• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 |OT| I heard it has a single cable. Is this true?

My PSVR2 has arrived 2 days ago and...That's why I was wondering why the VR device with this specs not blew everyone away? There are some big problems and all of them has to do with PSVR2 OLED displays.
So here is my quick summary:
- Pentile subpixel structure - this is bad. I never thought that it will be worse than Quest 2 resolution and 'readability' wise. It looks like a 'composite' VHS rather than anything IPS let alone OLED. Everything is 'moving' and has a noisy 'mosquito' pattern on solid colors. More you play more you see it. Text readability is non existent.
- Fresnel lenses - the sweet spot is so narrow that it's just painful to adjust headset so much to make text readable. Also every bright light is haloing inside the lenses. Chromatic aberration is out of this world.
- Poor screen calibration - white point is way too warm. Everything white is looking yellow. As if it was not VHS before.
And last but not least - they are not HDR nor wide color gamut displays . I mean you won't notice one or another benefits of OLED displays. I don't know if those lenses absorbing brightness and color gamut but PSVR2 OLEDs are no better in color reproduction and brightness than Quest 2 displays.

Otherwise - it's a best VR headset. Usability, comfort, game library are top-notch. It's just sad that making a good 'all-round' VR headset is that hard.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
My PSVR2 has arrived 2 days ago and...That's why I was wondering why the VR device with this specs not blew everyone away? There are some big problems and all of them has to do with PSVR2 OLED displays.
- Pentile subpixel structure - this is bad. I never thought that it will be worse than Quest 2 resolution and 'readability' wise. It looks like a 'composite' VHS rather than anything IPS let alone OLED. Everything is 'moving' and has a noisy 'mosquito' pattern on solid colors. More you play more you see it. Text readability is non existent.
- Fresnel lenses - the sweet spot is so narrow that it's just painful to adjust headset so much to make text readable. Also every bright light is haloing inside the lenses. Chromatic aberration is out of this world.
- Poor screen calibration - white point is way too warm. Everything white is looking yellow. As if it was not VHS before.
And last but not least - they are not HDR nor wide color gamut displays . I mean you won't notice one or another benefits of OLED displays. I don't know if those lenses absorbing brightness and color gamut but PSVR2 OLEDs are no better in color reproduction and brightness than Quest 2 displays.

Otherwise - it's a best VR headset. Usability, comfort, game library are top-notch. It's just sad that making a good 'all-round' VR headset is that hard.

I don't think you have it quite figured out yet, give it a few more sessions, maybe a week or two, or if possible get your hands on another headset just to be safe. It's got a few problems, but by far most of the time the image it outputs is phenomenal. The OLED benefits stand out in RE Village for sure, and other colorful games. Not sure what you games you've run it through, but many of the bigger titles all have issues (which doesn't mean they're not fun as hell despite).

Something like Red Matter 2 that runs at like 7k resolution will give you a better feel for the quality. No way it doesn't impress, play it through the take off sequence. Despite everything RM2 still exhibits quite a bit of mura though and some shimmering. But the lower res games like Horizon, GT7 and others can definitely fail to show off the device to its fullest on a technical level (the VR car view modes in GT7 look a lot better than the racing mode).

I do agree the chromatic aberration around the edges is distracting at times - but I don't notice it in most games outside of specific visuals. Colors are spot on for me though. Text legibility is good enough for things large and center of vision, but very bad for UI text especially high contrast around edges.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth

I don't think you and I are playing on the same headset to be perfectly honest, I am having none of those issues, hell I just came out of a session of Red Matter and Jesus Holy Fucking Shit.. when I got to Neptune I was quite literally blown away, hands down the most impressive thing I've seen on the PSVR2 or any gaming device to date, the sheer scale and absolute majestic view when you arrive on that planet is utterly awe inspiring, I stood for a few minutes just taking it all in, the sense of scale was off the fucking charts, this is what gaming is meant to be, incredible stuff that only got better the further I got into the game but man, the size of that planet looming over you with the mountains in the distance is insane, 2D gaming can never hope to recreate that feeling no matter how good the graphics are and it's all pin sharp.

If you haven't gotten Red Matter yet, jump all over it just for the visuals alone, the music is also incredible and evokes a sense of wonder, there's a section with dark corridors that are pitch black and you can fire flares into the darkness and the unease is just great, can you imagine if they converted Alien Isolation for this, Christ I don't know if I could hack it tbf lol, any news from that team about a VR version? Surely it'd be a no brainer, anyways fuck me Neptune... Still amazed lol

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
I'm actually interested in getting NMS now that it's been patched. Not now though with Starfield around the corner, but maybe sometime next year.

Also, Vertigo 2 is probably my most wanted upcoming game other than RE4. Looks better and better the more I see of it.

Beechos

My psvr 2 is collecting dust any good original (no quest or steam vr ports) games to play on it besides the launch window games?

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
My psvr 2 is collecting dust any good original (no quest or steam vr ports) games to play on it besides the launch window games?

What's the most recent game you've played on it, hard to say what some consider to be launch window vs others.

Minsc

Gold Member
Switchback or whatever it's called and village.
Sorting PSVR2 games by release date, the more notable entries I see:

-Firewall Ultra (have not read enough impressions yet, I'm cautious about it)
-Synapse (somewhat shallow, but fun for some)
-Beat Saber (maybe you haven't played this yet, people love it)
-Cosmodread (horror space exploration game, got a graphics upgrade and good impressions, but has a System Shock era vibe to it)
-Red Matter 2 (Graphical showpiece, good impressions) space exploration / puzzle game, uncover the story as you play)
-Walkabout Mini Golf (Another must play IMO, oozing with charm. Even if you don't enjoy golf that much, it's just so wacky and creative. Each level has a different theme, so visually there's quite a lot to enjoy in VR. You also have treasure hunts as well as golfing, and the "Hole-in-One" edition catches up with all DLC released).
-Walking Dead Saints and Sinners (Very strong impressions, good graphics, like RE but open world I guess. Not much tying it to TWD series really, more just a survival game)

I don't think I missed too much, the two bolded ones there you shouldn't skip. Resident Evil 4 VR is going to be AMAZING, so there's that for eventually too. I really wish there were more high budget titles in a wider variety of genres. Hell you have a fucking system seller - GT7, so you'd think there'd be TONS of other racing games of various types (space, kart, etc). But no, a heavily advertised VR device that ties in to racing, and no one puts a AAA-level racing game on it, or even AA like Wipeout. WTF. So many other genres like Moss proving successful, and again super-rare. And then where's the AAA RPGs like Skyrim? Again missing.

PORT. YOUR. GAMES. DAMNIT. Sony is so disappointing.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Well, they finally did it. I've had this game since it launched in 2016, but this is the first time I find myself actively wanting to play No Man's Sky whenever I'm not playing it. The PSVR2 version is simply perfect.
Similar, but I sold my copy soon after release back in 2016. Had no further interest in it until I saw VR footage.

Synless

Had my first encounter with sandworms, and it was as soon as I landed on a planet. I know it doesn't look like it in the video, but they are fucking huge in VR. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Dude, I was playing the other day and the ground went nuts In front of me. Suddenly this big fucker explodes from the raw earth and I was in awe.

I would pay good money for PSVR2 ports of Killzone 2, 3, Mercenary and Shadow Fall.

KZ3 was already a proof of concept for a VR Killzone, as it was already playable with the Move motion controller and had stereo 3D support.
I really want to softmod my PS3 so I can force games into 3D mode without the need for a 3D TV. Hook that shit up to the PSVR breakout box and play KZ3 in 3D via the headset. PSVR can display 3D blu rays and stuff like that. In theory it should work with capable games and I think others have confirmed that it does.

nashman

Firewall Ultra should be so much better than it is. IDK what happened did they rush the release to be first before Crossfire sierria squad? FWU needed a delay but now needs a big patches. Im thinking Crossfire will be much better and I will personally get it if reviews are good. I think they decided we either release early before CSS and steal some sales or we delay and release in Dec and still not as good as CSS. Anyways well find out very soon if Im wrong, maybe CSS is subpar aswell.

nashman

Wait one of the paid operaterors SAHA secondary is she "sees thru walls of any enemy that makes noise". WTF DLC wallhacks? Fuck FWU.

At 8:18

Pelao

Okay, I've been playing Crossfire Sierra Squad for a while now. So far, I've quite enjoyed it, but here are a few details to keep in mind:
  • The game is quite arcadey. Play it on hard difficulty, it's really the only way you'll feel compelled to take cover.
  • The campaign missions are nothing to write home about, but the Squad missions, in my opinion, are where the real game is at, and luckily, there are plenty of them and you can play completely solo with a bot companion.
  • As another user already mentioned, holding the rifle feels a bit odd, but this is somewhat alleviated by turning off all the default aiming assists (although I recommend enabling the use of auto-scope, as otherwise you'll have to hold L2 to use the scope of sniper rifles. If you enable the auto-scope, it'll activate when you bring the scope close to your face).
  • Weapon reloading works similarly to Resident Evil 8. You have a button to drop the currently loaded magazine from the gun, but you can also just grab a new magazine, bring it to the gun, and the character will automatically discard the current magazine and load the new one (By the way, if you hold down the button to drop the magazine, it'll discard the weapon you're currently carrying).
  • Unfortunately you cannot pump the shotguns and the bolt on the rifles operates automatically.
  • Grenade throwing is completely manual, including pulling the grenade pin.

Last edited:

aclar00

Just recently purchased Creed and i am a bit disappointed, but its alright overall. Feels light on features and quality of life updates that could make it some much better.

You should definitely be able to turn the arms and body off. I now get why games usually only have the hands visible. The way the arms bend and move dont match my own, so it throws me off quitr a bit.

The first campaign mode or normal seemed over quick as hell to, but thats forgivable given it seems mote like an arcade game, but a bit steep in price.

Also, this is the first game where the cable really became an issue for me. Nonrtheless, i look forward to hopefully a higher quality and feature rich sequal down the road.

SilentUser

Finally played NMS yesterday after the latest update and I mus say I'm absolutely impressed! The game just became a must buy for PSVR2 owners in my opinion. I was going to play only for about half an hour because I had to wake up really soon today, but ended up playing for over 2 hours lmao.
Some scenes, particles and special effects do have a reduced overall quality at sometimes, varying according to the distance and how convoluted things are at the moment, but it is fine. Game is now gorgeous on PSVR2 and I'm dying to play it again, even though I have over 50h of gameplay in flat.

GladiusFrog

Picked up the PSVR 2 at retail this time, everything works unlike my launch set.

Played NMS and was very pleased... Trying the demos out now and trying to figure out what to eventually purchase.

NMS and GT7 are all I own atm.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Picked up the PSVR 2 at retail this time, everything works unlike my launch set.

Played NMS and was very pleased... Trying the demos out now and trying to figure out what to eventually purchase.

Lots of great games to get. RE Village, Red Matter 2, Saints & Sinners, Moss

GladiusFrog

Lots of great games to get. RE Village, Red Matter 2, Saints & Sinners, Moss
I'm ashamed to admit, but when i tried the demo I got really scared lmao. I might be to much of a wuss. Definitely getting it for spooky season though. 👍

Also Looking forward to Project Wingman, whenever that gets released.

Minsc

Gold Member
VR is sinking its claws into me once more. Just picked up No Man's Sky, Hubris, and Synapse.

Crossfire looks dope but I want to knock out some single player games first before I dive into a coop shooter.

I assume you're jumping in on RE4 with us day 1? Hopefully it works out was fun seeing you make it through Village.

I assume you're jumping in on RE4 with us day 1? Hopefully it works out was fun seeing you make it through Village.
Absolutely. I didn't go back and play through 4make a 2nd time cause I'm waiting for the VR version. So stoked. PSVR2 in general has a wild 4th quarter, lots of potentially amazing games set to release.

SilentUser

Welcome back, my friend! Village, Red Matter 2, Moss and Demeo are among the titles I usually recommend.

Hubris is really great so far. Just played for like 90 mins and I'm absolutely loving it. Game looks great, gameplay is fun. This is what I've been wanting for a while when it comes to VR; just a nice action/adventure/platformer-type game. It's like comfort food.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Save it? What a sensacionalist title. In order to be "saved" something needs to be lost or doomed. Seriously...

To be honest, it is kind of lost. It's facing a stand alone headset launching in a month that has better lenses and a lot of other quality of life imrovements, and it's lacking AAA software to drive it forward.

It needs a big price drop and some big name game announcement to breath in some new life. Otherwise its possible it will do even worse than psvr1.

None of that takes away from how good it is overall or the fun you guys are having, it's just a tough sell to casual ps5 owners as is.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
To be honest, it is kind of lost. It's facing a stand alone headset launching in a month that has better lenses and a lot of other quality of life imrovements, and it's lacking AAA software to drive it forward.

It needs a big price drop and some big name game announcement to breath in some new life. Otherwise its possible it will do even worse than psvr1.

None of that takes away from how good it is overall or the fun you guys are having, it's just a tough sell to casual ps5 owners as is.

The advantage the PSVR2 has is the PS5 powers it, which is like comparing a GBA (Quest 3) to a, well, PS5. There's a fucking canyon the size of a moon between the two devices power.

The sad thing is the PSVR2 has all that power behind it and shit for all to use it with. Meanwhile the Quest 3 will see 100s of fun looking "exclusives" which everyone on the PSVR2 will wish they had.

Then for every 100 Quest 3 games we'll get 1 RE4 VR Edition type game, which probably won't even be possible on the Quest 5.

Edellus

I'm on the fence about whether buying PSVR2 or not.

I've heard so many good things about how the experiences of VR games on this headset and the NMS patch that recently came out. But I'm worried if it will continue to receive plenty of games in the years to come. I can afford it, fortunately, but it still quite the spending if I end up only playing like 5 games on it.

Say, if worst comes to happen and everyone abandons PSVR2 in like a year or 2 (hopefully not), how is it playing non VR games on it (cinematic mode I think it's called). Is it a good experience still? Would anyone say it's comparable to playing and watching media in front of a 4k TV in regards to image quality?

Top Bottom