• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

MattAces

Chaperone system? Anyone wanna chime in with what the hell that means?

Definitely will replay this at some point. My first Aim experienced and I really enjoyed it, eventually.

Farpoint and Rise of Tomb Raider has that. The grid to show detected space. Hopefully adding that won't limit the playing field because I have a pretty large detected area, I can crouch to pick up stuff.
Farpoint grid is quite limiting, screen will go dark/prompt you to go back to the grid as soon as you left the area, making me unable to crouch at all.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Farpoint and Rise of Tomb Raider has that. The grid to show detected space. Hopefully adding that won't limit the playing field because I have a pretty large detected area, I can crouch to pick up stuff.
Farpoint grid is quite limiting, screen will go dark/prompt you to go back to the grid as soon as you left the area, making me unable to crouch at all.

Oh, very cool! I have only experienced it in Farpoint but I think it's a very nice feature. Well, that's swell.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Setup my PSVR

Holy Shit, this is VR?... Motherfucker...

The depth and feeling of floating in that world, my goodness

Just tried out Playroom VR, I'm in love, that Platformer game is amazing!

Can you imagine a legit 3D platformer like Crash or Spyro in VR *squeal*

I tried out regular games like my MOBA Paragon, Sweet Jesus the Picture being so huge!

My mom and my aunt I let them try it out, they were giggling like 5 year olds, hooting and hollering

My mom held her sisters hand when I played some VR videos through those free VR channels like Jaunt, there's this magic one with Hollywood actors and when you start leaving the city and go towards the clouds, my mom gripped my aunts hand so hard, my aunt screamed like holy shit let go and my mom saying no 😂

Fuck this is amazing!

I just started and it's so so good!

sonto340

Well. I guess I'll order contacts for the first time since high school since my glasses are too big to properly fit inside my PSVR.
What I've experienced so far has been amazing, but I can see the reflection of the outside world around the edges because the headset doesn't go all the way against my face.

MattAces

Well. I guess I'll order contacts for the first time since high school since my glasses are too big to properly fit inside my PSVR.
What I've experienced so far has been amazing, but I can see the reflection of the outside world around the edges because the headset doesn't go all the way against my face.

Like from the bottom? Just push the button below the headset to make it closer. Unless you have a beak, then yea.

darkwing

Setup my PSVR

I tried out regular games like my MOBA Paragon, Sweet Jesus the Picture being so huge!

My mom and my aunt I let them try it out, they were giggling like 5 year olds, hooting and hollering

My mom held her sisters hand when I played some VR videos through those free VR channels like Jaunt, there's this magic one with Hollywood actors and when you start leaving the city and go towards the clouds, my mom gripped my aunts hand so hard, my aunt screamed like holy shit let go and my mom saying no 😂

Fuck this is amazing!

lol welcome to the club, it's really a new gaming experience

MattAces

Starblood Arena demo available in Japan PSN

Kamen Rider ex-aid experience available too.

GzUTcAN.png

Setup my PSVR

Fuck this is amazing!

Music to my ears!, this is what VR is all about.

Setup my PSVR

Fuck this is amazing!

Good first impression comments. The robot rescue in the playroom is shockingly immersive and fun isn't it? Because lets face it, if it was just a regular 3d platformer it would be the most generoc thing in existence. Put it in VR and it becomes an entirely different and engaging experience that has you thinking about the more known mascots hopping around in their own VR adventure.

MattAces

Just tried Starblood Arena demo, Kizumonogatari VR and Kamen Rider VR

Kizumonogatari VR is REALLY cool. Very trippy short video. Very high quality, worth the download for sure. I don't know anything about the anime, somewhat disturbing theme going on with that anime.

Kamen Rider VR is pretty dumb, 360 video only, short video experience, it's alright.

Starblood Arena demo kind of sold me on the game if I have the money. Graphic is pretty impressive, shooting is really satisfying, very immersive too. I actually like this more than Rigs.

Edit : Holy shit I just read through the plot of Kizumonogatari...
Edit 2 : Just watched a few videos of Kizumonogatari, oh my god...

Setup my PSVR

Fuck this is amazing!

nice :p seems like it was worth it!

now try Batman Arkham VR. completed it last night and so far it's my most amazing vr experience.. just the coolest thing ever, short but so so sweet.

i can't believe i'm saying this but PLEASE give me more standing simulators like this.

now try Batman Arkham VR. completed it last night and so far it's my most amazing vr experience.. just the coolest thing ever, short but so so sweet.

i can't believe i'm saying this but PLEASE give me more standing simulators like this.

out of the "experience" length games my top 3 are clearly

Batman VR
I Expect You to Die
Job Simulator

Smidget

Got Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin on a price mistake from Prime Day and played it. Extremely fun, albeit a short 2 hour one time through experience. Some puzzles got me confused, but most were straight forward. Great sense of scale especially near the end of the game.

Will trade it back in to net zero for a rental essentially. But great one time through type of game.

If you like puzzles, give Statik a go, great game, also I Expect You To Die.

anddo0

After playing dozens off hours of Project Cars with Oculus. I'm excited for GT Sport in VR. I think that will be the title to finally bring me into the PSVR fold.

WITHE1982

Welp... Chainsmokers VR is way better than it has anu right being

Agreed.

I shrugged it off as just a bit of filler but after "playing" through it 3 times I was enamoured. It opens up a whole new avenue for VR. If it can indeed become less of a niche product then releasing new songs and albums in this way would be fantastic. A real shot in the arm for the music industry (or album sales anyway).

It's testament to the experience that I was still humming the tune a few days later.

ok so because i love Batman VR and Statik i should play I Expect You To Die? the name is off-putting to me.. but is it good, for real?

Yeah, it's like a room escape game. Works really well with the Moves and use simple logic of using items, basic physics and tools.

It is very short though once you clear it but i would still say it's worth it, and to let your friends try it is really fun to follow for sure.

After playing dozens off hours of Project Cars with Oculus. I'm excited for GT Sport in VR. I think that will be the title to finally bring me into the PSVR fold.

Sadly don't get too excited, it's 1 v 1 arcade racing so against CPU I would assume. Not a full grid of online racing :(

Guess PS4 have to stick with DRIVECLUB for that at the moment, PC2 is apparently considering it if they can get up to standard.

short but yes, dlc coming too.

hmm cool, maybe i'll wait for a sale on the full package. gotta keep it in mind. thanks for the info.

just realized i still havent touched RE7! might jump in this weekend. i will most likely totally lose my shit, as i havent faced many real enemies in VR yet.. i dont know how i'll handle all the monstrosities getting all up in my face... and it won't be over in an hour or two, i'll really have to endure and survive in that world of horror. CANNOT FUCKING WAIT.

olimpia84

So I finally pulled the trigger via that Amazon prime day bundle and got the PS VR. Setting it up was a bit of a pain but it's good to go now. I was very impressed when I tried the PS VR before launch via those Best Buy events and I was ready to preorder a set right after trying it but it was sold out everywhere and then got discouraged with the seemingly lack of upcoming games and overall interest/sales.

I have to say, after setting everything up I didn't get that "wow" reaction I had the first time when I tried the system at the Best Buy event. Played the same game (the Ocean descent) and this time around it seemed to be less immersive. Maybe the fact that I'm using a regular PS4 is the difference here? Anyways, not regretting the purchase (yet at least) but today after work I will delve deeper with the other PS VR games that came included in the bundle.

Sadly don't get too excited, it's 1 v 1 arcade racing so against CPU I would assume. Not a full grid of online racing :(

Guess PS4 have to stick with DRIVECLUB for that at the moment, PC2 is apparently considering it if they can get up to standard.
I wouldn't listen to the Project Cars dev. They also promised PSVR support for the first game.

Dirt VR also has rallycross stages.

Not the same thing. Even though rallycross has grown on me the race craft is completely different and doesn't really sate the racing aspect you get from circuit racing. Corner tactics and overtaking is completely different and as the tracks and races are so short many of the strategies in circuit racing are non existent.

Not the same thing. Even though rallycross has grown on me the race craft is completely different and doesn't really sate the racing aspect you get from circuit racing. Corner tactics and overtaking is completely different and as the tracks and races are so short many of the strategies in circuit racing are non existent.

Yeah I didn't forget Dirt, I just don't consider it a track racer like GT/PC and DRIVECLUB

WITHE1982

I have to say, after setting everything up I didn't get that "wow" reaction I had the first time when I tried the system at the Best Buy event. Played the same game (the Ocean descent) and this time around it seemed to be less immersive. Maybe the fact that I'm using a regular PS4 is the difference here? Anyways, not regretting the purchase (yet at least) but today after work I will delve deeper with the other PS VR games that came included in the bundle.

To be fair my wife tried ocean decent as her first VR experience and after it asked "is that it?"

However after trying Batman, Job Simulator and RE7 she was definitely impressed. Afterwards she was giddy as a schoolgirl (quite literally with RE7 as it made her extremely dizzy).

Maligna

Banned
So I finally pulled the trigger via that Amazon prime day bundle and got the PS VR. Setting it up was a bit of a pain but it's good to go now. I was very impressed when I tried the PS VR before launch via those Best Buy events and I was ready to preorder a set right after trying it but it was sold out everywhere and then got discouraged with the seemingly lack of upcoming games and overall interest/sales.

Do you have any games that use your hands (aka Move controllers)?

There is an adjustment period I found for VR, but you should try more then a tech demo before deciding what your first impression is, there are far better experiences in VR then Ocean decent.

Ocean decent is a one and done sort of experience. You aren't really going to get much from it a second time and you are only going to notice how everything is scripted the second time. To get started try Rush of Blood demo, Bound demo, Statik demo, playroom platformer. The rest are all decent but I find they aren't indicative of the final products with them usually being much better in their full versions, still worth checking out though.

MattAces

Picking first game to experience/showcase is the HARDEST thing ever.
First impression will either blow you away or destroy your interest in VR, that's the reason of so many people still having the mindset of, ugh VR sucks from the first time I've tried it.

Ocean Descent is a very mediocre experience, maybe good for non gamers, but I would say it's below average for gamers.
DriveClub VR with DS4 is the worst demo you could ever showcase/start with. With a wheel, this is pretty good actually.
London Heist, one of the best demo, although the graphic is very mediocre, solid demo.
Job Simulator, if you get this working properly, also easily one of the best, good looking and fun.
Dick Wilde, this is also one of the best showcase, super polished, smooth experience and just fun.
Mortal Blitz, another "pretty good" one, polished, great clarity and fun.
Farpoint, this is the most mixed bag one to demo. Demoing in conventions/showfloor is a great idea because most people around there are gamers. Demoing this to family/non gamers? Pretty bad idea. Mainly because of movement and camera turning.
Batman, great demo, but there's nothing much on the gameplay, still it's great just to show the starting sequence.
Robinson, among the worst.
RE7, mixed bag like Farpoint. Fantastic game for gamers, pretty bad idea for non-gamers, plus it's a DS4 game, worse than Farpoint to demo.
Rush of Blood, good demo. Scary, atmospheric, graphic may not be the best but easy to just start playing.

I'm just listing some of the publicly demoed games.

Top Bottom