• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation studios make the best gameplay/combat

Do you agree?

• Yes

Votes: 116 27.6%
  • No

Votes: 304 72.4%

• Total voters

DanielG165

I disagree pretty heavily. Even the likes of the 3D Ninja Gaiden trilogy, with its 3rd entry being over 10 years old at this point, all have gameplay, mechanics, and tech that absolutely and fundamentally trump anything that PS studios have put out in the last 10 years.

PlayStation exclusives are extremely competent, yes, with their heaviest hitter in terms of gameplay being GoW 2018. However, on a broad, macro perspective, they don’t have the best gameplay and mechanics in the entire video game industry lol.

RaduN

List of devs that make games with deeper gameplay and better combat than Sony's first party studios:

-Capcom
-Konami
-Koei Tecmo
-Bandai Namco
-Platinum Games
-Nihon Falcom
-Nintendo
-Treasure
-Sega
-Atlus
-SNK
-Vanillaware

List of devs that make games with shallower gameplay and worse combat than Sony's first party studios:

-Bethesda
Hahaha, so true

this just isn't true. You can turn on game journalist mode of you want but a game like Ragnarok or Horizon has depth and challenge if you want it. And nothing about say Returnal is what you describe. Even a game like Sackboy has some bite if you want to go for all the collectibles.

It's like there are the Sony games that exist, and then the idea that people have of them in their head, and they are two different games.

S0ULZB0URNE

You can’t because you couldn’t find a simple piece of information in 3 paragraphs. Basically 4th grade reading level.

But keep telling yourself it was a sloppy mess if it helps your ego
Keep trying to defend the mess instead of cleaning it up.

Anyway From Software is better than all of they're devs combined.

Vick

Gold Member
That's a pretty damn low bar. Outside of here, Resetera or the Playstation subreddit you won't find anybody listing nu GoW as one of the best beat em ups/hack n slashs of all time, it has way too many basic issues with its core gameplay.
This is such an unbearable load of crap... best western combat system by a literal galaxy a "pretty damn low bar".

Your previous, as hilarious as prententious comment, already made crystal clear you've never been even near this combat system, no point in doubling down now. Either that, or you're just openly manifesting how much you suck at games that aren't designed around button mashing. It's necessarily one of these two.

There, here's something that's not from GAF, Era or any PS subreddits (at this point drop the mask altogether and ask directly from comments out of XboxForums.com):

"It's about the skills, because alot of the time in DMC or Bayonetta you kind of button mash your way into victory, you can't do that with God of War. It's very much about the precision of what's going on around you, and because it's so tightly controlled, because it's so well designed, you're able to maintain that control the entire way through, and it's just absolutely brilliant."

"So those are the gameplay systems and you might think of what I just said and being "yeah okay that sounds okay".. I can't explain to you how good this gameplay feels."
- SkillUp

In the Ragnarok Review, he claimed God of War has his favorite combat system of any game, ever. SkillUp, the DMC, Souls and Bayonetta fanboy.

There's not a single flaw with the combat system, let alone "many basic issues". Systems execute to perfection everything they set out to achieve. As an antidote to your ignorance:

And it would cool if you could overlook the (deserved) confrontational tone of this comment, and your desire to simply disagree based on this or your personal bias or faulty preconceptions, and open the video I've linked. A video only covering the basics by the way, as a full and 100% exhaustive GoW combat breakdown couldn't possibly take less than 5-6 hours.

Game combat's nothing more than a mirror put in front of the player. You suck, combat suck. You're good, combat's good.

You're insanely skilled, combat rewards you and scales up with you. You're a literal superhuman? Combat manage to support and reflect that as well:

There's unfortunately no way to show this properly via recorded material, as you'd have to be familiar with the system controls yourself to properly appreaciate the extent player's skills impacts the game.

Your encounter won't look/feel as mine, and mine won't look and feel as GBG, with an infinite number of in-betweens. And it's that amount of possible in-betweens that makes it the purest embodiment of "depth".

To close, just in case your idea of a "basic issue" with the core gameplay would be parroting the extremely short-sighted "too close camera" sentiment, the topic was covered just yesterday in another Thread:

Main goal of God of War combat should be to make the player feel like a God (of War). Despite being given tools to get rid of hordes of enemies with ease in the blink of an eye and facing (coming out victorious) enemies 100 or even 1000 times bigger than Kratos, I don't remember ever feeling like a God of War in 13 God of War games before playing the 2018 one.
This shouldn't really make sense given how much more vulnerable you are in the new ones, so why is that?

Because for the first time, God of War 2018 puts you in the game, with systems, especially when played at GMGOW, requiring you to be constantly fully focused and engaged.
Preferring to press buttons and get rid of hordes of enemies in an instant in spectacular fashion is understandable (many praised action games do that), but other kinds of players might prefer to personally feel in the action, be given flawless controls and infinite amount of agency in every facet of the fight and actually earn that feeling of being a God of War, meaning once skilled enough to become a literal God (=master) of War (=combat).

What's the first rule in a brawl? Mind your surroundings at all times.
You don't, you deserve to get hit and make that no-hit power fantasy stop, because you're not being worthy of being called a God (=master) of War (=combat). Kratos would never get hit because he forgot he was fighting someone who's now behind him. And not only you weren't aware of your enemies at any given moment, you also missed the on-screen danger and Mimir indications? You need to go back to training, rookie.

And I know it could sound I'm being condescending but I'm really not. There's not a single combat system that's as satisfying to master at this to me, and its mainly because of its camera.
Personally, "styling" by button mashing to increase a combo number means absolutely nothing to me. My concept of "styling" is more starting the Muspelheim 100-enemy trial, slowly walking toward an enemy, dodging his attacks at the last second, destroying the living shit out of him, turn at the last second to shield parry the fire bullet coming from behind sending it back to its source, and then unleashing all hell as the rest of the gang closes in on me.

However, that being said, I want to point out that this doesn't fully apply to Ragnarok. Encounters in that game were not as maniacally polished as GoW 2018, and in part due to the introduction of so many new and different enemies the game legit felt confused (not confusing, but confused itself) at times, and actually made me wish for a further away camera in more than one occasion. Something I would have never asked for and actually resisted passionately in GoW 2018.

This is such an unbearable load of crap... best western combat system by a literal galaxy a "pretty damn low bar".

Your previous, as hilarious as prententious comment, already made crystal clear you've never been even near this combat system, no point in doubling down now. Either that, or you're just openly manifesting how much you suck at games that aren't designed around button mashing. It's necessarily one of these two.

There, here's something that's not from GAF, Era or any PS subreddits (at this point drop the mask altogether and ask directly from comments out of XboxForums.com):

"It's about the skills, because alot of the time in DMC or Bayonetta you kind of button mash your way into victory, you can't do that with God of War. It's very much about the precision of what's going on around you, and because it's so tightly controlled, because it's so well designed, you're able to maintain that control the entire way through, and it's just absolutely brilliant."

"So those are the gameplay systems and you might think of what I just said and being "yeah okay that sounds okay".. I can't explain to you how good this gameplay feels."
- SkillUp

In the Ragnarok Review, he claimed God of War has his favorite combat system of any game, ever. SkillUp, the DMC, Souls and Bayonetta fanboy.

There's not a single flaw with the combat system, let alone "many basic issues". Systems execute to perfection everything they set out to achieve. As an antidote to your ignorance:

And it would cool if you could overlook the (deserved) confrontational tone of this comment, and your desire to simply disagree based on this or your personal bias or faulty preconceptions, and open the video I've linked. A video only covering the basics by the way, as a full and 100% exhaustive GoW combat breakdown couldn't possibly take less than 5-6 hours.

Game combat's nothing more than a mirror put in front of the player. You suck, combat suck. You're good, combat's good.

You're insanely skilled, combat rewards you and scales up with you. You're a literal superhuman? Combat manage to support and reflect that as well:

There's unfortunately no way to show this properly via recorded material, as you'd have to be familiar with the system controls yourself to properly appreaciate the extent player's skills impacts the game.

Your encounter won't look/feel as mine, and mine won't look and feel as GBG, with an infinite number of in-betweens. And it's that amount of possible in-betweens that makes it the purest embodiment of "depth".

To close, just in case your idea of a "basic issue" with the core gameplay would be parroting the extremely short-sighted "too close camera" sentiment, the topic was covered just yesterday in another Thread:

Main goal of God of War combat should be to make the player feel like a God (of War). Despite being given tools to get rid of hordes of enemies with ease in the blink of an eye and facing (coming out victorious) enemies 100 or even 1000 times bigger than Kratos, I don't remember ever feeling like a God of War in 13 God of War games before playing the 2018 one.
This shouldn't really make sense given how much more vulnerable you are in the new ones, so why is that?

Because for the first time, God of War 2018 puts you in the game, with systems, especially when played at GMGOW, requiring you to be constantly fully focused and engaged.
Preferring to press buttons and get rid of hordes of enemies in an instant in spectacular fashion is understandable (many praised action games do that), but other kinds of players might prefer to personally feel in the action, be given flawless controls and infinite amount of agency in every facet of the fight and actually earn that feeling of being a God of War, meaning once skilled enough to become a literal God (=master) of War (=combat).

What's the first rule in a brawl? Mind your surroundings at all times.
You don't, you deserve to get hit and make that no-hit power fantasy stop, because you're not being worthy of being called a God (=master) of War (=combat). Kratos would never get hit because he forgot he was fighting someone who's now behind him. And not only you weren't aware of your enemies at any given moment, you also missed the on-screen danger and Mimir indications? You need to go back to training, rookie.

And I know it could sound I'm being condescending but I'm really not. There's not a single combat system that's as satisfying to master at this to me, and its mainly because of its camera.
Personally, "styling" by button mashing to increase a combo number means absolutely nothing to me. My concept of "styling" is more starting the Muspelheim 100-enemy trial, slowly walking toward an enemy, dodging his attacks at the last second, destroying the living shit out of him, turn at the last second to shield parry the fire bullet coming from behind sending it back to its source, and then unleashing all hell as the rest of the gang closes in on me.

However, that being said, I want to point out that this doesn't fully apply to Ragnarok. Encounters in that game were not as maniacally polished as GoW 2018, and in part due to the introduction of so many new and different enemies the game legit felt confused (not confusing, but confused itself) at times, and actually made me wish for a further away camera in more than one occasion. Something I would have never asked for and actually resisted passionately in GoW 2018.

You bout to make me reinstall Ragnarok 😭

I think the one shot camera gimmick is stupid. I find the writing merely passable. I think the exploration is stiff and claustrophobic but MAAAAN fighting dudes and monsters literally makes up for all of it. It’s THAT good.

DanielG165

That's a pretty damn low bar. Outside of here, Resetera or the Playstation subreddit you won't find anybody listing nu GoW as one of the best beat em ups/hack n slashs of all time, it has way too many basic issues with its core gameplay.
Oh it isn’t, and I would easily put the original trilogy over the modern duology in terms of gameplay. However, GoW 2018 is at least engaging on a fundamental level, and kept me playing even after the credits rolled.

No GoW games come anywhere close to Ninja Gaiden, DMC, or Bayonetta, imo.

Aldric

Yeah it is lmao, who cares about the "best western" anything? The japanese are by far the best at gameplay systems and mechanics and there are dozens of games that are better than nu GoW at combat, why would anyone care about something that is by any standards of the genre a total mediocrity? Am I talking to Phil Fish?

Your previous, as hilarious as prententious comment
There is no need to be upset

Either that, or you're just openly manifesting how much you suck at games that aren't designed around button mashing
You sound like chatGPT pretending to be a Dark Souls fan.

I don't know what these mythical "button mashing" games you keep referencing in your meltdowns are supposed to be but if you're talking about DMC and all the other games inspired by it the irony is amazing.

There's not a single flaw with the combat system
lmao

Man sometimes I wonder how it's possible that Sony can sell a Wii U gamepad for PS5 and make it a commercial hit and then I see posts like these.

Vick

Gold Member
Yeah it is lmao, who cares about the "best western" anything? The japanese are by far the best at gameplay systems and mechanics and there are dozens of games that are better than nu GoW at combat, why would anyone care about something that is by any standards of the genre a total mediocrity? Am I talking to Phil Fish?

There is no need to be upset

You sound like chatGPT pretending to be a Dark Souls fan.

I don't know what these mythical "button mashing" games you keep referencing in your meltdowns are supposed to be but if you're talking about DMC and all the other games inspired by it the irony is amazing.

lmao

Man sometimes I wonder how it's possible that Sony can sell a Wii U gamepad for PS5 and make it a commercial hit and then I see posts like these.
And, as expected, nothing to offer at all aside from another dose of ignorance wrapped into probable bias and certain arrogance.
You could have provided some examples of those "many issues" you found in McDonald's system, instead of asking others if they're Phil Fish while posting from the same exact self-righteousness and narcissistic driven unwillingness to concede you might have said a load of uninformed crap.
Or instead of mentioning ChatGPT while embarking on frail and generic superficial analysis on things you have no personal experience with whatsoever based on flawed collected data from suspect sources, causing amusement only to anyone who does have that direct experience as a consequence.
Or instead of mentioning "meltdowns" while debuting in this Thread with an hilarious post apparently triggered by an emotional response towards people praising games you never played.

You could have but, given you have no idea whatsoever of what you're talking about, you're fully aware they could be easily refuted in seconds leaving your posts exposed as the empty, salted ramblings that they are.

Last edited:

AW_CL

And, as expected, nothing to offer at all aside from another dose of ignorance wrapped into probable bias and certain arrogance.
You could have provided some examples of those "many issues" you found in McDonald's system, instead of asking others if they're Phil Fish while posting from the same exact self-righteousness and narcissistic driven unwillingness to concede you might have said a load of uninformed crap.
Or instead of mentioning ChatGPT while embarking on frail and generic superficial analysis on things you have no personal experience with whatsoever based on flawed collected data from suspect sources, causing amusement only to anyone who does have that direct experience as a consequence.
Or instead of mentioning "meltdowns" while debuting in this Thread with an hilarious post apparently triggered by an emotional response towards people praising games you never played.

You could have but, given you have no idea whatsoever of what you're talking about, you're fully aware they could be easily refuted in seconds leaving your posts exposed as the empty, salted ramblings that they are.
You're talking to a Nintendo fan who still firmly believes that Nintendo games are challenging in terms of gameplay.

Vick

Gold Member
You're talking to a Nintendo fan who still firmly believes that Nintendo games are challenging in terms of gameplay.
Well, to be fair some Mario levels, especially if you're a completionist, are indeed designed to be beaten by the crème de la crème of elite hardcore gamers.

Aldric

And, as expected, nothing to offer at all
Dude you think there's zero flaws in GoW's combat while being passive-aggressive about much better games, you don't even have the balls to directly talk shit about standouts of the genre and then you post Youtube vids that are supposed to replace actual arguments (which is exactly what I mentioned in my original post that made you so butthurt). There's nothing to engage with. Enjoy your mediocre moviegames.

Top Bottom