• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pocket Planes |OT| ...and don't call me Shirley (iOS, Universal) #GAFAIR crew

Meier

I did put down a dollar on this just like I did with Tiny Tower. They earned it. I probably would have bought a $3 package but the $5 step up seemed a little steep.

I haven't even bothered with the advertising thing. It's the only thing I haven't experimented with in the game. Is it worth it?

Also, out of curiosity: has anyone plunked down real life money to get extra bux? I haven't spent a dime.

I gave them money for 200 Bux. Seemed okay to me, although I still have not fully used them. I have never been below 150 Bux since I bought them, and saved up to almost 400 Bux at one time - currently at 280Bux.

I think I will fully splash out once I get to bigger planes (level 20ish I guess)

shira

Anyone getting a bug where the screens don't refresh?

Like I'm trying to buy a part then I go the map screen, but the map buttons don't work
It's still stuck on the parts screen

senador

Banned
I bought $5 worth early on just to support Nimblebit. With Tiny Tower, the bux helped earlier on so I figured that'd be a better time. It did help, but this game will also need big money in the later game as planes get more spendy, so either way works I think.

Anyone getting a bug where the screens don't refresh?

Like I'm trying to buy a part then I go the map screen, but the map buttons don't work
It's still stuck on the parts screen

Kill the app, it should fix it. Its a menu layering problem, something that happens so the button mapping doesn't mach what's being shown on screen.

MUHAHAHAHAHA

tumblr_m6q1peIN2r1qghnumo1_500.jpg

Well then: Maiden flight: 9/17 to Paris, remaining to Moscow from Lagos. It will lose money on it's first leg to Paris.

Can anyone point me to a list of planes, the level at which they unlock, and their cost in Bux?

I'm level 19 and wondering when I'll get an upgrade from the Aeroeagle, and if its even worth it.

Edit - Here is a link to the level and their capacity. Haven't found Bux costs yet - http://pocketplaneswiki.com/Planes

Can anyone point me to a list of planes, the level at which they unlock, and their cost in Bux?

I'm level 19 and wondering when I'll get an upgrade from the Aeroeagle, and if its even worth it.

Edit - Here is a link to the level and their capacity. Haven't found Bux costs yet - http://pocketplaneswiki.com/Planes
Good link, it confirms my tests about which one is most profitable and easily playable if you don't care for urgency.

Which one are you looking at? I have access to them if you want to know the specific price. Aeroeagle: Each part is 13, building it is 13 (always same as a part).

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a way to lose in PP? Like, what if you scrapped all but one of your planes, sold all but two of your airports, and still have no money to make a flight? Game over?

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Aeroeagle is one of my favourites, the workhorse of my fleet. Fogbuster feels expensive to run so I just keep it around for full longhaul flights (and in events it's the first to be removed if I need to). Sequoia is ok as its slow so you can break even or make money with a half full plane. I think I'll stick with aeroeagles until I can slowly build out sequoias, and then wait it out for a cloudbuster

Edit: that wiki link backs up my choice.

So what can this game do with updates to bring people back to playing?

I'd like an events update where
- I can see how many people are participating in each team, so I have a sense of what being #9 in the table means and helps give context
- positions in the table perhaps based on total jobs divided by number of players. Level the playing field a bit. At the moment you can win just by having a shitload of people do 5 jobs each. I'd rather give the opportunity for smaller teams to work hard and be rewarded. Need balancing though, to stop single players with tons of jobs dominating
- when you collect mystery parts, I'd like a good chance of getting the plane. In the last event I had 9 mystery parts and it still wasn't enough to build a sea knight, I had 5 engines though..

Generally
- when a plane lands and you go to the load/unload screen to layover some stuff, put the loaded passengers at the top of the list. When you have a big upgraded airport, you spend your time scrolling through a huge list, watching for a flash of red as your passengers whizz past.
- I'd like some way of running a larger network without (a) having a crazy long list of airports and (b) not diluting the number of passengers wanting to go to each. At the moment it feels likes there is a most efficient setup, which is a long straight line with few airports to get more passengers. I want to play with eg a European hub and would like the UI to help me accommodate that.
- when i'm selecting where to fly my plane, perhaps don't display all the other planes, or at least make them a little translucent. In events like Philadelphia and cape town where I have lots of planes shuttling back and forth, it's often difficult to see the airport to select it because it's covered in giant plane sprites

My Transatlantic Flight award is bugged and hasn't triggered even though I routinely travel from LA to Tokyo.

I understand I can reset my awards, but is this going to wipe out ALL of my Gamecenter awards for Pocket Planes? I just finished 100 Easter Island trips and I have zero desire to repeat that :-(

Meier

My Transatlantic Flight award is bugged and hasn't triggered even though I routinely travel from LA to Tokyo.

I understand I can reset my awards, but is this going to wipe out ALL of my Gamecenter awards for Pocket Planes? I just finished 100 Easter Island trips and I have zero desire to repeat that :-(

I think it's permanently broken. I reset my rewards and got the pop-up when I crossed the Atlantic, but it didn't show up in GameCenter as achieved.

What a way to get weaned out of this addicting game. Almost level 21, airports stretching from Tokyo to LA. 15 planes. Loaded my game a while ago, saw one of my planes landed in an airport, then it went back to the title screen. Then it showed Loading from iCloud with 0 money, 0 bux, and level 0. After half an hour of waiting and removing from the running tasks and reloading the game, still stuck at loading from iCloud.

I had fun, but there's no friggin way I'm going through everything again. Sucks.

Goredrinker

Neo Member
I've had the 10 slot (sequoia) planes for a while now and they are great but even for them I would like more than 60 layover slots. Right now there's no point in getting the larger planes.

Often Tokyo to London is more profitable than Tokyo to Mexico City. The Fogbusters i'm going to phase out as sort or long trips they are only slightly profitable.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm barely breaking even on the cape town event. I have aeroeagles bringing things in from Tokyo, but the return flights are often empty. Although the bonus there is it only costs 1 Bux to jump them back to Tokyo.

Local flights would probably have been simpler but I didn't want to mess up my entire layout. I wish the game recognised or weighted the value of passengers, not just number of jobs.

Row

Banned
I'd like to see an update that makes it so that you aren't punished for opening more airports. having places update with maybe 1 or 2 jobs per city is stupid and caused me to stop playing

I'm barely breaking even on the cape town event. I have aeroeagles bringing things in from Tokyo, but the return flights are often empty. Although the bonus there is it only costs 1 Bux to jump them back to Tokyo.

Local flights would probably have been simpler but I didn't want to mess up my entire layout. I wish the game recognised or weighted the value of passengers, not just number of jobs.
Yeah, it's a money losing event for me as a whole. All my profit is coming in from grouping flights between Lagos and the other class 3 cities.

Jme

I think I goofed. :(

When I started my game, I chose europe but later decided I'd like to move to America so I closed my airports and used the cash to open new ones in America. The problem is that I hangared my planes not realizing you needed to spend bux to bring them back into the fleet so I'm stuck with 2 entry level planes and airports that are too far apart :(

Trin

I think I goofed. :(

When I started my game, I chose europe but later decided I'd like to move to America so I closed my airports and used the cash to open new ones in America. The problem is that I hangared my planes not realizing you needed to spend bux to bring them back into the fleet so I'm stuck with 2 entry level planes and airports that are too far apart :(

Ouch, do you have the gold to open more airports that are close by? If not I can send you some of my spare parts to sell or one of my Sea Knights. They're technically Class 1, so it costs very little to take one out of the hangar, but they have really large job capacities .

Fortunately, the usual cost to fly a plane out of the hangar isn't too high. Maybe 2 Bux for a Class 1 and 5-7 Bux for a Class 2 aircraft? It would be a pain, but you could collect some Bux in air during your job deliveries if you're desperate.

Jme

I did some re-arranging sold off some bearclaws and grinded from orlando to new orleans and back until I got enough gold/bux from the air to open another closer one and recommission some planes. Sucked but I now have all of my planes out of the hangar. Lesson learned on putting them in the hangar lol...

So I guess I don't need any help but if you've got a Sea Knight to spare I wouldnt turn it down :)

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Does the price to 'Add Plane Slot' decrease as you level up... Or am I crazy? I've been thinking about adding one for a while now, and I swear it went down in price...

Trin

Does the price to 'Add Plane Slot' decrease as you level up... Or am I crazy? I've been thinking about adding one for a while now, and I swear it went down in price...

I wish, but no. It'd cost me 378, 525 to add another plane slot. You can check out the pocket planes wiki for a chart that lists the cost of every plane slot upgrade.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I wish, but no. It'd cost me 378, 525 to add another plane slot. You can check out the pocket planes wiki for a chart that lists the cost of every plane slot upgrade.
Ah, okay, thanks. I just bought my 11th slot at Level 17. I've mostly been spending coin on upgrading airports thus far. I figure there's not much point having a ton of planes if I don't have jobs for them.

Trin

Btw, how awesome is the Sea Knight? Love that thing -- great reward.

So awesome, only downsides are the short range and heavy weight. I got three during the Philadelphia event! They're perfect for global events at class 1 airports or when you want to temporarily open a couple nearby airports for the event.

Meier

So awesome, only downsides are the short range and heavy weight. I got three during the Philadelphia event! They're perfect for global events at class 1 airports or when you want to temporarily open a couple nearby airports for the event.

3?! Jeez, I still have never gotten a bugged reward.. just 1 of each. :(

Trin

3?! Jeez, I still have never gotten a bugged reward.. just 1 of each. :(

Oh no, not a bug. Occasionally you might see orange jobs headed to a global event destination known as "Mystery Parts". They're pretty rare, and each delivery gives you 1 part belonging to whatever plane is the current global event reward. I delivered 6 of them to make 2 planes and got the 3rd at the end of the event.

I was out for most of the day. Did we wrap up 9th? I last checked 6 hours ago and we were 9th.

This new event is. GAHHHH. A Class 1 flight out of there won't even make it to any other class 2 or even 3 cities.

shira

I was out for most of the day. Did we wrap up 9th? I last checked 6 hours ago and we were 9th.

This new event is. GAHHHH. A Class 1 flight out of there won't even make it to any other class 2 or even 3 cities.

It's fine just get Delhi or one of the Chinese cities then there is a blue which birchcraft or 2x upgraded kangaroos can get too

Meier

We were only a few hundred behind 8th near the end but I didn't see the final tally. This Magadan place is in BFE.. maybe I can use it towards getting the Tiksi achievement.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Oh no, not a bug. Occasionally you might see orange jobs headed to a global event destination known as "Mystery Parts". They're pretty rare, and each delivery gives you 1 part belonging to whatever plane is the current global event reward. I delivered 6 of them to make 2 planes and got the 3rd at the end of the event.

You're lucky. I delivered 9 parts and didn't get enough to build one full helicopter - 5 engines and 4 controls, no bodies :/

Will a super gopher reach? I don't have any though.

Edit: ah, easy enough to reach by buying Sapporo - was already in Tokyo

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, another event I can't help with. Someday my little airplane dooders will network across the entire map, but not yet. Still inching up Central America... Good thing this game is so addicting, cause progress sure is slow.

shira

How does experience work? I'm noticing that my fog busters don't make very much $$$
Compared to my other planes.

Does this mean I'm losing money but getting experience.

Or does money = experience.

Meier

How does experience work? I'm noticing that my fog busters don't make very much $$$
Compared to my other planes.

Does this mean I'm losing money but getting experience.

Or does money = experience.

I'm pretty sure experience is equal to profit?

Meier

Oh man these big planes are useless then

So if I have negative profit, I lose exp?

Nah, I don't think they'd do that.. you just wouldn't gain any from the flight, presumably. I haven't really paid enough attention, but that's my guess. The big planes have their merits since they can net HUGE gains, you just can't fly them unless they're full and getting you the bonus basically. This really applies to all Class 2 and 3 planes for better or for worse.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Watching this thread makes me feel awful lol. It's taking me so long to get anywhere in this game. My biggest plane is one class 2 plane. I only have 3 airports it can fly to too. :p

shira

Nah, I don't think they'd do that.. you just wouldn't gain any from the flight, presumably. I haven't really paid enough attention, but that's my guess. The big planes have their merits since they can net HUGE gains, you just can't fly them unless they're full and getting you the bonus basically. This really applies to all Class 2 and 3 planes for better or for worse.
Tried a max full flight with a fogbuster and lost money.

Trin

Watching this thread makes me feel awful lol. It's taking me so long to get anywhere in this game. My biggest plane is one class 2 plane. I only have 3 airports it can fly to too. :p

Try moving your airports to east Asia. That region has so many Class 2 & 3 large population cities placed very closely together, makes it one of the better areas for expanding your airline quickly.

Meier

Tried a max full flight with a fogbuster and lost money.

I don't have any Fogbusters personally, but unless you're having an insanely odd route, that seems crazy! Have you upgraded the weight? That's the most important thing to do on all the heavy planes. If you're not getting the 25% bonus, it seems possible, but if you are, I'm amazed that's possible. They definitely need to tweak the bigger planes.

I tested the exp, and it's related to the amount of money you've earned, not necessarily profit. If a flight yields 10k gold but only profits 2k, you still get the 10k.

Top Bottom