• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Guys relax there are over 230+ developers making PSVR games and we only know of 190 PSVR games coming, we still have some surprises left, also PSVR games get surprises announced every week, we didn't know Crystal Rift was coming out last week nor RE7 VR Demo & Surgeon Simulator today. Besides its not like we are not getting games every week either. This week we get Werewolves Within and Star Wars VR and Next Week I Expect You To Die and Next Week Rollercoaster Dreams. This system is just getting started by the end of December it will have close to 100 titles released.

Have fate.

Surgeon Simulator VR for PS4 has been made known for quite a long while, and RE7 VR demo is just a demo.

Oh wait, my bad. Its seems to be a new game and will be releasing on vive and oculus in the next day or two. Still dont feel hype as it doesnt look much different from the previous surgeon simulators.

230+ developers making PSVR games and we only know of 190 PSVR games

Isnt this based on pre-launch period? I feel like these numbers will have lowered by now by a lot since there are already titles released.

I added to the craziness on the last page, maybe even started it. I just wish Sony had taken 5 mins to thank us, give us some sales numbers and then show a sizzle real with stuff in production even if they are way off.

PSVR is how I want to play games and I just want it to be supported

I added to the craziness on the last page, maybe even started it. I just wish Sony had taken 5 mins to thank us, give us some sales numbers and then show a sizzle real with stuff in production even if they are way off.

PSVR is how I want to play games and I just want it to be supported

This isnt e3.. Playstation experience isnt as big as other events

Ogni-XR21

Is it an improved version of the kitchen in terms of image quality?

Improved imo. The kitchen was still 'shimmering' with the light breaking in through the shades but other parts looked very good. But I also went in there with very low expectations after all the complaints and people getting sick at E3. And they added quite a few comfort options now.

Surgeons a separate game so now i own it twice.

RE7 demo might just be the last time i attempt a First Person VR games. Stationary camera or third person is all my stomach can take!

nampad

Some questions:

1. The new RE7 demo is the "Beginning Hours Teaser" and not an update to the "Kitchen demo"? I thought it was the latter but could not download any update.

2. Is the Hatsune Miku demo from the Japanese store the same as the one on the EU store?

3. Is there any other free exclusive on the Japanese store besides the Godzilla thing and Danganronpa?

4. Is there anything free and exclusive on the Asian PSN stores?

ArtHands

This isnt e3.. Playstation experience isnt as big as other events

the rate of game announcement is at a much lower pace compared to the game release for the PsVR since launch.

Considering the PSVR is the last out of the gate it should have every reasons to have a larger upcoming titles than its competitors but fact is that is not the case.

the rate of game announcement is at a much lower pace compared to the game release for the PsVR since launch.

Considering the PSVR is the last out of the gate it should have every reasons to have a larger upcoming titles than its competitors but fact is that is not the case.

Sounds like any other launch. Front loaded with games and then a slow down. I mean..theres at least one or two new VR games every week since launch. What else could you want? Did you expect Sony to tell you every VR game coming out week by week.

Sounds like any other launch. Front loaded with games and then a slow down. I mean..theres at least one or two new VR games every week since launch. What else could you want? Did you expect Sony to tell you every VR game coming out week by week.

In fact, I think that PSVR had a stronger start compared to ps3/ps4 launches and their first two months.

lt519

Stop with the sky is falling shit already. Watching gafers panic and get angry over stuff is getting old at this point.

Nope, basically my world is crumbling around me and I'm so angry I'm going to out and kick a random citizen in the balls because they didn't show a megaton at PSX.

Surgeon Simulator has the WORST tracking in any of the 27 VR games i own. So fucking annoying..hands constantly turn to skelton hands, cant pick anything up properly, things fall on the floor and they dont reset. Stay away!!

Greyvvolf

Surgeon Simulator has the WORST tracking in any of the 27 VR games i own. So fucking annoying..hands constantly turn to skelton hands, cant pick anything up properly, things fall on the floor and they dont reset. Stay away!!

I have to agree with everything quoted. I'm not sure why they released it in this state. It's a shame too because using the two Move controllers and playing in VR is how it's meant to be played. It feels so natural when it works but most of the time it doesn't unfortunately. Unless they somehow fix this with a patch I would advise not to buy it. Really disappointing because Surgeon Simulator could be one of the better PSVR games if the tracking worked properly.

ArtHands

we are not even in its 2 months. We shouldnt even see signs of slowdown or drought at all. And no it doesnt sounds like its competitors' launch which are regularly getting like 4 games per day. Many people has said that VR lack content, so 1 or 2 games per week is less than sufficient.

I have to agree with everything quoted. I'm not sure why they released it in this state. It's a shame too because using the two Move controllers and playing in VR is how it's meant to be played. It feels so natural when it works but most of the time it doesn't unfortunately. Unless they somehow fix this with a patch I would advise not to buy it. Really disappointing because Surgeon Simulator could be one of the better PSVR games if the tracking worked properly.

I tried 10 times to do level 1. I give up. Eveytime my hands turned to skeletons i started losing my mind. Plus your hands just randomly freeze in place for no reason.

we are not even in its 2 months. We shouldnt even see signs of slowdown or drought at all. And no it doesnt sounds like its competitors' launch which are regularly getting like 4 games per day. Many people has said that VR lack content, so 1 or 2 games per week is less than sufficient.

What competitor, the Vive and Oculus? They get a bunch of wild wild west proof of concept shit everyday, not actual game releases. If you are going to compare that than how upset do you get when 50 gamea appear of Steam Greenlight every week and us console peasants only get like 6 games on a Tuesday. There is no comparison to be made here.

Have you played everything on PSVR yet? If not then what the fuck are you crying about?

0racle

How is the motion sickness in RE7? Initial demos at previous shows had almost everyone sick, has there been improvements? How does it control?

Grinchy

Banned
RE7 was sweeeeeeet. Damn I can't wait for that game now. I immediately turned off the comfort bullshit, turned up the turning speed, ect. Felt perfect to me.

It actually looks way better than I was expecting. There were a few moments when I was sprinting into a new room where I noticed the slight change in textures from the LOD, but it was really nothing. Just awesome. I feel like playing this game without VR is going to be such a missed opportunity.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
How is the motion sickness in RE7? Initial demos at previous shows had almost everyone sick, has there been improvements? How does it control?

i turned off all visual guidelines and comfort features, and set the camera rotation to smooth (default is 20 degree jumps) - it was the first vr game i've ever played to make me nauseous.

certain movements, like turning your head and body while moving, are a big no-no for me. i got a feel for what kind of movements i could handle and took things slowly at first and played for about an hour without much problem. the feeling stuck with me for a long time after i took it off though. :p

it looks great, but im pretty disappointed that the vr mode removes all full-body animations and transitions with no option to enable them. this makes it a strict second-playthrough only feature for me.

i turned off all visual guidelines and comfort features, and set the camera rotation to smooth (default is 20 degree jumps) - it was the first vr game i've ever played to make me nauseous.

certain movements, like turning your head and body while moving, are a big no-no for me. i got a feel for what kind of movements i could handle and took things slowly at first and played for about an hour without much problem. the feeling stuck with me for a long time after i took it off though. :p

it looks great, but im pretty disappointed that the vr mode removes all full-body animations and transitions with no option to enable them. this makes it a strict second-playthrough only feature for me.

That's the only thing that bothers me in VR when you press X to do something is fades black does animation then comes back.

No nausea for me!

ckohler

Just played the RE7 demo. Exceeded my expectations. The graphics are a massive step up from the Kitchen demo. I'm playing on PS4 Pro, fwiw. Still, the lighting and ambience is really great.

I understand this concept now. It's like P.T. but in VR. Very intriguing, puzzle survival. While absolutely creepy, it was surprisingly light on jump scares. The motion capture is really great, also. I think this demo sold me on this game. Great VR setup tutorial. This should probably be the standard going forward.

As for VR comfort, I opted for the default comfort settings and played it twice with no issues. I increased the movement speed to "Normal" on the second play though and that was also fine. Turning on smooth turning would probably be a bad idea for most so I didn't even try.

Only one question though: is there more than one ending to the demo? All I can find is the "Bad Ending".

jrcbandit

I wouldn't advise turning on smooth turning in re7 without using anti nausea bands. It's barely tolerable with the bands, but I definitely prefer smooth turning for immersion purposes. Got the bad ending, now I need to work on the other two.

jrcbandit

what bands?

Something like this. I prefer ones with adjustable bands. You can also get bands that are elastic but you'd have to eventually replace them. They work by applying slight pressure to acupuncture points near your wrist, made for people who get seasick or sick on airplanes, but also work great for VR. Just follow the instructions for proper placement (like 3 fingers down from wrist).

Is there a new RE7 demo out or are people talking about the Kitchen?

Completely different demo. This was the original demo put out months ago for non-VR. It was updated today to now include new VR support and a new area with 2 new endings.

Experien

Something like this. I prefer ones with adjustable bands. You can also get bands that are elastic but you'd have to eventually replace them. They work by applying slight pressure to acupuncture points near your wrist, made for people who get seasick or sick on airplanes, but also work great for VR. Just follow the instructions for proper placement (like 3 fingers down from wrist).

Completely different demo. This was the original demo put out months ago for non-VR. It was updated today to now include new VR support and a new area with 2 new endings.

GOT IT! My PS4P didn't bother to DL the update until I tried booting up the game for some reason.

that shit does not work. scam. believe me, I am a physician

ArtHands

What competitor, the Vive and Oculus? They get a bunch of wild wild west proof of concept shit everyday, not actual game releases. If you are going to compare that than how upset do you get when 50 gamea appear of Steam Greenlight every week and us console peasants only get like 6 games on a Tuesday. There is no comparison to be made here.

Have you played everything on PSVR yet? If not then what the fuck are you crying about?

Its not true that there is no actual release on Vive and Oculus. Especially when probably 2/3 of PSVR library comes from them, and the remaining 1/3 being 1st party titles or big name title with hamfisted VR add on feature/mission (Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy etc)

PSVR remaining titles for the year,(bold are PSVR exclusives).

Werewolves Within
I Expect You To Die
Star Wars Battlefront Rogue One: X-Wing VR Mission
Rollercoaster Dreams

Fated: The Silent Oath
Pixel Ripped 1989
Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin
Radial G
The Modern Zombie Taxi Co.
VR Tennis Online
Lethal VR
Paranormal Activity: The Lost Soul
Headbutt Factory
Adventure Time: Magic Man's Head

These are upcoming actual game release (with release date) for rift/vive for the remaining Dec , list contain no experiences, no demo, no early access, no greenlight title
Werewolves Within
Dead Hungry
Arizona Sunshine
CRANGA! Harbor Frenzy
Street Champ VR
Pixel Ripped 1989
PLANNES
Stified
SwingStar VR
Alpine Ski VR
OneManVurgeR
Fastigium
Elena
Eagle Flight
Surrounded By Bugs!
HVR
Super Ninja Hero VR
Locomancer
Dragon Skies VR
QuiVR
Project Sansar
Paranormal Activity: The Lost Soul
Where's the Fck*ng Light - VR
Smashbox Arena VR
Mech Ace Combat - Trainer Edition
Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide
Unnecessary Violence VR
Irrational Exuberance
Snakes on an Extradimensional Plane

Flandy

I always thought Surgeon Simulator VR was gonna be an update to the original. I bought it months ago thinking it'd get VR support :\

Also Ace Combat 7 only having a small VR mode is a real punch to the gut :\ It's one of the titles I was looking forward to the most

jrcbandit

that shit does not work. scam. believe me, I am a physician

It worked for me and lots of other people. Part of the problem is people not putting them on correctly for the exact pressure spot. Of course it could all be a placebo effect, but does it matter if it actually works? I was getting nauseous in both Robinson and Rigs before I tried using the bands. Now I don't get any motion sickness as long as I keep the play time reasonable lengths.

BTW I am a doctor too if that even matters ;p.

Grinchy

Banned
I wouldn't advise turning on smooth turning in re7 without using anti nausea bands. It's barely tolerable with the bands, but I definitely prefer smooth turning for immersion purposes. Got the bad ending, now I need to work on the other two.

It definitely depends on the person. The game felt perfect to me with smooth turning.

23qwerty

The tracking is actually pretty good. It's just when your hands touch anything it goes into skeleton mode and feels like what happens in Job simulator when you lose tracking. They should just let your hands clip a little bit at least.

ArtHands

Lots of people are unhappy with surgeon simulator and asking for refund on psvr reddit

The tracking is actually pretty good. It's just when your hands touch anything it goes into skeleton mode and feels like what happens in Job simulator when you lose tracking. They should just let your hands clip a little bit at least.

Yes, this is what i meant. Thanks!
The hands definitely follow along with you pretty well but the window between picking up an item and skeleton hands is so small. I was even trying it one handed...i used my left hand to steady my right wrist and it still didnt work. Even tried standing up and playing, thinking maybe a better angle would work..nope!

I say this again and again but i really need to wait for impressions. Its just these games come out at the perfect time..always when my girl and i are sitting in front of the TV looking for something to watch. Then you get three strikes in a row..Robinson, Holoball and Surgeon.

I don't know what it is about RE7, the scale, the movement speed, the tracking... Whatever the hell it is, its almost PERFECT. This game is legit on PSVR (even on PS4 standard). This is exactly what I was waiting for, an entire, legit AAA title on PSVR. Capcom have seemingly nailed it here.

The PSX may have been a little lackluster, but its still early yet. If PSVR software keeps dripping out like it has been, and even if we have to rely on the indie/pc port scene inbetween, I think we are going to be alright!

RE7 made me a little sick...i just have a hard time with pie chart/head turning BUT it looks really good via a PRO.

PSVR graphics keep getting better and better.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
nampad said:
But yeah, Sony can't figure out how to do it...
Ok...ay... that's cute and all, but I literally said the same thing you did about racing in VR, so who are you arguing with here exactly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom