• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeblow

PSX - PSVR Battle Report

Since I live about 40 minutes from Disneyland, I got a chance to play a lot of upcoming PS4 titles at Sony's grand show this weekend. Overall I had a blast, and everyone should go to one at least once if you have the chance. Here are my impressions of some PSVR games I tried.

For a bit of background, I have a PS4 Pro and a PSVR unit. I have most of the popular VR titles, so I'm already comfortable with the system does. Only Rigs so far is a game me noticeable queasiness (finished the tutorial only), but the rest of the stuff in my library I've been fine (including the new RE VR 1st Hour patch, but I haven't tried DriveClub yet). With that said....

- Gran Turismo Sport VR. This was the second PSVR game I tried at the show, but I want to address it first. After waiting in line for awhile to try it, we are able to see the glorious GT Sport graphics on display in the non-VR cockpits that Sony set up (and I do mean glorious). This game will be a visual wonder. The wait for the VR version was extra long because they only had four of those set ups compared to 12 for non-VR, and almost everyone wanted to try VR.

When it was my turn, I put on the headset and it started up. It is in cockpit view for the entire experience, unlike Trackmania VR (most times). Visually, GT:S VR is soooo disappointing. Jaggies everywhere, and not especially sharp looking, unlike Trackmania VR.

There are no other cars on the road in the demo, so I couldn't check that out, but everything about it was blah. I didn't feel queasy at all, even on the turns. The sense of speed on the straight-aways is weak, and with all the dumb assists turned on, I couldn't get a feel for the realism of its handling. Unless it improves drastically (it was not on PS4 Pro, I'm guessing), I will not get this game primarily for VR. It was my least favorite playing experience at the show.

Farpoint VR
I played Farpoint as soon as the opening conference ended, and I have to say, this game has fantastic potential. It offers a full, arcade-like solo FPS shooting experience with high-tier visuals wrapped up in the immersive greatness of virtual reality.

Besides the "you are there" in the environment wow factor, the first thing I noticed was the weird controls - there is no option to turn! you can freely move forward and back, and you can strafe left or right, but other than turning your head/body, you are facing forward the whole time. I'm not sure if this is how it plays in the final release, but I quickly got used to it, and there was not queasiness whatsoever. There's this one part where you walk alongside a thin edge of a mountain, and I can see some people scared of heights not wanting to look down.

I was able to try the game out using the upcoming light-gun peripheral you guys may have seen. It works just as expected, with all the necessary buttons set in logical spots. It's comfortable to hold, and aiming was very, very smooth.

Farpoint's gameplay is pretty straight-forward... move to the next area and shoot anything that moves with a variety of weapons. One awesome feature is how aiming-down-the-sights is just that with the new gun controller. When I raised it up to my eye while closing the other one, looking through the VR sight that matched the motion literally improved my aiming.

The demo ended with a humongous mega-monster bearing down on me, which suggest that the game will give us some dino-like battle experience that we crave. Overall, this was the best experience I had at the show.

Dino Frontier
This got my vote as the most pleasant surprise at PSX. I would not have waited in line to try it if not for a few positive comments I read in this thread from some who already did. Generally speaking, RTS is not a major genre that I play which is why it did not have my interest, but I'll dabble here and there. The chance to try it for free seemed like a no brainer, and it is now a day one purchase for me.

You are a mayor of a early settler town in the old west that is terrorized by dinosaurs wandering the surrounding wilderness. The perspective is that of a deity in that you float above the entire landscape as if it is played out on your table, but you are actually issuing orders as opposed to impressing them in how omnipotent you are.

In the end it's more accurate to think you are indeed the mayor making the major decisions for the people, like what shops to upgrade and what resources to gather by picking up a citizen and putting him in the right profession hut and/or work area. When there are dinos to capture or kill, you pluck them up again to strategically handle those situations. Both Move controllers are used as input, and it handles perfectly as hands in order to interact with the game, including panning and zooming in and out to see the action up close.

As boring as that seems in text, the VR aspect (along with the charming, cartoon graphics) adds a TON of appeal to the title. And again, I am not a RTS fan and have played plenty of VR games to not be easily impressed by this feature. Get this game!

~~~~

I tried some other stuff that I don't own on PSVR but is already available on the PSN store (like Robinson and the new RE demo). No need to add those impressions here. I'll end by adding that I'm disappointed Wipeout was not announced with VR support, but hopefully that changes sometime down the line.

antibolo

Banned
Why are you comparing Gran Turismo to Trackmania rather than Driveclub? That doesn't make sense, it's not even the same kind of racing game.

So... Farpoint is basically a rail shooter? Not that it's a bad thing per se, but many people were most likely expecting more.

Excuse me for what might be considered shilling by some, but I am curious and trying to gauge interest.

I have a VR game I'm working on for the Vive that is not a game in the traditional structure. It's more of an online interactive sandbox. There's a loose set of rules that keep a general flow of interaction and participation going with everyone on the server, but there's nothing in place to police those rules or penalize you for ignoring them altogether.

It's basically an online sandbox that has touches of social interaction experimentation in it. It also allows non-VR users to participate as spectators and screw around with the server.

I can't quite say exactly what it is just yet, but that should give you an idea for what type of experience it is. It has lots of motion control and "hands-on" object interaction and other player interaction.

Do any of you with a PSVR have interest in using your headset to play more relaxed or loose-structured social stuff? It has a heavy emphasis on voice chat and actual social interaction. Just trying to gauge if PSVR would be worth the devtime of porting this.

joeblow

Why are you comparing Gran Turismo to Trackmania rather than Driveclub? That doesn't make sense, it's not even the same kind of racing game.

So... Farpoint is basically a rail shooter? Not that it's a bad thing per se, but many people were most likely expecting more.

As I said in my write-up, I've never played DriveClub VR. So since I've played Trackmania VR (which looks extremely good on my PS4 Pro), I compared it to that. Maybe GT:S VR will be improved on the Pro, but right now it doesn't look too hot compared to anything.

majik13

Not my impressions above but I wouldn't say that. You can turn and move in any direction. Sticks only handled moving forward and strafing, so to turn is based on your head rotation, or view, to move to the right, you look to the right and press up on the stick to move forward in that direction, works pretty well, and alleviates nausea from stick based turning.

However, this has the issue, of how do you keep the player facing the camera, or reorienting to the camera? The demo I played several months ago, (and seems very similar to what the above poster played) had you warping to each encounter and I'm assuming for the reason to make the player recenter towards the camera. The rep said the warping was only for demo purposes, but you cant take reps comments as facts. The warp had tons of effects and animations, the whole world sort of materializes around you, so I doubt they'd do that for just a demo. And it seems to also serve the purpose of making the player turn back towards the camera.

Maybe in retail they will have more control options though?

Edit: I guess the demo I played the warping was just for demo purposes. And that the levels will just be pretty straight forward linear, but you are still able to turn and move off to the sides, etc.

Phaenos

I have astigmatism and wear my glasses with PSVR with no issues. The far edges of the image are slightly less in focus but I think that's how it is for everyone.

I also have astigmatism but only in my left eye. I wear the headset with my glasses on as well and have to admit that the left periphery of my vision is ever so slightly more blurry than my right with everything positioned correctly. No amount of adjusting seems to combat this, but the effect is so minor that as soon as I start playing something I completely lose focus of it and am entirely immersed.

Chocolate & Vanilla

Fuck Strawberry
Excuse me for what might be considered shilling by some, but I am curious and trying to gauge interest.

I have a VR game I'm working on for the Vive that is not a game in the traditional structure. It's more of an online interactive sandbox. There's a loose set of rules that keep a general flow of interaction and participation going with everyone on the server, but there's nothing in place to police those rules or penalize you for ignoring them altogether.

It's basically an online sandbox that has touches of social interaction experimentation in it. It also allows non-VR users to participate as spectators and screw around with the server.

I can't quite say exactly what it is just yet, but that should give you an idea for what type of experience it is. It has lots of motion control and "hands-on" object interaction and other player interaction.

Do any of you with a PSVR have interest in using your headset to play more relaxed or loose-structured social stuff? It has a heavy emphasis on voice chat and actual social interaction. Just trying to gauge if PSVR would be worth the devtime of porting this.

Quite a few have expressed a desire for a PS Home type of experience for PSVR. So a social sandbox sounds like it would be quite desirable for many here.

Probably not for me though but I'm not really your target audience as in general I dislike people, especially in video game related environments :p

ckohler

I also have astigmatism but only in my left eye. I wear the headset with my glasses on as well and have to admit that the left periphery of my vision is ever so slightly more blurry than my right with everything positioned correctly. No amount of adjusting seems to combat this, but the effect is so minor that as soon as I start playing something I completely lose focus of it and am entirely immersed.

Yeah. The only time I notice it is when I'm first putting on the headset and adjusting the fit using cinema mode. Once the game starts, I never notice it.

majik13

Yes definitely, I think a lot of people in this thread have said good things about the social aspect of SportsBar VR game. Also that social playground game that Sony showed awhile back at a conference looked really fun.

Yeah my thoughts exactly, not sure how Moves would work when you need to use sticks. Or how they would really benefit RE7 to begin with.

Sorry for any confusion. PS Moves aren't supported by RE7 apparently, which I could have discovered for myself before opening my yap. I don't have Moves and am not that familiar with their limitations, although having said that I vaguely know they don't have thumbsticks. Concerning doorways in RE7, I meant that I am not accustomed to walking my intimate personal space into them as a means of passage! Doubtless it's deliberate, it's just another way the game shreds nerves ...

*Splinter

Not my type of game, but for online games in general you need cross play with PC. I wouldn't trust a PSVR exclusive online only game to have a big enough user base to be playable. RIGS is only just there and that's as one of the highest quality games with the added advantage of being a launch game.

Not my type of game, but for online games in general you need cross play with PC. I wouldn't trust a PSVR exclusive online only game to have a big enough user base to be playable. RIGS is only just there and that's as one of the highest quality games with the added advantage of being a launch game.

Our intention would be cross-play, but logistics of that would need to be worked out.

*Splinter

Are Moves supported in RE7? And what do you mean using your head? I thought you just move towards the door, with the Right stick and it starts to open it.

Sorry for any confusion. PS Moves aren't supported by RE7 apparently, which I could have discovered for myself before opening my yap. I don't have Moves and am not that familiar with their limitations, although having said that I vaguely know they don't have thumbsticks. Concerning doorways in RE7, I meant that I am not accustomed to walking my intimate personal space into them as a means of passage! Doubtless it's deliberate, it's just another way the game shreds nerves ...
Huh? I've been pressing x (twice) to open doors. Didn't even know you could just walk into them.

Shoeless

I'm excited about it, but not so excited about having to play musical game installs to get Battlefront loaded onto my PS4. I really need to upgrade my hard drive. :(

Is this how it's going to work?

I have absolutely no knowledge of the actual technical details for the game, but for some reason I assumed that ownership of Battlefront was all that was required, and that it wouldn't need to be installed as well.

I assumed the demo was a stand-alone experience like First Light for Infamous or Left Behind for The Last of Us. I don't have ANYTHING to back that up, I just assumed it would go down like that.

majik13

Huh? I've been pressing x (twice) to open doors. Didn't even know you could just walk into them.

Maybe youre are right, but I think to open them fully, you need to walk through, and it puts your hand up and you push it more open as you walk forward. I only played it once so far.

Or maybe it depends on if the door is actually closed, or if they are only cracked open a bit.( I think the bathroom door might be like that?)

fronn

I think there's room for any new type of experience or a refinement on an existing type... one of the wonderful things is that the VR world is sort of uncharted territory, so if you think it's worth asking the question, then at this point the answer should always be Yes.

If you try to make something interesting and fun, then I think there's always room for it (and always should be), whether you succeed or not.

You can always release it on Vive first and then come back to it later if you are unsure on the dev time and extra costs. I would imagine if it can find an audience on Vive (and it's not something that needs Vive's ultra accuracy), then there's an audience on the PSVR as well.

*Splinter

Maybe youre are right, but I think to open them fully, you need to walk through, and it puts your hand up and you push it more open as you walk forward. I only played it once so far.

Or maybe it depends on if the door is actually closed, or if they are only cracked open a bit.( I think the bathroom door might be like that?)
I guess both options work, I just never thought to try sticking my head through anything.

Apologies if this has been asked and answered, I've googled and I couldn't find any info. Will the full game of RE7 be supported in VR or will it be another "VR Experience"?

Thanks in advance

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Apologies if this has been asked and answered, I've googled and I couldn't find any info. Will the full game of RE7 be supported in VR or will it be another "VR Experience"?

Thanks in advance

Full game, except a few scene transitions.
Like in the demo they cut the few seconds of you getting up off the floor in the beginning.

majik13

Thanks in advance

Full game. :)

I guess both options work, I just never thought to try sticking my head through anything.

Not sure your head does anything, walk through I meant, like pushing forward on the Dpad, and moving your character through. I think its X to open/unlock doors, but they dont actually swing open until you push your character through.

atomsk

Party Pooper

Just make sure to hire Handibot

bumpkin

Is this how it's going to work?

I have absolutely no knowledge of the actual technical details for the game, but for some reason I assumed that ownership of Battlefront was all that was required, and that it wouldn't need to be installed as well.

I assumed the demo was a stand-alone experience like First Light for Infamous or Left Behind for The Last of Us. I don't have ANYTHING to back that up, I just assumed it would go down like that.
As far as I know it's part of Battlefront, not a standalone download. I would love to be wrong, though.

dyergram

Just finished the resi vr demo. Hardcore playing the game this way will be a true test of manly/womanlyness. Scary as heck. Gpx are vastly improved from the kitchen demo (on pro) also was
one of the guys out the kitchen demo think the guy in the suit maybe?

Burglekutt

Just finished the resi vr demo. Hardcore playing the game this way will be a true test of manly/womanlyness. Scary as heck. Gpx are vastly improved from the kitchen demo (on pro) also was

Yeah. I took it as the Kitchen Demo is what happens directly after the vhs tape to the reporter and camera man.

Flandy

Media player got an update but all the patches notes say is
"Stability during use of some features has been improved"
Media player still useless for VR

Yes I'd be extremely interested in this but you need to include Move support for maximum fuckery.

darscot

Just play the RE demo and graphically it was great but the controls just didn't work for me. I just want to walk forward in the direction I'm facing. It didn't make me sick it just felt awkward. I really hope they update it or at least add the option to make forward relative to where you looking. Felt like I was always slightly off kilter.

Grinchy

Banned
Just play the RE demo and graphically it was great but the controls just didn't work for me. I just want to walk forward in the direction I'm facing. It didn't make me sick it just felt awkward. I really hope they update it or at least add the option to make forward relative to where you looking. Felt like I was always slightly off kilter.

Did you try changing any of the controls or did you just use the default ones?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I am so hyped for this, even if it will last probably last 5 minutes like the Call of Duty one.

I will stare at the two parts before the actual mission far longer than that. From what I've seen they should be amazing. Dat AT-AT.

darscot

Did you try changing any of the controls or did you just use the default ones?

I tried all the options but nothing I could find to make movement camera relative. Like if you standing still and turn your head to the right when you push up you don't go in the direction your looking. You move like a tank with the barrel facing right. It just felt weird, I want standard FPS controls or at least the option.

Fisty

Just played the RE7 demo in VR on the Pro. I made it upstairs to where the mannequins are and noped right out of there.

I already played through the demo at launch, and it still got me. I think I've made a terrible mistake pre-ordering the digital deluxe edition before the price hike.

soloscout

Neo Member
I got my RE7 demo stuttering sorted mostly. It was just head tracking issues that were never as apparent with other games. Played through it all now and it's simply amazing. I won't say it's not for the weak at heart, I think people really need to man up and show this game what they got. The fear dies down and you get more used to things if you keep pushing through. What other game can say it tests you and builds character to this extent?

In the Wipeout thread people keep saying if it was VR it would make people sick.

I would want a Thumper camera, not a cockpit view, and I think that would be fine.

Give the option for people to stick to the track or the craft as well and makes it even more accessible. I want the cockpit though, I know I can handle it already and the bounce of the craft will pose no problem, I also want to be able to barrel roll.

Daggoth

Definitely. If you crank the volume at the start of the Kitchen demo, the suited guy (Pete) calls you (the player) Clancy. Just takes part in a different area / house etc.

edit: forgot to say, I tried RE7 in VR! It made me feel a bit weird / sick but I'd attribute it to having no VR legs yet.
I started the demo, realised
the moldy door was no longer locked
, went NOPE F THIS and checked out the VHS tape instead, then aborted. I won't be able to do the full release I reckon :(

ballerusk

I'm downloading a version 1.10 (8,5GB) from the US store now, but it's going slow.

Edit: D'oh, and then for 1.11, I guess that's the one with the VR mission.

Edit 2: And the 1.11 update is 9GB! I haven't opened Battlefront for years it seems.

somme

Is the VR mission included in the Battlefront update (which is now up in the UK) or separately?

EDIT: I've just seen in the patch notes it's included in the patch.

Definitely. If you crank the volume at the start of the Kitchen demo, the suited guy (Pete) calls you (the player) Clancy. Just takes part in a different area / house etc.

edit: forgot to say, I tried RE7 in VR! It made me feel a bit weird / sick but I'd attribute it to having no VR legs yet.
I started the demo, realised
the moldy door was no longer locked
, went NOPE F THIS and checked out the VHS tape instead, then aborted. I won't be able to do the full release I reckon :(

It really is super fucking unpleasant. I had to go back and finish off Croft Mansion for a similar but infinitely less stressful experience. These exploration type games are a revelation in VR though. It's something truly new in the medium ...

Belker

The discussion of movement in Farpoint - and whether one could turn - reminded me of a cover shooter called Hybrid, where players would point at cover and fly towards it (slowly) while still being able to aim.

I wonder if something like that would work for PSVR. The slightly on-railyness, slowness and lack of twitchy movement might be good. Here's a video - some swearing.

Mendrox

Media player got an update but all the patches notes say is
"Stability during use of some features has been improved"
Media player still useless for VR

Yes I'd be extremely interested in this but you need to include Move support for maximum fuckery.

FFS fix this shit Sony. Since VRideo is gone, is there even a way to watch SBS 3D videos? Fuck this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom