• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point n Click Adventure GAF 2013 The pixel hunt continues.

inm8num2

Did any of you guys back SpaceVenture?

That's the one project that I think was a waste of $15. Terrible, non-descriptive updates. The demo was okay in itself but certainly underwhelming given they've been working on the game for a year.

There was another update today and it's more of the same generic canned statements. "Work is still underway and things are better than we hoped!" type of phrases.

All the other adventure projects I backed have done a great job with updates. Double Fine, Jane Jensen, Tex Murphy, Asylum, etc.

My SpaceVenture donation happened because I would have felt guilty for not supporting them, even though I also didn't back the Leisure Suit Larry remake. I didn't care for the game concept back then (a lazy rehash of Space Quest), and I care less now.

Sorry for the negativity. Anybody else disappointed with or apathetic toward this one?

statham

Just finished cognition ep. 3. What a great dark twisted ride this has been, can't wait for the conclusion. I finished it in one sitting, which I hardly ever do, but I had to see what happened. loved it.

TripleSun

Just finished cognition ep. 3. What a great dark twisted ride this has been, can't wait for the conclusion. I finished it in one sitting, which I hardly ever do, but I had to see what happened. loved it.

Same here, episode 3 was so hard to put down. I really loved the plot and the mechanics this episode!

wouwie

Daedelic's new adventure Memoria is coming out on 30th of august in multiple languages. Daedelic sure does release adventures at a steady pace.

epmode

Did any of you guys back SpaceVenture?

That's the one project that I think was a waste of $15. Terrible, non-descriptive updates. The demo was okay in itself but certainly underwhelming given they've been working on the game for a year.

There was another update today and it's more of the same generic canned statements. "Work is still underway and things are better than we hoped!" type of phrases.

All the other adventure projects I backed have done a great job with updates. Double Fine, Jane Jensen, Tex Murphy, Asylum, etc.

My SpaceVenture donation happened because I would have felt guilty for not supporting them, even though I also didn't back the Leisure Suit Larry remake. I didn't care for the game concept back then (a lazy rehash of Space Quest), and I care less now.

Sorry for the negativity. Anybody else disappointed with or apathetic toward this one?

I gave far more than I should have to that project and I was incredibly disappointed by that alpha demo. Screw them for designing everything around a touchscreen interface. And I'm not just complaining about menus. Most puzzles in the game seem to involve swipe motions which feel terrible on a mouse. Even if they tweak the levels to make the swipe locations more obvious, it's basically the opposite of what I was looking for in a Space Quest game. What's wrong with regular inventory puzzles?

I suppose I might feel better about it if they put in a bunch of silly text descriptions for everything but I am absolutely not feeling it right now.

At least it looks pretty good.

TripleSun

Daedelic's new adventure Memoria is coming out on 30th of august in multiple languages. Daedelic sure does release adventures at a steady pace.

I remember my copy of the first game got glitched hard and couldn't progress so I need to get it on Steam or something so I can get ready for this. From what I played the first game had a lovely environmental feeling.

Found this news from a NeoGAF thread today.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=77203671&postcount=1

Really glad it's still on track for a 2013 release, since it kinda went silent. I enjoyed the first two games in old 2D style, but couldn't get into the huge change in gameplay in 3. Will try 4 before this releases, but who knows if I'll like it..

Have you tried the fan-made game Broken Sword 2.5? It's in 2D and is well made for being a fan game. Not very long, though.

http://www.brokensword25.com/

TripleSun

I know this kind of doesn't go here, but it's made by Daedalic, so I'm gonna put it here.

Their RPG Blackguards got an expose on Polygon and apparently the game is going to be 40 hours with lots of twists and turns and pointed straight at us PnC fans and it seems the battle system is also turn-based. All points making it a high on my list to play! Can't wait. Daedalic have been my favorite developers lately and I'm excited to try this.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/23/4651242/blackguards-rpg-daedalic

They say they wanted to try to put out an RPG, because just because they usually make PnC games doesn't mean that's all they can do and they see RPG's as the next step from PnC, so they wanted to try it. Exciting,

inm8num2

That looks awesome - I remember hearing about Blackguards awhile back. I'd say it's new thread worthy! Or maybe we can wait until there's more info.

TripleSun

I see a thread was already made for Blackguards, but it seems pretty minimal. The release date is Fall 2013, so it's sneaking up on us, maybe a new thread might be an idea.

TripleSun

Oh yeah, I also keep forgetting but Memoria is like right on top of us, less than a week I think. I really need to go back and play Chains of Satinav and not be glitched out this time. Was fun from what I played, though.

TripleSun

I liked the environments and the animation style, just my copy (forgot where I bought it from), glitched me out halfway through, so I might want to pick it up somewhere else or get around to emailing the place where I had my problems. It was fun, though and Memoria looks to be a blast too.

wouwie

The first Memoria reviews are promising. It appears that the game has a good story on top of beautiful graphics.

I wish i had a decent pc to play adventure games again. I miss them. I'm looking into buying a notebook but it's not easy to choose one amongst the myriad of choices and configurations.

szaromir

Banned
I finally sat down and played The Last Express this week. Wow what a game, I wish more adventure games set out in bold directions like this one instead of the gazillions of Broken Sword derivatives we usually get. I know it flopped at release, but I think in today's world a game like this could actually find its audience.

inm8num2

I finally sat down and played The Last Express this week. Wow what a game, I wish more adventure games set out in bold directions like this one instead of the gazillions of Broken Sword derivatives we usually get. I know it flopped at release, but I think in today's world a game like this could actually find its audience.

It's a pinnacle achievement and one of the most beautiful games ever made.

It bombed because the marketing was horrid (due to the marketing team being fired or quitting a couple months before release), and it came out at a time 3D cards and games were starting to explode.

Paul Verhoeven and Jordan Mechner have been talking about making a film for a few years. They have a script ready to go.

inm8num2

Do want.

Verhoeven's semi-recent WWII epic Black Book was fantastic. Dude could probably make a pretty good Last Express adaptation.

Older:

http://youtu.be/vcXp3r63WIw?t=6m45s

http://screenrant.com/paul-verhoeven-video-game-movie-last-express-sandy-54220/

Last word from Mechner 8 months ago.

Here's where the Last Express movie is at: I've written the screenplay, with input from Paul Verhoeven, who is attached to direct. We're both really happy with how it turned out. It's just a screenplay at this point, though. In order for it to become a real movie, we'll need a star, a producer, and financing. Suggestions welcome.

Boerseun

Banned

I've never been unhappy with one of their releases yet. And that's more than I could say for Sierra On-Line/LucasArts back in the "good old days" of adventure gaming.

BS5 looks great! I love that animation style.

Me too. Here's hoping we see the complete series on Steam in the near future.

GAF member F.Pina is working on a point-and-click adventure game that's giving off major Sam & Max vibes. He posted about it in the indie games thread last week but I figured I'd mention it here to give it some more attention.

After following for some time the Indie thread I can finally show my new videogame!
Detective Case and Clown Bot in: Murder in the Hotel Lisbon

neogaf.jpg

Design:
I was inspired by the classic point and click adventures from the 80’s and 90’s. It adopts these eras characteristically design and it is built using only the pixel art technique.
It has a base resolution of 256x192 but it wil run full screen and will adapt according to size. All backgrounds have a minimum of 512px wide so if the screen is wider it will always be ok.
Lot's of crazy pixel art work at very low resolutions can get your eyes strained but the final look is worth it.

Mechanics:
It's a classical point and click adventure.
Talk to NCPs, gather clues, solve cases.
I added a new game mechanic to the equation where you can interview people showing them items and asking the right questions.
You can also fast travel and do stupid things (more on this later)
Main quest and sidequests available.

I am trying to make all screenshots as animated GIFs.
screenshot_anim_03.gif
screenshot_anim_02.gif
screenshot_anim_04.gif
screenshot_anim_01.gif
screenshot_anim_011.gif

We will first launch for Windows, Mac and Linux and think about more later.
We have a good friend that created a more official thread here on gaf with more info so wait for that or just hop on to our website :)

We are a 2 man team working together at the Lisbon Studio in Lisbon, Portugal, with 3 more people doing music, art, and production that are not here on a day to day basis with us. We are using Game Maker: Studio from Yoyo games and we will self-publish digitally on Windows, Mac and Linux.

Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Official website
Nerd Monkeys

Cool poster!

P.S. yes, I am no longer at Seed Studios.

Doomshine

machinarium drops today (free on ps+) and broken sword 5 is coming but i agree! need moreeee adventuring on vita

I'm planning on picking up Machinarium and I backed the kickstarter for BS5.

There's Jacob Jones, and Visual Novels should count as Adventure games as well!

I have Jacob Jones. It's ok for the price, but it's not the type of adventure game I prefer to play and I haven't heard anything about an episode 2 release date.

GAF member F.Pina is working on a point-and-click adventure game that's giving off major Sam & Max vibes. He posted about it in the indie games thread last week but I figured I'd mention it here to give it some more attention.

That looks amazing! For some reason it's giving me big time Cinemaware vibes too.

Sloane

Banned
Oh god this game is so good. Get it, GAF.

(I've only played the first chapter so far)
Haven't finished chapter two yet but thought the first one was pretty bad. The potential for something good is definitely there and I love the idea, but the direction is so bad
especially after that godawful train explosion
it almost hurts and destroys any feeling of tension for me. Paired with the usual technical issues of cheap German adventure games (dialogues, pathfinding), I was pretty disappointed.

TripleSun

Haven't finished chapter two yet but thought the first one was pretty bad. The potential for something good is definitely there and I love the idea, but the direction is so bad
especially after that godawful train explosion
it almost hurts and destroys any feeling of tension for me. Paired with the usual technical issues of cheap German adventure games (dialogues, pathfinding), I was pretty disappointed.

I won't say you're wrong, but this is interesting because you're the first person to say that, that I have heard. Guess I'm too much of an Agatha Christie fan so anything close to her stuff is up my alley,

epmode

I won't say you're wrong, but this is interesting because you're the first person to say that, that I have heard.

I feel like The Raven is one of the best adventure game in years. I'm honestly not sure I understand the complaint about "the direction".

The way I see it, the story is interesting, the voice acting is really goddamned good for a German game, the puzzles rarely frustrate, and the production values are better than I expect from modern adventure games. And the main character is objectively awesome.

I feel like The Raven is one of the best adventure game in years. I'm honestly not sure I understand the complaint about "the direction".

The way I see it, the story is interesting, the voice acting is really goddamned good for a German game, the puzzles rarely frustrate, and the production values are better than I expect from modern adventure games. And the main character is objectively awesome.

This is so true. Ultimately, The Raven is one of the most intriguing ADV games to be released in years. It nails a lot of things.

Top Bottom