• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pluto New Horizons |OT| New images. Pluto/Charon still geologically active

Status
Not open for further replies.
untitledb0pts.jpg

Ithil

So Pluto is less than 100 million years old, and has no kraters.

No, Pluto is billions of years old. He meant that region of mountains is less than 100 million years old, meaning Pluto is geologically active (unlike, say Earth's Moon).

sphinx

the piano man
was I the only one with moisty eyes towards the end of the presentation???

we humans suck sometimes... but sometimes... damn.

pulsemyne

So much science from just a few images. Great stuff. It's current surface being about 100 million years old is really amazing. God only knows how it's geologically active.

nny

All these questions on theories and explanations...they just got some of the data and are still getting more.

How do mountains on Pluto form? Especially "youthful" ones. While that term is relative, I would imagine pluto isn't seismically active with a warm interior and moving plates and faults, like earth.

Aiii

So not worth it
Pluto is stunningly beautiful. I wish we could have landed a rover on it and explore it all. What a shame we won't get to do that for what I'm sure is another long while.

KarmaCow

How do mountains on Pluto form? Especially "youthful" ones. While that term is relative, I would imagine pluto isn't seismically active with a warm interior and moving plates and faults, like earth.

That's why it's surprising. The mountains aren't pure rock and are more icy but it still seems to geologically active enough to not be flattened and covered in craters.

gutshot

Nobody knows yet. Until a few hours ago, scientists didn't even think such a thing was possible.

Ithil

This is something they have yet to determine. This is only one small image of a small area of the planet, which has already revealed a lot of new info.
They only found out this stuff this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom