• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tailzo

I loved the short and sweet o! My Genesis vr for psvr. And it was so cheap too! Now I'm thinking about Tethered, but are the controls as good as in the former?

Chocolate & Vanilla

Fuck Strawberry
Because I am not interested in everything why should I play stuff I don't care about. Like I said I've done lots of research including what games to buy based on my own interests. No one should ever be interested in every single thing there is. I have tried most of what there is and also borrowed some games through 1 other friend who also bought PSVR but just could justify spending $$$ on those. If you carefully read my post my hunger for longer and more diverse games is not the point of what I was asking.

He was joking around with you because you haven't played his game. Lighten up dude.

Bulgar

Neo Member
Take it down a notch there, bud. We're all friends here.

But that's understandable; if you've played more than you've posted, certainly, you've got a much broader base from which to draw impressions from; I didn't see games like Thumper or Playroom VR, DriveClub, EVE, or similar titles among those you mentioned;

Now, you may be quick to point out that those aren't in line with your usual interests, but I'd recommend expanding them, a bit, to open yourself up to new experiences;

lastly, you have essentially binged on what could be made available for the PSVR launch window. keep in mind that many of the toolsets used didn't see themselves in their final, VR-optimized and friendly states until very late in the development and certification process; its too early in the game to start doomsaying.

Additionally, you're not going to see a plethora of announcements in the middle of the Christmas season - not from the publishers, that is, as many have product that they want to push NOW.

Didn't mean to sound confrontational my friends say I have an issue doing that.
Yeah I've definitely played others, like Thumper(the scarab beetle acid trip) as I call it. And have tried the demos to the ones you listed like Eve (which made me motion sick), playroom hunting ghosts with my gf and parking by the lake in Driveclub VR. My question was just "Gaf, What do you think the PSVR killer app is at the moment? What do you think a killer app for VR should be like?"
Most replies I have gotten however were just people taking my post the wrong way, I'm not trying to be a doomsayer, I'm just worried as a consumer and a fan of the tech.

EVE Valkyrie will have PS4 pro patch next week along with a new map, which looks great, and some gameplay tweaks. This is a free update.

Also, I watched Kind of Funny panel. Shu was on the panel, and he seemed pretty excited about PSVR.

From PSX, we got the following so far:

RE 7 demo - plays great and looks great
Rigs - a new playable map and rig types demoed
EVE Valkyrie - a new map, pro patch, and gameplay tweaks demoed
Dino Frontier - looks great; the same team also made Wayward Sky, which is a great game
Starblood Arena - looks interesting, but I am not sold on it yet
GT Sport - a VR track demoed

Jimmy_liv

What am I wrong about? Im not saying the tech isn't amazing... it definitely is.
Virtual Reality is the technology the PSVR system is based on. Killer app refers to software application developed for the system. This can be video games, or some sort of other experience but to be a killer app it has to make people want to get the system because of it. I understand people want PSVR because of the VR aspect and that's called innovative technology effect but it needs the software projects that utilize the innovative tech...and there has to be a breakout killer app for huge mainstream success. Basically PSVR needs its equivalent to Mario, Zelda, GTA, Halo - the system sellers.

edit:With new tech you can't let the hype die down and early adopters are the ones who drive the feeling of the system and I don't see a killer app for 2017 that has been announced yet. No I don't think RE:7 is it because I think people underestimate how many out there are not willing to play the horror genre and would rather watch others play instead.

Your right, a lot of people don't play horror games - me included - but I watched a play through of RE7 tonight on YouTube and then played through it.
I don't like jump scares but wanted to see what a AAA VR title looked like.
Wow! Blown away by it. Gfx were really really good (I'm on a pro). Atmos etc was spot on.

I wonder where that engine but powering something less 'shit your pants' could take us.

I'm actually tempted to buy RE7 and play it with my missus just because it's so damned good (despite hating horror)

Shoeless

My question was just "Gaf, What do you think the PSVR killer app is at the moment? What do you think a killer app for VR should be like?"

I think most people in this thread will probably agree that Batman has turned out to be one of the surprise must-plays for PS VR. It's even justified the cost of the Move controllers for some, when a lot of skepticism had arisen about whether they'd be useful at all when most people thought the DS4 would be fine for nearly everything.

The killer app for the future is probably going to be a shooter of some kind, since that's the most popular genre. It wouldn't surprise me if it's a cockpit game. I don't know if Ace Combat is going to be the one, but it's certainly got a shot if it the VR dog-fighting experience is solid.

I also wouldn't discount Dreams. If you haven't played with the Harmonix visualizer's VR easel tool, it's a transformative experience. Being able to draw/sculpt in 3D space using Move controllers is amazing and intuitive at the same time. If MediaMolcule brings their expertise to that arena, the results are going to be impressive.

Bulgar

Neo Member
I think most people in this thread will probably agree that Batman has turned out to be one of the surprise must-plays for PS VR. It's even justified the cost of the Move controllers for some, when a lot of skepticism had arisen about whether they'd be useful at all when most people thought the DS4 would be fine for nearly everything.

The killer app for the future is probably going to be a shooter of some kind, since that's the most popular genre. It wouldn't surprise me if it's a cockpit game. I don't know if Ace Combat is going to be the one, but it's certainly got a shot if it the VR dog-fighting experience is solid.

I also wouldn't discount Dreams. If you haven't played with the Harmonix visualizer's VR easel tool, it's a transformative experience. Being able to draw/sculpt in 3D space using Move controllers is amazing and intuitive at the same time. If MediaMolcule brings their expertise to that arena, the results are going to be impressive.

You bring up FPS and Farpoint may be really good (lets hope) becoming a must have game.
Ace Combat is not a full VR game, They will just have VR mission. I think the way they revealed it many thought the whole game would be VR.
I Do think the killer app may require the move controllers to be implemented exclusively.

Shoeless

You bring up FPS and Farpoint may be really good (lets hope) becoming a must have game.
Ace Combat is not a full VR game, They will just have VR mission. I think the way they revealed it many thought the whole game would be VR.
I Do think the killer app may require the move controllers to be implemented exclusively.

With Ace Combat, I'm going to wait on more information. I checked out the official website, and it does say VR Missions, plural, so I don't know whether that means it will be a mini-campaign just for PS VR, or whether they mean select missions from the main campaign will be included or what.

We'll have to see how it goes, but there was this statement from the developers about a year ago on their feelings about VR. Maybe they've scaled it back since then.

However, if virtually reality sounds like nothing but a headache to you, no need to fear. Counter to some recent reports, the game will not be exclusive to VR, and will be playable on the PS4 without a PlayStation VR headset. Kono likens the Ace Combat 7 experience to an ice cream sundae - "Everything like online mode and campaign mode is in the ice cream. PlayStation VR is going to be a topping."

Kono still maintains that the VR version will be the 'true' Ace Combat experience, but fans who simply can't stomach the tech won't have to do battle with motion sickness to enjoy a series that they love. He is, after all, thankful for all the fans have done for the Ace Combat series. "One brand that lasts almost twenty years is kind of an unbelievable thing," said Kono. "Because Ace Combat is beloved by all the fans, we're very pleased making the announcement of the brand new [Ace Combat] 7. That was possible because the fans supported us for this long period of time."

spwolf

EVE Valkyrie will have PS4 pro patch next week along with a new map, which looks great, and some gameplay tweaks. This is a free update.

Also, I watched Kind of Funny panel. Shu was on the panel, and he seemed pretty excited about PSVR.

Dino Frontier - looks great; the same team also made Wayward Sky, which is a great game

I might buy Eve as soon as Pro patch is released.

Otherwise, I have purchased way too many PSVR games and I did not even try some of them.

I am too of a chicken for RE7, but I guess demo will be tried. GT Sport is going to be awesome.

soloscout

Neo Member
On a vanilla PS4 and played the RE7 demo with my PSVR. One thing that's happening to me quite a bit is the whole screen keeps recentering. Kind of like the game is automatically re calibrating my head position for me like when you hold the options key. It creates a stuttering jumpy effect that's really nauseating. I jumped into Windlands and it's not happening in that game.

Anyone else dealing with this for the RE7 demo? I have all the VR safety wheels turned off in Options.

ryseing

I finally messed around with the Hulu app. Those folks have the right idea. I think I would enjoy cinema mode much more if there was something besides an empty void.

Lan_97

RE7 Demo controls feel really great. Plenty of options for everyone. After playing through multiple times at normal walking speed w/ max speed smooth turning, I'm convinced I want all of my fps games in VR. Not going to happen, but one can dream.

Bluecondor

Played the RE demo for the very first time and in VR and holy shit, this is a paradigm shift in gaming.

With the kitchen demo and other VR demos I was concerned about the graphics and thought maybe I'll buy the pro come January but the demo actually looks decent, it works for that kind of game.

Also that shit is so intense, didn't want to explore any further so I tried to get out at the first chance I had, fucking VR, too real.

I completely agree.

I just posted similar impressions in another thread:

"I just played the demo in PSVR.

The atmosphere is incredible. Even though you know it's a horror game, you really do feel like you are stuck in a house in which something/someone is going to come and get you.

I really felt like I was in the house and wanted to get the hell out of there before something/someone came after me.

It's very similar to the atmosphere in the PSVR Kitchen demo the first time you play it."

Bluecondor

Played the RE7 demo first thing this morning. I was really concerned at the initial walk around room setup the controls were terrible. Before playing I went into options and smoothed out movement. MINDBLOWN it was super immersive the only part that made me jump was the manequnin falling down.

Ya - the RE7 demo is incredibly immersive. You just have this sense of dread, and want to get out of the house.

In VR, just having a person in the house with you creates an impending sense of doom.

spwolf

thanks for the list.

Re7, Eve, Rigs and possibly GT Sport are all games that can offer a lot of game time.

PSVR is sold out on Amazon worldwide, in Europe it is sold out in physical stores and only major markets got it (Eastern Europe coming in late January 2017).

There are new games released every week on PSN, and a lot of them are good games. There is no lack of content in PSVR right now.

The Resident Evil demo made me sick, if only for a while... Controls are also a little weird and break the immersion for me - even if the game itself looks fantastic.

First time I'm unsure if I would play a game in normal or VR mode tbh.

kyser73

Because I am not interested in everything why should I play stuff I don't care about. Like I said I've done lots of research including what games to buy based on my own interests. No one should ever be interested in every single thing there is. I have tried most of what there is and also borrowed some games through 1 other friend who also bought PSVR but just could justify spending $$$ on those. If you carefully read my post my hunger for longer and more diverse games is not the point of what I was asking.

Here's a hint - the users with their names in red are mods, so try being less confrontational while you're still a junior.

Per your discussion - both killer app and system seller are dubious and poorly evidenced concepts. That you've no intention of replaying games like Rez is your issue, not one with the system. I've got a VR backlog because every time I put the headset on I replay Area X or Thumper & before I know it my self-imposed 90 minute session limit is done.

Try not to extrapolate your personal experience & choices into an opinion about the status of a piece of hardware without thinking about how other people might be using it, by reading the comments on this thread for example.

bumpkin

The Resident Evil demo made me sick, if only for a while... Controls are also a little weird and break the immersion for me - even if the game itself looks fantastic.

First time I'm unsure if I would play a game in normal or VR mode tbh.
I expected it to bother me, especially when sprinting full-tilt, but I was fine. Could be my "VR Legs," who really knows. I left the camera turning at the default setting.

Either way, I can't express enough how impressed I am with this updated demo in VR. The Kitchen from the demo disc was absolutely terrible from the standpoint of giving players an indication of the game's mechanics and visual quality. Hopefully the awareness is out there and PSVR owners who tried Kitchen give this a shot. It's like night and day. I will likely be playing the final game in VR after this experience.

It's kind of funny. Playing Beginning Hour non-VR, I was absolutely fearless about opening a door or walking down a hallway. In VR, I hesitated. Dare I say felt a bit of dread. It was weird, but so damn awesome!

just wanted to chime in an calm everybody down with all of this negative VR talk. I spent three days at PSX working my 'real' job with Yahoo Esports, but sneaking off whenever I could to work on my secret love, VR. I got to see enough of it up close and talk directly to enough developers to know that VR isn't forsaken, it's amazing, and you guys aren't ready for how awesome it's about to get on PSVR.

I did quite a few audio interviews and will post them (or try to give them to the DLC guys to run if they'll have them), but here are few things off the top:

Rogue One VR:
Some games look stunning and they're not even on PS4 Pro. Hands-on with the Star Wars: Rogue One demo was powerful. Had a great conversation with two of the guys from Criterion and they're beyond excited about VR. It was not only fun geeking out with them, but it was refreshing that they're as enthusiastic as we are about the stuff. They're not just shoveling out easy license stuff and giving it a little VR treatment. I've played EVE Valkyrie and the Call of Duty VR demo, but the Rogue One demo impressed me the most and by far. It's smooth, looks as good as Robinson The Journey, and easily has the best cockpit I've yet seen in VR. The detail and art direction in that thing is stunning. More than any of the current space ship VR offerings, this legit feels like you're in the ship. It's incredible.

Psychonauts:
At first I thought that it would be disappointing that there's no traditional 'locomotion' in the game. You don't move your character within a space as much as psychically 'jump' from body to body. You don't move limbs, either, so it's not so much Job Simulator as its a lot closer to The Assembly. An area that you in is 'the puzzle', but that about where the similarities end. Each mind that you jump into lets you see through that creature's eyes and is positioned at the perfect camera angle to take in everything you need in the environment. You move your head and use the Ds4 to interact with items, which would sound boring except the world is gorgeous and full of double-fine humor. Everywhere you look is packed with art that's meticulously designed. For example, one body jumped in had a comic book in front of him. It had a full 8 pages of illustrations and story, and was one of so many things to absorb within that area. Double fine played to the strengths of a seated-experience , and the game is better for it. What a wonderful surprise. Should be at the top of everyone's 'to get' list.

more incoming...

Bulgar

Neo Member
Here's a hint - the users with their names in red are mods, so try being less confrontational while you're still a junior.

Per your discussion - both killer app and system seller are dubious and poorly evidenced concepts. That you've no intention of replaying games like Rez is your issue, not one with the system. I've got a VR backlog because every time I put the headset on I replay Area X or Thumper & before I know it my self-imposed 90 minute session limit is done.

Try not to extrapolate your personal experience & choices into an opinion about the status of a piece of hardware without thinking about how other people might be using it, by reading the comments on this thread for example.

I gave the reason for why I felt the way I did and my opinion on the subject. I gave relevant examples of why I was asking the question and then I asked "what is PSVR's killer app and what should it be?" Most of our posts are part of a conversation and every post is mostly a person's thoughts on a subject. I think what I said was perfectly reasonable based on what I read through the thread and the numerous opinions that match mine if you read back from page one. I just think no one is willing to have a conversation anymore and everyone just tries to pick apart parts of a post and take things out of context.

shuhei yoshida?

about time eve got a patch. will wait for impressions but will probably buy it

just wanted to chime in an calm everybody down with all of this negative VR talk. I spent three days at PSX working my 'real' job with Yahoo Esports, but sneaking off whenever I could to work on my secret love, VR. I got to see enough of it up close and talk directly to enough developers to know that VR isn't forsaken, it's amazing, and you guys aren't ready for how awesome it's about to get on PSVR.

I did quite a few audio interviews and will post them (or try to give them to the DLC guys to run if they'll have them), but here are few things off the top:

Rogue One VR:
Some games look stunning and they're not even on PS4 Pro. Hands-on with the Star Wars: Rogue One demo was powerful. Had a great conversation with two of the guys from Criterion and they're beyond excited about VR. It was not only fun geeking out with them, but it was refreshing that they're as enthusiastic as we are about the stuff. They're not just shoveling out easy license stuff and giving it a little VR treatment. I've played EVE Valkyrie and the Call of Duty VR demo, but the Rogue One demo impressed me the most and by far. It's smooth, looks as good as Robinson The Journey, and easily has the best cockpit I've yet seen in VR. The detail and art direction in that thing is stunning. More than any of the current space ship VR offerings, this legit feels like you're in the ship. It's incredible.

Psychonauts:
At first I thought that it would be disappointing that there's no traditional 'locomotion' in the game. You don't move your character within a space as much as psychically 'jump' from body to body. You don't move limbs, either, so it's not so much Job Simulator as its a lot closer to The Assembly. An area that you in is 'the puzzle', but that about where the similarities end. Each mind that you jump into lets you see through that creature's eyes and is positioned at the perfect camera angle to take in everything you need in the environment. You move your head and use the Ds4 to interact with items, which would sound boring except the world is gorgeous and full of double-fine humor. Everywhere you look is packed with art that's meticulously designed. For example, one body jumped in had a comic book in front of him. It had a full 8 pages of illustrations and story, and was one of so many things to absorb within that area. Double fine played to the strengths of a seated-experience , and the game is better for it. What a wonderful surprise. Should be at the top of everyone's 'to get' list.

more incoming...

Psychonauts is certainly highly anticipated over here. Thanks for these impressions, looking forward to more :)

Hale-XF11

Psychonauts:

This is my most anticipated VR game at the moment, so I appreciate the impressions. Did you happen to ask the devs about a release date?

Bulgar

Neo Member

Appreciate knowing devs are supporting the system because I was personally getting worrying feelings about future software support.

So I've had PSVR for a little over 2 weeks now and I've been doing a lot of research and its getting me worried because I'm having very strong flashbacks to when I bought my Vita. Back then I was a strong defender of the Vita and would tell every naysayer that Vita has so many games coming out (listing them as an example to doom'ers because I really believed in it) and also called people crazy for calling it a failure so early. And Vita is a great system no doubt about it.

There are many people that keep saying "look at all the PSVR games coming it's gonna be the best thing ever" but out of all of those so called games there are only a handful that can be considered actual full games. Most titles available now are small <1hour tech demos and experiences and them so called games so far feel very shallow, and let me explain what I mean by that,

I have bought over 10 VR titles in the last 2 weeks: Batman VR, Holoball, Eagle Flight, How we Soar, VR wolds, Robinson, Rez, Rush of Blood, Job Simlulator, Bound

Most of those I have already beat in a combined time as long as an average 10-12 hr game. And I've become bored of replaying the same titles over and over again and have become hungry for content because I can see where it could lead. Most have one gimmick they run with but nothing really that takes you beyond that.
In addition seeing RE:7 being praised as the best VR experience I get worried and It reminded me of Gravity Rush on Vita and how I used to say it was a sign the Vita will be huge. I can't take horror personally so as a consumer I get even more worried because this game isn't even for someone like me and from personal experience a large number of people don't enjoy the horror experiences or can't really take them.

Seeing that only one game was announced during PSX and many games in development seems to be in purgatory right now I started feeling worried when I realized Sony 1st party support isn't there just like the Vita and I fear they didn't learn anything from previous mistakes. IMO the Vita failed because the killer apps weren't there to propel it forward.

I feel the honeymoon period over and I'm becoming more objective and beginning to see some red flags. Haven't actually touched my VR in over a week and I just realized that writing this.

]Question[: So I ask you gaf, What do you think the PSVR killer app is at the moment? What do you think a killer app for VR should be like?

curious post. With those games, you'll get more than a combined total of 10-12 hours. Thumper alone is hours of gameplay. You should get tethered. Easily 10+ hours. Amazing too.

If you've listed all those games and you don't think there's a killer app? Maybe its not for you.

Also the bolded bit is a lot of horseshit. Just saying.

Bulgar

Neo Member
curious post. With those games, you'll get more than a combined total of 10-12 hours. Thumper alone is hours of gameplay. You should get tethered. Easily 10+ hours. Amazing too.

If you've listed all those games and you don't think there's a killer app? Maybe its not for you.

Also the bolded bit is a lot of horseshit. Just saying.

I said most of the games not all of course. Robinson itself is pretty long and EE has a lot of replay. But Holoball, Batman VR, VR worlds, Bound, Blood Rush, all combined were definitely all 10-12 hours together accounting first play through. Point I was trying to make of why I am worried is that these are not considered full games by mainstream consumers and a full game killer app may be needed to be announced soon to drive interest up.

I really do feel looking at the store page that most are either considered experiences that are very short or small games bordering on tech demos. Stuff like the Martian experience are horrible for what they cost. And many of the full price games lack the exploration aspect VR is perfect for by being too constricting. This again is a problem with available resources. Imo if Batman VR was 8-10 hours long it would be the killer app people talk about.

Rogue One VR:
Some games look stunning and they're not even on PS4 Pro. Hands-on with the Star Wars: Rogue One demo was powerful. Had a great conversation with two of the guys from Criterion and they're beyond excited about VR. It was not only fun geeking out with them, but it was refreshing that they're as enthusiastic as we are about the stuff. They're not just shoveling out easy license stuff and giving it a little VR treatment. I've played EVE Valkyrie and the Call of Duty VR demo, but the Rogue One demo impressed me the most and by far. It's smooth, looks as good as Robinson The Journey, and easily has the best cockpit I've yet seen in VR. The detail and art direction in that thing is stunning. More than any of the current space ship VR offerings, this legit feels like you're in the ship. It's incredible. .

Is it wrong that reading that passage brought a tear to my eye?

FeD.nL

Looking forward to the Eve Pro patch! Did they give any details on what they upgraded, just resolution or also some extra graphical effects?

Any reports of those who own this, and have astigmatism? I only see one report in this thread, and part of the images being blurry.

Eve's IQ looked meh when I tried the demo unit over the summer. Is it better if you can adjust it yourself, and not a Sony Rep like at the demo stations this past summer?

*Splinter

RE7 Demo controls feel really great. Plenty of options for everyone. After playing through multiple times at normal walking speed w/ max speed smooth turning, I'm convinced I want all of my fps games in VR. Not going to happen, but one can dream.
Rigs

Unless you really really hate multiplayer, it's fantastic

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So I played RE7 some more, and surprisingly it twisted up my stomach again.

And there's one change they could make that would really help... a button to orient the player's body in the direction you're looking. So you don't have to swing the camera around to get your in-game body lined up with where you're looking. A re-center function, basically. This has been around forever, since the early days of 3D games, as a crutch devs used to help mitigate the frustration of primative camera systems. The industry was only just figuring out how to implement these new cameras, and auto-center was practically a necessity.

Playing RE7, I'm convinced it's similar. New tech, and devs are experimenting. RE7 without assists, smooth turning, is a pretty decent attempt. It's close, but for me, that auto-center function would really help. Because imo, even at 60 fps, the free camera is not smooth enough.

I think the future of VR, and these types of games, 60fps is bare minimum. I think a lot of the discomfort of free cameras is just... they're still too choppy. So I think VR in the future will require higher fps for free-camera games, where you look and move independently.

As for the here and now (where we're lucky to even get 60fps) I could use an auto-center. I think that's a pretty big omission in RE7 tbh. Also an actual animation for crouching would be nice -- current solution is weird feeling.

Gitaroo

The RE7 demo made me really sick and light headed. I dunno if its the TAA they use, smooth aiming leave tons of ghosting. By hardware this should happen so must be software side. I tried 30 degree turning, less ghosting but I do not want to play the game like that. Wish there is a aiming mode like rigs. Second problem I have with it is the extremely narrow fov. Its almost like I am looking with 1 eye. Even playing on standard tv, they fov is too narrow. I hope they add a fov slider for all modes. Third problem I have is the CA, I don't think any VR games should ever have CA. You are suppose to be immersed like you are there. Not looking through a lense. Anyone know where I can send the dev feedback?

Grinchy

Banned
So I played RE7 some more, and surprisingly it twisted up my stomach again.

And there's one change they could make that would really help... a button to orient the player's body in the direction you're looking. So you don't have to swing the camera around to get your in-game body lined up with where you're looking. A re-center function, basically. This has been around forever, since the early days of 3D games, as a crutch devs used to help mitigate the frustration of primative camera systems. The industry was only just figuring out how to implement these new cameras, and auto-center was practically a necessity.

Playing RE7, I'm convinced it's similar. New tech, and devs are experimenting. RE7 without assists, smooth turning, is a pretty decent attempt. It's close, but for me, that auto-center function would really help. Because imo, even at 60 fps, the free camera is not smooth enough.

I think the future of VR, and these types of games, 60fps is bare minimum. I think a lot of the discomfort of free cameras is just... they're still too choppy. So I think VR in the future will require higher fps for free-camera games, where you look and move independently.

As for the here and now (where we're lucky to even get 60fps) I could use an auto-center. I think that's a pretty big omission in RE7 tbh. Also an actual animation for crouching would be nice -- current solution is weird feeling.

Maybe I'm not understanding correctly, but isn't that in the game? I vaguely remember the VR tutorial letting you press up or down on the right analog stick to force the camera to center to where you are looking. That may be wrong. I just turn all that stuff off.

The RE7 demo made me really sick and light headed. I dunno if its the TAA they use, smooth aiming leave tons of ghosting. By hardware this should happen so must be software side. I tried 30 degree turning, less ghosting but I do not want to play the game like that. Wish there is a aiming mode like rigs. Second problem I have with it is the extremely narrow fov. Its almost like I am looking with 1 eye. Even playing on standard tv, they fov is too narrow. I hope they add a fov slider for all modes. Third problem I have is the CA, I don't think any VR games should ever have CA. You are suppose to be immersed like you are there. Not looking through a lense. Anyone know where I can send the dev feedback?
There's a setting in the Display options that I think turns off the peripheral blurring while turning. I actually ended up turning it back on when I felt just the slightest bit of wooziness when I had it off.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Maybe I'm not understanding correctly, but isn't that in the game? I vaguely remember the VR tutorial letting you press up or down on the right analog stick to force the camera to center to where you are looking. That may be wrong. I just turn all that stuff off.

Idk. I didn't try that -- would be great though.

Rogue One VR:

Psychonauts:

more incoming...
Very nice to hear. I never had any PSVR doubts. I know developing good VR games takes time and I'm pretty happy with the launch offerings. I don't see PSVR becoming the next Vita, VR is too big and important for Sony to fail like the Vita. Vita was always gonna fail, it was in a shrinking market of dedicated handhelds under siege from smart phones. PSVR doesn't have any of those problems, and I'm sure with time we'll get plenty of quality content for it.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Gitaroo said:
I dunno if its the TAA they use, smooth aiming leave tons of ghosting.
It's not TAA (or at least not 'just') they do temporal reconstruction similar to VR Worlds - with similarly poor results (lots of time resolution oscilates/dropping REALLY low, and even when it's 'optimal' - it's never particularly high to begin with (though using the flashlight to hide even more reduced-resolution on edges is a neat trick). And yea, ghosting just exacerbates things.
Still an improvement from the Kitchen demo though, not so much visual as in terms of handling actual VR.

Piichan

Banned
RE7 is pretty great in VR. Sure, graphics are better played on TV, but being able to look closely at stuff by putting your head closer to stuff is just so cool.

I freaked out when the family man locked me in and all of a sudden I was stuck with that monster. Great stuff.

The controls also work great. Smooth turning makes me a bit dizzy, but using the gradual turning system works surprisingly well. Excited for this game.

I demoed that Dino ranch game at PSX and it was a really quirky game. It's like some sort of tabletop game RTS where you pick up your little people and drop them into the woodshop, food processing building and other buildings to change their professions. You can make more units, including combat units and then make waypoints to go hunt dinosaurs. Dunno if there will be a competitive RTS mode but that totally sold me on an RTS with VR and move controllers. Trigger buttons let you pick up things and throw them or drop them and the B button let you rotate and zoom in or out the table.

I pretty quickly forgot I was in VR. Just seemed like I was in front of this tabletop RPG terrain board.

Philxor

Played the RE demo for the very first time and in VR and holy shit, this is a paradigm shift in gaming.

With the kitchen demo and other VR demos I was concerned about the graphics and thought maybe I'll buy the pro come January but the demo actually looks decent, it works for that kind of game.

Also that shit is so intense, didn't want to explore any further so I tried to get out at the first chance I had, fucking VR, too real.

Couldn't agree more. I played this last night and was barely able to get far into the VHS section before things even really kicked-off and my nerves were still absolutely frayed. The constant feeling that someone is behind me is unnerving, but wow- Capcom really seem to have absorbed everything that has gone on within the horror space over the last few years and have clearly put something very special together. It is clearly the first killer app with a more general mainstream appeal.

dazed808

Any reports of those who own this, and have astigmatism? I only see one report in this thread, and part of the images being blurry.

Eve's IQ looked meh when I tried the demo unit over the summer. Is it better if you can adjust it yourself, and not a Sony Rep like at the demo stations this past summer?

No problems for me, although I do have to have the visor as close to my face as possible to get a sharp image but not sure if that is down to the shape of my eyes or my face??

somme

I said most of the games not all of course. Robinson itself is pretty long and EE has a lot of replay. But Holoball, Batman VR, VR worlds, Bound, Blood Rush, all combined were definitely all 10-12 hours together accounting first play through.

But that's not taking into account the replayability factor. Rush of Blood may take less than two hours for a first play through of each level - but that's not including alternate routes, finding all of the collectibles and aiming for a top place on the online leaderboard.

You said you're not interested in leaderboards but others are, which will increase the games longevity. Those games may have only lasted you that amount of time, but that's not an indication of how long they'll last others.

Another thing is VR's social aspect. I never thought it would be such a great piece of hardware to play with a group of friends - it seems like such a solitary device. But I can't even count the amount of hours I've had friends over and we've all taken turns to play single-player games, including VR Worlds, and had a go a Playroom multiplayer.

Do you count these hours? I may not have been playing all that time but I've still been enjoying the hardware and experience with my friends.

Tailzo

https://psvr-reviews.com/2016/11/09/tethered/

Tethered's controls are pretty good. It's not controlled in the same way but if you liked O! My Genesis you'll probably love Tethered.

Thanks, I'm going to buy that. But for those that did not buy O! My Genesis VR:

uMatXn8.jpg

It's a fun short game, well worth the tiny price :)

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Tried the RE7 demo and managed about 30 mins before I noped out.

The positives.
Didn't feel ill.
Graphics look great.
Super immersive.

The negatives.
It's as scary as hell.

I'll give it another go when I've plucked up some more courage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom