• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

Shoeless

I'm not an american ;) around here AC is the exception but we have central heating!

Now that's what I'm talking about, some more real 1st party support, sounds great, if true that's almost megaton territory for PSVR.

Edit: could be COLONY WARS, right???1

I don't want to get my hopes up. It's too painful. Especially because it seems like a traditional starfighter game with a good single-player campaign would be a no-brainer, and yet somehow every VR developer forgot about this, except the guys who made Elite, who patched it in later. It seems obvious, and yet so many talented studios missed this, then started teasing us with single-mission demos like Star Wars and COD.

I don't want to get my hopes up. It's too painful. Especially because it seems like a traditional starfighter game with a good single-player campaign would be a no-brainer, and yet somehow every VR developer forgot about this, except the guys who made Elite, who patched it in later. It seems obvious, and yet so many talented studios missed this, then started teasing us with single-mission demos like Star Wars and COD.

To me it's just a matter of time for a meaty SP campaign focused (with added MP of course) space opera to appear, it's just such a good fit and the best part is, like RE7 it doesn't need to be VR exclusive, so the risk is minimized. Be it Star Wars, Colony Wars or Duty Wars, it'll happen, but we'll need to be patient ;)

So I'm on a vacation in Thailand at the moment, and finally got to demo PSVR. My goodness​ all, the optics on this are incredible! I had no idea farpoint would look so damn beautiful. I spent at least 5 minutes in the lobby waving light over stuff lol.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Does anyone know if Pinball FX VR support PS4Pro? I got the game yesterday, and while it's pretty awesome to play in VR, I wish they'd used some better AA method, as some of the table elements can look jaggedy. The best solution I could think of is to make the table as high as possible, and then lean so that I'm closer to it, which always makes things look better.

Also, I've played and finished Statik demo - and though it was awesome. Is the demo representative of the full game quality?

j0hnnix

Quick question(s). I got a company award gift card and I can say I can get the PSVR now.. the only worries I have is how important is it to be in front of the camera, do I need to move sticks for until dawn , RE7 and how do you guys manage the box with an HDR box, I've read and asked before seems the only option is an HDMI splitter, any specific one?

Probably purchasing in a few days.. there's a bundle on Amazon for 566 , move controllers, camera, headset, PSVR worlds, until dawn and RE7 but if I don't need the move sticks I can reduce the cost.

Shoeless

the only worries I have is how important is it to be in front of the camera,

It's basically mission critical. If you can't be in front of the camera, you can't feasibly play in VR mode, since the camera needs to be able to see the helmet in order to track movement. If this is going to be a problem, you'll either need to move your PS4 somewhere else where the camera can be properly positioned, or rethink your purchase of PSVR.

do I need to move sticks for until dawn

You don't need the Move sticks for any game, but for the games that do use them, like Until Dawn, it's usually a more fun option. Same as with Farpoint, you can play with a DualShock controller, but most people will tell you if you can play with Aim, do it. Batman, Fruit Ninja and a few other games are all much, much more immersive and fun with Move controllers, so it's up to you.

Quick question(s). I got a company award gift card and I can say I can get the PSVR now.. the only worries I have is how important is it to be in front of the camera, do I need to move sticks for until dawn , RE7 and how do you guys manage the box with an HDR box, I've read and asked before seems the only option is an HDMI splitter, any specific one?

Probably purchasing in a few days.. there's a bundle on Amazon for 566 , move controllers, camera, headset, PSVR worlds, until dawn and RE7 but if I don't need the move sticks I can reduce the cost.

It is absolutely imperative that you are forward facing towards the camera, and for best results, camera should be slightly taller than you pointed slightly downward. Tracking will not work if the camera cant see your front.

Move sticks add an amazing amount to the experience but aren't "required" for most** titles. But some that use them do require them (job simulator for instance).

As far as splitters and all that, someone else will have to address that I'm still on PS4 reg and 1080p 😝

j0hnnix

It's basically mission critical. If you can't be in front of the camera, you can't feasibly play in VR mode, since the camera needs to be able to see the helmet in order to track movement. If this is going to be a problem, you'll either need to move your PS4 somewhere else where the camera can be properly positioned, or rethink your purchase of PSVR.

You don't need the Move sticks for any game, but for the games that do use them, like Until Dawn, it's usually a more fun option. Same as with Farpoint, you can play with a DualShock controller, but most people will tell you if you can play with Aim, do it. Batman, Fruit Ninja and a few other games are all much, much more immersive and fun with Move controllers, so it's up to you.

It is absolutely imperative that you are forward facing towards the camera, and for best results, camera should be slightly taller than you pointed slightly downward. Tracking will not work if the camera cant see your front.

Move sticks add an amazing amount to the experience but aren't "required" for most** titles. But some that use them do require them (job simulator for instance).

As far as splitters and all that, someone else will have to address that I'm still on PS4 reg and 1080p 😝

No issues with being in front I just need to move the sofa around.. which I've been wanting to do for a while so this is a good excuse lol.

I'll stick with the move controllers then.. guess only issue is the HDR+PSVR box issue. If a splitter is needed rather get the whole thing in one order.

Shoeless

No issues with being in front I just need to move the sofa around.. which I've been wanting to do for a while so this is a good excuse lol.

I'll stick with the move controllers then.. guess only issue is the HDR+PSVR box issue. If a splitter is needed rather get the whole thing in one order.

You won't regret sticking with the Move controllers, especially if you're going to playing Until Dawn. The first time you start dual-wielding and shooting down creepy ghost/zombie/clown stuff is a cathartic "yee haw" moment.

j0hnnix

You won't regret sticking with the Move controllers, especially if you're going to playing Until Dawn. The first time you start dual-wielding and shooting down creepy ghost/zombie/clown stuff is a cathartic "yee haw" moment.

I've seen some YouTube videos of people freaking out on it. Pretty excited since I've been on edge on purchasing it do to support, cost but I can't turn down a company gift.. lol

Found the HDR PSVR box solution link on neogaf.. http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1340168

Thanks for answering the questions for me.

Just remember, the camera doesn't need to be above the TV. I grabbed a cheap mic stand that clips onto shelving to fit the camera to, and an extension cable is handy if you don't have enough reach.

gmoran

I'm not an american ;) around here AC is the exception but we have central heating!

Now that's what I'm talking about, some more real 1st party support, sounds great, if true that's almost megaton territory for PSVR.

Edit: could be COLONY WARS, right???1

I was thinking Socom, would work a treat with Aim as a proper tactical FPS: campaign and co-op with good number of scenarios; PvP: goodies vs baddies

Planet

Quite unlikely, since the Socom developer founded Impulse Gear and made Farpoint - which coincidently also works well with Aim. ;)

Fox1304

Crystal Rift, Dying Reborn and Darknet are roughly 40% off in Europe, Are they worth their price? Darknet looks interesting, the two other ... rougher ?

Planet

Crystal Rift
Very old school dungeon crawler. Doesn't really benefit from VR, but naturally it enhances the atmosphere, can be played without. Gameplay is solid, lengthy, but dated and very simple. Get this one only if you have fond memories of Dungeon Master on PC / Amiga and want to relive some of that feeling, but don't expect the same deep magic or equipment systems.
Dying Reborn
Skipped that one, looks like another horror themed adventure game with very low production values. The fact that VR consists of only half the game you get without VR, but in another package (or at a quite high price bundled) doesn't make me feel confident to bite.
Neat puzzle game with a clever idea (be a hacker like Hollywood depicts stuff like that). Doesn't really benefit from VR but can't be played without it. Of those three, this surely is the best game. It has the content and well ballanced challenge, but the repetitive gameplay might get boring before you finish it. Happend to me, sad to say. But I still kinda like it.

Very old school dungeon crawler. Doesn't really benefit from VR, but naturally it enhances the atmosphere, can be played without. Gameplay is solid, lengthy, but dated and very simple. Get this one only if you have fond memories of Dungeon Master on PC / Amiga and want to relive some of that feeling, but don't expect the same deep magic or equipment systems.

I picked this up, graphically it's poor but damn did the movement really mess with me and make me feel ill. Only other game to cause that was Scavengers Odyssey in the first days of getting the VR.

Planet

damn did the movement really mess with me and make me feel ill.
Yeah, I can only play it for maybe half an hour. Too much turning and strafing makes me feel unwell over time, too. But not as fast and as much as when I enable smooth turning in e.g. Farpoint. I really need quick turning to feel fine. Seems like Crystal Rifts turning animation, though quick, tickles that puke sensor, too.

If only they added an option to remove the turning animation, maybe add a bit of fading to black like other games, then I probably could stand it longer.

Kyolux

Dying reborn is a collection of escape rooms. Only did the first one. It was ok. For the price I think it's fine.

I wouldn't look at it as an adventure game though.

ffvorax

I'm actually finding more comfortable normal turning insted of the quick x degrees turning in VR.

I started RE7 with the default but turning was bad for me, I changed on "classic" turning with normal speed, and now I just turn a bit my head on the direction where I turn the character and it feels a lot better.

Still after 1h of playing I feel tired... the game is not relaxing at all though... lol
But considering how challenging can be the gamplay in some parts, I think it works incredible well with not much motion sickness after all (also here in these days is starting to get hot... damn... I need an air conditioner to play vr in this season...)

joeblow

Gran Turismo Sport will be playable on PS VR at 2017 Nürburgring 24 Hours this weekend in the latest build.

I'll be keenly waiting for some impressions.
That article is incorrect. I played GT Sport VR at Sony's PSX show in December, and it looked terrible. Most likely it was a build older than this new showing, and I highly dobut it was on the Pro.

Hopefully there are visual improvemebts though, because while people say DriveClub VR looks bad, I think Trackmania VR (Pro version) looks fantastic.

That article is incorrect. I played GT Sport VR at Sony's PSX show in December, and it looked terrible. Most likely it was a build older than this new showing, and I highly dobut it was on the Pro.

Hopefully there are visual improvemebts though, because while people say DriveClub VR looks bad, I think Trackmania VR (Pro version) looks fantastic.

Trackmania VR does look very clean and sharp on the pro, but then again it's never rendering more than 1 car and a ghost, and the environments are completely static (DC has trees moving, leaves on the road etc). For that reason I expect GT to look more like DC on the PS4 at least, but hopefully there will be a nice upgrade for the pro.

Star Trek: Bridge Crew comes out next week. Anyone want to make a team with me in advance?

Captain
Helm
Tactical
Engineer

I don't really care which role I play.

Kyolux

Star Trek: Bridge Crew comes out next week. Anyone want to make a team with me in advance?

Captain
Helm
Tactical
Engineer

I don't really care which role I play.

I'll probably try and revive the discord for this.

Though I'm really hooked on marvel heroes right now on ps4 it's going to be tough to get off it.

joeblow

Stick to that, don't get the VR version! You can even play the base game in VR with that, IIRC, and the extra specific VR level of the other version is rather not great.

Other than that, whatever your heart desires, welcome to the family, son! :]
Correction - Super Stardust is simply big screen mode with a PSVR headset without buying the VR DLC. The new VR FPS mode isn't fun, but OG mode in true 3D is pretty awesome. I beat my all-time high score in my first game playing it that way.

Top Bottom