• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 |OT| I heard it has a single cable. Is this true?

SilentUser

Content update is going live today for Light Brigade. Add that game to your wishlist if you haven't already. Fantastic rogue/souls-like FPS w/ great VR firearm mechanics. You load the ammo, pull the slide, etc. Really great game with tense atmosphere.
This was actually the very first PSVR2 I "completed". Such a cool game: nice atmosphere, great gameplay, interesting weapons and enemies. I recommend it, that's for sure.

Will all VR games have a physical release eventually? I'm not to keen on buying digital.
Nah, most are digital only.

With VR you really gotta take into account that most games are gonna be digital only and most will have some glaring issues at launch. However, most developers go back and update the games. It's basically the same issue with flat gaming but in VR it can definitely feel like you're getting an early access game at times but in many cases the content dumps do arrive.

It's best to keep in the back of your head that these VR studios are tiny. Many are just a handful of people but the quality games really shine. Patience is a must if you're VR gaming.

Also, take advantage of discord. Most of the VR developers have channels and want feedback when it comes to updates. Lots of the developers are active in the PSVRwitboutparole discord too. With VR you really are part of a tight knit community, if you want to be, and the developers recognize this and usually lean into it so they can improve their games.

Last edited:

Edellus

Okay, my first 5 hours impressions. This is my first prolonged VR experience, btw.

The setup was smooth (I couldn't pair the controllers at first, but it turns out you have to charge them first, so that was my bad).

But I was seeing everything blurry and out of focus, even after calibration. I was concerned at first, so I searched online and I found that you have to adjust the position of the headset very precisely, and that is to help with the clarity of the centre of the view.
After readjusting, the centre view looks much better. The edges are still blurry and what it looks like a bit of chromatic aberration or something, but I read that is normal.
There's also some constant mild grainy effect everywhere. You forget about it very quickly, though.

The first game I tried was No Man's Sky: It was tripy and I was very lost. One would think it obvious, but it plays and feels like an entirely new game in VR. It's very interactive. You have to do everything with your hands. But also, you're much slower to do anything (at least I am, for now). Which makes sense, since you have to make more and bigger movements to make things happen.
The graphics are not as good as in non VR mode. There's some shimmering in the distance, and some effects look weird. Some low textures are noticeable now that you're so close to them.
But the sense of scale is outright impressive and the immersion unavoidable (camera height in 1st person is fixed in VR).
I have yet to fully get used to this new way of playing NMS (I suck at flying my ship now, and therefore I also suck at space battles), but I'm already convinced.

The 2nd game I tried was Horizon Call of the Mountain: When looking at gameplay it doesn't seem particularly fun to me. Just some slow climbing and what looked to me like awkward combat. But boy it's different when actually playing it. The climbing is engaging and the combat makes you feel like a badass. And you can touch pretty much everything.

With NMS and when I started playing this demo, I still could see some blurriness (specially for anything beyond like 4 meters). But after like an hour or 2, I kind of started getting used to it. It doesn't go away completely, but somehow you see more details. It doesn't bother me anymore. And I could appreciate the graphics of this game, because they are impressive. Best graphics out of the 3 games I've played so far xD. I should also mention that it's demonstration of eye tracking was quite cool (even though it is only in menus, for the demo at least).

Last is Beat Sabers. Simplest game out of the 3, by far... And I love it. I don't know what else to say. It is just a very satisfying experience and fun game, with some very fitting rhythmic music. I played like 7 songs only, but I can already see the difficulty curve going up. It's going to be great.

The 3D audio in these games is something else. Specially in Horizon Call of the mountain, I had to constantly remind myself to not check noices irl, that they were just the game.
The use of haptic feedback is pretty great and adds so much to the immersion.

So far, I'm having a blast with PSVR2. It's not perfect, but it still manages to drop my jaw with ease. I even think it might help me to stay fit too with how much it requires you to move haha.

Okay, my first 5 hours impressions. This is my first prolonged VR experience, btw.

The setup was smooth (I couldn't pair the controllers at first, but it turns out you have to charge them first, so that was my bad).

But I was seeing everything blurry and out of focus, even after calibration. I was concerned at first, so I searched online and I found that you have to adjust the position of the headset very precisely, and that is to help with the clarity of the centre of the view.
After readjusting, the centre view looks much better. The edges are still blurry and what it looks like a bit of chromatic aberration or something, but I read that is normal.
There's also some constant mild grainy effect everywhere. You forget about it very quickly, though.

The first game I tried was No Man's Sky: It was tripy and I was very lost. One would think it obvious, but it plays and feels like an entirely new game in VR. It's very interactive. You have to do everything with your hands. But also, you're much slower to do anything (at least I am, for now). Which makes sense, since you have to make more and bigger movements to make things happen.
The graphics are not as good as in non VR mode. There's some shimmering in the distance, and some effects look weird. Some low textures are noticeable now that you're so close to them.
But the sense of scale is outright impressive and the immersion unavoidable (camera height in 1st person is fixed in VR).
I have yet to fully get used to this new way of playing NMS (I suck at flying my ship now, and therefore I also suck at space battles), but I'm already convinced.

The 2nd game I tried was Horizon Call of the Mountain: When looking at gameplay it doesn't seem particularly fun to me. Just some slow climbing and what looked to me like awkward combat. But boy it's different when actually playing it. The climbing is engaging and the combat makes you feel like a badass. And you can touch pretty much everything.

With NMS and when I started playing this demo, I still could see some blurriness (specially for anything beyond like 4 meters). But after like an hour or 2, I kind of started getting used to it. It doesn't go away completely, but somehow you see more details. It doesn't bother me anymore. And I could appreciate the graphics of this game, because they are impressive. Best graphics out of the 3 games I've played so far xD. I should also mention that it's demonstration of eye tracking was quite cool (even though it is only in menus, for the demo at least).

Last is Beat Sabers. Simplest game out of the 3, by far... And I love it. I don't know what else to say. It is just a very satisfying experience and fun game, with some very fitting rhythmic music. I played like 7 songs only, but I can already see the difficulty curve going up. It's going to be great.

The 3D audio in these games is something else. Specially in Horizon Call of the mountain, I had to constantly remind myself to not check noices irl, that they were just the game.
The use of haptic feedback is pretty great and adds so much to the immersion.

So far, I'm having a blast with PSVR2. It's not perfect, but it still manages to drop my jaw with ease. I even think it might help me to stay fit too with how much it requires you to move haha.
Yea, Red Matter 2 is the best example for native 120hz. Most games are reprojected but I'm not super sensitive to it thankfully.

VR games will always looks sharper flat but that's just the nature of the tech. Some people really can't get past it because they expect the flat version to be the world VR puts them in, and some games do look rough unfortunately but it comes with the territory. That being said, there are some great looking games available, it really comes down to each development studio and like any generation of hardware, we'll see teams really take advantage of it in the months and years to come.

Add Hubris to your wishlist, it has a lot of climbing like COTM but also gun mechanics, etc. Graphics are fantastic too, easily one of the best looking games for PSVR2. It's such a dope game, about to boot it up in a bit. Reminds me of OG Halo but with more platforming. SP campaign only, no MP.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

The bolded is literally the greatest\most accurate view point on PSVR2. And you're a newbie lol.

- PSVR2 is fun
- It's not perfect
- But sometimes my jaw drops when playing games in PSVR2.

Edellus

I wonder if PSVR2 owners buy more games on average. Because I'm resisting the urge to buy a lot of games right now. I just bought a music pack in Beat Saber and a few songs, before I stopped myself from buying more.

My main strategy right now is to just wait for a sale before indulging that impulse. The other strategy that creeped into my mind is to buy one big VR game now to scratch that itch while waiting for a sale of the other games.

I mean, it's exciting to have this new world of games being open to me now, but I'm kind of getting the feeling that it can also be dangerous.

Also, thanks to my forehead hurting a bit and having pressure marks, I learned that the headset doesn't need to be adjusted too tight. I'm also learning it would be convenient to buy a charging station for the controllers, because having 4 USB cables connected to your PS5 is not pretty.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I wonder if PSVR2 owners buy more games on average. Because I'm resisting the urge to buy a lot of games right now. I just bought a music pack in Beat Saber and a few songs, before I stopped myself from buying more.

My main strategy right now is to just wait for a sale before indulging that impulse. The other strategy that creeped into my mind is to buy one big VR game now to scratch that itch while waiting for a sale of the other games.

I mean, it's exciting to have this new world of games being open to me now, but I'm kind of getting the feeling that it can also be dangerous.

Also, thanks to my forehead hurting a bit and having pressure marks, I learned that the headset doesn't need to be adjusted too tight. I'm also learning it would be convenient to buy a charging station for the controllers, because having 4 USB cables connected to your PS5 is not pretty.
I remember Sony stating PSVR1 owners bought 10x the amount of games compared to regular flat screen players.

Beechos

I remember Sony stating PSVR1 owners bought 10x the amount of games compared to regular flat screen players.
I think this does sum vr pretty well. I've bought a bunch of vr games crossing my fingers for a new experience and hopefully something that stands out amongst the shovelware.

ABnormal

I surely do:messenger_grinning_sweat:

And luckily, the number of high quality VR games is MUCH higher than in the PSVR1 years. There are many great games. Of course they tend to be far smaller than flat screen AAA blockbusters, henche the higher buy numbers.

Still hoping Sony will bring forward the hybrid route, which is probably the most important one, in this phase of VR.

Pelao

The first month I bought a lot games, but now I try to buy one a month. I would get more, but I'm still buying flat games for the three major consoles.

I can only speak for myself but I buy a shit ton of games, especially when stuff is on sale. Still a few more I need to get and Crossfire is gonna be my next purchase. I still buy PSVR games on a regular basis as well, it has a surprisingly great library that I slept on for too long but thankfully most of the bangers go on sale for super cheap.

Games I own for PSVR2:
After the Fall
Afterlife VR
Cactus Cowboy: Plants at War (It's free)
Cosmodread
Horizon: CoTM
Hubris
Humanity (free w/ PS+ Extra/Premium)
Last Labyrinth
Moss
Moss: Book 2
No Man's Sky
Poker Stars VR (It's free)
Organ Quarter
Red Matter 2
RE: Village
<Runner>
Song in the Smoke
Synapse
The Light Brigade
The Tale of Onogoro
Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners
Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners: Retribution
Zenith: The Last City (Free upgrade from PSVR version)

Last edited:

wondermega

Is PSVR v01 (for PS4) talk frowned upon in this thread? It just hit me last night that there might be some games for Dreams that utilize the Aim controller, and suddenly I got very excited. I have done zero research into this (other than finding this 3yr old reddit post) but I am super excited to look around a bit. Love the Aim gun (still!) If anyone has any thoughts, please clue me in! I'll report back with anything interesting that I find, if people would like to discuss..

SilentUser

Is PSVR v01 (for PS4) talk frowned upon in this thread? It just hit me last night that there might be some games for Dreams that utilize the Aim controller, and suddenly I got very excited. I have done zero research into this (other than finding this 3yr old reddit post) but I am super excited to look around a bit. Love the Aim gun (still!) If anyone has any thoughts, please clue me in! I'll report back with anything interesting that I find, if people would like to discuss..
Sorry, my good man! Can't help you, never owned a PSVR :(

Finished Hubris today, really enjoyed that game. Not a ton of replay value outside of trophies but it's a game I'll play 1-2 times a year from now on. Fantastic campaign, easily one of the best VR games I've played so far.

Started a run in Synapse for the first time. Man, this game is such a vibe. It's reminds me of The Light Brigade but much more fast paced. TLB is slower and honestly pretty spooky at times due to the fog of war atmosphere. Synapse is like badass 1980s sci-fi action.

Also tried a bit of No Man's Sky because of the update but it actually crashed on me a few minutes in. Probably for the best, I think the normal mode is gonna be too much crafting. Start a new game under the explorer mode at some point.

I still play PSVR on a somewhat regular basis and own an Aim controller. I doubt anyone would mind if PSVR gets mentioned. Even on gaf the VR community is pretty small.

Speaking of PSVR, Killing Floor: Incursion is on sale for 5.99 right now, normally 19.99. Played some coop last night. That game is so great. Running around with two axes, chopping zombies to pieces. Hilarious stuff. Buddy was rocking two shotguns. Slept on that game for way too long. The first two levels were absolutely fantastic.

Last edited:

Toss it out now (I think). Game looks great to me, nice take on the platforming genre.

Can't get it now, too many expenses in life for the coming weeks but I plan on getting it after I purchase Crossfire.

Hang on to your butts, and dollars. The software floodgates are about to burst open. Exciting times.

Filldo

I can only speak for myself but I buy a shit ton of games, especially when stuff is on sale. Still a few more I need to get and Crossfire is gonna be my next purchase. I still buy PSVR games on a regular basis as well, it has a surprisingly great library that I slept on for too long but thankfully most of the bangers go on sale for super cheap.

Games I own for PSVR2:
After the Fall
Afterlife VR
Cactus Cowboy: Plants at War (It's free)
Cosmodread
Horizon: CoTM
Hubris
Humanity (free w/ PS+ Extra/Premium)
Last Labyrinth
Moss
Moss: Book 2
No Man's Sky
Poker Stars VR (It's free)
Organ Quarter
Red Matter 2
RE: Village
<Runner>
Song in the Smoke
Synapse
The Light Brigade
The Tale of Onogoro
Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners
Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners: Retribution
Zenith: The Last City (Free upgrade from PSVR version)
You need pistol whip. It looks pretty dumb in videos but its so fucking fun. Synthriders is also amazing. Both games double as fairly rigorous exercise which is why I play them every day now.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
I really want Spacewalk VR.

I'm burnt out from Horizon Zero Dawn games, so I'll probably give it a miss. I'm not allowed to touch my PSVR2 until my Birthday later this month. I'm trying to get my head around buying digital games because I'm really not happy about it. Fortunately not all games are digital.

These games will be my first experience with VR

Rlgomuq.jpg

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

I'm burnt out from Horizon Zero Dawn games, so I'll probably give it a miss. I'm not allowed to touch my PSVR2 until my Birthday later this month. I'm trying to get my head around buying digital games because I'm really not happy about it. Fortunately not all games are digital.

Rlgomuq.jpg

I would skip Kayk ;) Crossfire an Hubris are good games and can recommand. Btw if you likce space setup try Red Matter 2

Last edited:

PanzerCute

Rlgomuq.jpg

Skip Kayak. Nausea inducing (and I have no issues with other games), no content and you will probably get bored after 20 minutes.

PanzerCute

Rlgomuq.jpg

Oh and man if you like Space Games you juts cannot miss Red Matter 2.

Have you ever dreamed of being in Space, just above Saturn and its ring?

You can now experience that, with the best IQ on the headset.

I showed it to my father in law, 65 year old and a HUGE SF nerd, he had tears in his eyes.

Filldo

Oh and man if you like Space Games you juts cannot miss Red Matter 2.

Have you ever dreamed of being in Space, just above Saturn and its ring?

You can now experience that, with the best IQ on the headset.

I showed it to my father in law, 65 year old and a HUGE SF nerd, he had tears in his eyes.
Red Matter 2 is really well done and has so many breathtaking moments! Loved it! Gonna go back and replay it in maybe a year. I think Hubris will be next on my list after Fart Town's glowing praise, I notice they have similar taste in games as I do so far and what I've seen of it looks great.

Filldo

Rlgomuq.jpg

I went fully digital at the end of the PS3 lifecycle and have not looked back. I just wait for sales and buy maybe 2 new games a year. VR I'm buying more but its cause they're already priced pretty low. Hubris is on my list, Kayak I keep going back and forth on.

Will probably pick it up on sale. I did buy Crossfire and I'm having fun with it but its got some jank. Although I think a lot of it is being old and not great at VR games yet. For example Synapse I'm still struggling to complete. Most people say it took them an hour to get through it the first time and I think I'm at like 6 hours and still haven't gotten through on the easiest level. It is however one of my favorite games and I really hope we get another one cause its fucking awesome and more people need to play it.

Still needing to try the coop missions on Sierra Squad as that was the main reason for purchasing, to play with my brother, but just haven't had time this week.

Rlgomuq.jpg

Hubris is dope dude. I played through it last week and loved it. Some mechanics certainly feel indie at times but you'll get used to it. The campaign has great pacing and a lot of variety. Hope you dig it!

Top Bottom