• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took one for the team and purchased the 3 new titles out in the UK today.

Perfect
Quite liked this, but then I went in knowing exactly what it was - a sitting simulator. There are 3 'maps' each with 3 locations you can go to, no walking around, some basic interactions such as throwing sticks and snowballs. Might play it for 5-10 minutes after particularly shitty days at work to escape. The scenes look nice enough, shame they didn't ramp anything up on the PSPro as it's just not quiet where it needs to be visually for proper escapism (aka Gran Turisimo 1 trees).

Lethal
Was hoping this would be a tribute to the bright blue-sky glory days of Virtua Cop and Time Crisis, instead it's shooting cardboard cut-outs in a bland little room. Duel wielding is fun, but Rush of Blood already does it better. Can't recommend it if you own either Rush of Blood or PS VR Worlds.

Rollercoaster Dreams
Looks like ass, some of the mini games are quite literally made using un-textured primitive geometry thrown together in Unity Editor by monkeys. Tree's pop-in from nowhere, physics are completely off on the coasters with a lot of the animations being 'baked' it. Sad thing is it's still sorta fun just riding on stuff, but given the bare minimum of effort they've put into it they don't deserve any sales. The coaster building itself is almost identical to an old niche Dreamcast title called Coasterworks, to the extent I think someone did a direct copy of a lot of it without bothering to consider the 101 better methods for creating coasters, demonstrated by newer titles such as Nolimits and Planet coaster. Did I mention it looks like ass?

So in all, a pretty shit week. But fuck it - Werewolves will tide me over for a good few weeks until Resident Evil hits.

Hmmm. I wonder why? ;P
Same developers!

Shoeless

Huh, what version is the Youtube app? The last I have is 1.08 and checking for updates it says I'm at the latest.

I started it and I don't think I have the VR update.

Are you in North America?

I am, and for me, I saw it on my PS4 notifications that it had already automatically updated. It might be regional.

Burglekutt

Huh, what version is the Youtube app? The last I have is 1.08 and checking for updates it says I'm at the latest.

I started it and I don't think I have the VR update.

I came home and booted up my pro which was in rest mode all day and along with all my game patches youtube patch installed version 1.08 and then intstalled version 1.09 seperatley

Burglekutt

Yeah, NA here. although as fuzzy as the 3d vr videos are im not sure its even worth using. VRideo looked way better and even that didnt look that great

Shoeless

Yeah, NA here. although as fuzzy as the 3d vr videos are im not sure its even worth using. VRideo looked way better and even that didnt look that great

That's disappointing to hear. I do remember the VRideo image quality not being amazing, but if YouTube is even worse, then that's a pretty steep downgrade. At least VRideo gave you the option to download the videos if streaming was poor.

Haha yeah I'm expecting atrocious 3d VR video. I got into watching some of the 360 videos on Within and some of those documentaries were heartbreaking. I understand everything isn't in place to come together and give us good 3d video yet but I'm unbothered. I've been around long enough to see things change so much that I honestly find it not only fun to see the (quick) changes in technology but I also have fun when the upgrades do occur and I weigh it against the old tech.

Hopefully we'll be getting a free 360 camera here soon so we can mess around with it and see what fun experiments we can do :)

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Took one for the team and purchased the 3 new titles out in the UK today.

Perfect
Quite liked this, but then I went in knowing exactly what it was - a sitting simulator. There are 3 'maps' each with 3 locations you can go to, no walking around, some basic interactions such as throwing sticks and snowballs. Might play it for 5-10 minutes after particularly shitty days at work to escape. The scenes look nice enough, shame they didn't ramp anything up on the PSPro as it's just not quiet where it needs to be visually for proper escapism (aka Gran Turisimo 1 trees).

Lethal
Was hoping this would be a tribute to the bright blue-sky glory days of Virtua Cop and Time Crisis, instead it's shooting cardboard cut-outs in a bland little room. Duel wielding is fun, but Rush of Blood already does it better. Can't recommend it if you own either Rush of Blood or PS VR Worlds.

Rollercoaster Dreams
Looks like ass, some of the mini games are quite literally made using un-textured primitive geometry thrown together in Unity Editor by monkeys. Tree's pop-in from nowhere, physics are completely off on the coasters with a lot of the animations being 'baked' it. Sad thing is it's still sorta fun just riding on stuff, but given the bare minimum of effort they've put into it they don't deserve any sales. The coaster building itself is almost identical to an old niche Dreamcast title called Coasterworks, to the extent I think someone did a direct copy of a lot of it without bothering to consider the 101 better methods for creating coasters, demonstrated by newer titles such as Nolimits and Planet coaster. Did I mention it looks like ass?

So in all, a pretty shit week. But fuck it - Werewolves will tide me over for a good few weeks until Resident Evil hits.

Thats too bad. Someone was actually really excited for these. I am waiting for his impression from the rollercoaster demo

Burglekutt

Haha yeah I'm expecting atrocious 3d VR video. I got into watching some of the 360 videos on Within and some of those documentaries were heartbreaking. I understand everything isn't in place to come together and give us good 3d video yet but I'm unbothered. I've been around long enough to see things change so much that I honestly find it not only fun to see the (quick) changes in technology but I also have fun when the upgrades do occur and I weigh it against the old tech.

Hopefully we'll be getting a free 360 camera here soon so we can mess around with it and see what fun experiments we can do :)

I just didnt want anyone to get there hopes up to much. I'm sure the quality will get better over time. The good news is is that ive seen better 360 3d videos on PSVR so it is clearly a software side issue and that can be improved upon.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
That's disappointing to hear. I do remember the VRideo image quality not being amazing, but if YouTube is even worse, then that's a pretty steep downgrade. At least VRideo gave you the option to download the videos if streaming was poor.

Vrideo image quality was a disaster. If Youtube is worse, then lol. They're really going to make me hook my PSVR up to a PC, aren't they?

I just didnt want anyone to get there hopes up to much. I'm sure the quality will get better over time. The good news is is that ive seen better 360 3d videos on PSVR so it is clearly a software side issue and that can be improved upon.

I hear ya, it's good to err on the side of caution around here.

I'm still not getting the Youtube update for my blindingly bad 3d videos :( I wonder why.

farisr

Sony really needs to release a media player app update for Pro and VR.

Pro needs to get 4k (and HDR) support.
VR needs 3D and 360 video support (with hopefully the Pro being able to play 4k 3D 360 files for best quality).

androvsky

I recall VRideo 3D looking just as bad as the 3D Youtube videos. The 360 mono videos look a lot better on both services. So far my biggest annoyance is finding proper 3D VR videos on Youtube, they don't seem to be labeled well.

Burglekutt

Sony really needs to release a media player app update for Pro and VR.

Pro needs to get 4k (and HDR) support.
VR needs 3D and 360 video support (with hopefully the Pro being able to play 4k 3D 360 files for best quality).

A lot of these youtube videos have a 4K stamp in the description, they just dont look very good while im watching them. I know PSVR wont do 4K but like ive said ive seen better image quality on PSVR before so maybe im missing something.

Burglekutt

I recall VRideo 3D looking just as bad as the 3D Youtube videos. The 360 mono videos look a lot better on both services. So far my biggest annoyance is finding proper 3D VR videos on Youtube, they don't seem to be labeled well.

There was some variance to the quality of videos VRideo had from passable to dog shit. Ive tried 5 different videos on youtube and all I get is dogshit. Maybe I got unlucky and there are some passable ones out there but I havent seen them. Such a shame too the Miami Dolphins cheerleaders deserve better.

androvsky

Maybe I'm not having a lot of luck with the Youtube app, but so far everything properly tagged for 3D 360 has the 3D looking wrong, as if the eyes were sometimes reversed or something. And almost nothing is properly tagged, none of the Google Cardboard videos work, normal 3D videos don't work either, and nearly all the videos in the VR channel are 2D. :(

farisr

A lot of these youtube videos have a 4K stamp in the description, they just dont look very good while im watching them. I know PSVR wont do 4K
Yeah, but that doesn't mean they were playing back in 4k.

I know on my Pro, I still haven't managed to successfully play a video off youtube in proper 4k. And this is despite my connection to the PSN server showing as 200+mbps (So I know the PS4 is getting enough speed). It's usually playing in 1080p, the max I've seen it go to is 1440p.

No problems playing in 4k on my pc though. I think the streaming or whatever protocol the youtube app is using is just not working properly. Which is exactly why I want Sony's media player app to update so it can play offline files at their full resolutions with higher bitrates.

Also, while I know the PSVR can't display 4k. The thing with 360 videos is, is that the resolution is stretched all around you, so at any given moment the display is actually not showing you the full resolution of the video. So if the Pro can play 4k 360 3D videos, it could actually come closer to reaching the maximum image quality that the PSVR is capable of displaying.

Maybe I'm not having a lot of luck with the Youtube app, but so far everything properly tagged for 3D 360 has the 3D looking wrong, as if the eyes were sometimes reversed or something. And almost nothing is properly tagged, none of the Google Cardboard videos work, normal 3D videos don't work either, and nearly all the videos in the VR channel are 2D. :(

Man, that's certainly rough. The curation could stand to be much improved.

If only my YouTube app would update so I could wade through the unfiltered, low resolution YouTube VR halls 🙃

Anyone one else NOT have the update in the Mountain time zone?

bumpkin

I can't lie, though I'm not happy about the $15 price tag given it's under $5 on iPad/iPhone, but I'll be damned if Fruit Ninja VR doesn't look cool in the impressions videos on YouTube. I expected it to be phoned-in in the sense that all you can do is swipe and cut fruit, but it looks like there's more nuance to it like being able to stab fruit and catch fruit on the side of your blade.

Has anyone taken the plunge? Does it have any of the stuff the mobile versions do like different blades and so on?

Shoeless

A lot of these youtube videos have a 4K stamp in the description, they just dont look very good while im watching them. I know PSVR wont do 4K but like ive said ive seen better image quality on PSVR before so maybe im missing something.

I think the YouTube app on the PS4 needs some kind of way to calibrate or adjust for the 3D videos. I tracked down a view 360/3D videos, but the I was having a lot of trouble resolving the images. There was even the Ghost In The Shell trailer that was on VRideo, but this time the images were so "split" that it was almost like double vision.

I'm not sure if it's an IPD issue, but a lot of these 3D videos are really confusing my eyes, but there's no issue at all with regular VR games.

androvsky

I think the YouTube app on the PS4 needs some kind of way to calibrate or adjust for the 3D videos. I tracked down a view 360/3D videos, but the I was having a lot of trouble resolving the images. There was even the Ghost In The Shell trailer that was on VRideo, but this time the images were so "split" that it was almost like double vision.

I'm not sure if it's an IPD issue, but a lot of these 3D videos are really confusing my eyes, but there's no issue at all with regular VR games.
That's a better description of what I was running into, 3D is basically busted in the app. Hopefully they can fix it server side, otherwise it'll probably be a couple weeks until they can get a patch out.

Absolutely. I like to compare that Ghost in the Shell 3d video on VRideo to early 3ds 3d when developers would make the 3d too "deep". Everything would look too big like you had to open your eyes wider than they were created. This is where the slider would come in handy.

Still, after getting used to the Ghost in the Shell 3d video somewhat (it always felt like it was making my eyes implode) it was pretty awesome. I want more. And better. Much better.

What I've found with YouTube VR videos is there are two forms of VR. One says HD, another says 3D. The 360 HD ones like this work with PSVR: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2kwcanLrVs&index=65&list=PLU8wpH_LfhmsSVRA8bSknO4-2wXvYXS4C, while the 360 3D ones don't: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p86gh2HEsp0&t=143s. The 3D ones just show up as two images side-by-side.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I can't lie, though I'm not happy about the $15 price tag given it's under $5 on iPad/iPhone, but I'll be damned if Fruit Ninja VR doesn't look cool in the impressions videos on YouTube. I expected it to be phoned-in in the sense that all you can do is swipe and cut fruit, but it looks like there's more nuance to it like being able to stab fruit and catch fruit on the side of your blade.

Has anyone taken the plunge? Does it have any of the stuff the mobile versions do like different blades and so on?

I played it on the Vive. It was fun for about 3 minutes, then got extremely repetitive and boring.

I played Fruit Ninja VR on the Vive earlier this year, so I bought it immediately when it went up today. It's really fun. I don't think it has any unlockables, but the various modes are all really fun in their own different ways. They'll probably add more stuff in the future. Regardless, swinging around two big-ass katanas is satisfying as hell.

androvsky

What I've found with YouTube VR videos is there are two forms of VR. One says HD, another says 3D. The 360 HD ones like this work with PSVR: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2kwcanLrVs&index=65&list=PLU8wpH_LfhmsSVRA8bSknO4-2wXvYXS4C, while the 360 3D ones don't: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p86gh2HEsp0&t=143s. The 3D ones just show up as two images side-by-side.
There are a few that properly show up as 3D 360, the Apollo 11 experience trailer is one. Problem is I'm pretty sure after double checking the eyes are reversed. So far all the ones that try to be 3D are top/bottom (you can tell by the preview frames along the timeline), while none of the side by side ones work.

There are a few that properly show up as 3D 360, the Apollo 11 experience trailer is one. Problem is I'm pretty sure after double checking the eyes are reversed. So far all the ones that try to be 3D are top/bottom (you can tell by the preview frames along the timeline), while none of the side by side ones work.

Yeah. I meant top/bottom. I tried one of those (the one I linked to) and it did not work with PSVR.

zoukka

PSVR doesn't officially support 3D video...

androvsky

Yeah. I meant top/bottom. I tried one of those (the one I linked to) and it did not work with PSVR.
Did you see two images top and bottom, or just one image in busted 3D? I get the latter even in the video you linked. This one is the one I used to discover the eyes are probably swapped: https://youtu.be/KVY91ZNa0Tg
PSVR doesn't officially support 3D video...
I'm talking about the 3D 360 videos, like some of the ones that show up in the other VR video apps. VRideo had a fair number of them; Hulu and Littlestar have a couple.

Weird I still haven't got the YouTube update.

Anyhow, the Littlestar update that happened a week or so ago completely broke the app on my Pro. I click on it and it just crashes and says it can't open. Weird. I was hoping they added a new video to their collection of 5 videos :)

Jimmy_liv

Just a heads up!

They have a free $25 Amazon Credit for trying a free 2 month trial of Audible from Groupon. A lot of people are using the credit to buy Final Fantasy for $10 (It is on sale today only on Amazon for $35).

You could use the $25 for PSN Credit (which you get instantly from Amazon) and buy PSVR Games. I am deciding now on whether to get PSN Credit for I Expect You To Die, or should I buy Final Fantasy.

Just checked my Amazon account after 8 hours and still no promotional credit.
Looks like this one has finished now.

Jimmy_liv

Weird, there were many of us in the Playstation Store sale that got it instantly. They may have shut it down not too long after I posted it.

Is there anything we could be doing wrong?

I got my audiable account and then...that's it? I logged into my Amazon account and nothing.
Should I get an additional code to redeem or sonert? Is it a payment method I need to select?

Is there anything we could be doing wrong?

I got my audiable account and then...that's it? I logged into my Amazon account and nothing.
Should I get an additional code to redeem or sonert? Is it a payment method I need to select?

Order that I did it, signed up for new Groupon Audible deal, used that code with new Amazon.com account to sign up for 2 months Audible, wait, wait, wait, nothing.

If Sony were to ever update the mediaplayer for 3d 360 videos, the PS4 should have no problem playing 4K 360 videos, no need for a Pro right?

Can't imagine it being too weak for such vids honestly, but I'm no tech guru.

Jimmy_liv

If Sony were to ever update the mediaplayer for 3d 360 videos, the PS4 should have no problem playing 4K 360 videos, no need for a Pro right?

Can't imagine it being too weak for such vids honestly, but I'm no tech guru.

It should have no problems other than not even being 1k let alone 4k.

It should have no problems other than not even being 1k let alone 4k.
You are only looking at a small portion of a 360 vid at any given time. The reason they look so terrible is cause it's stretching 1080p across your whole possible field of view. You really need 4K vids for decent results even on a PSVR.

GeeTeeCee

I decided to bust out my Move controllers from their dusty tomb in advance of getting a PSVR. I probably should have done this sooner, but mercifully, they both appear to be charging and working normally despite not being used for years.

Planet

Someone was actually really excited for these. I am waiting for his impression from the rollercoaster demo
If you meant me, I wasn't really that much excited about these games specifically, just that there still is a steady flow.

The rollercoaster demo really is a stinking POS though. Now that there are some parks online you can jump into, you can see the full extent of the mess. Sure, you can have a look around, but you still can't ride or play anything! Not even once. There simply is no point in this demo. The game has certain interesting aspects (filled up to the brim with boring tedious stuff), but I won't bite until it's on sale.

Hmmm...the youtube VR update doesn't seem available in the US yet. I'm still running the older version and when i go to update it says the version I'm running is the latest.

doby

Order that I did it, signed up for new Groupon Audible deal, used that code with new Amazon.com account to sign up for 2 months Audible, wait, wait, wait, nothing.

One thing that was never mentioned here but seems key to the offer working, you needed to have been a prime member prior to signing up to audible, I expect that's why it's not worked for some people. The actual offer ends on the 23rd.

Matush

How custom songs in Starship Disco works? You just load them up through USB stick? I love rhythm games where we are able to use our own songs, but I rather ask before spending money on it.

Sorry for asking a dumb question but other threads got me worried - does the processing box introduce significant display lag for 'regular' PS4. Can it not be bypassed by 'switching' the box (you know it has this weird transformer feature where you pull half of the box back for seemingly no reason)

ryseing

One thing that was never mentioned here but seems key to the offer working, you needed to have been a prime member prior to signing up to audible, I expect that's why it's not worked for some people. The actual offer ends on the 23rd.

I can't even add the Groupon Audible deal to my cart.

Sorry for asking a dumb question but other threads got me worried - does the processing box introduce significant display lag for 'regular' PS4. Can it not be bypassed by 'switching' the box (you know it has this weird transformer feature where you pull half of the box back for seemingly no reason)

I'm also wondering this. I have the Pro and it seem likes this is only a problem when you want to use HDR (which I don't have). Just curious.

I haven't noticed I played a bit of overwatch before and after I got the PSVR and it didn't feel any different. It would be strange if it did especially how little latency the headset requires it should really just be a standard pass through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom