• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Portal |OT| From WC with Love

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I am considering a PS Portal because I can only sit for short periods of time due to back/nerve issues. I have a PS5 connected via Ethernet with Spectrum internet service that provides up to 500mb down and 22mb up.
Is the upload speed sufficient?
I want to get ATT fiber, but it isn’t available in my area yet.

You only need a 15Mbps connection as per Sony brother.

The problem isn't so much the speed as A) packet loss B) Line noise C) number of connected devices on the same frequency D) people downloading/streaming while you're trying to remote play
E) channel congestion.

Give remote play a go on your phone/tablet/PC first and if the results are good, then you could give the portal a go - just be sure you're not sensitive to framedrops /stutters 'cause otherwise...

Cheers

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I remember seeing people saying you need to make sure your console is set to 59.97hz not 60hz to fix a lot of the microstuttets.

I’m not sure if you can even set that but has this been fixed?

Zathalus

I remember seeing people saying you need to make sure your console is set to 59.97hz not 60hz to fix a lot of the microstuttets.

I’m not sure if you can even set that but has this been fixed?
The stutters? No, they still exist on the Portal unfortunately. Changing the refresh rate of the PS5 doesn’t change that as the refresh rate change doesn’t impact the output of the video stream from the PS5.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
The stutters? No, they still exist on the Portal unfortunately. Changing the refresh rate of the PS5 doesn’t change that as the refresh rate change doesn’t impact the output of the video stream from the PS5.
What about unplugging the hdmi adapter from the ps5 that was also a rumored fix

Skifi28

What about unplugging the hdmi adapter from the ps5 that was also a rumored fix
There is no fix that I'm aware of. I've seen many of the usual forum "fixes" people swear by, but they usually come down to "if you run naked on a full moon while invoking the name of Jim Ryan" etc. I'm afraid only Sony can really fix it and they haven't even acknowledged the issue after a year.

Synless

I am considering a PS Portal because I can only sit for short periods of time due to back/nerve issues. I have a PS5 connected via Ethernet with Spectrum internet service that provides up to 500mb down and 22mb up.
Is the upload speed sufficient?
I want to get ATT fiber, but it isn’t available in my area yet.
Also keep in mind that many people who have a shit experience performance wise while using it in their home is because it will connect directly to the console first if it’s within range. If your connection to the console is weak because of multiple floors or distance, the performance is dog shit.

N30RYU

Also keep in mind that many people who have a shit experience performance wise while using it in their home is because it will connect directly to the console first if it’s within range. If your connection to the console is weak because of multiple floors or distance, the performance is dog shit.
What are you talking about?? It can't connect directly to the PS5 like if I remember correctly PSVita did wirh PS4... only via a router wi-fi.

Try and use the remote play app on a smartphone to see how it perforns before jumping and buy a Portal

Last edited:

Justin9mm

There is no fix that I'm aware of. I've seen many of the usual forum "fixes" people swear by, but they usually come down to "if you run naked on a full moon while invoking the name of Jim Ryan" etc. I'm afraid only Sony can really fix it and they haven't even acknowledged the issue after a year.
Unplugging the HDMI cable from either end of your PS5 and TV is a real fix for some people. There is a known bug that Sony is 100% aware of and has not fixed. I have a Sony X900H TV from 2020 and I spent countless hours scouring the internet for a solution because there was no issue on my end with my connection and no matter what I used, phone/TV/tablet to stream remote play, it would micro stutter/ intermittently freeze. Until one day I found a reddit post with someone with a Sony TV, they advised to go into the ethernet settings on the TV and activate 'IP Control' I think it's called which is a complete random setting and it 100% completely fixed the issue. There is something to do with the HDMI connection between the PS5 and TV and Sony refuse to acknowledge, they know it's an issue but won't admit it.

Last edited:

Synless

What are you talking about?? It can't connect directly to the PS5 like if I remember correctly PSVita did wirh PS4... only via a router wi-fi.

Try and use the remote play app on a smartphone to see how it perforns before jumping and buy a Portal

sorry, I meant to keep that other posters response as well. I only use my phone or iPad and it directly connects to my console. I can tell because it either tells me connecting to console or searching for connections over WiFi.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

I'm going to try the unplugged hdmi solution I don't believe it for one second as I believe it's an issue with e the hardware settings baked into the portal as In its a hardware li.itation for the cheap lcd they used.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Are there rumors of that?
I thought I read that Sony was “considering” it but that it wasn’t realistic as it would cannibalize sales of PS5 hardware.
I forget where but they said they were bringing it to other platforms at a later date. I think it’s time especially with ps5 Pro coming they lose money on console sales and make money on software sales.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Are there rumors of that?
I thought I read that Sony was “considering” it but that it wasn’t realistic as it would cannibalize sales of PS5 hardware.

They said publicly it will happen on the Portal, but it sounded like that would happen years from it's release.

SCB3

I picked one up yesterday as I'm currently living away from my home, and I gotta say, I am impressed! I managed to play a good 4 hours or so of RE2 Remake, SF6 and FF7 Rebirth and had issues once, that was doen in less than a minute, but I think that was the internet crapping out where I am

I also tried XCloud streaming via my iPad and even Gears of War was laggy as fuck, so for this to work close to flawlessly, consider me a fan - Do I dare grab Black Myth now?

mckmas8808

I picked one up yesterday as I'm currently living away from my home, and I gotta say, I am impressed! I managed to play a good 4 hours or so of RE2 Remake, SF6 and FF7 Rebirth and had issues once, that was doen in less than a minute, but I think that was the internet crapping out where I am

I also tried XCloud streaming via my iPad and even Gears of War was laggy as fuck, so for this to work close to flawlessly, consider me a fan - Do I dare grab Black Myth now?

That's awesome! I'm playing Stellar Blade on my Portal while at work at my desk job. It plays and feels great!

PanzerCute

I just bought one. I had to do quite a lot of tweakings to make things work properly but now I think I am OK. My only problem is with Hunt Showdown: a bit downgraded graphically and not smooth compared to playing on my TV.

I tried Wukong and I was quite impressed with the result. Not perfectly flawless tho, but still impressive and feels smooth compared to Hunt.

thatJohann

M4HP90j.jpeg
Played my new Portal while waiting at the doc. I get it now.

Kinda laggy altho totally playable. I attribute it to the doctor’s office WiFi guest network as it kept showing the poor connection icon in the top right. Anyway so handy to just pull this out my backpack and make progress on games.

I see the appeal now.

mckmas8808

M4HP90j.jpeg
Played my new Portal while waiting at the doc. I get it now.

Kinda laggy altho totally playable. I attribute it to the doctor’s office WiFi guest network as it kept showing the poor connection icon in the top right. Anyway so handy to just pull this out my backpack and make progress on games.

I see the appeal now.

It's so underestimated how cool it is to use the Portal in the exact way you did there. I was only able to beat Stellar Blade due to the Portal. I loved doing the boss fights on the TV, but some of the smaller stuff could feel a tad tedius in that game. And with a wife and a daughter, it was tough to find those 30 minutes to do the smaller stuff in Stellar Blade.

But with the Portal, I do that stuff while at work. Whip it out and play Steller Blade for 20 minutes at work super quick. Those quick burst of gameplay brought me back to the game and I love it! Being a dad and a husband means the PS Portal is a must for me!

leo-j

If they let you stream ps plus on wifi without the ps5, it would make it a game changer, I really hope they do, it should boost ps plus numbers (do t they let you stream to PC with ps plus premium right now?) And tbh $159.99 sub plus a $199 handheld is a huge revenue booster for them as well.

Top Bottom