• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

MattAces

Here's what you should be expecting for Raw Data.
The sp component is the story campaign which consists of 10 missions(no side modes). Each mission can take between 30 minutes to 45 minutes on average (the first few are really short though) and progression of each mission is locked to each character/class.

So you may have reached mission 8 with the pistol character, but you only have access to mission 1 as the katana class because you haven't played as her yet, so the campaign can be played through 4 times with characters to feel and play differently. Each character also levels up per mission completed unlocking new skills or weapons to their arsenal.

Also each mission has difficulty options too (casual, normal, hard and nightmare if i remember right), so nightmare could be considered the challenge mode. I've only played through the campaign (up to mission 9) on normal difficulty playing solo, will try out mission 10 later today alongside harder difficulties later on.

The early missions in the game are standard wave based arenas, with a small rest in between each round. The 2nd half of the campaign starts to introduce gameplay where you go from point a to b taking out enemies on the way or adding interesting gimmicks like security lasers you need to avoid physically. Interested to see how psvr will handle those lasers though (although if superhot works fine, then it shouldn't need any changes for psvr).

So the campaign is short for 1 playthrough (somewhere between 3-4 hours i think) but the 4 unique characters you play as save it since they are so different from eachother (pistol, katana, fist+shotgun, archer).

philm87

Anybody tried the Paranormal Activity game and have any opinions on it? One of the games I'd be looking to get soon after getting a PSVR.

Lakuza

I finished the campaign(raw data) today with one of the character classes so if you have any more questions, ask away and I'll be happy to answer what I can :)

Does the psvr version have full locomotion support or is it teleport only btw? (I was playing it on pc with roomscale+full locomotion).

MattAces

I finished the campaign(raw data) today with one of the character classes so if you have any more questions, ask away and I'll be happy to answer what I can :)

Does the psvr version have full locomotion support or is it teleport only btw? (I was playing it on pc with roomscale+full locomotion).

Yep, it will feature full movement with a bunch of button press.

Anyway Raw Data control scheme.
Primary hand:
X left quick turn
Circle Right quick turn
Triangle Holster
Square meta tool
Move button - Ability selector
Trigger - Grab / Fire

Off hand:
Move button - Teleshift mode - Teleshift
Move Button - Walk mode - Walk forward
Square - Walk mode - Walk backward
X - Walk Mode - Strafe Left
Circle - Walk Mode - Strafe Right
Triangle - Holster
Trigger - Grab / Fire

Walk mode can be controller or head facing.

Lakuza

Yep, it will feature full movement with a bunch of button press.

thats good since the game has a window full of movement options you can tweak so it should be playable for people with motion sickness too. You'll be using the teleport function even if you're using full locomotion too, since you'll need to teleport across large distances in a split second to react to any enemies trying to sneak to your defending point.

That reminds me of gunheart, keep an eye on that game too. I think the devs mentioned that they want to bring it to psvr in future with crossplay with pc vr too.

MattAces

thats good since the game has a window full of movement options you can tweak so it should be playable for people with motion sickness too.

That reminds me of gunheart, keep an eye on that game too. I think the devs mentioned that they want to bring it to psvr in future with crossplay with pc vr too.

Yea, they are working on (hopefully) integrating Aim controller mode.
https://www.reddit.com/r/gunheart/comments/6yyktf/we_got_our_psvr_dev_kit_today_let_the_aim/

Do you guys think part of VR sickness is in your head, Its pretty rare that I get VR sickness anymore unless there is a lot of wobble. But I just got a wheel and have been playing a lot of Driveclub. It feels so real, but I can tell sometimes that the lack of G force makes my stomach kind of turn. It didn't do that with the ds4.
The effect most people feel when they get sick from VR is 100% "in your head" but that doesn't mean it is something you can just ignore without practice. It is input / feedback not matching your experiences IRL.

Since you now have a wheel, your brain is seeing the movement you may experience from actual driving / being a passenger and as you turn, the lack of G-Forces may cause an "alert" within your immune system that you may be experiencing something bad since the visuals and body movement are not being met with the same forces your physical balance is accustomed to.

This is the same problem, in a variety of situations, that triggers people - especially those without VR legs. Usually lateral / turning movement is the big offender, as simply going towards or away from something can be observed as "growing" or "shrinking" so your inner ear / equilibrium isn't affected as prominently.

Lakuza

Oh thats awesome :D A big fan of this game and its being updated quite frequently on pc. I played gunheart on launch for atleast 2 weeks without playing other vr games :) since its early access I've taken a break from it so it can build up more content whilst I finish my backlog of games. The devs are also super active on their discord channel too so its really easy to give feedback (the newbie guide that sticked on their reddit page is mine too, lol)

MattAces

So I'm writing a research report for VR education.
It's interesting that out of 50 college students, zero owner for PSVR/Rift/Vive.
But out of 40 college/university lecturers, 4 owners of PSVR and zero for rift/vive.

Kyolux

So I'm writing a research report for VR education.
It's interesting that out of 50 college students, zero owner for PSVR/Rift/Vive.
But out of 40 college/university lecturers, 4 owners of PSVR and zero for rift/vive.

University I went to (like back in 07-'10) was using VR back then for psychology research regarding fears and stuff I think. I'm guessing they must be pretty thrilled at the advance in equipment.

tr00per

University I went to (like back in 07-'10) was using VR back then for psychology research regarding fears and stuff I think. I'm guessing they must be pretty thrilled at the advance in equipment.

I just wired up a VR lab at my local University. They'll be using a rift and a vive for research and recreational purposes

Joystick

Try PlayStation VR at Retailers Nationwide (US)

In-store demos for PlayStation VR have returned, now through the holiday season!

We're bringing back our in-store demo program for PlayStation VR. Starting today through the holiday season, experience the magic of virtual reality first hand. Our portfolio of PS VR games has grown significantly to more than a 100 games as of September 2017, and we wanted you to get a chance to try out the latest content first-hand.

Play PS VR at more than 200 Best Buy and GameStop locations across the US. Click here to find out demo locations, dates, and times. We're going to kick off this program with demos of Gran Turismo Sport, Final Fantasy XV: Monster of the Deep, Superhot VR, Dino Frontier, Raw Data, and Voltron.

More game demos will be added and continue through the end of this year, so keep an eye out for any updates here on PlayStation.Blog. And for Canadians, the mall tour and in-store demos that have been running the past couple months will also continue through the holiday season.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/playstation-vr/trial/
https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/10/06/try-playstation-vr-at-retailers-nationwide/

Anybody tried the Paranormal Activity game and have any opinions on it? One of the games I'd be looking to get soon after getting a PSVR.

It's not as good as RE7 but it's not bad, once you get used to the controls, (we really need analogue sticks on the Moves) I enjoyed it, it has 2 endings and it's pretty creepy, with a few good jump scares.

Graphics aren't bad but can be a little bit low res. If you like VR horror games, then it's worth checking out but I'd pick it up in a sale if you can, rather than pay full price.

After coming off Arizona Sunshine and Farpoint in Co-op with a friend, Is Raw Data SP only or does it have some sort of co-op aswell? Ideally not horde waves.

Otherwise my next PSVR purchase will probably be the Inpatient. Need another R7 type horror experience!

MattAces

After coming off Arizona Sunshine and Farpoint in Co-op with a friend, Is Raw Data SP only or does it have some sort of co-op aswell? Ideally not horde waves.

Otherwise my next PSVR purchase will probably be the Inpatient. Need another R7 type horror experience!

SP only. You really shouldn't miss it.

Anyway, old video but here's the katana-saber ninja girl. I'm sure this video will convince many people into getting this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQnfQAbF_bI

This will be my first playthrough. Then maybe I'll go for the bow guy second.

philm87

It's not as good as RE7 but it's not bad, once you get used to the controls, (we really need analogue sticks on the Moves) I enjoyed it, it has 2 endings and it's pretty creepy, with a few good jump scares.

Graphics aren't bad but can be a little bit low res. If you like VR horror games, then it's worth checking out but I'd pick it up in a sale if you can, rather than pay full price.

Cool. Thanks for your view. I'm a fan of the Paranormal Activity films so will probably look out for it on a sale, even get it before I buy the psvr if it's on sale. Not sure I'll last the whole thing mind you, didn't even make it through Outlast the tv screen, let alone a horror game in vr.

ChouGoku

The effect most people feel when they get sick from VR is 100% "in your head" but that doesn't mean it is something you can just ignore without practice. It is input / feedback not matching your experiences IRL.

Since you now have a wheel, your brain is seeing the movement you may experience from actual driving / being a passenger and as you turn, the lack of G-Forces may cause an "alert" within your immune system that you may be experiencing something bad since the visuals and body movement are not being met with the same forces your physical balance is accustomed to.

This is the same problem, in a variety of situations, that triggers people - especially those without VR legs. Usually lateral / turning movement is the big offender, as simply going towards or away from something can be observed as "growing" or "shrinking" so your inner ear / equilibrium isn't affected as prominently.

Definitely, I always thought VR sickness was just from seeing things that your body isn't doing, which outside of a dream should not happen unless you are poisioned. I thought that was more of a biological/evolutionary thing but it is interesting that a lot of it is just in your head and fully "knowing" what you are seeing isn't real

Kyolux

So not only is there a sale on Tuesday for PSVR games.

We get some new games too!

- The Invisible Hours
- Radial-G: Racing Revolved
- Raw Data

Raw Data is a lock. Invisible Hours is tempting, depending on how it turns out.

Not interested in Radial-G, but I'm sure some are.

Definitely, I always thought VR sickness was just from seeing things that your body isn't doing, which outside of a dream should not happen unless you are poisioned. I thought that was more of a biological/evolutionary thing but it is interesting that a lot of it is just in your head and fully "knowing" what you are seeing isn't real

We don't actually know and the only thing that seems to be consistent across the small amount of studies is that the brain is getting confused thus the feelings similar to motion sickness. One thing we know is that for some people trying to focus their eyes in what appears to be three dimensions but is actually two can cause this, so not as straightforward and can be multiple reasons for different individuals.

The hypothesis for postural instability being a leading factor has started to gather a lot more weight recently though due to VR studies. Basically your brain anticipates movement and adjusts your posture. When this is incorrect motion sickness follows, this could explain why some people can adapt quickly as they learn the new movements.

If posture adaptation or visual stimuli mismatch is the cause I'm interested in why I haven't had any form of VR sickness whatsoever and I have really pushed myself with the tech. I have read a few comments though of people saying certain games movement doesn't feel right to them but usually within a min the new movements feel natural for me and that might be the difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV_VWevBktc
Some mCable comparison.
This is recorded from social screen, so you probably won't be able to tell the difference.

Seems like it increases the contrast and saturation too.

LinusTechTips video about mCable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjJzibFTaqA&feature=youtu.be

Thanks for posting these, I'm actually surprised to see that many people are putting the DSP cable on the final leg to the headset rather than the feed to the breakout box, so the processing is occurring on the warped image and not being sent to the social screen at all. Again it'd be great to have a technical analysis on an actual PSVR setup, instead you get pro sites reviewing it from a non VR perspective and less technical people (like PSVR Frank) doing what we'd like to know about.

I found this too which is a real shame as it's a great VR Racer.

Hopefully DCVR will get a PS+ release next which will give the numbers a boost. RIGS seems to have faded online again unfortunately tho, I found game online for the first couple of weeks but nothing last time I tried.

Planet

Invisible Hours is tempting, depending on how it turns out.
I'm interested, too. The only thing about it yet that I saw was a re-few by a certain re-fewer on YouTube who specializes in PlayStation Fee-Arr, if you know who I mean. ;)

He gave the game a quite positiff ferr-dict. Usually he is quite a bit generous with his judgement, seeing firtue in rather bland titles, so I listen more to what he says than his numbers. And this makes me think The Infissible Hours might be an interesting form of storytelling with almost no gameplay. I'll put it on my wishlist, but won't be picking it up immediately.

MattAces

Holy shit Sairento VR coming to PSVR around Q1/Q2,
Game trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgzMzDJ-wAM
Sairento VR - The Ultimate Cyber Ninja Experience
More: http://store.steampowered.com/app/555880/Sairento_VR/

Right after this post, I was very interested in Sairento since Raw Data is already confirmed. Now Sairento is confirmed too!
The best swords in VR are in Raw Data and Sairento.

Someone found this:
u4lqjYj.png

HeartfeltLeafyArabianoryx-size_restricted.gif

PettyThriftyAphid-size_restricted.gif

AnimatedFelineAlpinegoat-size_restricted.gif

AgitatedWealthyAfricanhornbill-size_restricted.gif

ffvorax

So I finished Farpoint.

The game at a certain point is clearly rushed on the story for some reason... killing the good pacing that there was before.

And after that it throws to you an insane amount of enemies... O_O

They managed it bad, like if the first and second half after that point were made by different teams!

Anyway it's fun to use the Aim for sure, but without it the game would have been quite bad in my hopinion... a decent VR experience, but also forgettable.

I really enjoyed it but most people have control issues. The control scheme is horrible. I adjusted to it really quickly but if you are unfamiliar with the move controllers you may have issues.

I found it really scary but after a playthrough you get numb to it. I got the platinum on it and by the end I could breeze through it in around 45 mins. Ihere is a fair bit of wandering and trying to find the trigger to move the story on so can be very slow.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

I thought it was awful. The game design is barely existent. It consists of just walking around a house encountering locked doors. Eventually, you walk through a trigger that opens a door somewhere in the house, but there is almost never an indication that you had entered the trigger.

You basically just run around the entire house constantly, hoping that you ran through a trigger volume that opens another section of the house... which then makes the game even more repetitive and a slog as you have to run around an even larger area trying to find a door that might have opened.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV_VWevBktc
Some mCable comparison.
This is recorded from social screen, so you probably won't be able to tell the difference.

Seems like it increases the contrast and saturation too.

LinusTechTips video about mCable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjJzibFTaqA&feature=youtu.be

So does this thing work for real?

So I finished Farpoint.

The game at a certain point is clearly rushed on the story for some reason... killing the good pacing that there was before.

And after that it throws to you an insane amount of enemies... O_O

They managed it bad, like if the first and second half after that point were made by different teams!

Anyway it's fun to use the Aim for sure, but without it the game would have been quite bad in my hopinion... a decent VR experience, but also forgettable.

It feels like the focus on the game changed some half way through. I LOVED the changed, but it didn't go in line with the story at all, but it made the gameplay better funny enough.

dmix90

Just tried Assetto Corsa with PSVR with a steering wheel. Holy jesus christ. HOLY JESUS CHRIST. Positional tracking didnt even work( i need a second PS3 EYE camera ) and i was still blown away. If GT Sport is anywhere close to that in VR mode..... :O
If it's anywhere close and with comfy user experience( should be not an issue on console ) like no pain in the ass with connecting everything, starting races from 2D screen etc.

I just felt like the first day i got my PSVR unit right now. This is amazing. Hopefully Sport will deliver as well.

Just tried Assetto Corsa with PSVR with a steering wheel. Holy jesus christ. HOLY JESUS CHRIST. Positional tracking didnt even work( i need a second PS3 EYE camera ) and i was still blown away. If GT Sport is anywhere close to that in VR mode..... :O
If it's anywhere close and with comfy user experience( should be not an issue on console ) like no pain in the ass with connecting everything, starting races from 2D screen etc.

I just felt like the first day i got my PSVR unit right now. This is amazing. Hopefully Sport will deliver as well.

If it is similar to the normal game it should be great. Been playing the demo for the last few hours and the 1v1 rally races were great fun on the hardest difficulty so I'm hoping this translates to VR.

spectator

Positional tracking didnt even work( i need a second PS3 EYE camera )

???

Also, is this a mode that's coming as DLC? I've never heard anything about PSVR support for Assetto Corsa and the version on the (NA) PSN store right now has none of the usual PSVR disclaimers.

???

Also, is this a mode that's coming as DLC? I've never heard anything about PSVR support for Assetto Corsa and the version on the (NA) PSN store right now has none of the usual PSVR disclaimers.

I guess dmix90 played it on PC with his PSVR headset.

Man, amazon.fr seems to have fucked up yet another order of mine. My Aim Controller allegedly shipped on Sept 30th and should have arrived last friday and now they say it'll maybe arrive one month later, wtf? And when I check tracking on the UPS site, it says:"Waiting for package to arrive at facility", so they actually never got the items from amazon.

Lakuza

How was Theseus on psvr?
its coming to pc this month (no new content, just upgrades to performance and visuals) so was interested to see if its worth getting at some point (won't get it day 1 since I'm saving my wallet for other games this month and the next).
Length is the key factor for whether I buy it. If it's like a 3 hour game, I'll pass unless its really cheap on sale or something.

MattAces

How was Theseus on psvr?
its coming to pc this month (no new content, just upgrades to performance and visuals) so was interested to see if its worth getting at some point (won't get it day 1 since I'm saving my wallet for other games this month and the next).
Length is the key factor for whether I buy it. If it's like a 3 hour game, I'll pass unless its really cheap on sale or something.

It was advertised as 3-4 hours. Most people completed it at around 1.5~2 hours and it was extremely linear with little to no puzzle elements. Only great thing is the atmosphere.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
???

I think they are using a hack that allows you to use a PSVR headset on a PC.

Top Bottom