• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope there is some good VR content on sale today. I played Batman for the first time last night and, as expected, I spent 45 minutes voguing in front of the mirror and looking at the Nightwing model's butt. It's a shame that Batman and Robin are wearing capes!

Ew, I'm gross.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Wrote a nice long post about the things I tried.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=226667962&postcount=635

Boils down to this being the solution that works:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JJ5175Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Still have to move cables around but since they are extension cables you are never plugging/unplugging anything from the back of the PS4 or breakout box.

Has this hurt the quality of you VR or non-VR HDR video feed on "any" level at all?

muteki

Is the TV output while VR is in use supposed to have bad IQ? As I noticed just before that the PS menu is terribly blurry.

I have found that while certain games are running if you return to the home screen it will be blurry on the television. Not just a little blurry but obviously broken blurry. With other games it is fine. I think Battlezone is the one that does it for me.

I have very bad motion sickness. Spin me around a few times? I'm down for the count. Drive on a hilly road with lots of ups and downs? You better have the AC cranked and pull over half way through so I can settle myself. I've very happy to say I've had a total of 0 seconds of motion sickness while using PSVR. That was my only concern about VR. It is everything I've wanted it to be and more. I feel like i'm 20 years younger, spending a cold winter completely immersed in my games.

I'm exactly the same way, can't even look at my phone in a moving vehicle for long enough to check the time without feeling incredibly ill and I've had 0 issues with VR. The only times I feel a bit uneasy are in games with artificial movement like Battlezone/Rigs and even then I've found myself developing a tolerance for it as long as I make sure not to ever push myself. I basically play for as long as I feel comfortable then take a break and doing so has allowed me to spend longer and longer play sessions without ever reaching the point of feeling sick in the first place since I stop myself long before it comes to that.

Maligna

Banned
I hope there is some good VR content on sale today. I played Batman for the first time last night and, as expected, I spent 45 minutes voguing in front of the mirror and looking at the Nightwing model's butt. It's a shame that Batman and Robin are wearing capes!

Ew, I'm gross.

Hey I did the same thing. I've said before, who needs Summer Lesson when you have the Harley Quinn model/hologram in Batman.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
So you and Upload VR thoroughly tested the game by looking at an old trailer? And where exactly did you find bugs in the trailer?

Anyway, might just jump into the demo now and will post impressions.

That's the only trailer they have I believe.

Let us know if you will really suggest this game to anyone, good luck.

somme

I'm willing to give almost at game a chance (especially in VR) but even I turned my nose up at the Rollercoaster game. It looks truly awful.

my soapbox is about QUALITY over QUANTITY.

I'm not really sure what your point is:

Are you suggesting that there should be some process in place to stop the 'low quality' titles being released, or is it a more general point that it would be better if the overall level of quality was higher?

If it's the latter then I'm sure everyone would agree that it would be better if games were better, but it's a bit of a redundant thing to say, unless you're just having a moan.

If it's the former, then I'd disagree, because I don't think that it's either practical or desirable: Are you thinking that as well as the existing certification and QC processes (is it broken? will it make people sick?), there should be some subjective quality check ("sorry, but this committee has judged this game to be a 3/10 and therefore unfit to release")?

If such a process existed it would be a piece of bureaucracy effectively green-lighting projects that it felt met its quality standards, and rejecting everything else. That doesn't sound like a great idea to me.

I've played some shitty games and seen some shitty movies; that's just life. I feel there's enough commercial and regulatory involvement in the creative process as it is, without needing some new quality police in there preventing things getting made that I might not like.

Are you suggesting that there should be some process in place to stop the 'low quality' titles being released, or is it a more general point that it would be better if the overall level of quality was higher?

If it's the latter then I'm sure everyone would agree that it would be better if games were better, but it's a bit of a redundant thing to say, unless you're just having a moan.

If it's the former, then I'd disagree, because I don't think that it's either practical or desirable: Are you thinking that as well as the existing certification and QC processes (is it broken? will it make people sick?), there should be some subjective quality check ("sorry, but this committee has judged this game to be a 3/10 and therefore unfit to release")?

If such a process existed it would be a piece of bureaucracy effectively green-lighting projects that it felt met its quality standards, and rejecting everything else. That doesn't sound like a great idea to me.

I've played some shitty games and seen some shitty movies; that's just life. I feel there's enough commercial and regulatory involvement in the creative process as it is, without needing some new quality police in there preventing things getting made that I might not like.

We need the Official Nintendo Seal of Approval to come back ;)

Lan_97

Probably would have bit on SuperHyperCube and Fruit Ninja at $15/$10 respectively. Ah well, I'll just wait until 50% or more on each.

irkutsk12

Neo Member
Hi,

I've got some update on Bound's camera patch. I see that there are a lot of you waiting for it and I'm thankful for that :).
Unfortunately due to various events we missed our December spot and because of Xmas break at Sony we should exit from FormatQA in the beginning of January. Expect the update around second week of January :(. Sorry for that....
But to leave you with some good hopes for that patch, here's the teaser video that I assembled today:

http://twitter.com/plasticdemo/status/811220997516967936

I think it's worth to wait a bit more :). Also the demo will be released together with that patch!

Hi,

I've got some update on Bound's camera patch. I see that there are a lot of you waiting for it and I'm thankful for that :).
Unfortunately due to various events we missed our December spot and because of Xmas break at Sony we should exit from FormatQA in the beginning of January. Expect the update around second week of January :(. Sorry for that....
But to leave you with some good hopes for that patch, here's the teaser video that I assembled today:

I think it's worth to wait a bit more :). Also the demo will be released together with that patch!

That's unfortunate, but thanks for the update and all of the communication you have been sharing. It's much appreciated. Thanks for the patch and for the AMAZING game.

Hi,

The camera in this video looks great! This, plus a demo, means Bound is going to be required playing for everyone with PSVR.

No need to apologize for the delay. Game enthusiasts like us are used to delays and are usually happy to wait a little longer for a quality product. Really looking forward to it :) Happy holidays!

Kyolux

I like it on my iPhone, but not biting at $15. I'll wait for a sale.

I think the grace period is ending, regarding expensive, short experience for most of us. 2+ months of buying games because they're in VR and accepting that VR tax for modest experiences is pretty good. But from now on, I know I'm only getting games I'm gonna get my money's worth.

kinggroin

Banned
I wrote a review for Lethal VR: https://psvr-reviews.com/2016/12/20/lethal-vr/ (Suffice to say I strongly warn against a purchase!)

I also have ones up for Rez Infinite and Crystal Rift. Got one for Batman coming as well.

Fuck. That's scathing.

Sucks to hear it's sloppy on PSVR. This was honestly some of the best arcadey fun I've had in VR in while. It's basically a much more varied version of Hogan's Alley (NES) mixed with the fun of a shooting range (but again, varied in objectives).

Though you mention tracking issues, I honestly don't think having perfect tracking and room scale would move it from a 3/10 to a 7 or 8 - sounds like the content just isn't compelling to you.

Also, you didn't mention some of the gameplay mechanics required to achieve high scores.

Things like doubling or trippling up on bullseye knife throws, or shooting the red bullseye marks on targets without missing (giving you combo multipliers) or if you shoot both SMGs into one target, that provides bonuses. There's also some missions that require you to manage your ammo smartly when dual wielding.

Of course, you can simply just play a round. Shoot the targets, get a score of some kind, and move on. But that's no fun imo.

Anyway, thanks for the review. Hopefully a patch is released to make things a little more bearable.

Wrote a few long posts about it a couple of days ago. Not going to repeat myself.
Bottom line is VR is new to a lot of people and I can see an abundance of shitty games becoming a turnoff to VR in general. Better the celebrate and prop up the great ones and make events out of their release then just dump garbage like Rollercoaster Adventures every week and try to feed the VR hungry.

Kurdel

Banned
I got burned by Fruit Ninja VR.

It's the same exact thing as the mobile game, literally nothing new for VR.

Lethal VR is a decent Shooting range, love the sound design for the guns.

Bebpo

Banned
Hi,

Looks great, thank you for this. Looking foward to finishing the game after this patch is out!

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
How is the Kill Room section handled? On the other platforms, I have to move around the room quite a bit as the targets show up all over the damn place (and through tiny opening).

Size looks the same (just watched a YT vid), but there are no openings above nor behind.

Maligna

Banned
Has the Batman game ever been on sale? Just got 2 moves and I'm on the fence on that and Until Dawn.

Don't choose between! Get both.Both are two of the best PSVR games, especially if you have moves. Some of the most fairly priced games in my opinion too.

kinggroin

Banned
Size looks the same (just watched a YT vid), but there are no openings above nor behind.

...what.

I guess that makes sense (since it can't track the controllers when you're turned around), but why are the above targets gone?

Though I'm starting to understand how this version loses its impact.

kinggroin

Banned
I think I'm gonna pick up Battlezone next. Screw waiting for it to come elsewhere, it plays wonderfully as is on PSVR.

Any sales for the game happening or anticipated?

I think I'm gonna pick up Battlezone next. Screw waiting for it to come elsewhere, it plays wonderfully as is on PSVR.

Any sales for the game happening or anticipated?

You just missed one on US PSN store. Other than that I don't know, in EU Battlezone, Rigs and other VR games are being sold retail with some discount.

Hi,

That follow camera looks great, thank you so much for this update!

Has the Batman game ever been on sale? Just got 2 moves and I'm on the fence on that and Until Dawn.

Both games are well worth the price now, You have the moves so go visit gotham, Then after that, go on a ride to hell!

I'm waiting for a Battlezone price drop and Robinson.

DrPirate

Banned
I'm LTTP, but Werewolves within is AMAZING, For the price point though, I'd expect a patch that adds at least one other game mode (Like Mafia) or something. Threre's tremendous potential with this type of game. I've been in it for around 2 to 3 hours a night and I haven't gotten sick of it.

TheMan

Bummed about lethal vr, had high hopes for that one. Oh well.

Haven't seen any impressions of rollercoaster dreams though

somme

Things like doubling or trippling up on bullseye knife throws, or shooting the red bullseye marks on targets without missing (giving you combo multipliers) or if you shoot both SMGs into one target, that provides bonuses. There's also some missions that require you to manage your ammo smartly when dual wielding.

Trying to throw a singe knife is difficult enough, getting two on a target is really difficult and not through lack of skill.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

100% agree

Just a heads up!

They have a free $25 Amazon Credit for trying a free 2 month trial of Audible from Groupon. A lot of people are using the credit to buy Final Fantasy for $10 (It is on sale today only on Amazon for $35).

You could use the $25 for PSN Credit (which you get instantly from Amazon) and buy PSVR Games. I am deciding now on whether to get PSN Credit for I Expect You To Die, or should I buy Final Fantasy.

Just got it for $10 for minimal effort.

1) https://www.groupon.com/deals/audible-174-174 … Sign in and claim this for free.
2) http://www.audible.com/at/redeem Redeem here on your Amazon account.

Give it about 5 or 10 minutes to show up. Gives you a $25 credit for free.

Edit: Only works for new Audible members.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom