• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pocket Planes |OT| ...and don't call me Shirley (iOS, Universal) #GAFAIR crew

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think I'm putting my Mohawks into storage and using the Moscow event to switch to class 2/3 airports only. to get a Mohawk from London-Tokyo takes a few too many in between airports which makes the departures board too busy. Now I have to think whether to replace with birchcraft or aeroeagles

Meier

I don't think it's necessarily a huge number of them, but some of the TA peeps are definitely cheating the system on their clocks. It's just impossible otherwise for them to have delivered that many jobs in that amount of time.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is there a formula to working out the cost of flying for the different planes? Eg pearjet and Fogbuster feel expensive, whereas Mohawk, birchcraft and sequioa don't. I know speed affects price but I'd like to know how much. I'm happy to scrap expensive jets if they are too inefficient, and the way I play I don't need ultimate speed

I've just mothballed a bunch of Mohawks and now have four slots free. I want to decide what to build - birchcraft, pearjet or aeroeagle

iifu

Neo Member
Houdini delivery! :)
AwtkDURCEAEcqGv.jpg:large

DGRE

Banned
Does everyone in a crew get the prize? I was in the gafair crew for the last event but I didn't get anything.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I quite like being close to dropping out of the top ten - focuses the mind.

I've just rearranged my fleet so I have little hubs around Tokyo and LA, then big planes flying LA-Tokyo.

Sold up in Mexico/San Jose and bought Moscow. A bit of a diversion for me, was routing London > Tokyo, had got as far as Delhi but I'll back peddle for today and send everything to Moscow. But very close to my base so I should be able to get a lot of planes there.

Done about 20 jobs already, lots of traffic!

Is there a formula to working out the cost of flying for the different planes? Eg pearjet and Fogbuster feel expensive, whereas Mohawk, birchcraft and sequioa don't. I know speed affects price but I'd like to know how much. I'm happy to scrap expensive jets if they are too inefficient, and the way I play I don't need ultimate speed

I've just mothballed a bunch of Mohawks and now have four slots free. I want to decide what to build - birchcraft, pearjet or aeroeagle
I don't know the exact cost, but now I've experimented with different ones to know the break-even cost (X passenger/cargo landing in the next city-assuming they weren't already layovers):

Bearchcraft -> 3 (max 4)
Pearjet -> 4 (max 5)
Aeroeagle -> 3 (max 6)
Fogbuster -> 6 (max 8)
Tetra -> 8 (max 10)
Sequoia -> 5 (max 10)
Cyclone -> 8 (max 12)

Current setup:
Mexico <-> NYC <-> Paris <-> Moscow (All upgraded to Level 2 capacoty).
I have 6 Aeroeagle, 3 on each side of the cost ferrying groups together for layovers.
Then another 12 Class 3 (mix of Sequoias, Cyclones and Fogbusters) to land in any of the cites.

Tetra was terrible for waiting for layovers, and so are anything else too, so I'm going to slowly retire the Fogbuster/Cyclone when I get the money. (However, Sequoias are now taking 1H+ from Moscow to Mexico.

Minamu

I'm not sure how to proceed. I just reached level 8 and I have about 6 or 7 planes running in central Europe. I'm not making a whole lot of money, maybe 1000 per run. Everything is so damn expensive and I don't know what to focus on :(

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm not sure how to proceed. I just reached level 8 and I have about 6 or 7 planes running in central Europe. I'm not making a whole lot of money, maybe 1000 per run. Everything is so damn expensive and I don't know what to focus on :(

1000 per run is fine. Look to get more distance between airports rather than all clustered, you'll earn more

Minamu

1000 per run is fine. Look to get more distance between airports rather than all clustered, you'll earn more
It's more like 1500 now that I've double checked. I'm thinking of exchanging all one seaters for at least two and I just bought a 3C I think by getting the parts, just waiting for some bux to assemble them. The farthest I've gone is Bordeaux and Manchester. Should I bother with upgrading smaller cities or plane parts like better engines etc?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It's more like 1500 now that I've double checked. I'm thinking of exchanging all one seaters for at least two and I just bought a 3C I think by getting the parts, just waiting for some bux to assemble them. The farthest I've gone is Bordeaux and Manchester. Should I bother with upgrading smaller cities or plane parts like better engines etc?

No, not early on. I think the earliest upgrade I did to a plane was the pearjet to get across from NY-London. In the early stages I really liked the kangaroo and airvan.

shira

I don't know the exact cost, but now I've experimented with different ones to know the break-even cost (X passenger/cargo landing in the next city-assuming they weren't already layovers):

Bearchcraft -> 3 (max 4)
Pearjet -> 4 (max 5)
Aeroeagle -> 3 (max 6)
Fogbuster -> 6 (max 8)
Tetra -> 8 (max 10)
Sequoia -> 5 (max 10)
Cyclone -> 8 (max 12)

Current setup:
Mexico <-> NYC <-> Paris <-> Moscow (All upgraded to Level 2 capacoty).
I have 6 Aeroeagle, 3 on each side of the cost ferrying groups together for layovers.
Then another 12 Class 3 (mix of Sequoias, Cyclones and Fogbusters) to land in any of the cites.

Tetra was terrible for waiting for layovers, and so are anything else too, so I'm going to slowly retire the Fogbuster/Cyclone when I get the money. (However, Sequoias are now taking 1H+ from Moscow to Mexico.
Ha was first for a bit today.

Any ideas on Advertise vs Upgrade at the airports?

Meier

Has anyone checked out Flight Tycoon? The graphics look so utterly garish, but is the game any good itself?

How do the two compare?

senador

Banned
I haven't been posting, but I've still been playing when I can. As you can see from my chart, some days are better than others, ha. #9 in our flight crew now though, woo! Speaking of, we really died off after that first one. :(

Lvl 26 right now, 19 planes operational, with 4 cities: San Jose <-> Mexico (upgraded to lvl 2) <-> New York (lvl 2) <-> Paris.

Right now, I'm running 5 Sequoias between New York and Paris, 6 Aeroeagle between New York and Mexico, and 8 Kangaroos between Mexico and San Jose.

I don't doubt this is a super effective strategy, but it sounds boring as hell. There's no way I could do that I don't think

I won't be able to help with this one at all. Not even close to there yet.

Oh shit, you are playing now too!? Nice!

senador

Banned
How do layovers work?? I can only seem to see them accidentally.

It's basically just dropping a passenger or cargo off anywhere but their final destination to build combos. See quote below for more.

7374634210_b584648d42_b.jpg

This is how I envision layovers. I haven't actually done them yet, but I think this is how it works. Basically, you have a mixed bag of people/cargo at the origin airports. You bring all that cargo to one central hub airport. From there you create other flights carrying cargo whose destination is all the same airport. This way you get the 25% bonus for having a plane full of cargo with the same destination. It might cost a big more initially, but the final benefit is definitely worth it on the larger planes.

Hell yeahhhh. A few XP away from Level 14! Started in South America and am just now creeping into Central America.

Sweeeet. I started in my hometown like a lame-o. Got some good transatlantic flights going and starting in on Asia now. Fun game.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It's basically just dropping a passenger or cargo off anywhere but their final destination to build combos. See quote below for more.

Sweeeet. I started in my hometown like a lame-o. Got some good transatlantic flights going and starting in on Asia now. Fun game.

I'm doing it slightly differently

In the west I have Honolulu, LA and San francisco. In the east I have Tokyo, shanghai and Beijing.

In the west I bring all Tokyo passengers to LA and lay them over. In the east I do the same, brining all LA customers into Tokyo. I have two cargo and two passenger planes in each area for this shuttle work (mix of mohawks and birchcraft). Then I have big planes doing long runs LA-Tokyo. In theory by the time they finish a long run, the smaller planes will have fill the airport up ready for them to ship out again.

At the moment I'm hijacking that setup to bring Moscow customers in. I'm getting a lot of magic cargo in china for some reason :)

I don't doubt this is a super effective strategy, but it sounds boring as hell. There's no way I could do that I don't think
Well, for a while (and if you check further back of my posts, I had the "sprawl" strategy: around 11-15 cities closest to the global event, and start sending as many planes in any direction as long as I fill a flight. However, this means that you'll be checking the game constantly as planes will takeoff and land at completely random (and possibly within short intervals), AND you'll probably waste quite a bit doing a milk run and not directing your passengers to your destination in the more optimal way.

Row

Banned
the more I play the harder it is to fill planes with things going in roughly the same area, even though I have lots of red airports

seems like it would be best to close everything but tokyo and la, which is stupid

mrklaw

MrArseFace
the more I play the harder it is to fill planes with things going in roughly the same area, even though I have lots of red airports

seems like it would be best to close everything but tokyo and la, which is stupid

It does feel like that. I wonder if there are a set number of passengers, and the more airports you open, the more fragmented they get? I had a lot of airports but have since shut down a lot (running 10 out of a possible 21) and it feels more manageable

Meier

Yeah, there is definitely a downside to expanding your empire.. I understand why to a certain extent, but it seems a bit counterintuitive as far as a game is concerned.

senador

Banned

In the west I have Honolulu, LA and San francisco. In the east I have Tokyo, shanghai and Beijing.

In the west I bring all Tokyo passengers to LA and lay them over. In the east I do the same, brining all LA customers into Tokyo. I have two cargo and two passenger planes in each area for this shuttle work (mix of mohawks and birchcraft). Then I have big planes doing long runs LA-Tokyo. In theory by the time they finish a long run, the smaller planes will have fill the airport up ready for them to ship out again.

At the moment I'm hijacking that setup to bring Moscow customers in. I'm getting a lot of magic cargo in china for some reason :)

Sounds better.

Well, for a while (and if you check further back of my posts, I had the "sprawl" strategy: around 11-15 cities closest to the global event, and start sending as many planes in any direction as long as I fill a flight. However, this means that you'll be checking the game constantly as planes will takeoff and land at completely random (and possibly within short intervals), AND you'll probably waste quite a bit doing a milk run and not directing your passengers to your destination in the more optimal way.

Again, I don't doubt that it works super well. It just sounds pretty restrictive and boring. Like, what is the point of playing if all you do is fly the same flight line every X hours? My game may not actually be all that different, but I like that it makes me at least feel like I am doing more than just the same flight, and it also has the added challenge of shuffling people around.

Something seems wrong with how the game is balanced though. IMO, it should be far less effective to only have a few airports as you progress. Perhaps the payouts should be less overall, and much much higher for shuffling and combos, but that would still make your way more effective. Its needs the system similar to Tiny Tower where you have to build different store types or else the demand goes way down and sales slow down. I don't have any specific idea on how to implement it, but I think that'd be great. You'd basically have to keep progressing with airports or demand would go down, and you'd have too few jobs at airports for the less airports strategy to be effective.

Edit: I'm not knocking you though or how you play, just stating why I don't like it and don't do it.

Heh, exactly what I am getting at.

cackhyena

Haven't played in a while. get back into it, get in on the San Jose GAFAIR deal and get 45 bucks. I get newest shiny jet on the market only to find it's a class 2. Now I need to spend all kinds of money to get my airports to even take said baller jet. Money I don't have. Fuck.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Haven't played in a while. get back into it, get in on the San Jose GAFAIR deal and get 45 bucks. I get newest shiny jet on the market only to find it's a class 2. Now I need to spend all kinds of money to get my airports to even take said baller jet. Money I don't have. Fuck.

If you're at a level where you get class 2 planes, you should be able to afford a couple of blue airports, or at least save up pretty quickly. Don't you start the game with one?

Ya no

Just downloaded the game today and joined gafair but seems like it's going to be a while before I can actually help towards challenges.

What are the best planes to build when you're just starting off?

Can you fly West outta LA (across the border of the game to magically teleport to the right side of the map) into Japan? Or are you flying East outta LA across a ton of other hopper airports to do your LA-Japan runs.

senador

Banned
Can you fly West outta LA (across the border of the game to magically teleport to the right side of the map) into Japan? Or are you flying East outta LA across a ton of other hopper airports to do your LA-Japan runs.

Nope. The map is flat, each side is respectively the end.

Pachael

Any truth to the rumors that there are recipes?
IE cook, tomatoes, cheese, pepperoni to Chicago

Not heard of anything but sounds plausible as it could be like the Missions in Tiny Tower where you needed to stock different types of items for a Bux reward.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Flat. I had a ton of hopper airports before, but now I only have LA-NY-London-Tehran-Shanghai-Tokyo. Then spurs off at each end, plus Moscow for now.

Oddly I seem to be getting more passengers going to Moscow from the west, and more cargo from the east.

Edit: made the gafair top 10. How are people getting 1,800 jobs!?

shira

Flat. I had a ton of hopper airports before, but now I only have LA-NY-London-Tehran-Shanghai-Tokyo. Then spurs off at each end, plus Moscow for now.

Oddly I seem to be getting more passengers going to Moscow from the west, and more cargo from the east.

I'm first. I only have 4 airports. NY, paris, London, Moscow all maxed out.
Use bux to speed things up
It gets easier with level 3 planes

senador

Banned
I'm first. I only have 4 airports. NY, paris, London, Moscow all maxed out.
Use bux to speed things up
It gets easier with level 3 planes

So what is the point of playing for you? Just to level up? I dunno, I want to have a huge network of airports and planes. I just really don't like this strategy, heh.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So what is the point of playing for you? Just to level up? I dunno, I want to have a huge network of airports and planes. I just really don't like this strategy, heh.

not speaking for him, but at the moment I'm enjoying working towards the event goal, and adjusting operations accordingly. Later on I might try a North America domestic operation, see what feels good.

shira

It's like an efficiency puzzle.
How many planes can I balance with the least amount of time played.
Time spent playing is actually a lot less with focused trips.
If you want to spend a lot of time microing get tonnes of airports.
If you want to check in every hour this is way more efficient

Don't really care about levels, would like to get a starfighter though

I have no idea who's first. I can't catch them. I know I'm netting my jobs now that I have 20 flights that all carry 10 items.

Top Bottom