• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 |OT| I heard it has a single cable. Is this true?

Markio128

Gold Member
Resi4 in VR isn’t too scary tbh. I‘ve managed to complete a couple of chapters without feeling too bum-twitchy. It’s really good fun too, and I prefer it to the flat screen mode because shooting is more satisfying, and I find it easier to get headshots.

The only minor criticism I have is the switch from VR to flat screen during cutscenes and a couple of other actions, but other than that, I reckon I’ll happily play through this one.

It’s really nice to have a good, lengthy single player game to get my teeth stuck into in VR as well.

ssringo

After the world stopped doing everything it could to keep me from playing RE4R VR today, I finally did and played through the first chapter. I swear this happens every time I'm actually hyped to play something new.

It's great. Most stuff feels good to use and do. Gunplay is on point and feels pretty accurate to where I think I'm shooting. Knifing is a little awkward but I probably just need to get used to it. I did try to get fancy and cut the fuse on some tossed dynamite and got exploded. I hope they aren't asking me to literally cut the fuse to pull that off! Stealth kills feel a bit disjointed but the only way to be any better would be to overhaul the animation so you're not locked in and instead be freeform like in Walking Dead. I am a bit disappointed it doesn't have as much VR interactiviy like in Village and the Oculus OG version but at the same time I mostly just want the action to be good. Which it is because it's a fantastic game regardless.

Of particular note is the model viewer. I never really bothered with it previously so everything was still locked but being able to see a life size version of the model up close is great. Seeing details that I never really noticed in regular gameplay. Like the faint veins on the back of the human's hands. Cool stuff.

Last edited:

ABnormal

I’ve decided to play RE4 VR in big girl’s blouse mode. Assists, red dot, easy reload. Anything to help me at least experience the full game. I’m only early into the game (just jumped out of the window of the first building), but I’m digging it so far. Everything looks nice and crisp. If I can get past the big hammer man and chainsaw man, then I have a fighting chance… 😂
Red dot?? Is it possible to have the laser aiming like in the Gamecube version??

Anyone finding the RE4 VR mod a bit janky? The gun and ammo holster feel too far in front of me, and the tracking occasionally borks on the left hand.
I have not noticed tracking issues yet. It could be something where you need to restart a sense controller?

My feeling about this game verses Village (IE vs the best VR game ever made) is that there are different priorities and compromises. Village lighting looked less flat and richer but 4 seems smoother almost like the reprojection has improved along with maybe cleaner antialiasing. 4 has better gun aiming and reloading but 8 has much more satisfying environment interactivity. I haven’t got very far in RE4 as I’m playing so much GT7 these days. Just can’t stop.

Last edited:

Markio128

Gold Member
Red dot?? Is it possible to have the laser aiming like in the Gamecube version??
Yep. I think you can even change the colour in the menu.

What’s cool is, when there is a small hole in a wall, you can peek through and take out enemies from the adjacent room. I didn’t notice this in flat mode.

ABnormal

Yep. I think you can even change the colour in the menu.

What’s cool is, when there is a small hole in a wall, you can peek through and take out enemies from the adjacent room. I didn’t notice this in flat mode.
That's great! In VR, laser aiming is very satisfying because you can aiming freely and at the same time you always see where you are pointing in the environment, making possible to sharpshoot even on the move. Is the laser beam equippable on any of the firearms?

Minsc

Gold Member
That's great! In VR, laser aiming is very satisfying because you can aiming freely and at the same time you always see where you are pointing in the environment, making possible to sharpshoot even on the move. Is the laser beam equippable on any of the firearms?

The option turns it on for all the weapons outright, or if the option is off, the weapons that support a laser sight once added have the pointer.

It does feel a little like cheating having it on the shotgun and every single weapon. I'm trying it without it first run.

splattered

Have they released updates for this yet that addresses the game losing connection/track of the controllers? I haven't actually booted this up in months now (since first month i bought it) and it was having very frustrating issues then...

Kept reading they were going to release updates but they hadnt before i stopped playing it.

FunkMiller

Well, RE4 VR is shaping to up to be one of the best VR experiences I've had recently. Up to the church - and all the new stuff, combined with the well implemented VR is great fun. More interactivity with the environment would be nice, but combat is excellent, as are the locations. Very immersive. So glad I held off on playing this game until now.

Sleepwalker

Im so ready to go back to resi 4. While im sure a first ever playthrough in VR would be incredible, im hoping here it lets me use my previous data, unlimited ammo magnum goes brrrr

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

It appears that it doesn't: it asks for a new save dedicated to VR.
Star Wars No GIF

Is it just me or is RE4 easier in VR? I'm not talking about obvious stuff like dual wielding - I mean it feels like enemies have lower HP than they should. I'm playing on Hardcore and I've been able to kill chainsaw ganado and wolves easier than I recall on PC.

Also it's easier to dodge lunging enemies because it seems like you generally move faster in VR, especially when walking backwards.

The only thing that is genuinely harder (so far) is the shooting range minigame because the low resolution in the sniper scope makes it very difficult to hit the bonus medals. Gonna take some serious practice to master those...

Last edited:

NoobSmog

Already noticing a bunch of details I missed in RE4, thanks to the new VR perspective. Really makes you appreciate the work that goes into designing these environments.
Yeah, I've already seen like 3 bird nests to shoot down that I never knew were there before, along with some other things.
Im so ready to go back to resi 4. While im sure a first ever playthrough in VR would be incredible, im hoping here it lets me use my previous data, unlimited ammo magnum goes brrrr
You can't use your previous saves, but it keeps your extras data. Using unlimited ammo cat ears and handcannon going through right now.

ssringo

The only thing that is genuinely harder (so far) is the shooting range minigame because the low resolution in the sniper scope makes it very difficult to hit the bonus medals. Gonna take some serious practice to master those...
Yup. I also struggle a bit with reloading the bolt action. I open the bolt and often wind up closing it again when going for the ammo. Can make for some frustrating, but excitingly fun, moments in gameplay but at the range it's a killer. I can definitely see myself doing multiple runs with different loadouts because of how different the weapons actually feel now that it's in VR.

Anyway, I stopped just before the first Gigante fight. Wanted to push through to getting Ashley to see how she works in VR but the boat section left me feeling a little sick. The Del Lago fight I was totally fine (somehow) but actually boating around myself got to me. Probably because I've never gotten used to smooth turning and that's how the (default) boat controls are.

T-0800

I watched a video yesterday of a guy playing RE4 in PSVR2 and the difficulty looked broken. He'd never played the game before and when he arrived at the village he walked to near the fire and just stabbed everybody hardly moving from that spot. Trigged the church bell really quickly and made it look trivial. Zero suspense.

darthvargi

I watched a video yesterday of a guy playing RE4 in PSVR2 and the difficulty looked broken. He'd never played the game before and when he arrived at the village he walked to near the fire and just stabbed everybody hardly moving from that spot. Trigged the church bell really quickly and made it look trivial. Zero suspense.
He may have been playing on casual difficulty. I'm playing on normal and while you can parry virtually anything with the knife, it breaks pretty early on so that's not going to work long even in the first village chapter.

T-0800

He may have been playing on casual difficulty. I'm playing on normal and while you can parry virtually anything with the knife, it breaks pretty early on so that's not going to work long even in the first village chapter.

Here is the video. Skip to 27 minutes in.

darthvargi

Here is the video. Skip to 27 minutes in.

Well I stand corrected. Myles is a complete badass. I will say though shortly after this my knife broke from playing similarly. I'm still just on chapter 2 so after upgrading my knife some, I guess I'll see if that really is a viable strategy.

RE4 in VR is great. I wonder if this game will help kickstart the hybrid aspect of PSVR2 that we're expecting to (hopefully) happen. :pie_thinking:

RE7 and Village definitely feel like they were developed with VR in mind whereas RE4 feels like a hybrid mode. I don't mind though, if anything it shows that Capcom could do the same for RE2 and RE3. Combat is so damn satisfying in RE4 and the knife is fantastic. Tossing grenades too, it sounds silly but that can be incredibly hit and miss in VR (Village included), Capcom nailed it RE4 VR.

The moment I realized how OP the knife is, lol.

Last edited:

T-0800

Well I stand corrected. Myles is a complete badass. I will say though shortly after this my knife broke from playing similarly. I'm still just on chapter 2 so after upgrading my knife some, I guess I'll see if that really is a viable strategy.

Seems like it wasn't play tested very well. If something makes combat trivial and other weapons useless in comparison it's not a great thing.

Alright I'm halfway through the castle (just finished the Ashley part) and the difficulty feels like it corrected itself. If I had to guess, I would say that the difficulty is tuned a little lower than usual at the beginning of the game, probably to ease people into VR? I don't know, but something weird was going on because chainsaw ganados shouldn't die to 2 shotgun blasts on Hardcore lol

In any case, I've gotten much better at the shooting range, even managed to get S rank in all the available challenges so far. Still having a hard time getting all the bonus medals but I'm happy with S ranks for now.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Nancy Robertson Television GIF by AMC Networks

I have it sitting there and I just can't get the free time to play it, need to get everyone off to bed nice and early tonite, went to play it yesterday as I had a free few hours so I'm all excited and BAM first hurdle, I forgot to download the bloody game! Ffs... Ok the game downloads enough to start, open it up... No VR mode, ffs need to download the VR patch... Pause the rest of the main game download and get the VR Patch, open it up to play... Needs the full fucking game to download!! Aaasrtgggppffftttt... Cunt! Finally full game downloads, only my fucking parents call round... Gives up, will try again later

Markio128

Gold Member
I’ve found that I’m wanting to play PSVR2 games for longer periods recently, so I’ve bought myself one of those accessories for comfort. I was playing Ancient Dungeon and Resi4 last night and by the time I took the headset off it felt (and looked) like my head had been in a vice.

Plus, it should help Walkabout Minigolf feel more comfortable - I find it’s the only game where I have to adjust the headset regularly because I’m looking down all the time.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I’ve found that I’m wanting to play PSVR2 games for longer periods recently, so I’ve bought myself one of those accessories for comfort. I was playing Ancient Dungeon and Resi4 last night and by the time I took the headset off it felt (and looked) like my head had been in a vice.

Plus, it should help Walkabout Minigolf feel more comfortable - I find it’s the only game where I have to adjust the headset regularly because I’m looking down all the time.
Longest I played vr was with oculus cv1 for Alyx.
7 hours 1 day and 7 hours next day. My head looked like if I was staring at an atomic blast.
My hair was ruined for whole week lol.

I play with glasses on inside my unit, anyone recommend a decent manufacturer of slip in lenses? And are they any good
I bought HonsVR. They are perhaps the cheapest option but I find them great. They ship fast from china as well.

My one gripe is that even with the non reflective coating they do reflect light sources that are directly behind me more than the stock lenses.

Last edited:

SilentUser

I bought Globular Cluster this week, but it will take some I have it. I'm curious, decided to buy because people praise it all the time even though I can play just fine. But extra comfort is always welcome, hopefully I won't regret it :)

Anyone put any significant amount of time into RE4?

I don't mean this as a negative but this VR mode is really interesting to me because I feel like the game is better in flat. It's not even the cutscenes being flat or seeing Leon in third person for many things, it's a moot point to me because I like the cutscenes and the cinematography in them. For me, the overall atmosphere just isn't as effective having the camera in first-person. It's really bizarre because I feel like I should be more immersed but I'm not. It ends up feeling like an arcade mode and I don't think raising the difficulty would change that (playing on standard).

I'm really enjoying it all the same though, the mechanics work great and combat is fantastic.

Curious if anyone else feels the same?

Edit: made it to Chapter 8 last night so nearly 50% done.

I should also point out that I played through RE7 and Village roughly 3-4 times each in flat and the transition to VR was totally game changing in a positive way. I don't think it's a, 'played it first in flat so I soured the VR experience' type thing.

Last edited:

ssringo

Anyone put any significant amount of time into RE4?

I don't mean this as a negative but this VR mode is really interesting to me because I feel like the game is better in flat. It's not even the cutscenes being flat or seeing Leon in third person for many things, it's a moot point to me because I like the cutscenes and the cinematography in them. For me, the overall atmosphere just isn't as effective having the camera in first-person. It's really bizarre because I feel like I should be more immersed but I'm not. It ends up feeling like an arcade mode and I don't think raising the difficulty would change that (playing on standard).

I'm really enjoying it all the same though, the mechanics work great and combat is fantastic.

Curious if anyone else feels the same?

Edit: made it to Chapter 8 last night so nearly 50% done.

I should also point out that I played through RE7 and Village roughly 3-4 times each in flat and the transition to VR was totally game changing in a positive way. I don't think it's a, 'played it first in flat so I soured the VR experience' type thing.
Unfortunately couldn't play yesterday so I'm a bit behind but got myself to the start of the castle today (chapter 7). Still having lots of fun. I doubt they'll do it, but I'd love to play through Ada's campaign in VR.

I too think the game is better in flat but only because they didn't add as much environmental interactivity for the VR mode. Played a lot of the Quest RE4VR and peaking through doors, opening drawers, using cranks, lifting handles, etc. really added to the immersion aspect. Mashing X to grab and do everything is indeed great for speeding through stuff but at the cost of immersion.

I didn't have PSVR1 but did finish both RE7 and Village in flat. I wasn't a big fan of either (3rd person RE for life) in general but I did pick up Village for VR and got to the Lady D & daughters chase sections in VR. I never got further (namely to the second area) because I hadn't figured out a good setup for my headset to be comfortable for longer sessions. Luckily I have now so I'll give it another whirl down the line. That said I think the fact that both were already first person games made the transition much better since everything was already tailored for that style and view which was enhanced for VR. RE4, on the other hand, is not and would require much more effort to bring it in line (as was done with the Quest RE4 version) and Capcom did not put in that same effort. Not to say what they did was lazy but it's obvious they could've done much more with it given time and money.

sncvsrtoip

(...) but it's obvious they could've done much more with it given time and money.
No they couldnt, they did vr port in less than 9 months, its great and to be honest defenitly prefer vr port of a new game to get same year than for example wait 1 more year and only benefits to get ladder climbing or some other minor things that doesnt matter

Unfortunately couldn't play yesterday so I'm a bit behind but got myself to the start of the castle today (chapter 7). Still having lots of fun. I doubt they'll do it, but I'd love to play through Ada's campaign in VR.

I too think the game is better in flat but only because they didn't add as much environmental interactivity for the VR mode. Played a lot of the Quest RE4VR and peaking through doors, opening drawers, using cranks, lifting handles, etc. really added to the immersion aspect. Mashing X to grab and do everything is indeed great for speeding through stuff but at the cost of immersion.

I didn't have PSVR1 but did finish both RE7 and Village in flat. I wasn't a big fan of either (3rd person RE for life) in general but I did pick up Village for VR and got to the Lady D & daughters chase sections in VR. I never got further (namely to the second area) because I hadn't figured out a good setup for my headset to be comfortable for longer sessions. Luckily I have now so I'll give it another whirl down the line. That said I think the fact that both were already first person games made the transition much better since everything was already tailored for that style and view which was enhanced for VR. RE4, on the other hand, is not and would require much more effort to bring it in line (as was done with the Quest RE4 version) and Capcom did not put in that same effort. Not to say what they did was lazy but it's obvious they could've done much more with it given time and money.
I’m liking the VR version a fair bit. It’s faster paced and less hands on [vs RE4 Quest or RE8] like you say but I feel like the more I play, the less I notice and compare those reduced interactions and I then see a value in quickness. I am not far, I think in chapter 3. That said, I’m very surprised to hear the 2d version is better for you. I can’t say personally, but I’m glad I didn’t touch the 2d version as that will lower the experience a lot. I always play RE in VR.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
I'd prefer just about anything in VR. Even something like Octopath Traveler 2 would be freaking amazing in VR. Actually probably be better than Village or RE4, just the whole board game come to life look.

Now I'm imaging a mixed reality strategy rpg like Fire Emblem where you have units moving and fighting battles on a grid in your house haha. One day.

I'd prefer just about anything in VR. Even something like Octopath Traveler 2 would be freaking amazing in VR. Actually probably be better than Village or RE4, just the whole board game come to life look.

Now I'm imaging a mixed reality strategy rpg like Fire Emblem where you have units moving and fighting battles on a grid in your house haha. One day.
Imagine something like Diablo 4 or Baldur's gate 3 in vr...

SilentUser

I’ve heard some good things about ancient dungeon on Reddit. Might have to pick it up soon. Definitely in the lookout for more coop experiences that I can play with my brother.

Just bought Arizona sunshine 2 and have really enjoyed it so far.
I'm waiting for the coop (with crossplay) mode to but and play this game with my brother. I like the art (I'm fine with it looking like a Minecraft clone) and the gameplay sounds top notch!

Last edited:
I’m liking the VR version a fair bit. It’s faster paced and less hands on [vs RE4 Quest or RE8] like you say but I feel like the more I play, the less I notice and compare those reduced interactions and I then see a value in quickness. I am not far, I think in chapter 3. That said, I’m very surprised to hear the 2d version is better for you. I can’t say personally, but I’m glad I didn’t touch the 2d version as that will lower the experience a lot. I always play RE in VR.
I think for me it's the change in atmosphere. I actually find the flat version to be more effective for suspense. There are so many set pieces in 4make that I completely forgot about and as I get to them and memories are triggered, I realize I was on edge while playing flat but in VR im cruising through without being on edge much. I've come to the realization, at least for me, that 4make was probably so finely tuned for third person that it loses something in the transition to VR.

Don't get me wrong, I think the VR mode is fantastic. It's just interesting to me because of the various VR modes we have for RE and how they're all quite different. 4make is also the best example of what a hybrid approach could look like.

Mostly just trying to get other perspectives, not trying to be down on the experience or anything like that, I really enjoy playing it in VR, made it to chapter 9 last night.

Just finished my first playthrough of RE4VR. I have a handful of complaints (no manual flashlight, very few VR cutscenes, less interactivity with key items than in 8) but otherwise I absolutely loved it. Parrying attacks with the knife in my left hand while my other hand is free to blast away never got old. Professional mode is going to be wild, I can't wait to start.

I just hope they take the time to port over Separate Ways and Mercs to VR as well.

Minsc

Gold Member
I think for me it's the change in atmosphere. I actually find the flat version to be more effective for suspense. There are so many set pieces in 4make that I completely forgot about and as I get to them and memories are triggered, I realize I was on edge while playing flat but in VR im cruising through without being on edge much. I've come to the realization, at least for me, that 4make was probably so finely tuned for third person that it loses something in the transition to VR.

Don't get me wrong, I think the VR mode is fantastic. It's just interesting to me because of the various VR modes we have for RE and how they're all quite different. 4make is also the best example of what a hybrid approach could look like.

Mostly just trying to get other perspectives, not trying to be down on the experience or anything like that, I really enjoy playing it in VR, made it to chapter 9 last night.

It is interesting to hear your perspective, and reasoning, as I know you've previously enjoyed the VR entries (not sure if you played RE7, probably?) I have read the mine cart section is pretty cool in VR, curious when you make it there!

Top Bottom