• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

Like I said in the seemingly dead Farpoint thread, it basically succeeds at what Time Crisis 4 tried to do on PS3 but failed miserably at. Namco tried to make a Time Crisis game where you could move around a bit and the controls were absolutely awful, the GunCon 3 was not built well for 2 hands, its aiming was abysmal, and it just felt clunky. The PS Move version wasn't much better either.

VR makes a free moving shooter where aiming is part of the challenge completely feasible. The controls just work, the Aim Controller just works and being able to look around anywhere by moving your head seals the deal.

I hope the Namco brass get a hold of this game and realize how well their shooter franchises could work on PSVR.

I'd love to see a new Time Crisis and Point Blank.

Planet

I dont own move controllers so this is good news to me.
No, it's not. Good news would be "supports either". No support for Move is not "good news", maybe OK, acceptable, reasonable depending on the game (not here though), but never "good".

The freedom to manipulate the virtual world with your arms increases the immersion thousandfold. Sooner or later, if you like games in VR at all, you will get a pair.

Gitaroo

I hope namco and sega game would port some light gun games over to support the aim controller. VR support too would be nice.

*Splinter

No, it's not. Good news would be "supports either". No support for Move is not "good news", maybe OK, acceptable, reasonable depending on the game (not here though), but never "good".

The freedom to manipulate the virtual world with your arms increases the immersion thousandfold. Sooner or later, if you like games in VR at all, you will get a pair.
Nah, it's totally possible to like VR and dislike motion controls.

(Although I wouldn't play a game designed for motion controls without them. That sounds like a bad time.)

Just want to point something out, in the Vive trailer, it clearly shows two hands, holding bike and throwing newspaper with motion controllers. In the PSVR version, no hands are visible, it looks like he is looking while pressing one button on DS4 to shoot the newspaper (similar to how nba 2k was handled). Until proven otherwise, do not support shitty devs like these.

Edit : Did a little digging, https://twitter.com/MeerkatGaming/status/865303737321082880. Confirmed no support of motion controls, so avoid this title at all cost for a shitty port.

Well, that's a bad choice, this probably won't work well with the DS4 ;(

Hasney

Not really, my fave game is still RIGS by a long shot. You just think the controller is like a mech control.

Freeman76

I meant its good news that it will use DS4, NOT its good news that it doesnt use move, so you can get off your high horse now.

I wont buy move controllers, way too expensive and I feel fine using a DS4. I tried Farpoint and the aim controller is very good, however the game was a snoozefest and I took it back as no way is it worth £75 to me.

Planet

Nah, it's totally possible to like VR and dislike motion controls.
Then it is absolutely fine to say it is good news that the control method of his choice is in. It is not fine to say it is good news that the preferences of others are neglected.

Come, high horse, let's ride into sunset!

Freeman76

Then it is absolutely fine to say it is good news that the control method of his choice is in. It is not fine to say it is good news that the preferences of others are neglected.
[/QUOTE]

That is exactly what I meant. Why on earth would it be good news to me that they omit something that others would find fun?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Not really, my fave game is still RIGS by a long shot. You just think the controller is like a mech control.

No he IS right. If you like VR, you will eventually have to play with some form of motion controls. It's more natural. Just look at the Farpoint reactions. Regular controller only can be good, but it's very limited when it comes to most VR games.

Planet

For many cockpit games like Battlezone the controller is quite fine, would be too cumbersome and slow grabbing virtual controls with Move in that case. But I meant most other games and explicitly this Paperboy game since it has motion controls on the other systems.

MattAces

For many cockpit games like Battlezone the controller is quite fine, would be too cumbersome and slow grabbing virtual controls with Move in that case. But I meant most other games and explicitly this Paperboy game since it has motion controls on the other systems.

I will make a simple statement for all of you.
If the game was made with motion controls in mind, it must support motion control, no explanation or reasons. e.g. NBA2kVR (which got motion patched later) and now this.
If the game was made with ds4 controllers in mind, like Rigs, it works fine.

What they are doing with paperboy is giving us the Gear VR treatment.

Ogni-XR21

I will make a simple statement for all of you.
If the game was made with motion controls in mind, it must support motion control, no explanation or reasons. e.g. NBA2kVR (which got motion patched later) and now this.
If the game was made with ds4 controllers in mind, like Rigs, it works fine.

What they are doing with paperboy is giving us the Gear VR treatment.

Did NBA2kVR get a patch to support Move controllers? Might consider getting it then... can anyone confirm? The PSN store site does not mention Move support while other games (like Tethered which got a patch adding it later) have it mentioned.

MattAces

Did NBA2kVR get a patch to support Move controllers? Might consider getting it then... can anyone confirm? The PSN store site does not mention Move support while other games (like Tethered which got a patch adding it later) have it mentioned.

I was wondering this too because someone pointed that out in reddit and because of how bad it was during launch, nobody talk about it. Still manage to find some footage of Move patched.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPX0SJR3C1A

iratA

Rebellion your Sniper Elite 4 game supports 3D out of the box. Your half way there to VR already, get in touch with Sony and get them to send you a PSVR Aim controller and Farpoint to play around with, (I'm sure they'll hook you up) you'll know what to do next!

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Just want to point something out, in the Vive trailer, it clearly shows two hands, holding bike and throwing newspaper with motion controllers. In the PSVR version, no hands are visible, it looks like he is looking while pressing one button on DS4 to shoot the newspaper (similar to how nba 2k was handled). Until proven otherwise, do not support shitty devs like these.

Edit : Did a little digging, https://twitter.com/MeerkatGaming/status/865303737321082880. Confirmed no support of motion controls, so avoid this title at all cost for a shitty port.

Just want to chime in for recommending Dick Wilde. It might be the ultimate arcade shooter in PSVR now. You want to experience dodging bullets, shield + gun like VR Invaders? Dick Wilde has that. You want a bow and arrow like Ancient Amulator/Ace Banana but much better? Dick Wilde has that. Double SMG, harpoon, burst rifle, they have every major category of guns and most importantly, they all felt very distinct. Also sound and music is satisfying and intense.

Not the first VR game to get held back by the dated PS Move, and wont be the last too.

Z3M0G

So has anyone tried using the Aim controller for games that don't officially support it? Can it be used in replacement of a standard Move controller?

If you CAN'T do this... that, IMO, is a big miss by Sony... they could allow you to do this through firmware/OS without needing game-by-game patch.

Mortal Blitz looks fantastic... I know that is a dual-wield game, so Aim really wouldn't work out... any patch rumors? Edit: bad example, you do more than fire guns in that game so wouldn't work.

How would the Aim controller work in 2D games? Intuitively​, it should be fine, yes? and I'd be happy with a 2D option in my light gun games revival

raindoc

Aim Controller + Dick Wilde is an awesome party game. Today's my gf's birthday and we're having a bunch of people at our place. 99% non-gamers. I just showed it to my gf's brother in law, who's a halo-buddy of mine. now everyone is taking turns.

Marcoos

Can you buy the aim controller separately in the UK? I have gone entirely digital this gen so don't really want the bundle if it is a disc version of the game, yes I know it's a good deal and I am crazy for wasting extra money.

Alas not, you have to get the Farpoint bundle. To add insult to injury, the game case has "Not for resale" on the front and back, no barcode. So you can't even take it to CEX or Game for a quick sale or trade in

FukuDaruma

I haven't used PSVR for some months. Bought Farpoint+VR Aim, put it on, updated the firm to 2.50 and in 20 mins of gameplay I was dizzy from the "soft turn" option and drifted like 45º from my original position... apart from being all sweaty as usual. Don't know why but Farpoint's smooth movement affects me a lot more than RE7's.

I'm not very satisfied with the PSVR experience so far, even on a Pro. The "Drifting" problem, lack of resolution, background RGB noise, no way to fully avoid chromatic aberrations on the borders, the helmet brick pushes your glasses to your face if you want to avoid light leaks, no "real view" window, ... the "potential" is there, but there's just too many flaws yet.

So yeah... game looking good and PS Aim feels great but still suffering the same shit as months before.

Is there any way to at least fix the fucking drifting? it's definitively NOT the camera moving from its position.

hank_tree

I haven't used PSVR for some months. Bought Farpoint+VR Aim, put it on, updated the firm to 2.50 and in 20 mins of gameplay I was dizzy from the "soft turn" option and drifted like 45º from my original position... apart from being all sweaty as usual. Don't know why but Farpoint's smooth movement affects me a lot more than RE7's.

I'm not very satisfied with the PSVR experience so far, even on a Pro. The "Drifting" problem, lack of resolution, background RGB noise, no way to fully avoid chromatic aberrations on the borders, the helmet brick pushes your glasses to your face if you want to avoid light leaks, no "real view" window, ... the "potential" is there, but there's just too many flaws yet.

So yeah... game looking good and PS Aim feels great but still suffering the same shit as months before.

Is there any way to at least fix the fucking drifting? it's definitively NOT the camera moving from its position.

Nah. Just turning the headset off and on will quickly reset it. It's not ideal.

Been playing Farpoint, love the aim controller but Jesus I hate spiders, even space spiders. Any chance this years COD coming with another VR level?
Not space ships this time, but storming the beach with an aim controller would be amazing.
Could this happen? Or would people get the hump if they felt they had to have the Aim controller?

*Splinter

Been playing Farpoint, love the aim controller but Jesus I hate spiders, even space spiders. Any chance this years COD coming with another VR level?
Not space ships this time, but storming the beach with an aim controller would be amazing.
Could this happen? Or would people get the hump if they felt they had to have the Aim controller?
VR level? Let's have the full game VR compatible!

Probably get the hump but I don't see why they couldn't do a RE style FPS mechanic alongside using the aim to the fullest.

Alas not, you have to get the Farpoint bundle. To add insult to injury, the game case has "Not for resale" on the front and back, no barcode. So you can't even take it to CEX or Game for a quick sale or trade in

Damn that sucks then if you can't even trade in the disc version to get some money back on it. That was my back up plan, buy the bundle and trade the disc in and buy it digital off PSN.

Loving Farpoint at the minute, Resident Evil 7 was the last time i felt this immersed inside VR. I shareplay it so my cousin can watch me whenever i play VR and it's just such incredible tech, Here i am in VR and someone can watch you play from there own home.

Farpoint makes me feel like master chief inside a starship troopers world.

Tried abit of co-op yesterday and it's so incredible seeing the other player and there movements up close and not the floating hands aspect we usually get in VR.

Grinchy

Banned
Just beat Farpoint and god damn that was good. For it being the first attempt at a full-fledged VR FPS campaign, they did a great job. They made it very fun to play and created a pretty decent story around it, too.

The one drawback people might complain about is the worlds feeling empty. This is not an exploration game. It's a shooting game. How you feel about that is going to determine whether the empty worlds is a complaint you will have.

Other than that (and the horrible saving system) they just nailed it.

tr00per

Just want to chime in for recommending Dick Wilde. It might be the ultimate arcade shooter in PSVR now. You want to experience dodging bullets, shield + gun like VR Invaders? Dick Wilde has that. You want a bow and arrow like Ancient Amulator/Ace Banana but much better? Dick Wilde has that. Double SMG, harpoon, burst rifle, they have every major category of guns and most importantly, they all felt very distinct. Also sound and music is satisfying and intense.

Alright. You sold me.

This was very cool.

I too loved Wayward Sky, still one of my favs so far.

Wayward Sky was super charming and fun. My only complaint was that the puzzles were all really simplistic. Aside from that though, it looked and played great. Definitely a worthwhile purchase.

Wayward Sky is possibly the most underrated PSVR game out there. It definitely has flaws(I dont know why they put so many duplicate wind chime puzzles in the game), but its like a diorama that comes to life. A fun. casual game.

Yes wayward sky was simple but it was so engaging and fun. I wouldn't even say the simplicity was a drawback; if anything it was a strength- I could show it to non-gamers and they could understand it fairly easily. It was a world you loved to be in. Not to mention how well the controls, presentation, and visuals were. It's a great showcase for how 3rd person (and even perspective switching) can work beautifully in VR. We need more games like it. Hopefully studio Japan or media molecule are working on something.

The wind chimes unlocked the arcade levels in the main menu.

Is the developer making another VR title? They've pretty much guaranteed a sale from me.

I hope the Namco brass get a hold of this game and realize how well their shooter franchises could work on PSVR.

I'd love to see a new Time Crisis and Point Blank.

I hope namco and sega game would port some light gun games over to support the aim controller. VR support too would be nice.

YES! SO MUCH THIS!

Marcoos

NewDust

So I got myself a PSVR and Farpoint+Aim controller bundle (€422)

Have been playing around with it for a small hour. It's far better than I expected.
Much sharper, though more aliassing than I thought. Also hearing how good Farpoint seems to be, I think I will hold off on that for later.

Watched some 360 youtube video's
Watched Invasion
Played Driveclub from the demodisc. Not a vomet comet at all, so that I will get the VR expansion for that.

So I am looking for some suggestions on what to buy.

Stuff I already own:

Farpoint
Here They Lie (it was cheap)
Until Dawn: Rush of Blood
VEV (hi m0dus)
Volume
Robinson: The Journey
Bound
Catlateral Damage (Don't judge me!)
Hyper Void
Race the Sun

Things I am planning on buying

Rez Infinite
RE7
Darknet
Thumper
GNOG
Driveclub VR (already own the base game)
Super Stardust Ultra (already own the base game)
Tumble VR
SUPERHYPERCUBE
Psychonauts VR (After I play the PS2-PS4 classic)
PSVR Worlds (someday)
Fated: Th Silent Oath

So any glaring omissions? Or stuff I shouldn't buy?

MattAces

Have been playing around with it for a small hour. It's far better than I expected.
Much sharper, though more aliassing than I thought. Also hearing how good Farpoint seems to be, I think I will hold off on that for later.

Watched Invasion
Played Driveclub from the demodisc. Not a vomet comet at all, so that I will get the VR expansion for that.

Stuff I already own:

Farpoint
VEV (hi m0dus)
Volume
Bound
Hyper Void
Race the Sun

Rez Infinite
RE7
Darknet
Thumper
GNOG
Tumble VR
SUPERHYPERCUBE
PSVR Worlds (someday)

Just buy Dick Wilde. It's the ultimate arcade shooter in PSVR now. Supports dual Move controller and Aim controller with a super wide range of weapons to use.

tr00per

I tried the chainsmokers VR. Very cool. More VR music videos will always be welcome. Especially interactive ones like that.

Dick wilde is pretty cool. The tracking is very good. I love that it supports both dual-move and aim, with each being a different experience. The feedback (visual firing and recoil in tandem with the audio and vibration) are pretty well done. I love the weapon variety and design. One thing I really admired was how the shotgun and the shield, contrary to most vr weapons, will actually collide with each other.

Something about the enemy design makes me wonder if they started off with a more realistic direction and decided to switch midway. Anyway it was a good purchase.

Freaking difficult, though.

Burglekutt

Watched Invasion

Stuff I already own:

Farpoint
VEV (hi m0dus)
Volume
Bound
Hyper Void
Race the Sun

Rez Infinite
RE7
Darknet
Thumper
GNOG
Tumble VR
SUPERHYPERCUBE
PSVR Worlds (someday)

I'd say the obvious omission is Batman Arkham VR. Other than that, two games that Id recommend are Wayward Sky and Werewolves Within. Wayward Sky should be on the demo disc so check it out. Werewolves Within is really fun when you get a good group going but the community is small so it can be hard to find groups outside of peak hours(nights/weekends).

EDIT: I recommend Werewolves within but not at full price because of the playerbase issue.

Holy crap, I wish I hadn't slept on Battlezone this long. I mean I'm glad I waited on a sale, but this ranks up there as one of my favorite VR titles now.

I was really enjoying it playing as a medium tank, but I wasn't doing great. Once I switched to a light tank it really started clicking. I can't wait to try it online.

NewDust

I'd say the obvious omission is Batman Arkham VR. Other than that, two games that Id recommend are Wayward Sky and Werewolves Within. Wayward Sky should be on the demo disc so check it out. Werewolves Within is really fun when you get a good group going but the community is small so it can be hard to find groups outside of peak hours(nights/weekends).

EDIT: I recommend Werewolves within but not at full price because of the playerbase issue.

I'm defintly not seeking some games with heavy online interaction, I want to be in my own happy
horror
world... But I'll at least look at some gameplay.

Also I am a dum-dumb because I downloaded the EU disc.

Top Bottom