• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 |OT| I heard it has a single cable. Is this true?

Sleepwalker

But you can't play Starfield in vr mannnn
The guy who mods VR modes into regular games:

Keegan Michael Key Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
The advantage the PSVR2 has is the PS5 powers it, which is like comparing a GBA (Quest 3) to a, well, PS5. There's a fucking canyon the size of a moon between the two devices power.

The sad thing is the PSVR2 has all that power behind it and shit for all to use it with. Meanwhile the Quest 3 will see 100s of fun looking "exclusives" which everyone on the PSVR2 will wish they had.

Then for every 100 Quest 3 games we'll get 1 RE4 VR Edition type game, which probably won't even be possible on the Quest 5.

I don't think the canyon is as big as suggested. Between the screen door effect, sweet spot, and lense quality, some of the graphics advantage is diminished.
As to the power difference it's not quite as large as you are implying, the new snapdragon is 3.7 teraflops. Sure you do gain some back with foveated rendering.

But something like re4 should be possible.

Anyhow, maybe the answer isn't keep on as is, maybe a psvr2 se with pancake lenses and a bigger sweet spot, tweak the oled panel a bit, a price drop, and sort of relaunch with God of war vr or ratchet and clank vr is in order.

To be honest, it is kind of lost. It's facing a stand alone headset launching in a month that has better lenses and a lot of other quality of life imrovements, and it's lacking AAA software to drive it forward.

It needs a big price drop and some big name game announcement to breath in some new life. Otherwise its possible it will do even worse than psvr1.

None of that takes away from how good it is overall or the fun you guys are having, it's just a tough sell to casual ps5 owners as is.
Breath of new life? Seriously it has been 6 months since launch and just from Sony we got Gran Turismo and Horizon, also RE Village and the best version of RE4 is coming out soon. Lots of good games coming out till December as well.
Facing a standalone headset so what? You are clearly diminishing all the psvr 2 strengths as if it the quest 3 was a huge step up, and its graphics won't came close to what's possible on the ps 5.

I don't think the canyon is as big as suggested. Between the screen door effect, sweet spot, and lense quality, some of the graphics advantage is diminished.
As to the power difference it's not quite as large as you are implying, the new snapdragon is 3.7 teraflops. Sure you do gain some back with foveated rendering.

Anyhow, maybe the answer isn't keep on as is, maybe a psvr2 se with pancake lenses and a bigger sweet spot, tweak the oled panel a bit, a price drop, and sort of relaunch with God of war vr or ratchet and clank vr is in order.
Maybe the quest 3 pro will have foveated rendering, eye tracking, oled panel, and a decent hardware that can run games on the ps4 level...

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Breath of new life? Seriously it has been 6 months since launch and just from Sony we got Gran Turismo and Horizon, also RE Village and the best version of RE4 is coming out soon. Lots of good games coming out till December as well.
Facing a standalone headset so what? You are clearly diminishing all the psvr 2 strengths as if it the quest 3 was a huge step up, and its graphics won't came close to what's possible on the ps 5.

Yes it's only been 6 months, but if held to a traditional standard for a console entertainment device, what's the next big game? Re4 isn't it. Where is the next AAA exclusive to drive sales? The show of Sony support? They don't have to come out this year but why nothing at all announced?

Honestly, quest 3 has the same issue. It's not going to sell as well as the quest 2 despite its hardware improvemts. But it will take a big chunk of psvr2's market between its stand alone functionality and ability to hook to a pc.

sncvsrtoip

Quest 2 perf was behind ps4 so Quest 3 being 2x performance of Q2 change not that much, still very slow. Also looking into No mans sky example: foeveated rendering makes massive diff and its not available on Q3.

Last edited:

ABnormal

Yes it's only been 6 months, but if held to a traditional standard for a console entertainment device, what's the next big game? Re4 isn't it. Where is the next AAA exclusive to drive sales? The show of Sony support? They don't have to come out this year but why nothing at all announced?

Honestly, quest 3 has the same issue. It's not going to sell as well as the quest 2 despite its hardware improvemts. But it will take a big chunk of psvr2's market between its stand alone functionality and ability to hook to a pc.
The point is that it isn't a traditional standard console: it's VR, which is a niche, which cannot sustain big budgets projects. It has to be purchased knowing that it will not allow to have a steady stream of big titles, and that it will rather allow for selected, but more unforgettable than flat gaming, gaming experiences. While having at the same time a strong stream of smaller titles, among which there seem to be several gems.
It's just matter to know what we are buying. To me, the few great experiences that I'm having with it are more impactful and involving than the latest years of big flat games.
And I'm salivating in the wait for Behemoth, which I hope will be free roaming, without time contraints, with day and night cycle, and free exploration. That would be a dream came true, with the mechanics by Skydance
But it's surely true that I espect much more direct support from Sony. I hope Jimbo doesn't create problems with that: it's not one of his projects, and he was even unsure to bring it forward.
:messenger_loudly_crying:

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

Bought Crossfire. Its like 6/10 game that I enjoy. Its more like Virtua Cop or Time Crisis (+movement) style game than Cod campaign so its disappointing but still fun game.

Last edited:
I'm on the fence about whether buying PSVR2 or not.

I've heard so many good things about how the experiences of VR games on this headset and the NMS patch that recently came out. But I'm worried if it will continue to receive plenty of games in the years to come. I can afford it, fortunately, but it still quite the spending if I end up only playing like 5 games on it.

Say, if worst comes to happen and everyone abandons PSVR2 in like a year or 2 (hopefully not), how is it playing non VR games on it (cinematic mode I think it's called). Is it a good experience still? Would anyone say it's comparable to playing and watching media in front of a 4k TV in regards to image quality?
I say go for it. VR isn't my go to but I'm so glad I have both Sony headsets and the PSVR2 library is legit stacked and only getting better. The coming months are gonna give us some (hopefully) amazing games. Hellsweeper, 7th Guest, Vertigo 2, Bulletstorm, Vampire: The Masquerade: Justice, Madison VR. More too, just can't remember the names.

Check out the PSVRwithoutparole YouTube channel. Dude does an amazing job with keeping the community updated on news, etc.

Also, VR is one of those things that feels really awkward at first but the more you play, the more engaged you get and it starts to feel natural. I've never regretted my decision to get both headsets.

Last edited:

The PSVR2 library is already great though. If all you want are first party Sony games then yea, it's lacking but I have roughly 25 PSVR2 titles and they're all solid, only a few I would l consider meh.

There's also a ton of games releasing this 4th quarter and generally cost 30 or less. It's a great headset and only getting better.

Aside from Spider man 2 what's the next Sony's big AAA for the Ps 5?

Sony has been very quiet lately we don't even know what's in store for its flat games.

I say go for it. VR isn't my go to but I'm so glad I have both Sony headsets and the PSVR2 library is legit stacked and only getting better. The coming months are gonna give us some (hopefully) amazing games. Hellsweeper, 7th Guest, Vertigo 2, Bulletstorm, Vampire: The Masquerade: Justice, Madison VR. More too, just can't remember the names.

Check out the PSVRwithoutparole YouTube channel. Dude does an amazing job with keeping the community updated on news, etc.

Also, VR is one of those things that feels really awkward at first but the more you play, the more engaged you get and it starts to feel natural. I've never regretted my decision to get both headsets.
There's also Foglands and Journey to foundation, plenty of great games till December...

Minsc

Gold Member

To me most Quest 3 games they showed with the announcement visually look like they fall between PS2 level (think GoW or FFXII) and PS3 level. There's no way I see anything on Quest 3 looking remotely like PS4 level games - like Red Dead Redemption 2 or Final Fantasy 7 Remake, etc. And no way in hell will they look anything like PS5 games - FFXVI or R&C, tbh there's not really a big list of what PS5 games look like yet, but you won't find any of those looking like something the Quest 3 will run.

Last edited:

XXL

Paper Beast was pretty great on PSVR1. If they can get the most out of the visuals on PSVR2, this could pretty special.

Does anyone know if it's a free upgrade?

SilentUser

I
Paper Beast was pretty great on PSVR1. If they can get the most out of the visuals on PSVR2, this could pretty special.

Does anyone know if it's a free upgrade?
I'm wondering the same. I have the PSVR1 version for some reason, so a free upgrade qould be awesome lol. Paper Beast is gorgeous and unique, I'm dying to finally be able to play it.

Aside from Spider man 2 what's the next Sony's big AAA for the Ps 5?

Sony has been very quiet lately we don't even know what's in store for its flat games.
I think it's complete madness to more or less rely solely on 1st party output, for any console. Of course Sony makes great games but there's so many great games in general whether it be flat or VR. This whole measuring stick mind set of 1st party being the definitive factor when it comes to overall quality is pure bollocks to me.

And acting like RE4 in VR isn't a big deal? RE is the reason I bought both headsets and continue to get new consoles. Village is arguably the best VR game there is and RE4 could be even better.

I think it's complete madness to more or less rely solely on 1st party output, for any console. Of course Sony makes great games but there's so many great games in general whether it be flat or VR. This whole measuring stick mind set of 1st party being the definitive factor when it comes to overall quality is pure bollocks to me.

And acting like RE4 in VR isn't a big deal? RE is the reason I bought both headsets and continue to get new consoles. Village is arguably the best VR game there is and RE4 could be even better.
RE 4 it's one the best games ever made. Thus, it's really hard to state that it's not a big deal coming to vr, especially the remake version with much better graphics...

Minsc

Gold Member
RE 4 it's one the best games ever made. Thus, it's really hard to state that it's not a big deal coming to vr, especially the remake version with much better graphics...

I guess to be fair the Quest does have the original PS2 version of RE4 improved for VR, which some (very few) people find to be the definitive version of the game. Honestly if I had a Quest as well as a PSVR2, I'd buy both games, they're different enough to merit it and RE4 even the old original version is still a masterpiece of a game and probably awesome in VR.

Looks like I'm pulling the trigger.

s0IDYU7.jpg

gJr9De3.gif
Nice. Be sure to post some impressions and reach out if you need help with finding games you want to play. Regardless of what some people say, the PSVR2 library is really great and only going to get better.

The PSVRwithoutparole discord is great too, super friendly community and people are always trying to coop with others.

If I may, just remember to be patient. If it's your first go with VR it's going to feel really weird, you may get sick, you may find things confusing and clumsy but it really is one of those things where the more you play it becomes second nature and gets super immersive. It's such a cool experience that flat gaming can't provide. So yea, be patient and remember to take a breather if you feel super frustrated at first!

Also, let us know if you need help with locomotion options. Games will always default to snap turning and teleporting but F that. Once you get your sea legs it's smooth full locomotion all day. Prepare to stand too if you're able. VR really is better when you're standing up.

Last edited:

ABnormal

My first 😁. I did try my friends PSVR1 many years ago and I was blown away by the immersion, but the graphics let it down.
Then, first of all, unless you discover that you are not prone to motion sickness, take your time, starting with static experiences, and only VERY gradually increase movement range and time. Takes time, but once you are free to move as you wish without discomfort, it's like being free to move in other worlds.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
Has anyone had any problems with quality control with these head units? Also I wear glasses and my prescription prevents me from getting contact lenses, will this dramatically reduce my experience? I remember wearing glasses on my friends PSVR1 and it didn't bother me.

Has anyone had any problems with quality control with these head units? Also I wear glasses and my prescription prevents me from getting contact lenses, will this dramatically reduce my experience? I remember wearing glasses on my friends PSVR1 and it didn't bother me.
If you can I highly recommend buy prescription insert lenses for the psvr 2. I got mine at Honsvr and it makes quite a difference!

Edellus

I pulled the trigger too. It arrives tomorrow. I didn't buy a bundle, just the headset, though. I already have No Man's Sky to start with and I'll buy other games after trying out their demos (which there are a lot of, fortunately).

I feel like a kid right now. Waiting 24 hours before being able to play with your new shiny toy is a lot of waiting for a kid haha.

Filldo

s0IDYU7.jpg

gJr9De3.gif
Enjoy! I just got mine about 3 weeks ago and fucking love it. Its my first VR headset so I've been super impressed, I played the original PSVR a bit but this is a lot better to me.

Favorite games so far, Pistol Whip, videos really don't do it justice, a stupidly simple fun game and great for developing your VR legs.

Red Matter 2 is the first game I've played all the way through to completion and I loved it. Very pretty, great atmosphere, some really stunning moments and I personally really enjoyed the story and puzzles, great use of VR. It did give me motion sickness the first couple times I played it so I'd play a bit and quit and come back to it.

Synapse, just wow, really cool art style and one of the best power fantasy games I think I've ever played. Being able to grab someone with one hand and literally the rag doll toss them through the air is amazing, and you're doing that while shooting another person in the face. Grabbing grenades midair and tossing them back, picking up blocks and moving them around to block bullets, picking up a guy and bringing them right up in front of you to shotgun in the face, just so good. I'm not a big rogue lite kinda guy but I have seriously enjoyed this game.

Walking Dead, one of the most immersive games I've played so far. Bashing zombies with a frying pan is both hilarious and terrifying when they stack up on you! I do find this game stressful though and so I have not put as much time into it as I thought I would. Its really well done but I just hate feeling stressed out when I'm playing a game.

GT7, I haven't really played many racing games over the last few years and really didn't expect this one to grab me but I bought it on the recommendation of pretty much every PSVR2 owner and its stellar and thrilling and an absolute blast.

Resident Evil Village is gorgeous, it also freaks me out to where I have not been able to play very much cause its just stressful. I finished Red Matter 2 though so I've put it back in the rotation and will suffer through it haha

Oh and After the Fall has been fun playing with my brother, its like a left for dead clone, though not even close to the quality of left for dead, but still a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to Arizona Sunshine 2 by the same devs later this year. I'm looking at Crossfire as something else to play coop, just came out this week and reviews seem ok.

Most anticipated title by far is behemouth, same people who did walking dead so I have fairly high expectations.

XXL

s0IDYU7.jpg

gJr9De3.gif
MUST OWNS

- Pavlov (for TTT)
- GT7
- Red Matter 2
- Synapse
- RE8
- NMS
- Pistol Whip

All of these games are extraordinary. There are a bunch of other games that are great too, but those are the winners imo.

Most of them were just on sale, not sure if they still are.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
I wear glasses and bought some ring inserts on amazon to protect the VR lenses, works great for me.
Link please. Is this what you use?

Last edited:
Enjoy! I just got mine about 3 weeks ago and fucking love it. Its my first VR headset so I've been super impressed, I played the original PSVR a bit but this is a lot better to me.

Favorite games so far, Pistol Whip, videos really don't do it justice, a stupidly simple fun game and great for developing your VR legs.

Red Matter 2 is the first game I've played all the way through to completion and I loved it. Very pretty, great atmosphere, some really stunning moments and I personally really enjoyed the story and puzzles, great use of VR. It did give me motion sickness the first couple times I played it so I'd play a bit and quit and come back to it.

Synapse, just wow, really cool art style and one of the best power fantasy games I think I've ever played. Being able to grab someone with one hand and literally the rag doll toss them through the air is amazing, and you're doing that while shooting another person in the face. Grabbing grenades midair and tossing them back, picking up blocks and moving them around to block bullets, picking up a guy and bringing them right up in front of you to shotgun in the face, just so good. I'm not a big rogue lite kinda guy but I have seriously enjoyed this game.

Walking Dead, one of the most immersive games I've played so far. Bashing zombies with a frying pan is both hilarious and terrifying when they stack up on you! I do find this game stressful though and so I have not put as much time into it as I thought I would. Its really well done but I just hate feeling stressed out when I'm playing a game.

GT7, I haven't really played many racing games over the last few years and really didn't expect this one to grab me but I bought it on the recommendation of pretty much every PSVR2 owner and its stellar and thrilling and an absolute blast.

Resident Evil Village is gorgeous, it also freaks me out to where I have not been able to play very much cause its just stressful. I finished Red Matter 2 though so I've put it back in the rotation and will suffer through it haha

Oh and After the Fall has been fun playing with my brother, its like a left for dead clone, though not even close to the quality of left for dead, but still a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to Arizona Sunshine 2 by the same devs later this year. I'm looking at Crossfire as something else to play coop, just came out this week and reviews seem ok.

Most anticipated title by far is behemouth, same people who did walking dead so I have fairly high expectations.
Don't sleep on Organ Quarter. It's indie and feels like you're inside a PSX game, graphics and all but man, legit one of the best survival horror games I've ever played. The tiny team absolutely nailed it. OST is God-tier as well. Relatively cheap too and has been on sale a few times. Add it to the wishlist! 😁

Filldo

Link please. Is this what you use?

That looks pretty close if not exact! Definitely same company, https://a.co/d/bk3I84S

Filldo

Don't sleep on Organ Quarter. It's indie and feels like you're inside a PSX game, graphics and all but man, legit one of the best survival horror games I've ever played. The tiny team absolutely nailed it. OST is God-tier as well. Relatively cheap too and has been on sale a few times. Add it to the wishlist! 😁
I've seen that one on sale, will definitely add to the list!

Anything else you recommend? I'm pretty open to all genre's, I forgot to mention I also have No Mans Sky and Mini Golf, just haven't had much time in either so I don't feel comfortable recommending them to people yet.

I've seen that one on sale, will definitely add to the list!

Anything else you recommend? I'm pretty open to all genre's, I forgot to mention I also have No Mans Sky and Mini Golf, just haven't had much time in either so I don't feel comfortable recommending them to people yet.
Definitely Hubris from what I've played so far.
Horizon: COTM is much better than some reviewers gave it credit for but wait for a deep sale. I wouldn't spend $50 on it (though I think I did, lol).
Moss: Book 1&2 are must owns IMO because it shows how great a platformer can be in VR.
Red Matter 2 is a must own, escape room style sci-fi puzzle game. Damn fun to boost around, graphics are stunning and you can grab and toss all kinds of stuff. It's a really good example of VR immersion.
Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners and the sequel, Retribution. Fantastic games but they are pretty intense. I play on easy cause time is short and the backlog is massive.
Song in the Smoke is a fantastic survival game but it may not be your cup of tea, it's pretty brutal/sloggish if you're not into those kinds of games.
I picked up Synapse yesterday but haven't played it yet. It seems to be one of the best VR experiences for any VR headset (PSVR2 exclusive)
Runner is really cool and arguably the best bang for your buck but I don't consider it a must-own. It's a great game though.
RE: Village
Light Brigade
is really great, check that game out. Lots of people consider it the absolute sleeper gem for PSVR2. Great gun mechanics, super tense atmosphere. Souls/Rogue-lite with a WWI type look.

I didn't VR much the past 3 months or so so I'm behind a bit. There's definitely more games out there but I haven't played them yet. There's also a ton of exciting games releasing throughout the rest of the year.

Minsc

Gold Member
My first 😁. I did try my friends PSVR1 many years ago and I was blown away by the immersion, but the graphics let it down.

Sweet. Horizon is an AMAZING first impression. I am the same way, was floored by the setup process, booted right in to Horizon - play it standing up btw, and keep it short. The opening sequence feels like a Disney World ride, it was so fun.

GT7 is great but hard to deal with at first for me.

I used RE Village to get my VR legs, and I can easily recommend it for that as well. You have the demo area and opening sequence to keep repeating until you get it down. It's 100% doable and worth it.

Start by leaving on the vignetting and snap turning. Do it for 5-10 minutes, walk around, look at stuff. Then move to analog move with vignetting. This will be nicer because you don't jump around the view, but it also takes a bit to get used to. Again, 5-15 minute short sessions, over a few days. Eventually this will feel fine. Now turn off the vignetting, and experience true immersion. At first you may feel a little awkward again, but NEVER force it. After a few minutes take a long break (maybe a day) and go back and repeat. It took me a few weeks - maybe 2 to move from snap turning to full analog w/ no vignetting, and RE8 is so damn immersive and awesome and looks so amazing, and scares you shitless at times, it's just unlike anything else, I highly highly recommend it and training yourself to those settings - analog movement, no vignetting. It'll help for other games too. Also turn off manual reloading in RE8 - it's hectic enough just going for headshots without worrying about reloading maneuvers and messing up the hand movements etc.

Last edited:
I gotta comment again on how good Hubris is. Just finished Chapter 2. Played for nearly 3 hours total, PS5 says 38% done. Hands down one of the best VR games I've ever played. I'm really blown away at the quality of the campaign. While playing I thought to myself that it might be my personal GOTY so far.

Definitely add it to your wish list on PSN.

Gamerguy84

Resident evil is freaky. GT7 damn it's on another level. I just bought s wheel for it.

Top Bottom