• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
lol the final phase of the final boss in Thumper

3 shields
death ring

*closes app*

Will have another go at it later, but the shield destroying is my least favorite thing in the game. I was so glad it was mostly dropped after the earlier levels.

The feeling when you start to go really fast in levels 8 and 9 is something else.

lyYD7Ki.gif

I just got myself a PSVR (yay!) and tried out the jungle level of the VR Playroom.

Holy shit you guys weren't kidding about the nausea. It felt so damn weird that my brain couldn't work out whether I was stationary or moving forward.

Does it get better (as in my body eventually adjusts to it) or am I forever resigned to play VR games with teleporting stationary protagonists?

BTW I just discovered the Hatsune Miku live demo will make Miku's 3D model disappear if you take low angle screenshots. I did it for science.

androvsky

I just got myself a PSVR (yay!) and tried out the jungle level of the VR Playroom.

Holy shit you guys weren't kidding about the nausea. It felt so damn weird that my brain couldn't work out whether I was stationary or moving forward.

Does it get better (as in my body eventually adjusts to it) or am I forever resigned to play VR games with teleporting stationary protagonists?

BTW I just discovered the Hatsune Miku live demo will make Miku's 3D model disappear if you take low angle screenshots. I did it for science.
Take it easy, don't push yourself. That jungle platformer level was rough for me too, when the game controls the camera things aren't going to go well for most people. For reference I could play Farpoint running around and strafing for over an hour at a time with no trouble, but that was also after many months of ownership.

Try something stationary first, you jumped the gun xD

Fox1304

Man I'm so tempted to get this. Had my eye on it for ages and im a big time trekkie. What's the general consensus on the game?

Same here. Games has very good player reception. Not sure if many people are still playing , and it's nearly same price on Amazon, so I'm torn too.

Man I'm so tempted to get this. Had my eye on it for ages and im a big time trekkie. What's the general consensus on the game?

Same here. Games has very good player reception. Not sure if many people are still playing , and it's nearly same price on Amazon, so I'm torn too.

It's great, but the initial story content is limited. Then the random mission generator takes over. That being said, it's a fantastic social experience so it's the kind of game you could play forever with the right people, especially friends. Even when playing with strangers, I've cried with laugher so hard that I literally couldn't see to keep playing. It's cross play with PC and it's on sale on Steam too IIRC, so hopefully the player base will get a boost.

Maligna

Banned
Star Trek is one of my favorite all time VR experiences, but honestly you should have jumped in when the player base was there.

Likely you'll be playing alone if you buy now. Unless you have 3 friends that you can set up a game session with.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Yeah you've got to slow down. You really jumped the gun.

Lokimaru

I played for the first time last night, it was pretty amazing. The aim controller is so damn good.

Man why is Sony constantly dropping the ball on their peripherals? If they have the tech they don't have the killer apps, If they have the killer apps they don't have the inventory. It's like geez get your fucking shit together.

Star Trek is one of my favorite all time VR experiences, but honestly you should have jumped in when the player base was there.

Likely you'll be playing alone if you buy now. Unless you have 3 friends that you can set up a game session with.

Is the single player serviceable though? Obviously online would be better but solo is doable right?

Patch13

Ouch. It didn't come out that long ago. Is it just not super re-playable?

Played Farpoint with Aim, I need a Killzone and a Resistance now.

Is Farpoint actually a good game, aim controller aside, or does it mainly serve as a demonstration of potential?

(Both games are on my maybe to check out list, but thus far I haven't put them in my cart.)

Planet

Anyone remember SportsBar VR? It just got a neat little update...
In addition to cross-play between PC and PlayStation 4 formats, Sports Bar VR 2.0 adds a host of new content. Up to 12 players can now enter a single instance, opposed to the previous limit of six, with new gameplay opportunities including a new Whack-a-Mole style reaction mini-game and Interactive Puzzle walls
notbad.png

I brought this on release and found it to be the worst vr game I have. Playing pool, my cue was all over the place and I couldn't navigate round the table. Turned off after ten mins. Might give it another try

After an update the game was much more playable. All of the issues with aiming the Pool cue were resolved for me. The darts always still feel a little wonky though.

I wish I got RIGS sooner. First few matches were a bit rough but once you get into the flow and start to be able to read the play damn it is fun. Endzone and the trials are my favourite thing about it at the moment. Production values are great.

My PSVR Package just arrived home!! Can't wait to try it once I get back from work. Already downloaded RIGS, so I'm pretty much good to go.

I can safely say playing VR has made tv gaming seem redundant and lacklustre in comparison.

Example being i loved Farpoint and enjoyed every min of being inside that world, Just started Destiny 2 and did the tutorial, The graphics are great, But the disconnect you feel is there now.

Farpoint i was the one looking around at the vista's and rocks etc, Now im panning a camera around in Destiny 2 and it feels mundane and doesnt wow me like you get in VR.

majik13

Ouch. It didn't come out that long ago. Is it just not super re-playable?

Is Farpoint actually a good game, aim controller aside, or does it mainly serve as a demonstration of potential?

(Both games are on my maybe to check out list, but thus far I haven't put them in my cart.)

Farpoint is a legit good game, but only when really played with the AIM controller.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I can safely say playing VR has made tv gaming seem redundant and lacklustre in comparison.

Example being i loved Farpoint and enjoyed every min of being inside that world, Just started Destiny 2 and did the tutorial, The graphics are great, But the disconnect you feel is there now.

Farpoint i was the one looking around at the vista's and rocks etc, Now im panning a camera around in Destiny 2 and it feels mundane and doesnt wow me like you get in VR.

Heh, I only have that feeling if I play the regular mode (if available) after playing that game in VR. I replayed a stage in Thumper for S ranks without VR and it's a completely different experience out of the headset. I definitely don't enjoy the game as much in regular mode. Same thing but even worse with RE7. Playing that game VR-less was a very strange experience. It speaks to the strength of the immersion, it really does make a difference.

However, playing a 'regular' game I don't really think about the difference much because there's no VR experience to compare it to.

wilflare

more friends coming over this evening to try out PSVR
probably gonna get Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes to play together with PlayroomVR lol

Sooo impressions after trying VR for the first time.

- The setup is a big hassle, a loooot of cables.
- The initial calibration of the headset was meant to be with the headset off, yet, the instructions tell you to put on the headset 😓
- We watched a few youtube videos, the quality was so so, but the experience was amazing.
- Finally I tried RIGS.... I have been gaming since 1994, and since the transition to 3D I haven't felt like this... The experience was out of this world, so much that I felt dizzy (after a while in the practice arena) like I wanted to throw up (still do). Having said that, I think that I haven't been this excited since long long ago.

MattAces

- The initial calibration of the headset was meant to be with the headset off, yet, the instructions tell you to put on the headset 😓
- We watched a few youtube videos, the quality was so so, but the experience was amazing.
- Finally I tried RIGS.... I have been gaming since 1994, and since the transition to 3D I haven't felt like this... The experience was out of this world, so much that I felt dizzy (after a while in the practice arena) like I wanted to throw up (still do). Having said that, I think that I haven't been this excited since long long ago.

VR videos in general are still god awful. They are only limited to 360 filmed camera and no matter how high the resolution is, it still looks awful.
On the other hand, you can try all of those free experience like Joshua Bell. That is one impressive way of doing VR videos. Other than Joshua himself, everything was recreated in Unity Engine and it looks great plus it's positional tracked.

As for Rigs, try disabling the motion sickness shade, the one that will make you screen go black if you're turning too fast and enable head tracked shooting. Play around with the motion sickness setting. Download every demo, COD Jackal Assault is an impressive little demo, and Statik is a great game that you should consider buying, but try out the demo first.

MattAces

http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS43021317
Worldwide Shipments of AR/VR Headsets Maintain Solid Growth Trajectory in the Second Quarter, According to IDC

Demand for Sony's PSVR remained unmatched amongst the top tier of tethered headsets. The launch of Farpoint along with the VR aim controller combined with some sustained demand for Resident Evil 7 boded well for Sony. Outside of gaming, Sony is also working on bringing other experiences to the VR platform by partnering with Hollywood creators. Despite its success, Sony still announced a modest price cut for the PSVR that should help drive sustained growth through the end of the year.
Q2 shipment for PSVR is around 520k, 24.4% of market share.

Also who the hell is buying all of those Alcatel VR? *Ah, it's another mobile VR.

valeu

i agree 100%. everything is better in vr, even 2d sidescrollers. for ex. you should try the lost bear. it's like limbo, you might think "what's the point of that in vr?". just try it. it is an absolute gem and cheap

crispyben

Hi, I've got a question about Superhot VR trophies, and since there's no OT, I hope some of you can help. I finished the first round of levels and have access to the updated hub with floppies laying around.

I'd like to know more about Savage! (how/where can you punch a guy five times in a row?), Fitness club (how long?/do you have to play in a row?), No sweat (where is the floppy?), Who needs guns? (where is the floppy?), Better (where is the floppy?), Roguelike (where is the floppy?). Basically, how to achieve the ones not related to an obvious mode/challenge floppy... Thanks!

Hi, I've got a question about Superhot VR trophies, and since there's no OT, I hope some of you can help. I finished the first round of levels and have access to the updated hub with floppies laying around.

I'd like to know more about Savage! (how/where can you punch a guy five times in a row?), Fitness club (how long?/do you have to play in a row?), No sweat (where is the floppy?), Who needs guns? (where is the floppy?), Better (where is the floppy?), Roguelike (where is the floppy?). Basically, how to achieve the ones not related to an obvious mode/challenge floppy... Thanks!

Just punch any guy five times

I think fitness club unlocked for me part way through my headshot only playthrough, which was my third playthrough after hard mode. But I did mess about in endless and speedrun real time quite a bit before then.

To get all the floppy's you need to beat the game. Once you beat the game this unlocks endless mode, game time speedrun, real time speedrun, headshot only (better), don't die (Roguelike), hard mode (harder). After you complete a few if these it then unlocks no guns (Who needs guns?), and beat the game in 10 mins (No sweat). Maybe others unlock at different times but I can't remember.

crispyben

Just punch any guy five times

I think fitness club unlocked for me part way through my headshot only playthrough, which was my third playthrough after hard mode. But I did mess about in endless and speedrun real time quite a bit before then.

To get all the floppy's you need to beat the game. Once you beat the game this unlocks endless mode, game time speedrun, real time speedrun, headshot only (better), don't die (Roguelike), hard mode (harder). After you complete a few if these it then unlocks no guns (Who needs guns?), and beat the game in 10 mins (No sweat). Maybe others unlock at different times but I can't remember.
Makes sense! Thanks for taking the time to reply, hope this helps other people too :)

ffvorax

For the sickness try to not start with games so heavy motion related, you should download Playroom VR. It's free, it's a lot of fun, but you will need some friends to play it.

And do shorter sessions to get used to it... I actually can play Resident Evil 7 for 1h, and in later party is heavy action... it's mostly a matter of get used to it, then you will be able to play more time without big issues... just fatigue at the worst...

Damn I actually played the new level in Playroom VR this weekend (the toy room), the change of playing with VR or to help with the pad is INCREDIBLE. :D

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Heh, I only have that feeling if I play the regular mode (if available) after playing that game in VR. I replayed a stage in Thumper for S ranks without VR and it's a completely different experience out of the headset. I definitely don't enjoy the game as much in regular mode. Same thing but even worse with RE7. Playing that game VR-less was a very strange experience. It speaks to the strength of the immersion, it really does make a difference.

However, playing a 'regular' game I don't really think about the difference much because there's no VR experience to compare it to.

I'm 100% the same.

I'm sort of the same but FPS and TPS have lost a lot of their shine. Especially those that have the whole shaky screen, ooooh shits going on thing. Went back to Uncharted 4 (a game I enjoyed) and it felt flat and lifeless because of this. In VR you get the sense of going fast because it looks like you are going fast, you think you are high because it looks like you are high. With the games that try to simulate this on a TV it's just yawn inducing. RPG's and those with in depth mechanics are the only games that really still feel good to me outside of VR

I'm kind of thinking of picking up one of these. I was big into the Rift when it was first announced, and picked up the first two versions, but kind of lost interest after that. It was just too much work to try to get everything working correctly. I know that's all been improved now, but the idea of just starting something up on my PS4 and it working immediately is very appealing.

I've got $350 in Gamestop credit that I was planning to use towards a XBX, but I'm thinking of using it for this now. Is there a certain package that I should be looking for or anything?

Top Bottom