• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 |OT| I heard it has a single cable. Is this true?

It is interesting to hear your perspective, and reasoning, as I know you've previously enjoyed the VR entries (not sure if you played RE7, probably?) I have read the mine cart section is pretty cool in VR, curious when you make it there!
RE7 is what got me to invest in PSVR, it was real late in the cycle though (late 2020 I think).

Yea, they're all fantastic in their own ways. I personally don't care about the 3rd person aspects in 4VR or lack of interaction because it wasn't there in 7 or Village either for many things. Just can't help but feel like something is missing in 4 compared to it's flat version. 7 and Village seem like the games were designed around VR, and they definitely were to some degree. 4 though, it just hits different. Definitely not in a purely negative way, just interesting to me. Ones of those conversations better suited for a long form discussion, hard to get convey my thoughts via text.

RE 7 and Village were designed in first person so it's naturally a better fit for vr compared to RE 4 that was developed in third person...
And that's one of the reasons I think it's interesting, because if there is a hybrid approach for other games outside of RE, how would the final product be? I think it'd be a net gain for sure but the idea of "VR makes everything better..." I feel like it's something that we could actually look into further because we'd finally have some official examples of these hybrid modes to compare/contest with their flat counterparts.

Us early adopters are at the forefront of VR gaming when it comes to the Sony platform, just provides a unique opportunity for us as enthusiasts to really look into these things.

Minsc

Gold Member
And that's one of the reasons I think it's interesting, because if there is a hybrid approach for other games outside of RE, how would the final product be? I think it'd be a net gain for sure but the idea of "VR makes everything better..." I feel like it's something that we could actually look into further because we'd finally have some official examples of these hybrid modes to compare/contest with their flat counterparts.

Us early adopters are at the forefront of VR gaming when it comes to the Sony platform, just provides a unique opportunity for us as enthusiasts to really look into these things.

There's something to be said for the game world in VR too. Just imagine Cyberpunk 2077's futuristic city with all the Neon and cars etc, Red Dead Redemption 2's awesome western frontiers and bars, and even live song performances in the game in VR etc, and Harry Potter's world in VR. all possible to see on PC. I know they're third person games, but it still must be so cool to be transported in to those worlds and have everything be larger than life, all around you. It is a shame VR isn't popular enough to get actual VR games with those IPs.

ABnormal

Just finished my first playthrough of RE4VR. I have a handful of complaints (no manual flashlight, very few VR cutscenes, less interactivity with key items than in 8) but otherwise I absolutely loved it. Parrying attacks with the knife in my left hand while my other hand is free to blast away never got old. Professional mode is going to be wild, I can't wait to start.

I just hope they take the time to port over Separate Ways and Mercs to VR as well.
Try to grab the flashlight from your head. I read that it is possible to hold it like in Village as well.

ABnormal

There's something to be said for the game world in VR too. Just imagine Cyberpunk 2077's futuristic city with all the Neon and cars etc, Red Dead Redemption 2's awesome western frontiers and bars, and even live song performances in the game in VR etc, and Harry Potter's world in VR. all possible to see on PC. I know they're third person games, but it still must be so cool to be transported in to those worlds and have everything be larger than life, all around you. It is a shame VR isn't popular enough to get actual VR games with those IPs.
That's exactly where I would like to see official VR development going towards: the biggest, greatest games avaliable to be experienced in VR, even with the same third person view and same joypad controls. Because just being immersed in the game world is already a dream came true, and just imagining how the countless great games that I have experienced in the last decades could be from inside makes me excited.
Then, in the future when motion sickness will be completely solved by some suppression tech, allowing everybody to enjoy VR, and freeing VR game design allowing in game movement in the infinite number of possible ways that vr has the potential to do, added to a minimal form factor that doesn't require more than a pair of goggles, the convergence of all that will allow for incomparable charming and accessible games, impossible to experience outside of VR, leading to a MUCH expanded VR market. From that, especting big, great games developed AROUND VR will be the direction to go, but for now, I believe that hybrid games would be for a while the greatest overall experiences on the platform.

Dude, 100%. Give me all the hybrid modes even if the VR mechanics are limited. I personally like the perspective shift the most because let's be honest, climbing stuff in VR is cool but we're just pawing at the air, it's not much more than a gimmick and is usually where VR jank comes into play.

I'd like to see more third person games too, Rescue Mission is basic as F in VR but it's so damn brilliant! I don't need hyper realism, just want fun experiences.

Try to grab the flashlight from your head. I read that it is possible to hold it like in Village as well.
You can, I saw someone mention it on Twitter and it works but only when Leon activates the flashlight. You can't use it at your whim, at least I haven't been able to. That's probably the biggest "let down" for me. It's not a big deal but it's just nice to use a flashlight in VR at your whim and I wish I was able to in RE4.

sncvsrtoip

Im quite sure you are in minority here (personaly think its great vr game + reading reddit many sa its best experience ever). For me what this port show is that majority of AAA flat games would be briliant in vr and we dont need all vr af mechanics to get one of best experience in vr.

Oh and I forgot to mention a protip for the shooting gallery in RE4:

Play seated, preferably in a chair with an armrest so you can steady your aim more.
Oh neat, I had no idea. I guess there wasn't enough room on the equipment menu for the devs to implement it like in RE8. But that's good to know for my next run, thanks!

Im quite sure you are in minority here (personaly think its great vr game + reading reddit many sa its best experience ever). For me what this port show is that majority of AAA flat games would be briliant in vr and we dont need all vr af mechanics to get one of best experience in vr.
I don't mind the lack of "VR AF" mechanics either, I don't think all VR games need that.

Don't get me wrong, I think the VR mode is great, definitely not trying to be down on it. Just interesting to get (what feels to me) the first AAA hybrid mode for an action game and being able to analyze it against the flat mode. At the end of the day everyone wins, play it flat or buy a headset and get the VR version. Everyone wins.

Minsc

Gold Member
I don't mind the lack of "VR AF" mechanics either, I don't think all VR games need that.

Don't get me wrong, I think the VR mode is great, definitely not trying to be down on it. Just interesting to get (what feels to me) the first AAA hybrid mode for an action game and being able to analyze it against the flat mode. At the end of the day everyone wins, play it flat or buy a headset and get the VR version. Everyone wins.

If it were possible to play RE4 VR in 3rd person I wonder if you'd find it more compelling than flat 3rd person, I think it's just the shift to first person you find ineffective, not VR, correct?

I have no issues with seeing Leon out step infront of my POV (like for opening doors etc), and it actually would be really cool if I could play the whole game seeing him ahead of me, just over his shoulder, exactly like it is flat.

Last edited:

Markio128

Gold Member
If it were possible to play RE4 VR in 3rd person I wonder if you'd find it more compelling than flat 3rd person, I think it's just the shift to first person you find ineffective, not VR, correct?

I have no issues with seeing Leon out step infront of my POV (like for opening doors etc), and it actually would be really cool if I could play the whole game seeing him ahead of me, just over his shoulder, exactly like it is flat.
I heard somewhere that there was meant to be an option for 3rd person VR, but I could have imagined it. Is there definitely no option for it in the menu?

ABnormal

It may be because playing it in VR makes it significantly easier when dealing with aiming and groups of enemies, so it feels more like a speedrun rather than a slow, dangerous, cautious advancing. The aiming with the pad is quite goofy and it's a part of the difficulty balance in the game (as it was for the lack of motion duting aiming in the original one). Obviously in VR the balance is lost and they wouldn't rebalance the entire game for the VR version: it's just the same balance but in VR.
Immersion and weapons control makes it a ton better, but for a survival horror, losing a significant part of the tension is obviously a minus. To me, being able to feel the atmosphere of the game from inside is priceless, so I would always choose the VR version, but obviously a proper balance is needed to make a game, otherwise we will be stuck too much on "VR experiences".
There are also gains outside immersion, tough. Gameplay wise, the freedom and naturalness of control in aiming and the knife parry makes for endless fun and satisfaction, and while I was no more interested in playing RE4R with the usual pad controls, I couldn't wait to control it directly. There's a special satisfaction in feeling the actual gunplay control, and even that single aspect makes the difference between not being anymore interested in a game, and to longing for it.

ssringo

Since it's been mentioned a few times, seems to be a sticking point, and I was the one that brought it up, the lack of VR interactions isn't some massive negative. I brought it up mostly as part of the conversation about why the preference for the flat version of RE4R vs RE7/8. It's a 10/10 game and a 10/10 experience in my book both in and out of VR. It's a nitpick of preference for me more than made up by the fun of combat in VR.

I honestly probably would feel different if it was in 3rd person. The atmosphere isn't nearly as effective for me in first person for RE4, it's really bizarre because I never would have I predicted I'd feel that way.

All the same though, I'm really enjoying it, it's damn fun. I just finished Chapter 9 and it's been consistently good gaming. The VR mechanics are solid and really responsive.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Only a snapshot of Amazon sales I think but quite shocking how low it’s selling. PSVR was quite a success for its days.

I can’t even comprehend how Quest 2 sells that much nowadays…

Bring on TLoU VR.

And there seems to be a growing amount of highly positive impressions of this one [4make VR]. The more I play the more I enjoy it.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
Only a snapshot of Amazon sales I think but quite shocking how low it’s selling. PSVR was quite a success for its days.

I can’t even comprehend how Quest 2 sells that much nowadays…

I was browsing Amazon's holiday lists / shops and Oprah has a big section for her favorite things. Guess what headset makes the cut right on the first few items and which headset doesn't. Stuff like advertising like that makes a pretty big deal.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Japanese sales….?

Dring said psvr2 sales were good in the UK

Amazon US those charts, sorry yea was not obvious with Chinese

Like I said, it’s only a snapshot of Amazon. It’s also likely that Quest 2 is in impulse buy territory for holidays because I don’t understand why anyone would get that over Quest 3.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
After Meta's take on RE4, it's still freaking awesome to play RE4R VR on PS5. I really love how well remake gunplay translates to VR. It is also apparent that some locations in RE4R were re-designed with VR in mind. Some small boring spaces in 2D work surprisingly tense and moody in VR.

Yeh, I'm happy with my PS VR2 purchase.

P.S. Never write from iPad lol.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

For me what this port show is that majority of AAA flat games would be briliant in vr and we dont need all vr af mechanics to get one of best experience in vr.

If anything, the ports are far better at selling VR than the games made exclusively for it, largely because the ports are 'proper' games. Not short, basic, repetitive, shallow 'experiences' masquerading as games, which an awful lot of bespoke VR games are.

RE4 VR is a far more compelling VR game than something like Arizona Sunshine 2. RE has a full blown story, with a proper narrative, characters, puzzles, combat, etc. AS2 is 'shoot bang' and fuck all else. I don't care if there's some third person to VR jank, if I'm getting a compelling gaming experience with more depth.

Even the more celebrated recent VR games like Red Matter 2 are so fucking basic as gaming experiences, still trying to rely on the VR gimmick. Arguably there's only been one very successful bespoke VR game that's rivalled its flat screen contemporaries and that's Alyx.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

If anything, the ports are far better at selling VR than the games made exclusively for it, largely because the ports are 'proper' games. Not short, basic, repetitive, shallow 'experiences' masquerading as games, which an awful lot of bespoke VR games are.

RE4 VR is a far more compelling VR game than something like Arizona Sunshine 2. RE has a full blown story, with a proper narrative, characters, puzzles, combat, etc. AS2 is 'shoot bang' and fuck all else. I don't care if there's some third person to VR jank, if I'm getting a compelling gaming experience with more depth.

Even the more celebrated recent VR games like Red Matter 2 are so fucking basic as gaming experiences, still trying to rely on the VR gimmick. Arguably there's only been one very successful bespoke VR game that's rivalled its flat screen contemporaries and that's Alyx.
I don't know how to respond well to the last part of your post, all I know is that I dislike this point of view.

Alyx is great, but not every game has to be a bombastic narrative driven blockbuster. Games which rely on a single mechanic, polished and taken to the extreme can be just as great, if not better than a game with a story you run through once and be done with it.

Take Pistol Whip, it's a rhythm game where all you do is move forward and shoot enemies to the beat of the music and dodge shots, but the better you get at it the more fun you have, it's infinitely replayable (as any respectable rhythm game should be) and you can get hundreds of hours of gameplay vs 12 of an Alyx playthrough.

I don't see flat screen indie games called "basic" for having a single well polished mechanic, but if it's a VR game it suddenly becomes a "tech demo" or an "experience".

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member

One can argue that for a VR-only title Alyx is extremely safe, casual-friendly and non-interactive. Hell, this game lacks even melee and basic meaningful VR design cues like body-based inventory (menus for weapon selection in a VR title is hardly a pinnacle of immersion). Part of the reason why modded Alyx translates into 2D game more or less okay.

Astro Bot, RE8/RE4, GT7 with a wheel, Lone Echo and Asgard's Warth is what mass VR games should strive to be, IMO. Alyx got so much exposure simply by being Half-Life with very pretty (for the time) production values, but as a pure VR-tailored experience it's very... Tame?

P.S. And it is written by a man who spent 30 hours in Alyx, I love it, but I've played a lot of other VR games too.

Last edited:
Yup - it's pretty much a simple bet you can take all these 92+ meta score AAA games, throw them in VR and have must-play VR games. But hardly anyone cares to do it.
Ghostwire: Tokyo in VR.

It would be absolutely GOAT-tier for VR. The combat, the scenery, soaring above Tokyo, jumping rooftop to rooftop 🙌. There's a mod for PCVR but I doubt it will ever happen for Sony.

I really wish Sony would have a team dedicated to VR conversions. Reach out to third parties and be like, "well pay you X amount and offer these resources if you'll work on converting the game to VR..." It seems like such a no brainer and would get so many people talking about VR.

Zombi also, from Ubisoft. That game in VR would be GOAT-tier as well. That's a game I need to try on the virtual screen because it might be effective. When Village was flat only, I played it in the PSVR headset, it was actually a pretty solid experience due to the change in perspective/size.

Last edited:

Bond007

So I got this for me and my two boys for XMAS.
We had VR1 and own Quest 2- so I know what we are getting into for the most part. Excited to play the console games we already own (RE's, GT7)

I see Horizon is gorgeous- abit like a Tech demo. Worth the plunge?
Basically I'm looking for PS5 exclusives or games that just excel with VR2.

Any recommendations falling within those parameters?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Finished Resident Evil 4 in VR.
Man, it was already my GOTY, but the VR mode elevates it even more, what an amazing experience.
I can't believe it's a free upgrade.

fuck you. I am hunting for sale on psvr2 now...
Any downsides? what you DIDNT like about it ?

Pelao

Any downsides? what you DIDNT like about it ?
I think the balance of the game is broken thanks to the extra mobility you gain in VR. Personally it doesn't bother me, but it may be a negative point for some.
Overall I'm not bothered by the compromises they made, like making ladder climbing a button press compared to the manual climbing that was available in Village, but what I will say is that the fight with Del Lago was poorly translated into VR. I was expecting to have to throw the harpoon with my arm, but it's also just a button press.
Other than that, the rest of the game is great.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I think the balance of the game is broken thanks to the extra mobility you gain in VR. Personally it doesn't bother me, but it may be a negative point for some.
Overall I'm not bothered by the compromises they made, like making ladder climbing a button press compared to the manual climbing that was available in Village, but what I will say is that the fight with Del Lago was poorly translated into VR. I was expecting to have to throw the harpoon with my arm, but it's also just a button press.
Other than that, the rest of the game is great.
In normal version, the scopes are very blurry and dark.
Are these also the same in vr?

What about laser sight? Is it just a dot or whole laser ?

And can I freely use flashlight like in 8 ?

Last edited:

Pelao

In normal version, the scopes are very blurry and dark.
Are these also the same in vr?

What about laser sight? Is it just a dot or whole laser ?

And can I freely use flashlight like in 8 ?
The scopes are pretty much the same. Maybe not as dark.
8jxAxgo.jpg

The laser is shown as a line, but only near the end of the trace, not from the gun. You're going to have to zoom in on the image to see it. It is much clearer and brighter in game.
GhHfmYE.jpg

You cannot turn on the flashlight manually. And once on, it illuminates wherever you are looking with your head.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
So I got this for me and my two boys for XMAS.
We had VR1 and own Quest 2- so I know what we are getting into for the most part. Excited to play the console games we already own (RE's, GT7)

I see Horizon is gorgeous- abit like a Tech demo. Worth the plunge?
Basically I'm looking for PS5 exclusives or games that just excel with VR2.

Any recommendations falling within those parameters?
Horizon is more than a tech demo, it's a fully fledged game with incredible graphics and I mean proper stop and just stare around you scenes, but for me the winner was Resi Evil Village, fuck me what a game, every level was just an eyeball melt, I'm about 2hrs into RE4 and it's more of the same incredible VR gameplay

Yup - it's pretty much a simple bet you can take all these 92+ meta score AAA games, throw them in VR and have must-play VR games. But hardly anyone cares to do it.
Even 3 92+ PSVR2 full-size games (like we have now) is pretty awesome though. Will we get more next year? That'll be the test for growth.

Last edited:

SilentUser

I'm very curious about Towers & Powers. I'm a sucker for tower defense, but never played one in VR. Anyone bought the game? It is kinda cheap... But I'm mostly curious about the resolution of the game. The artstyle is passable, but blurry games usually bothers me.

Top Bottom