• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

Phaenos

Sadly, the blinders/comfort settings can't be turned off. I really wish they could. I have an iron stomach and never get VR sickness so it's a bummer.

Well shoot, that's really unfortunate. So the solution to remove the blinders is to simply never roll or flip the car, maintaining solid, controlled traction to the road at all times?

Challenge accepted!

I will fail.

So I recently did a deep dive and picked up Dirt Rally VR and a Thrustmaster T300RS with a stand. I've been playing for a few days now and can't emphasize enough how enjoyable playing Dirt is with this setup. The game is challenging and so satisfyingly immersive.

For those who are playing Dirt, I have a question. I feel like I've scoured the visual options for the game completely forwards and backwards and I can't for the life of me figure out how to turn off the "blinders" when your car starts to go anything other than horizontal. My gut handles this game like a champ, and I'm not concerned about feeling sick with overturning at speed. But the blinders are so severe (obscures like ~70% of your vision?) that it makes it impossible to potentially recover from your mistakes. You can barely see anything when it happens.

Am I just missing a setting somewhere? Can this not be disabled?

Can't be disabled but the better you get the less you see it. It use to really annoy me but one day it happened on a jump I got wrong and I realised that I couldn't remember the last time I had seen it. Would have been great for them to give us the options to turn that stupid stuff off.

I read in a GT Sport preview its also in that but when going at top speeds. I seriously hope that's an option and it was only on because its the standard better safe than sorry demo unit.

charliePure

Neo Member
I think it doesn't, the official blog post made no mention of anything VR while giving detailed listings of what the demo contains. Bummer.

This is a massive shame. Many will be buying their first GT just for the PSVR mode! (Not many, but I'm one of them)

joeblow

That's why VR won't be in the demo. If you can get a taste of GT VR for free, some casuals wouldn't bother to buy the full release.

Planet

That's why VR won't be in the demo. If you can get a taste of GT VR for free, some casuals wouldn't bother to buy the full release.
I think that's the reason, too. But think of those people, would they probably buy the game at full price now that they can't get a small taste of it in VR? My guess is they will just ignore the game now, while some might have been swayed by a demo to buy it despite them not being hardcore racing fans.

At best this decision won't bring them more sales I figure. At worst, it will hurt them a tiny bit.
Next week - starts on the 10th
I wish Sony Europe would make a statement that they're participating here. :/

Australian PSN (EU too I guess) fortnightly sale has a bunch of VR games included.

VR Worlds, Bound, Weeping Doll, Time Machine, Mervils, Statik, Tumble, Pinball FX 2, Castlestorm, Driveclub, Waddle Home, Ace Banana, Smashbox Arena, Pixel Gear, Starblood Arena.

This may be the sale for EU.

Australian PSN (EU too I guess) fortnightly sale has a bunch of VR games included.

VR Worlds, Bound, Weeping Doll, Time Machine, Mervils, Statik, Tumble, Pinball FX 2, Castlestorm, Driveclub, Waddle Home, Ace Banana, Smashbox Arena, Pixel Gear, Starblood Arena.

This may be the sale for EU.

Should probably wait for the big sale, but will probably pick up Statik and Castlestorm.

Should probably wait for the big sale, but will probably pick up Statik and Castlestorm.

That's just it, this may be the 'big' sale. Unless the NA store gets different games.

Pretty sure each region's sales cross over, starting a week apart. This EU sale goes through to Oct 18th so at least it'll be worth waiting to see what is on sale on the 10th.

Come on Obduction get that PSVR patch. I'm in the mood for more exploration plus good puzzles now I'm almost done with The Solus Project (just need one more tower part and collecting them is the only thing I disliked about the game).

However Raw Data and The Invisible Hours are both out this time next week.

Betty

Banned
That's just it, this may be the 'big' sale. Unless the NA store gets different games.

Pretty sure each region's sales cross over, starting a week apart. This EU sale goes through to Oct 18th so at least it'll be worth waiting to see what is on sale on the 10th.

I hope it isn't 'the' big sale, I was hoping Rez would get a deal going.

FDC1

I hope I haven't forgotten anyhing:

PSVR Worlds 24,99€ (20,49€ with PS+)
Here They Lie 9,99€
Bound 7,99€
Tumble VR 5,99€
Super Stardust Ultra VR 9,99€
Hustle Kings VR 9,99€
Starblood Arena 14,99€
Time Machine VR 14,99€ (12,15€ with PS+)
Weeping Doll 3,99€
Pixel Gear 4,99€
Pinball FX2 VR 9,99€
Pinball FX2 VR: Season 1 Pack 15,99€
Pinball FX2 VR: The Walkind Dead 3,99€
Mervils: A VR Adventure 7,99€
Crystal Rift 3,99€
Ace Banana: 4,99€
Waddle Home 3,99€
Smashbox Arena 14,99€
Darknet 4,99€
Castlestorm VR Edition 9,99€
Statik 11,99€

MattAces

An introspective journey that aims to shine a light on mental health and how we deal with things like trauma, guilt and depression.
Anamorphine-755x425.jpg

ShockedScrawnyIrrawaddydolphin-size_restricted.gif

ImmaterialTinyLadybug-size_restricted.gif

MistySphericalFalcon-size_restricted.gif

Anamorphine, is launching on PS4 and PS VR. In this surreal, introspective adventure game, you work through mental health issues like trauma and guilt by re-exploring warping memories. Let’s talk about what this looks like in-game and why it’s one of the most mind-bending narrative-driven games you’ll play this year.
As you can see in these GIFs, the game borders on hallucinogenic. We don’t use the usual text, voice-over, or UI to tell the story. You won’t be clicking buttons to navigate. Instead, we lean into visuals and evocative 3D sound, guiding you where you need to go to work through the life events and emotions that feel like they’ve sculpted themselves into a cage. They’ll show you how to look back at your past – only to have it shatter around you like a torn-up Escher painting. You’ll see yourself get stuck in a nihilistic self-fulfilling prophecy of alcohol abuse and denial. You’ll have to face the future, when living in your past may seem like a vastly more tempting option. By the end, your glass can be half full or half empty, and it’s your choice that determines how Tyler deals with his past and moves into his future.
More at: https://blog.us.playstation.com/201...ve-journey-coming-to-ps4-and-ps-vr-this-year/

MattAces

Anyone else see this article about a HDMI lead that claims to boost AA whilst supporting 1080p 120hz?

https://www.roadtovr.com/hdmi-cable-with-built-in-image-processing-claims-to-enhance-psvr-visuals/

I'm sure I've seen something similar mentioned on here before but this has the backing of a couple of PC tech sites who can see improvements with no detectable latency increase. Be nice be able to smooth out some of Driveclubs jaggies as it never got a proper pro patch...

Overall response from what I've read is mixed.
Some claim to be an improvement, some say it's bad.
Seems like it's just blurring stuff to make it looks smoother.
https://imgur.com/a/A8URg

Also just to note, when it comes to VR comparison, it's nothing but placebo effect impressions, so beware of that.

Cth

I managed to pick up Eagle Flight from Target last night for $11.. in a word, it's fun! Lots of collectibles (go figure, it's Ubisoft)

Just a nice relaxing game. Interesting environment -- I wonder if Megaton Rainfall will utilize similar controls?

Farpoint was also there for $13, I think. I held off on it as I don't know much about it and didn't have the gun add-on.

Shoeless

Oh, pls post your impressions. Could be interesting for my girlfriend (and me).

It's a very good virtual tourism experience. From what I read, the resolution is obviously better on the high power sets like Vive/Oculus, but on PSVR, you still get the sense of scale.

It's also a much better experience if you use the Move controllers, so you can participate in a few of the climbing/ascension segments more naturally. I like it. Taking a virtual tour of Everest with the swelling music and sense of vertigo is much more effective for learning about the mountain than just reading it on Wikipedia. I can see a lot of educational value in VR experiences like this.

One pro-tip. Turn of the DS4 and use the Move controllers to load the game up. The game doesn't seem to recognize the Move controllers at all if the DS4 is on, and will prioritize that instead.

Overall response from what I've read is mixed.
Some claim to be an improvement, some say it's bad.
Seems like it's just blurring stuff to make it looks smoother.
https://imgur.com/a/A8URg

Also just to note, when it comes to VR comparison, it's nothing but placebo effect impressions, so beware of that.

It'd be nice to get a proper analysis by DF or NX to see what they make of it. Like you say, you often get the placebo effect on these things and see what you want to see, but those images don't really tell the story either way unfortunately.

philm87

I hope I haven't forgotten anyhing:

PSVR Worlds 24,99€ (20,49€ with PS+)
Here They Lie 9,99€
Bound 7,99€
Tumble VR 5,99€
Super Stardust Ultra VR 9,99€
Hustle Kings VR 9,99€
Starblood Arena 14,99€
Time Machine VR 14,99€ (12,15€ with PS+)
Weeping Doll 3,99€
Pixel Gear 4,99€
Pinball FX2 VR 9,99€
Pinball FX2 VR: Season 1 Pack 15,99€
Pinball FX2 VR: The Walkind Dead 3,99€
Mervils: A VR Adventure 7,99€
Crystal Rift 3,99€
Ace Banana: 4,99€
Waddle Home 3,99€
Smashbox Arena 14,99€
Darknet 4,99€
Castlestorm VR Edition 9,99€
Statik 11,99€

Driveclub VR as well. £15.99 in the UK.

ffvorax

Ok I had time to play Farpoint a bit more... still the game lacks in gameplay to me, but story is good so far.

Finally I see a different location from a desert or a desert cave!

Arrived to the ship, fighted some robots... variety finally! Well.. .at least something different from giant spiders

But the story in 1 chapter was longer than in all the others... like they rushed all of it for some reason... I think I don't have many chapters in front of me.

To me it's a 7/10 for now. Story is ok, Aim controller is fun and tracking is good, weapons are not many but so far I don't complain, the problem are the locations and enemies... not enough diversity, and enemies AI is not particular brilliant and the level design doesn't help them, but we are talking about a fresh genre for VR so I can understand there are problems to manage it...
No motion sickness at all, but I really feel fatigue playing standing still... as I already said, the more dinamic Superhot VR make standing less tiresome, so I can't play more than 1 hour because my back hurts...

To me it's a 7/10 for now. Story is ok, Aim controller is fun and tracking is good, weapons are not many but so far I don't complain, the problem are the locations and enemies... not enough diversity, and enemies AI is not particular brilliant and the level design doesn't help them, but we are talking about a fresh genre for VR so I can understand there are problems to manage it...
No motion sickness at all, but I really feel fatigue playing standing still... as I already said, the more dinamic Superhot VR make standing less tiresome, so I can't play more than 1 hour because my back hurts...

i enjoyed it a lot more playing sitting down on a beanbag chair, no real need to stay standing. Makes it "play" like a normal FPS game too so you can play it comfortably and not make it feel like work :D

Sniper rifle against the commando enemies is just pure fun, aiming down sights and blasting heads. I sometimes just boot up those missions for the badassery :D

MattAces

One thing I dislike about PSVR games announcement.
ALL OF them are using PCVR footage, didn't even bother recording PSVR version.
Almost every games released recently, we never got a good look at them until people actually buy it.
Raw Data dev refuse to give any detail on PS4 Pro support, control support, or anything at all. The only teaser trailer in PlayStation channel is an old PC trailer.

gmoran

Pretty well most agree that that's what Farpoint is purely viewed as a FPS, and that its elevated by the Aim controller. But for many that elevation just makes it so good. I want to play a game in which I have an assault weapon that plays and feels like that: the Aim gives us that, and so far its Farpoint that delivers on that the most.

I think the pinnacle of Farpoint is the on-line co-op—I've never had a bad co-op partner and I'm still finding it relatively easy to get games (UK). The stages are all designed for tactical play with good comms, and the 2 new stages (Frostfall and Cauldron) are difficult and demand it. Frostfall is also the most gorgeous stage in the entire game. Also, also: VR co-op is so good anyway.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Ok I had time to play Farpoint a bit more... still the game lacks in gameplay to me, but story is good so far.

Finally I see a different location from a desert or a desert cave!

Arrived to the ship, fighted some robots... variety finally! Well.. .at least something different from giant spiders

But the story in 1 chapter was longer than in all the others... like they rushed all of it for some reason... I think I don't have many chapters in front of me.

You are in for a treat then. Come back and tell us how you feel after you beat the game.

majik13

i want to see some hands on impressions before buying :E
There were some preview/impressions from a week or 2 ago posted here.

One of the girls impressions was that the tech and scale are really cool and impressive, but she wasnt totally sold in the gameplay yet. She found the destruction cool and fun, but you fail the mission if you destroy too much stuff.

MattAces

Fair Warning:
Raw Data on PSVR will only feature single player story/campaign.
They are still actively working on PvP/Co-op but no promises on whether it will be released/when.

PC version has 25% during launch, $39.99 before discount.
We have no idea on PSVR price, hopefully we are getting at least a discount or $29.99 for content cut. Either way I'm still buying it day one.

Edit: Got a confirmation, there will be 25% off, unsure if it's PS+ exclusive. Will update more.
Edit2: They will be revealing PS4 Pro support and probably controls soon. Most likely with a blog post.

Kyolux

Fair Warning:
They are still actively working on PvP/Co-op but no promises on whether it will be released/when.

We have no idea on PSVR price, hopefully we are getting at least a discount or $29.99 for content cut. Either way I'm still buying it day one.

Edit: Got a confirmation, there will be 25% off, unsure if it's PS+ exclusive. Will update more.
Edit2: They will be revealing PS4 Pro support and probably controls soon. Most likely with a blog post.

I was looking forward to coop for Raw Data. Oh well. I think I'm still in.

Joystick

Senran Kagura Peach Beach Splash update adds PlayStation VR support with a couple of new VR-exclusive features: VR Character Viewer and VR Diorama. The VR features can be accessed from the Changing Room menu.

VR Character Viewer lets you see your waifu favorite character moving right in front of you with costumes and poses that have been set beforehand, while the VR Diorama lets you put multiple characters on the scene.

Senran Kagura Peach Beach Splash has been recently released in the west for Europe on September 22 and North America on September 26. However as of this writing, there is no news yet on whether these DLCs and VR features will be available in the western releases too or not.

https://senrankagura.blogspot.com/2017/10/ps4-pbs114.html
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...ch-splash-dlc-adds-valkyrie-drive-characters/

Skittles

Fair Warning:

After doing some snopping around. No aim support, dual moves only. Locomotion is artificial or teleport. Can walk forwards with move button and back with square.

Kyolux

After doing some snopping around. No aim support, dual moves only. Locomotion is artificial or teleport. Can walk forwards with move button and back with square.

It's a Vive game at it's core. And was heavy on teleportation and using roomscale when I played it back in Summer 2016. I doubt this core part has changed.

ChouGoku

Do you guys think part of VR sickness is in your head, Its pretty rare that I get VR sickness anymore unless there is a lot of wobble. But I just got a wheel and have been playing a lot of Driveclub. It feels so real, but I can tell sometimes that the lack of G force makes my stomach kind of turn. It didn't do that with the ds4.

MattAces

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a1vigt2DMY
Elder | Raw Data Syndik8 Profile

I don't know about you guys, but Raw Data seems like the ultimate hero game for me.
It's like the best experience you could ever ask for, using super weapons.
You have light saber katana that can charge and slash a powerful energy.
You can block with your light saber katana.
Powerful gauntlet that can be charged and unleash a powerful thrust punch.
Bow that can shoot multiple arrows at once and enemy tracked arrows.

So many cool moments can be done in this game.
I hope there's an extra wave mode or endless mode in the game.

Top Bottom