games besides 2D indie side-scroller games. I've enjoyed some of those, but it has become an overload at this point. I prefer 3D games, generally, and would like more of those.

Boss Mog

Apparently Japan is getting Atelier Ayesha Plus on Vita in May. Any chance US and EU get this too? I have zero hope but maybe somebody in this thread wants to give me some.

Boss★Moogle;162011620 said:
Apparently Japan is getting Atelier Ayesha Plus on Vita in May. Any chance US and EU get this too? I have zero hope but maybe somebody in this thread wants to give me some.

I can't even imagine the USA getting that game. It'll never happen. To boot, I don't want to hear all the people complaining about "hentai-anime-loli-cutesy-shit."

Shizuka

Boss★Moogle;162011620 said:

Too soon. We'd probably get Totori Plus or Meruru Plus way before we get Ayesha Plus, that just came out a few months ago.

Boss Mog

I can't even imagine the USA getting that game. It'll never happen. To boot, I don't want to hear all the people complaining about "hentai-anime-loli-cutesy-shit."

There's a big difference between Atelier games and those "hentai-anime-loli-cutesy-shit" games so i doubt anybody would complain. I mean I wouldn't and I find those games gross.

Boss★Moogle;162014176 said:
There's a big difference between Atelier games and those "hentai-anime-loli-cutesy-shit" games so i doubt anybody would complain. I mean I wouldn't and I find those games gross.
Trust me, I know there's a huge difference. But we're talking about reactions where people will throw PS+ games under the bus for vague qualifiers like being "indie" or "2D." It's not a far stretch to imagine people seeing the cutesy girl aesthetic and lashing out.

Hexa

Konami needs to gain some good will right now so there's a pretty good chance they'll throw something big. Not MGSR because it already came to Europe. Thus MGS4 is definitely going to be one of the games.

lol

Top Bottom