• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

joeblow

Bit of a bummer L.A Noire VR is only HTC Vive. Hope it's only a timed exclusive and Rockstar bring it to PSVR too.
If it were exclusive, they would've used that word. I'll wait for that feature to come to the PS4 version before getting it. I've always wanted to play the game.

If it were exclusive, they would've used that word. I'll wait for that feature to come to the PS4 version before getting it. I've always wanted to play the game.

Yeah lets hope so. The game is really good, I will be waiting for PSVR support before I pick up this new version though.

I'm kind of thinking of picking up one of these. I was big into the Rift when it was first announced, and picked up the first two versions, but kind of lost interest after that. It was just too much work to try to get everything working correctly. I know that's all been improved now, but the idea of just starting something up on my PS4 and it working immediately is very appealing.

I've got $350 in Gamestop credit that I was planning to use towards a XBX, but I'm thinking of using it for this now. Is there a certain package that I should be looking for or anything?

The PSVR Worlds bundle is the best complete package for $450, which brings you everything you need plus a set of 5 starter experiences. After that you can enjoy yourself with all the free VR content available in the PS Store before buying anything.

After that you can come to this thread and ask for suggestions on what games are the best to buy. Will be happy to recommend some. Also, don't be afraid to ask for any troubleshooting tips, we know all the workarounds :p

Bit of a bummer L.A Noire VR is only HTC Vive. Hope it's only a timed exclusive and Rockstar bring it to PSVR too.

Eh it will come to psvr.

Like I mentioned in that thread, it's easier to work with the platform with less restrictions to get a solid, workable, playable, shippable game and then downscale to fit a platform specifications. Also allows you to get the game right, even for huge devs like R* making a vr game for the first time is a huge endeavour.

We see PC devs, much smaller devs, already do that with psvr. Superhot and Arizona sunshine have done that.

Yep and they were not good ports
Rumors were that they were working on a PSVR version.Maybe they couldn't get it working.

You say that but from what I read here and the reviews for it, super hot vr a pretty good port and only in the endless(??) mode do we see a low res , we know about the AZS situation but the devs did actually support the game pretty damn well and fixed a lot of the flaws and criticisms of the game. Yep both have tech issues, but that's the reality with the cpu power and to a lesser extent gpu power of the base PS4, measured compromises and all. All things considered, nah there were pretty good ports, eventually.

Not heard about the rumours, however simply due to the larger market of the psvr base, a version is highly likely.

metacritic:

76 on PSVR
85 on PCVR

Difference is huge for the same game.

Different reviews and also amount of reviews make a difference with meta scores.

Now the PSVR version is not quite as good as the PC version because of the Move controller limitations, but it's still a solid port, a brilliant game and one of the best VR shooters, even on PSVR.

cakely

metacritic:

76 on PSVR
85 on PCVR

Difference is huge for the same game.

I have no idea what the score discrepancy comes from, but really, the PSVR version of SUPERHOT VR was great. Don't let the reviews dissuade you if you're on the fence.

Looking at the review scores, it's a pretty small pool. 20 reviews for the PSVR version, 16 for the PCVR version. It feels like too small of a sample to compare aggregates.

I have no idea what the score discrepancy comes from, but really, the PSVR version of SUPERHOT VR was great. Don't let the reviews dissuade you if you're on the fence.

Looking at the review scores, it's a pretty small pool. 20 reviews for the PSVR version, 16 for the PCVR version. It feels like too small of a sample to compare aggregates.

Especially with the likes of Metro giving it a rediculously low 5/10

Let's look at sites that reviewed both versions.

IGN - PCVR 90 / PSVR 90
Digital Chumps - PCVR 90 / PSVR 85

No real difference at all. Digital Chumps acknowledging the issues with tracking there, but states it doesn't stop it being a great game.

Planet

Mainstream media seems to judge most VR titles extra hard, if they get into it at all. Metacritic is always really low on these games.

Don't look too deep into the numbers, read the text and check if what they disliked / liked bothers / excites you.
So it shows more than one car on the track at a time?
The first explicitly VR trailer did that, not this newer one.

wilflare

so my friends came over and this was the playlist

- Kitchen Demo for the first guy (everyone else was screaming)
- Shark Dive (PlayStation VR Worlds) for the next friend (who was frozen when she saw the shark)
- London Heist for another friend (who totally got into character of being a gangster lol)

and then it was just Playroom VR (the dinosaur game + the cat game)
- we laughed till our tummies hurt with the dinosaur game

haven't had such lively gatherings (over videogames) since the Gamecube/Wii :3

MattAces

"JUSTICE LEAGUE" VR: THE COMPLETE EXPERIENCE ALLOWS USERS TO BE PART OF DC'S TEAM OF SUPER HEROES
Finally, in December, the VR experience comes home with an expanded ”Justice League" Virtual Reality: The Complete Experience, to be released for transactional purchase on multiple VR platforms. Featuring additional modes and expanded missions, the home-based VR experience will support controllers, spatial tracking and room scale tracking, depending on the platform.

The Missions include:
Play as the Justice League members and see if you can master their powers:

• Outrace your enemies as BATMAN
• Fight Parademons as WONDER WOMAN
• Face a creature from the deep as AQUAMAN
• Stop a ticking bomb as THE FLASH
• Take out enemy drones as CYBORG
In addition, other characters from the DC universe may be added into the VR experience.
https://www.warnerbros.com/studio/n...ce-allows-users-be-part-dcs-team-super-heroes

Hopefully the PSVR version is not mobile VR port. But here's some image from mobile version.
primary1.jpg

primary2.jpg

primary3.jpg

primary5.jpg

Alienous

"JUSTICE LEAGUE" VR: THE COMPLETE EXPERIENCE ALLOWS USERS TO BE PART OF DC'S TEAM OF SUPER HEROES

Hopefully the PSVR version is not mobile VR port. But here's some image from mobile version.

Sounds like Spider-Man Homecoming VR x5.

But if they're charging for it maybe it'll be a more significant experience than that.

iratA

a Killzone 2/3 remake for VR and aim support would be awesome, even if we just got PS3 graphical levels.

I've been asking for this forever, I think the oppressive environments would really shine in VR, much like horror games leave you feeling very unease in VR. I would also take a Killzone 2 4k+HDR remaster, so yeah.

Memles

So with Star Trek Bridge Crew on for $30 ($24 with GCU), what's the verdict on the state of that community? Lively enough for a few hours of fun, or no?

bushmonkey

Neo Member
I've had RIGS since christmas and it was always hard to find a match. The game being on Ps Plus has really been a shot in the arms for the community. Only takes a few seconds to get a match going on now. I've been playing a lot more now, It's really a great multiplayer game.

shaneo632

Playing The Lost Bear at the moment. Holy shit this game has some infuriatingly long loading times. Trial and error games should be instant restart or GTFO.

ChouGoku

The lack of games where you can just get in and fuck around in is disappointing. Every game you have to "do something", I just want to wander a world in VR. Megaton Rainfall should scratch that itch since it has GTA style mission starting so some free roam would be good.

Planet

Has this already been discussed, that you indeed finally get notifications for trophies with the beta / next firmware?

djyxbyfxkaakuiavlsmk.jpg

Just the tiny symbol, which is fine IMHO. Not my shot, btw.

MattAces

Interesting article about Metaworld that somehow we've all missed.
‘MetaWorld’ Wants You to Buy Virtual Land for Real Money, and It’s Not Clear Why
Co-founder Abandons Ship

HelloVR co-founder Carleton DiLeo left the company before the ill-fated IndieGogo campaign was devised. According to a post on DiLeo’s blog where he distances himself from MetaWorld, he isn’t sure how Reid can deliver everything he’s promised.

Last year, I began the journey to create MetaWorld. Being one of the first developers to use SpatialOS and being the first using it for VR was a huge challenge. Documentation was sparse and Improbable [the studio behind SpatialOS] was tied up growing their company. After a 3-4 months we had something to show to the world. The response was good, people who tried MetaWorld really connected with the world
Unfortunately, after the press showing, I ran into a number of issues with SpatialOS due to required version upgrades and bugs with SpatialOS itself. Improbable was busy with other things so they were unable to help. I slowly worked through some of the problems but progress was slow. I started to feel that making a massive VR experience wasn’t going to be possible. At our current trajectory it would just take too long.
I still wanted to create something that allowed people to be able to visit a living world together from around the globe. To get there we would need more support from Improbable and a much bigger team. Funding efforts weren’t going well because investors wanted to see more before investing. The time required for one developer/game designer and a designer to create what we need would just take too long, we needed more help which costs money. This became a contention point between me and my business partner. Eventually I just didn’t see a future in continuing the way we were. I decided to stop working on MetaWorld and focus on a new title called Community Garden. Community Garden would start small to prove the viability of building persistent VR worlds in SpatialOS.
I was surprised when I found out my partner had started an IndieGoGo fund. To avoid confusion, I wanted to make it clear that I’m not currently working on MetaWorld and I don’t know how my partner plans to deliver on the promise of the fund. If you plan on donating to the IndieGoGo fund, please note that none of the work I produced for the MetaWorld you see in videos like the one above is what will be delivered.
https://www.roadtovr.com/metaworld-wants-buy-virtual-land-real-money-not-clear/

I've been saying since the beginning, the fact that not much information was shown and suddenly the game is being released as early access this month is weird. Hope it turns out to be great, but be careful.

Has this already been discussed, that you indeed finally get notifications for trophies with the beta / next firmware?

djyxbyfxkaakuiavlsmk.jpg

Just the tiny symbol, which is fine IMHO. Not my shot, btw.

Yeah, I hate it. It's right in the center of whatever you're looking at!
I've complained on the beta forums that we need separate notification options. I don't want to have to disable Trophy notifications across the board to prevent it. But that's what will happen without a separate option.

Toxa

Batman VR was nice but too short and too expansive (19€) for only one hour of gameplay
it's sad that sony didn't create a new psmove with a joystick for the ps4

Yeah, I hate it. It's right in the center of whatever you're looking at!
I've complained on the beta forums that we need separate notification options. I don't want to have to disable Trophy notifications across the board to prevent it. But that's what will happen without a separate option.

I'm fine with this notification method at least it tells me the value of the trophy just wish it was 3D instead of a 2D notification.

As long as people can enable/disable it don't think they will complain.

Batman VR was nice but too short and too expansive (19€) for only one hour of gameplay
it's sad that sony didn't create a new psmove with a joystick for the ps4

I think it was fine for the value, great graphics and doing riddler trophies added another playthrough.

They will, it was just safer to start the VR gen with existing cheap tech :D

Joystick

The Honor & Duty VR Update is imminent - possibly late this month:

Honor & Duty was just submitted into initial QA for the VR update. With this being our first VR game, we're expecting they will find at least a few items we have to fix. As soon as we get a report back on any VR related issues, we'll fix them and submit what should be a final build. A late September release is possible but just depends on how quickly the initial QA pass goes and how many bugs are reported. September 26th is looking like the most likely date if all goes well.

https://www.facebook.com/StrangeGamesStudios/posts/861679690662450

Joystick

VR Flight Simulator is up on Kickstarter for PS VR.

The aim of this project is to create a PlayStation 4 PSVR version of the "VR Flight Simulator" game which I first designed for mobile devices and low-cost headsets.

VR Flight Simulator is an arcade-game in which you can fly in a small plane above several beautiful landscapes in virtual reality.

€20 for PS4 Kickstarter Backer which includes a copy of the game when released approx. September 2018.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1445993166/vr-flight-simulator-playstation-4-psvr

Something PSVR related that's not related to gaming I hope someone can help out with.

Every time I start up YouTube or Hulu now it prompts me if I want to start the VR version or the standard version. Is there a way to just set a default so I'm not prompted every time I start one of those apps?

Something PSVR related that's not related to gaming I hope someone can help out with.

Every time I start up YouTube or Hulu now it prompts me if I want to start the VR version or the standard version. Is there a way to just set a default so I'm not prompted every time I start one of those apps?

Nah, It will always ask you what version you want to use.

Sakura

So I've been thinking about buying a PSVR, but prices here in Japan are way too crazy (mostly because the thing is never in stock to begin with). Prices on ebay are about 20,000 yen cheaper than what I'd pay if I were able to get one here, but is buying a PSVR used a good idea? Or would it just be easy to import off say Amazon US?
Happy Manager have removed all traces of PSVR on the site.

What on Earth would be the market for this game with those character models and VR removed? Who would buy this as a non VR title? Makes no sense to me.

ChouGoku

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-pPHFfJS10
Megaton Rainfall VR gameplay (in the background and not english)

Visual looks promising, and heavy blinders there. Hopefully it can be disabled.
You can turn them all the way off.
Edit: It also looks like they are playing on a base ps4 so pro owners should have an amazing looking game with supersampling

Edit 2: a spanish speaker would have to correct me but I think at 4:30 he says that you can have free movement ala call of duty (smooth turining) or snap turning, and you can take the blinders off but sony made him put them on by default.

Edit 3:I think he says move controller support is coming in about a month

Edit 4: Article from the interviewers site where they say you can turn off blinders but there will be a warning like RE7 and Rigs

https://www.realovirtual.com/articu...rainfall-impresiones-entrevista-gamescom-2017

MattAces

So I've been thinking about buying a PSVR, but prices here in Japan are way too crazy (mostly because the thing is never in stock to begin with). Prices on ebay are about 20,000 yen cheaper than what I'd pay if I were able to get one here, but is buying a PSVR used a good idea? Or would it just be easy to import off say Amazon US?

What on Earth would be the market for this game with those character models and VR removed? Who would buy this as a non VR title? Makes no sense to me.

If importing from US price is not far away from used in Japan, just get a new one. There's a lot of discount for new PSVR in US almost every month.
But if used is really much cheaper and more convenient, I would say it's fine as long as the condition is really good. Since everyone sweat a lot in the headset and strapped the device onto their oily face, you might want to clean it thoroughly, good thing is you can easily peel off the rubber and wash it as clean as possible.
And this is probably the oiliest part of the rubber (which is part of the rubber from image above.

But the forehead part of the headset can't be removed easily, so just use a wet wipe or something.

*all images are from google

MattAces

You can turn them all the way off.
Edit: It also looks like they are playing on a base ps4 so pro owners should have an amazing looking game with supersampling

Edit 2: a spanish speaker would have to correct me but I think at 4:30 he says that you can have free movement ala call of duty (smooth turining) or snap turning, and you can take the blinders off but sony made him put them on by default.

Edit 3:I think he says move controller support is coming in about a month

Edit 4: Article from the interviewers site where they say you can turn off blinders but there will be a warning like RE7 and Rigs

https://www.realovirtual.com/articu...rainfall-impresiones-entrevista-gamescom-2017

Thanks for the info! Really glad Move support is coming.
I always prefer Move over DS4.
I thought Arizona Sunshine worked really well with Move. Upcoming Solus Project supporting 2 Move is wonderful.

Top Bottom