• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation studios make the best gameplay/combat

Do you agree?

• Yes

Votes: 116 27.6%
  • No

Votes: 304 72.4%

• Total voters
I just finished my 2nd playthrough of the last of us 2, and had a thought recently while driving. That is that for all the talk about PS studios making walking simulators and movie games, (which I do think is partially true lately) these fuckers are actually kinda industry leading in gameplay. At least in modern times.

What games on the market have better combat than say Last of Us 2, Horizon, God of War, Ghost of Tsushima, Spider-Man? These games have outstanding combat. You have options, it looks great, it looks like you’re playing a cinematic, the animations are badass, it invites self expression and creativity, it feels satisfying. It’s amazing simply put. Even if we trace it back, Uncharted 3 and 4, Ratchet and Clank (any of em), Infamous 2 and Second Son, Killzone 2 and 3. All have fucking awesome combat. Who is even competing? The only ones off the top of my head that can match or surpass would be Bungie (Halo 1-Destiny 1), Fromsoftware, old Epic Games (Gears of War trilogy) and Old OG rocksteady with their GOAT free flow Batman combat. Even non combat we just had Team Asobi basically match goddamn Nintendo platform on their first AAA outing. This seems like the talent at PS first party studios is just next level

I mean what else is gonna compete? Ubisoft? No. Witcher 3? LOL. Tears of the Kindgom? Nah. Rockstar Games? Hmmm not quite. So despite aggressive wokeness and wannabe film/tv industry aspirations, do playstation studios actually stand at the pinnacle of the industry in gameplay when you get right down to it?

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
You’ll get laughed at. But yes I agree. Not even close really for me. They are the only studios that actually know how to blend combat, animation, presentation, and production values properly.

Most other studios completely ignore 2 or 3 of those things entirely. (FROM, Team NInja, Platnium, Nintendo, CDPRrojekt, Bethesda, Rockstar)

No one nails the entire package like Sony first party

Specifically the big 2 in ND and SSM

Last edited:
What games on the market have better combat than say Last of Us 2, Horizon, God of War, Ghost of Tsushima, Spider-Man?

Well, probably any fighting game.

You're being too broad in this; too many different genres with too many different forms of combat to attempt saying games in one specific genre type (narrative-driven open-world action-adventure third-person) are objectively the best at it :/

Hrk69

eaElnXh.jpeg

Shits on all those games.

Saber

Nah. As much I praise GoT, theres nothing much to it outside of cool style change, which sometimes felt alittle confusing since it's more about "type advantages" than actually using the style of combat that better suits your combat style. If one thing that it excels is on it's approach to defeat enemies. Most of them aren't revolutionary either, I love Spider-man but it's nothing more a Batman but a little worse. I wouldn't even use Uncharted aside from the first one, the rest it's what gave Sony it's cinematic experience nickname. Horizon it's an extremelly boring game, while LoU is waaaay to slow paced to be of any fun(if anyone can even find fun playing like a snail).

Cyberpunk pretty much wipes the floor with disctinctive gameplay and combat, thanks to it's netrunner builds that allows you some spicier combat out of the typical fps. Street Fighter 4 allows follow up combos, range to simple to advanced, which rewards the player who learns and trains. Batman literally wins everything Sony has to date with a perfect mix of combat and "Batman" style approach. Fromsoftware literally created a genre.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
J Jonah Jameson Laughing GIF

For real though, most of their games have competent or even good combat. Far from the best though. I maintain that this over-the-shoulder perspective in GOW that is there solely to serve the axe is stupid as fuck. It’s a mess playing such a fast-paced game with such a horrid camera system.

Last edited:

Zacfoldor

Huge Sony fan here, would not agree.

I won't go into each one, I'll pick the most controversial on here, Ghosts of Tsushima, because that is really the only interesting one from a hot take perspective. IMHO it is also the most popular of those games on this forum.

Ghosts had really good combat. However, the combat in Ghosts is much like the overall gameplay in BotW. It is mildly tedious and reaches a breaking point of it feeling "old" by the end of the game. The animations are "on rails" enough to prevent much organic combat, ie there aren't gonna be stories about how crazy things happened during combat or how you just missed a swing or something. It's all very "heatseeking" lock you in, 100% dependable animations, which imho is not ideal. Good combat needs randomness, a certain level of jank that adds instead of subtracts from the experience. At about the 60 hour mark it really starts to lose its luster but it does put on a good show up until that point. I've give the combat in Ghosts an 8.5/10

Now let me go back to another game, Nioh 2.

Nioh 2 has some of the best combat ever in a game and it only gets better and better up to an infinite number of hours. It is fully organic and changes flavors multiple times over the course of the game. By the end, you are a super sayin, at the beginning you are a helpless babe, and also there are just so many weapons and combat styles that you could play the game forever.

Ghosts of Tsushima is a great, amazing game. One of my favorites. However the combat isn't as good as Nioh 2 or Elden Ring or any number of other games I could mention. So no. Nioh 2 and Elden Ring both have better combat by far than Ghosts of Tsushima.

Gameplay at Sony has a very high standard, but they aren't the best at any one game.

Astro is almost Mario level that's true, but not quite. Next astro they clearly need to ad some dexterity to the little guy and give him some jumps. Mario has been evolving the micro controls in 3d mario games since mario 64, so I get just having the hover but they will improve this gamplay. However, astro is my goty. I would give the gameplay a 9.5/10 and a shining example of amazing Sony gameplay. No shade, Astro is legit and your point is bolstered by astro.

There is one game that I can wholeheartedly agree though. Believe it or not, Destiny 2 is still the best FPS gameplay out there imho. So yeah, Sony got it going on in the gameplay department with D2.

Last edited:

Ceadeus

Yeah they're very good. Sony Studios games combat mechanics are not complex though. They're made to be enjoyed by everyone. So they look incredible but easily mastered.

Capcom, on the other hand, always made the coolest game around which also require skills and learning curve. I can think of Dragon's Dogma 1&2 or Monster Hunter, a long time series who inspired too many Studios to count.

Capcom have been the best since the early Arcade era and nobody is ever gonna top them. They master multiple genre, from fighting, hack n slash, beat em up, third person shooter, action RPG, character action etc..

This Is Fine Video Game GIF by CAPCOM
Panting Video Game GIF by CAPCOM
Must Eat Hold Back GIF by Xbox

Last edited:
The Batman games stomp all over the Spiderman games in combat. It's not competition. I agree tlou is best in class, but that's about it.
Most Japanese devs ultimately beat out Sony studios. you are up against mgs5, dmc5 and final fantasy 7r, and nioh. It's not competition.
Oh no yeah I agree 100% with that first part. I think Batman curbstomps the Spider-Man games hard. And in many, many more ways than just combat and ill leave it at that lol

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Lol, no they fucking don't. The games from Sony's studios tend to be overly obsessed with animation, which comes at the expense of responsiveness. That's their MO. TLOU2, in particular, also had some of the worst encounter design I've ever seen in a game of its type - just absolutely annoying design that's a pain in the ass to repeat. I have no idea why I even finished that game.

I play most of my stuff on PS5 at this point, but I cannot stand almost all of Sony's output purely from a gameplay standpoint.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
They are among the best, much better than they are given credit for.

To deny that Returnal, Astrobot, Days Gone, Stellar Blade, Infamous, GOW, Spiderman, Ratchet and Clank or TLOU have excellent gameplay is dumb.

This discourse of "bad gameplay" is usually championed by Pikmins whose only idea of good gameplay is abusing turtles.
Bolded have extremely average gameplay.

Nah. As much I praise GoT, theres nothing much to it outside of cool style change, which sometimes felt alittle confusing since it's more about "type advantages" than actually using the style of combat that better suits your combat style. If one thing that it excels is on it's approach to defeat enemies. Most of them aren't revolutionary either, I love Spider-man but it's nothing more a Batman but a little worse. I wouldn't even use Uncharted aside from the first one, the rest it's what gave Sony it's cinematic experience nickname. Horizon it's an extremelly boring game, while LoU is waaaay to slow paced to be of any fun(if anyone can even find fun playing like a snail).

Cyberpunk pretty much wipes the floor with disctinctive gameplay and combat, thanks to its netrunner builds that allows you some spicier combat out of the typical fps. Street Fighter 4 allows follow up combos, range to simple to advanced, which rewards the player who learns and trains. Batman literally wins everything Sony has to date with a perfect mix of combat and "Batman" style approach. Fromsoftware literally created a genre.
I think we disagree on everything except the last paragraph. Fromsoft and Batman go toe to toe with, or just outright outclass most (all?) playstation studios gameplay

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
TLOU2 - Best Third Person Shooter combat thanks to fantastic shooting mechanics and equally good melee mechanics which are missing from 99% of FPS and TPS games. Only MGSV, RE2 and RE4 come close but dont have the melee moveset.
Days Gone - Best Open World TPS. So many weapons and abilities to choose from. Something completely lacking from other shooters. Hordes are the best damn enemy to fight against. RDR2 couldve learned a thing or two from this game's combat.
Spiderman - Worse than batman Arkham games, but still a lot of fun. Way better than other open world action adventure games from Ubisoft.
GOW - Best combat system in an action adventure game in the last 6 years. I'd say Sekiro, and jedi survivor come close.
Horizon 1 - Great combat. Probably the best bow and arrow shooter out there. Sequel destroyed the fun factor of the combat though in favor of build depth and mix max RPG bullshit.
Returnal - Best TPS mechanics since Max Payne 3. A lot of fun guns. Sadly, no real melee mechanics so feels limited in comparison to TLOU2 and Days Gone.
Ratchet - Fun but meh.
Ghost - Ended up really liking the combat. Not best in class or anything but definitely original and a lot of fun.

I'd say on a whole they are the best. Ubisoft sucks now. MS is mid at best. Gears and halo aint what they used to be and Hellblade 2 and Starfield were meh at best. EA barely makes video games now but I suppose jedi survivor could give GOW a run for its money but GOW is way better in terms of boss battles and setpieces.

Last edited:
TLOU2 - Best Third Person Shooter combat thanks to fantastic shooting mechanics and equally good melee mechanics which are missing from 99% of FPS and TPS games. Only MGSV, RE2 and RE4 come close but dont have the melee moveset.
Days Gone - Best Open World TPS. So many weapons and abilities to choose from. Something completely lacking from other shooters. Hordes are the best damn enemy to fight against. RDR2 couldve learned a thing or two from this game's combat.
Spiderman - Worse than batman Arkham games, but still a lot of fun. Way better than other open world action adventure games from Ubisoft.
GOW - Best combat system in an action adventure game in the last 6 years. I'd say Sekiro, and jedi survivor come close.
Horizon 1 - Great combat. Probably the best bow and arrow shooter out there. Sequel destroyed the fun factor of the combat though.
Returnal - Best TPS mechanics since Max Payne 3. A lot of fun guns. Sadly, no real melee mechanics so feels limited in comparison to TLOU2 and Days Gone.
Ratchet - Fun but meh.
Ghost - Ended up really liking the combat. Not best in class or anything but definitely original and a lot of fun.

I'd say on a whole they are the best. Ubisoft sucks now. MS is mid at best. Gears and halo aint what they used to be and Hellblade 2 and Starfield were meh at best. EA barely makes video games now but I suppose jedi survivor could give GOW a run for its money but GOW is way better.
My man :messenger_sunglasses:

Bolded have extremely average gameplay.

In the games I mentioned I'm not referring to the game loop but how tight it feels to control the characters. Spiderman and Ratchet feel great to play. If the game becomes repetitive or boss fights suck, it's a different design problem.
When compared to Ubisoft or even CD Projekt, I think they are better. Before RDR 2, Rockstar's gameplay wasn't a standout either.

Fahdis

I actually agree for once. I'd say they are the masters at animation and cinematic feeling blended into one. Capcom has the gameplay down to a fine sheen. Square has the anime feel to games be on point. Nintendo just does platformers better. Think some companies just do things in a more meticulous way than others.

hemo memo

You can't die before your death
I actually agree for once. I'd say they are the masters at animation and cinematic feeling blended into one. Capcom has the gameplay down to a fine sheen. Square has the anime feel to games be on point. Nintendo just does platformers better. Think some companies just do things in a more meticulous way than others.
Anime feel is Bamco and Level 5.

Top Bottom