• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

then why complain about psvr shovelware? There is more shovelware on flat PS4 than on psvr.

so why complain about minigames when you could be playing those ports or Farpoint, Astro Bot, Blood and Truth, TWD Saints and Sinners, The Mage's Tale, Golem, The Persistence, etc? It's like you missed all the great full games on psvr to play Carnival Games and the likes...
So many choices. I do want more full freedom action games.

More (lots more) PSVR pics:

URDw9r8.jpg

fp8q3Ao.jpg

Dt4W9sQ.jpg

G8y9qo2.jpg

XeSznNh.jpg

S2zvk0o.jpg

cnPj9Vb.jpg

U2pFuR7.jpg

z45tnlz.jpg

b6c6eR1.jpg

92vgoi2.jpg

DdsGqkV.jpg

KQYW0gP.jpg

XJwfEmf.jpg

J5HEOi3.jpg

1Qqd6nv.jpg

AJSoRjb.jpg

9eWDGMJ.jpg

qK6yenj.jpg

yjBScQp.jpg

ENRdpie.jpg

Y5EP4DT.jpg

gaLXNcN.jpg

V9ib8qy.jpg

UHE0hS2.jpg

CLj7Y9r.jpg

D4ZsIbu.jpg

vZoA7PQ.jpg

TJbJLD0.jpg

6S6gGZO.jpg

SDvgtXO.jpg

Kev Kev

ok so i bit the bullet and got a pair of new ps4 move controllers for about $150

oh well just money right... so i'm looking for suggestions for games to try now that i have these

i downloaded a bunch of demos including ironman and all 3 demo discs. i want to buy twd: saints and sinners but im waiting for a sale or some kind of price drop. whats the difference with tourist edition? any tips on using them (as it relates to camera, play space stuff, etc) or are they pretty intuitive? i saw some little 7 or 8 dollar games or "experiences" or whatever on the ps store. any of those any good?

thanks for any help!

Rudius

ok so i bit the bullet and got a pair of new ps4 move controllers for about $150

oh well just money right... so i'm looking for suggestions for games to try now that i have these

i downloaded a bunch of demos including ironman and all 3 demo discs. i want to buy twd: saints and sinners but im waiting for a sale or some kind of price drop. whats the difference with tourist edition? any tips on using them (as it relates to camera, play space stuff, etc) or are they pretty intuitive? i saw some little 7 or 8 dollar games or "experiences" or whatever on the ps store. any of those any good?

thanks for any help!
If you play games with bow and arrow, like Skyrim, or games in which you hold a weapon with two hands put the camera higher, so that the moves don't loose tracking when one is in front of the other.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned

thanks for any help!
Spend some time in the Confirm Position setting (hold PS Button, go to VR options, it's in there somewhere). Stand exactly in the space you plan to play in with the controllers in your hands and move around, reach up and down, do maneuvers like shooting a bow, ect. Watch the camera feed and determine if the controllers are going out of frame. It'll help you figure out how to angle the camera and how far away to stand.

I feel like sometimes people will assume that because they are standing in front of the camera that it can see everything without knowing about its strange cone of visibility.

If you like table tennis, I highly recommend Racket Fury. It'll just depend on whether it's worth it to you personally to get it while it's not on sale because with a low online playerbase, you'll likely only play the campaign mode (which was extremely worth the $12 I paid on sale).

thanks for any help!

just download the free Rec Room, don't mind all the kids (mute them if needed), and go have fun either creating rooms yourself or figuring out others creations or playing nice rounds of paintball or laser tag or their crown in the jewel, the co-op quests, like Jumbotron or Isle of Lost Skulls

Rec Room deserves a lot more recognition and credit, specially once you get past its Wii Sports looks. Their bow mechanics is some of the very best in VR.

as for other games, there are tons. Immersion really begins when you have hands to touch and handle virtual objects. TWD SS, Killing Floor Incursion, Borderlands 2, Raw Data, Blood and Truth, Skyrim, NMS, Sairento, Dreams, Apex Construct, LA Noire, etc...

Last edited:

Kev Kev

If you play games with bow and arrow, like Skyrim, or games in which you hold a weapon with two hands put the camera higher, so that the moves don't loose tracking when one is in front of the other.
Spend some time in the Confirm Position setting (hold PS Button, go to VR options, it's in there somewhere). Stand exactly in the space you plan to play in with the controllers in your hands and move around, reach up and down, do maneuvers like shooting a bow, ect. Watch the camera feed and determine if the controllers are going out of frame. It'll help you figure out how to angle the camera and how far away to stand.

I feel like sometimes people will assume that because they are standing in front of the camera that it can see everything without knowing about its strange cone of visibility.

If you like table tennis, I highly recommend Racket Fury. It'll just depend on whether it's worth it to you personally to get it while it's not on sale because with a low online playerbase, you'll likely only play the campaign mode (which was extremely worth the $12 I paid on sale).
just download the free Rec Room, don't mind all the kids (mute them if needed), and go have fun either creating rooms yourself or figuring out others creations or playing nice rounds of paintball or laser tag or their crown in the jewel, the co-op quests, like Jumbotron or Isle of Lost Skulls

Rec Room deserves a lot more recognition and credit, specially once you get past its Wii Sports looks. Their bow mechanics is some of the very best in VR.

as for other games, there are tons. Immersion really begins when you have hands to touch and handle virtual objects. TWD SS, Killing Floor Incursion, Borderlands 2, Raw Data, Blood and Truth, Skyrim, NMS, Sairento, Dreams, Apex Construct, LA Noire, etc...
thanks for the replies! i'll try all of that later today.

i played for an hour or so on then last night and had a good time, however i'm having trouble getting used to turning with the buttons. i think once i get a better feel for that i will be able to enjoy these games more. flying around as iron man was fun and i really started to get used to it after 30 minutes or so... but still, i felt like if i could use my head to move around more than that would seriously help. maybe not i dunno, but it feels very weird to use the buttons to turn, and then some of the other moves you do using the buttons while holding the triggers AND making sure the thrusters are pointed properly 🥵 felt like a chore tbqh. think i just need more tine to get used to em

anyways, i'll let you know how it goes!

i played for an hour or so on then last night and had a good time, however i'm having trouble getting used to turning with the buttons. i think once i get a better feel for that i will be able to enjoy these games more. flying around as iron man was fun and i really started to get used to it after 30 minutes or so... but still, i felt like if i could use my head to move around more than that would seriously help. maybe not i dunno, but it feels very weird to use the buttons to turn, and then some of the other moves you do using the buttons while holding the triggers AND making sure the thrusters are pointed properly 🥵 felt like a chore tbqh. think i just need more tine to get used to em

feels more natural with use

either way, Iron-Man was not really made for turning with buttons: use your whole body, turn just as if you're really flying

they went through great pains to implement 100% full 360 tracking on psvr noted limited tracking. It's amazing by itself and totally worth it. Just beware of cable so not to trip over

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned

Yeah, it definitely takes some time to acclimate with the controls. I think Skyrim got my brain wired for it. Most games just use the Skyrim controls, so it is a nice starting place to get used to moving around with Moves.

It was just a shame in 2010 that the Moves didn't have analog sticks on them, but now that they are the control mechanism for VR, it's a downright travesty lol

Kev Kev

how is no man sky on psvr?

like most, i was drooling over no mans sky for years before it came out. and then... well, i think most of us know the story. as a result of that meltdown of a release, i was turned off and wound up buying the game on xbox a couple years after it released. and i wasnt crazy about it, but it was enjoyable enough.

now, ive heard they have done an amazing job post release so my question is... is it worth it for me to buy on psvr now? i really want to give it another shot (i did have a lot of fun... it just didnt hook me for long) and just the idea of exploring and flying around that game in vr is really exciting me. but if it sucks then obviously ill pass...

thoughts?

Grinchy

Banned

like most, i was drooling over no mans sky for years before it came out. and then... well, i think most of us know the story. as a result of that meltdown of a release, i was turned off and wound up buying the game on xbox a couple years after it released. and i wasnt crazy about it, but it was enjoyable enough.

now, ive heard they have done an amazing job post release so my question is... is it worth it for me to buy on psvr now? i really want to give it another shot (i did have a lot of fun... it just didnt hook me for long) and just the idea of exploring and flying around that game in vr is really exciting me. but if it sucks then obviously ill pass...

thoughts?
I think it's so blurry and ugly that I can't even recommend it. Awesome that they went to the trouble of getting the whole game in VR, but it doesn't even have a Pro patch. Getting it to run 60fps in VR must have been a major hurdle on the base PS4 and it shows in the visuals a lot.

Resenge

I think it's so blurry and ugly that I can't even recommend it. Awesome that they went to the trouble of getting the whole game in VR, but it doesn't even have a Pro patch. Getting it to run 60fps in VR must have been a major hurdle on the base PS4 and it shows in the visuals a lot.
I agree it is very blurry but if theres one thing VR can do is make me ignore that. NMS is worth a punt in VR, took me an hour or two to ignore the blurryness but it's worth it especially if you can find a friend to play with.

The first time I was on a planet and my brother flew through the atmosphere and landed his space ship next to me on the planet surface was a wow moment.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

I agree it is very blurry but if theres one thing VR can do is make me ignore that. NMS is worth a punt in VR, took me an hour or two to ignore the blurryness but it's worth it especially if you can find a friend to play with.

The first time I was on a planet and my brother flew through the atmosphere and landed his space ship next to me on the planet surface was a wow moment.
yeah its on 50% off sale right now so im tempted. i wasnt too bothered by the bluriness of other games, which i had been warned about, but i didnt think it was nearly as bad as some people said. ill probably wind up getting it. im a sucker for first person exploration stuff

thoughts?

I'm biased because I essentially live a second life inside NMS in VR.

VR implementation is top-notch. Being there is priceless. But the price of admission on psvr is blurry graphics - it's alright in close range, but given this is a game with such vast landscapes, it stands out as blurry when compared to most other games. But I don't see how they could squeeze PS4 any further. It gets to you, but after 50 hours you just don't mind being a myopic alien anymore...

summing up: one of the most worthwhile games on psvr

Wonko_C

I second this, if you can get over the blurryness you'll be fine here too. It was my personal VR GOTY for that year.

I got the game for $15 and got 100+ hours out of it. Even if it's just for the campaign which takes like 20 hours it's well worth it.

waiting for Dreams and meanwhile in my ongoing cosmic saga in NMS

however, I was checking PSN and it came to my attention that Far cry 5 is dirty cheap - like, it's cheaper than most psvr crappy shovelware. So, I just couldn't pass on it - my third flat AAA game since 2018.

and I'll tell you this: I'd give any amount of money for enhanced PS5 of games like this in VR. any.

been too much into Skyrim and Borderlands that I forgot about current generation graphics - it's brutal. I just wish I had the gun in my hand and was there in those amazing natural landscapes...

Resenge

if you don't like NMS I don't think this will change your mind

NMS is a game that comes in drops - each drop doesn't mean much by itself, but after a rain you're all soaked and singing...
I like it in VR, not so much on flat screen. Im just wondering if those new procedurally generated ships are fun to explore.

I like it in VR, not so much on flat screen. Im just wondering if those new procedurally generated ships are fun to explore.

no, not so much. NMS is fun as a whole, when you're working your way towards your current goals. The derelict freighters are as fun as going into a cave to mine resources.

I do hope this system is used for ruins and crashed ships as well, because exploring mazes is still far more fun than knowing exactly where each stuff is in these places...

Last edited:

Kev Kev

I'm biased because I essentially live a second life inside NMS in VR.

VR implementation is top-notch. Being there is priceless. But the price of admission on psvr is blurry graphics - it's alright in close range, but given this is a game with such vast landscapes, it stands out as blurry when compared to most other games. But I don't see how they could squeeze PS4 any further. It gets to you, but after 50 hours you just don't mind being a myopic alien anymore...

summing up: one of the most worthwhile games on psvr
i went ahead and bought bc it was $25. and dude... its been amazing. now, first of all, yes i can understand the blurry graphics complaint. its totally valid and, well... not much else to say about that. im really really easy to entertain so i have no problem at all just looking past it.

but ill be god damned if i didnt have another unforgettable vr experience with this game. holy shit, it is blowing my mind.

all that hype for NMS when it was first announced, how we all freaked out about it for years, it all totally died when this game released and i heard all the negative reviews, and then when i downloaded and played on xbox a couple years later... i dunno, it just didnt hook me, the hype died.

but all that hype and all that build up finally paid off for NMS on VR. this game is made for VR (well, clearly not considering the blur lmao, but you know what i mean) and i genuinely feel like im having the exact experience, no an even better experience, then i had imagined years ago when it was first announced.

im so glad they had this sale bc i absolutely would not have bought it full price. however, knowing what i know now, i legit would have paid double. this one is going down in the "one of the best video game experiences of my life" category.

had a cool moment last night... i remember being above a planet, in space, and then flipping over and just staring up at the planet from my cockpit, taking a hit ah weed, and just kicked back on my bed and took in the view just thinkin, holy shit im in space :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: and i never played past a few hours on my NMS run so this is brand new and fresh for me (another huge factor why im able to look past the blur)

i went ahead and bought bc it was $25. and dude... its been amazing. now, first of all, yes i can understand the blurry graphics complaint. its totally valid and, well... not much else to say about that. im really really easy to entertain so i have no problem at all just looking past it.

but ill be god damned if i didnt have another unforgettable vr experience with this game. holy shit, it is blowing my mind.

all that hype for NMS when it was first announced, how we all freaked out about it for years, it all totally died when this game released and i heard all the negative reviews, and then when i downloaded and played on xbox a couple years later... i dunno, it just didnt hook me, the hype died.

but all that hype and all that build up finally paid off for NMS on VR. this game is made for VR (well, clearly not considering the blur lmao, but you know what i mean) and i genuinely feel like im having the exact experience, no an even better experience, then i had imagined years ago when it was first announced.

im so glad they had this sale bc i absolutely would not have bought it full price. however, knowing what i know now, i legit would have paid double. this one is going down in the "one of the best video game experiences of my life" category.

had a cool moment last night... i remember being above a planet, in space, and then flipping over and just staring up at the planet from my cockpit, taking a hit ah weed, and just kicked back on my bed and took in the view just thinkin, holy shit im in space :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: and i never played past a few hours on my NMS run so this is brand new and fresh for me (another huge factor why im able to look past the blur)

yes, it's so mind-blowing I don't care I'm an alien with myopia

I remember first time I took off from the planet and looked to the side of the cockpit and saw the cloud-covered planet surface. Breathtaking sight. And you've seen nothing yet. Wait until you begin building your base and terraforming.

I think its main issue besides blurriness on psvr is that the HUD is too intrusive, often comes in the way of immersion. I turn it off when I want to just chill, but to actually play it needs to be on...

no mention of psvr in their Future of Games, Astro striped of VR, developers not planning nor mentioning VR anymore...

the changes inside Sony after some key people stepped down few months ago are really appalling... this and them not caring about exclusives too are really leaning me towards pc VR

Resenge

no mention of psvr in their Future of Games, Astro striped of VR, developers not planning nor mentioning VR anymore...

the changes inside Sony after some key people stepped down few months ago are really appalling... this and them not caring about exclusives too are really leaning me towards pc VR

It mentions it's coming to PSVR and PS5 is compatible with PSVR, PSVR2 has not been announced yet and Sony said not in the first year of release I think, so its understandable that they wouldn't mention PS5 VR although it really does work on PS5 through PSVR support. The sky is not falling on PS5 yet.

PCVR is awesome though so if you are interested why not get it.

Last edited:

Romulus

Psvr ps5 will be a big thing. They just need to sell the masses on the idea that flat gamers are the priority. They need to get that big push out of the way first because most console gamers are skiddish cattle. "Omg sony pushing VR down our throats! Just like kinect!"
Once the move 10-15 million units ahead of xbox then they'll slowly talk about it. Their egg is flat gamers though, and they have be careful with it.

Last edited:
Psvr ps5 will be a big thing. They just need to sell the masses on the idea that flat gamers are the priority. They need to get that big push out of the way first because most console gamers are skiddish cattle. "Omg sony pushing VR down our throats! Just like kinect!"
Once the move 10-15 million units ahead of xbox then they'll slowly talk about it. Their egg is flat gamers though, and they have be careful with it.

so in other words, the psvr compatibility of PS5 is useless and they won't allow PS5 extra power to be used for supersampling resolution and higher framerates in current PS4 VR games and won't allow you to play the new Astro game or GT7 on psvr

that's just so wrong

Romulus

so in other words, the psvr compatibility of PS5 is useless and they won't allow PS5 extra power to be used for supersampling resolution and higher framerates in current PS4 VR games and won't allow you to play the new Astro game or GT7 on psvr

that's just so wrong

I dont understand how that post is evidence of that on the whole.

Rudius

waiting for Dreams and meanwhile in my ongoing cosmic saga in NMS

however, I was checking PSN and it came to my attention that Far cry 5 is dirty cheap - like, it's cheaper than most psvr crappy shovelware. So, I just couldn't pass on it - my third flat AAA game since 2018.

and I'll tell you this: I'd give any amount of money for enhanced PS5 of games like this in VR. any.

been too much into Skyrim and Borderlands that I forgot about current generation graphics - it's brutal. I just wish I had the gun in my hand and was there in those amazing natural landscapes...
I'M currently playing Borderlands 2 VR, great game with clear visuals, although from the PS3 Era.

I agree with you that Ubisoft should port those first person games to VR, and companies like Activision and EA should do the same. I would play all those CoDs and NFS if they were in VR.

Perhaps on PS5?

Last edited:

Kev Kev

I'M currently playing Borderlands 2 VR, great game with clear visuals, although from the PS3 Era.

I agree with you that Ubisoft should port those first person games to VR, and companies like Activision and EA should do the same. I would play all those CoDs and NFS if they were in VR.

Perhaps on PS5?
ya know i never got around to playing borderlands 2 but loved the first one. did they do a good job?. ill have to check it out once i get through with NMS.

Last edited:

that's just so wrong
What are you even on about? Are you hearing voices no one else could hear, because I see nothing like what you think you are replying to in the person you were quoting.

Shmunter

Reading to much into it. Sony like any corp is focusing their messaging on an upcoming product. Keeping it simple.

PSVR 2 will be announced eventually.

RavageX

ya know i never got around to playing borderlands 2 but loved the first one. did they do a good job?. ill have to check it out once i get through with NMS.

I keep trying to play it with the AIM controller, it works but it might be better with the dualshock? Not sure. The game itself is quite nice in VR.

I keep trying to play it with the AIM controller, it works but it might be better with the dualshock? Not sure. The game itself is quite nice in VR.

I play Borderlands with Moves and it rocks: shoot with one hand, punch them with the other, and hand powers. That's as far as VR interactions go, the rest is this solid action game with tons of content and great level design that I too gladly didn't play back then.

Top Bottom