• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pluto New Horizons |OT| New images. Pluto/Charon still geologically active

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lime

See my post here. Those recomendations are specific to astrophotography. Getting into visual astronomy won't cost you nearly as much.

If you have any questions just PM me.

Here are a few deep-space pics I've taken.

how do you get those colors of those deep space shots? Amazing work!

jchap

Beautiful pictures, very nicely done! Where do you live that your able to take shots like that?

I'd imagine location would be a big part of amateur astronomy, can't see much if your living in NYC with all the bright lights of the city is assume.

All those pics were taken in my front yard in northern VA about 30 miles from DC. The light pollution from the metro area is bad but not unmanageable. Of course you get much better results at a dark site.

Prez

See my post here. Those recomendations are specific to astrophotography. Getting into visual astronomy won't cost you nearly as much.

If you have any questions just PM me.

Here are a few deep-space pics I've taken.

What telescope do you have? Would you see any of that through the scope or is it because of long exposure times?

chepu

I personally think that as long as we continue on the path of fuel/propulsion, space travel will never advance. Unless I suppose propulsion could be though of in abstract ways. It sounds hokey, but I believe the only real logical explanation or way to advance in space exploration is through our understanding and eventual manipulation of time.? (this is both a statement and a question, because I have no idea what I am talking about)

Edit: I have no delusions or doubt, we are not alone. Perhaps though we have already encountered life, but it is totally unrecognizable, or indistinguishable to our limited thinking or comprehension.

At last! someone that have the same idea i've had for a while!

What I think is what if another life form is just made in a way our eyes cant see, heck what if they are made of dark matter and there are worlds we cant even touch due to physical limitations.

I would love to read and talk more about this. Everytime I remember I may not see anything related happen I get sad :(

Cool! If you (or anyone for that matter) do end up buying it and want some help, just shoot me a PM.

Sorry to disturb the thread but is there any site to learn the basics of using a telescope? MY son got one as a gift (nothing really impressive) but it seems that I lack the very basic skills of using a finder, etc.

(not to mention the bad urban sky here and the usually bad weather...)

elfinke

What telescope do you have? Would you see any of that through the scope or is it because of long exposure times?

Multiple (sometimes hundreds or thousands, often taken in different RGB/wavelengths through different apparatus. Also combined with 'flats' and 'darks' that you take at the same time to eliminate the hot spots and other instrumental errors that digital sensors in cameras emit) lengthy exposures. But the post jchap linked to in his response is full of great detail.

Read about DeepSkyStacker and AutoStakkert on google for info on how that works, but it is exactly what it sounds like. And it can be done quite cheaply and relatively easily with modest equipment (though obviously set your expectations correctly - those pics taken by jchap come from time, practice and decent equipment!) Everyone who has a camera and an interest in AP should have a go at making a barndoor tracker, even a basic single arm one can allow for very lengthy exposures. But if you're handy, I would insist you build the type 4 'Dave Trott' version of the barndoor, it's sublime.

AP is a glorious endeavour. - it starts with 30sec exposures @ 200mm where you point your DSLR at Orion and discover that beautiful red nebula in your image, and ends with you scouring second hand markets looking for HEQ5's and wedges.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
God damn, jchap, those pictures are bloody crazy.

There is also the NASA Asteroid Redirect Mission. Where they plan to grab a multi-ton boulder from an asteroid and bring it into orbit around the moon. Then they will send astronauts to take sample from it. This could also set a precedent and be valuable steps for possible asteroid mining operations. This is set for somewhere in the 2020s
https://www.nasa.gov/content/nasas-journey-to-mars

Didn't that mission get downgraded to pretty much "we're going to send a probe and bring it back", not "bring the whole asteroid and put people on it"?

If that misssion you're talking about is still happening, then fuck yes!

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Knocked out a quick poem (?) about Pluto. It's a thing I do sometimes:

In my mind you existed for the longest time
as a demoted afterthought
an icy misfit
amidst the solar hearth of nickelcores and gaseous furies
A set of inert pixels that could affect nothing
could move no one

Yet here I am,
staring at your profile
beamed across billions of miles
delayed by hours of lighttime
marvelling at your heartform
wondering at your mint condition peaks
intrigued at what lurks beneath your frozen shell
drawn to the inner strength that keeps you going
allows you to dance the fandango with the ferryman across the void

I was wrong
You are alive
For only the living can waltz with the dead
Two sides of the same palm
Opposite but inseparable
Tidal locked

So while we finally notice you
toss out theories because of you
are collectively enriched by you
You care not one whit
going on as you always do
content to take the long way around
across the farthest shores
where sunshine changes to starlight
year after year
four of yours equating to a thousand of ours
No hurry
For you know your way
Through the darkness

lupin23rd

Damn jchap those are amazing.

When I was a kid I really wanted a nice telescope to see stuff like that - can you only see colors and details like that via astrophotography or can you see some if it manually through the scope as well?

elfinke

Damn jchap those are amazing.

When I was a kid I really wanted a nice telescope to see stuff like that - can you only see colors and details like that via astrophotography or can you see some if it manually through the scope as well?

A not very technical explanation can be found here: https://www.astronomics.com/how-much-color-can-i-see-with-a-telescope_t.aspx but otherwise Google has plenty of other answers.

But basically it boils down to how the rods and cones in our eyes have evolved to be sensitive to light, or in this case not sensitive enough. There are many things in the night sky that are full of colour when you view them visually, though so don't be put off. Visual astronomy is a real treat.

cameron

Just released:
charon20for207-16-15.jpg

Media briefing today. More images. Maybe they'll have some theories about the formation. Geophysics! Stuff and thangs!

jchap

I have an 11 inch SCT with a 2800 mm focal length. My tracking mount is a Losmandy and has a instument capacity of 60 lbs. I use an off axis guider for full fl photography and various guide scopes for reduced fl photography. Those shots were taken with a lens replacing the secondary mirror of the SCT which makes the scope f/2. In this configuration you don't need especially long exposures for these kind of targets. These were stacks of 30 second exposures. With a camera and a few second exposure you can see everything in those pictures but it is a noisy mess. Stacking pictures up is what makes them clear and bright. With an eye piece you can see these structures but not nearly as well.

I use a modified Canon 6d which has the IR cut filters removed. For planetary photography I use a b&w high frame-rate ccd with a tiny frame and a color wheel. I also have a ccd as a tracking camera and plan on getting a cooled ccd in the future to use for ds photography.

Im really looking forward to todays image dump. For some reason I really want to see a good image of the smaller moons.

I don't know what can make a person cry, cheer, or faint besides aliens.

My expectations are low.

The formations on pluto and charon are unnatural for it's location. Obviously the two rocks were placed their by ancient aliens to archive the history of this solar system.

spekkeh

Banned
I don't think people would cheer if they suddenly saw proof for alien life. They'd be gobsmacked.

Besides, the resolution probably wouldn't be good enough for that. Even if the aliens were 20 meters wide, it just be an undistinguishable pixel. Probably it just proves some kind of theory they had, and the fainter was narcoleptic.

My guess is liquid water. I thought I saw cracks in the surface on that Charon closeup.
It's like minus 220 degrees.

Staab

My guess is liquid water. I thought I saw cracks in the surface on that Charon closeup.

My guess too, albeit not on the surface, it's too cold (as said above). Probably a combination of frozen H2O and tectonic activity creating underground lakes or something and they managed to find proof.

Razorback

Has this Stephen Colbert Interview been posted yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jXazEYi3P8

Man, why is Neil Degrasse Tyson so terrible at explaining why pluto isn't a planet?

Why not say it hasn't cleared its orbit of debris. Why not explain that if pluto is a planet, than so are many other very large objects out there, like ceres and eris.

Ikael

If it is running liquid water due to a combination of ice caps + geothermal activity, I am going to flip my shit and faint myself too. We're talkign about almost every single ingredient needed for life. It would beaasjdkajsdSKLJSKDJSAKDJASDKJK

spekkeh

Banned
If it is running liquid water due to a combination of ice caps + geothermal activity, I am going to flip my shit and faint myself too. We're talkign about almost every single ingredient needed for life. It would beaasjdkajsdSKLJSKDJSAKDJASDKJK

Hasn't that already been proven for Ganymede though?

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member

Given surface pressure of Pluto any sort of liquid would be something completely unthinkable. Either that or the atmosphere is much thicker than previously thought.

andycapps

Has this Stephen Colbert Interview been posted yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jXazEYi3P8

Man, why is Neil Degrasse Tyson so terrible at explaining why pluto isn't a planet?

Why not say it hasn't cleared its orbit of debris. Why not explain that if pluto is a planet, than so are many other very large objects out there, like ceres and eris.

Ceres is about 1/3 of the size of Pluto, no? Eris is about the same size as Pluto, but they're all classified as dwarf planets. The video was pretty funny, I'm not sure why NGT didn't explain the difference between a dwarf planet and a planet, honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom