• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point n Click Adventure GAF 2013 The pixel hunt continues.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Crossposting from the last day sale thread: Thinking about grabbing Blackwell. Loved Gemini Rue and Primordia, Resonance was decent, but the multi-character stuff was meh. Only thing that stops me is that I think the reason I enjoyed Gemini and Primordia was the sci-fi settings and the relatively straight forward puzzle bits. Blackwell looks kinda Twilight Zoney which could be cool. Anyone think I'll like them

Crossposting from the last day sale thread: Thinking about grabbing Blackwell. Loved Gemini Rue and Primordia, Resonance was decent, but the multi-character stuff was meh. Only thing that stops me is that I think the reason I enjoyed Gemini and Primordia was the sci-fi settings and the relatively straight forward puzzle bits. Blackwell looks kinda Twilight Zoney which could be cool. Anyone think I'll like them

Blackwell games are fantastic. If you are a fan of pNc's, you'll definitely like them.

No one is biting on my market stuff on Steam. I want Whispered World!

I'm not a big fan of the Blackell series. I think the only good one is the third. The fourth one is decent, but the first two are both technically and puzzle+story-wise disappointing. Were they without voice-overs there wouldn't be enough "meat" to justify the fact you have to buy them. That said, everybody who likes PnC games should support Dave Gilbert, since he helped some indies to get their games under the spotlight.

Hawkie

Great thread. Subbed. Thanks!

Can recommend Testament of Sherlock Holmes for any Holmes fans, camera angle is a bit janky but very good game overall.

inm8num2

I'm not a big fan of the Blackell series. I think the only good one is the third. The fourth one is decent, but the first two are both technically and puzzle+story-wise disappointing. Were they without voice-overs there wouldn't be enough "meat" to justify the fact you have to buy them. That said, everybody who likes PnC games should support Dave Gilbert, since he helped some indies to get their games under the spotlight.

Big +1 from me on that. I've really enjoyed the Wadjet Eye games (Blackwell, Resonance, Gemini Rue, Primordia). Gilbert is a great guy who's been a huge part of helping bring adventures back into the spotlight a bit.

ALSO we can't forget Mrs Janet Gilbert for her awesome programming on these games, also without her help on some others, they might never had seen the light of day.
Totally agree Wadjet Eye really have helped pushed some projects through into the mainstream press.
I must admit if it wasn't for them emailing me on the mailing list about To The Moon, I wouldn't have known about the game until it had hit Steam, was able to pick it up via them and cry my face off later that night.

nny

That said, everybody who likes PnC games should support Dave Gilbert, since he helped some indies to get their games under the spotlight.

Big +1 from me on that. I've really enjoyed the Wadjet Eye games (Blackwell, Resonance, Gemini Rue, Primordia). Gilbert is a great guy who's been a huge part of helping bring adventures back into the spotlight a bit.

ALSO we can't forget Mrs Janet Gilbert for her awesome programming on these games, also without her help on some others, they might never had seen the light of day.
Totally agree Wadjet Eye really have helped pushed some projects through into the mainstream press.

And that support right now is even more important because they have a new, challenging project going on: raising their baby! )

GmG has all 3 of the Cognition episodes on sale right now. The first two are only $3.39 while The Oracle is $4.99. (Which I just picked up, was waiting for a sale on episode 3)

http://www.greenmangaming.com/indie-games-page-2/

You can't get a much better deal than that. They're flawed games but sound. Mainly technical and execution issues. Voice acting, script, but it has an interesting cel-shaded look and good enough story and systems. It's hard to see where Jane Jensen had much influence, even as a consultant.

I'm also not a huge fan of how Moebius is looking, visually, as the same developer is contracted to produce that game via Jane. I thought Gray Matter was a fantastic looking adventure game, and wished Moebius had higher quality art. Totally understand it was all based on funding.

anyway I'll end there. Definitely pick up Cognition for that price folks.

km3k

Neo Member
I did , but I haven't finished gemini yet. All the blackwell games are excellent IMO.

Edit: I meant Blackwell>Gemini

I feel the same way. I still haven't finished Gemini yet, mainly because I haven't been able to really get involved with the characters. Gemini Rue a has an interesting story and atmosphere, but Blackwell really has great characters that make the games easy to get into.

epmode

I'm also not a huge fan of how Moebius is looking, visually, as the same developer is contracted to produce that game via Jane. I thought Gray Matter was a fantastic looking adventure game, and wished Moebius had higher quality art. Totally understand it was all based on funding.

It's based on funding, yes, but you can design a game's art around your budget. Moebius' character models... could use a little work. I'd much rather have something that looks like Wadjet Eye's games even though it would probably cost a lot less.

(I agree about Gray Matter. How is that still not on Steam?)

It's based on funding, yes, but you can design a game's art around your budget. Moebius' character models... could use a little work. I'd much rather have something that looks like Wadjet Eye's games even though it would probably cost a lot less.

(I agree about Gray Matter. How is that still not on Steam?)

Totally agree. The character models are very odd. It just seems a bit lacking in vision or something. Can't fault Phoenix Online, they're just doing their job. however I don't think they're too reliant on that entire style.

I can't wait for The Raven tomorrow. Is it midnight launch? God I hope so.

TripleSun

Meh, having problems with SecuRom via GmG's client. Apparently the generated request unlock codes aren't valid or something. I should be doing everything right.. Emailing SecuRom now. I just want to play my Cognition Episode 3 ;_;

TripleSun

Yeah, I'm sick of this. I'm just going to torrent it. Never doing that again.

[edit] It's also funny how SecuROM never responded to my complain email for help.

Pre-ordered the Raven. For 20$ and an upgrade to the digital deluxe it seemed like a decent deal and I absolutely adore The Book of Unwritten Tales. The only thing that bugs me a little is that episode 3 will release on GTA5 day and who has time to play it then? :p

Also hesitant to pick up the Cognition deal even though I was literally asking for it 2 pages ago. I've bought a ton of games from GMG but they're always Steam keys and I don't see that changing. Hopefully they'll do a promotion when they do land up on Steam.

TripleSun

Pre-ordered the Raven. For 20$ and an upgrade to the digital deluxe it seemed like a decent deal and I absolutely adore The Book of Unwritten Tales. The only thing that bugs me a little is that episode 3 will release on GTA5 day and who has time to play it then? :p

Also hesitant to pick up the Cognition deal even though I was literally asking for it 2 pages ago. I've bought a ton of games from GMG but they're always Steam keys and I don't see that changing. Hopefully they'll do a promotion when they do land up on Steam.

Yeah, the SecuROM thing got me and I can't even play the game, so I just torrented it. Also, yeah I got the Raven $20 thing too. I wanted thee backstory information and stuff. Won't be able to play episode 1 until Wednesday, but I'm so excited. Been following this game's development for like ever, lol.

TripleSun

Sweet, downloading. Thanks for the notice.

So yeah, people who pre-ordered The Raven saved $7, as the digital deluxe version went up to $26, until the 30th and then it'll raise to $30.

Gbraga

Are the puzzles too hard? I'm a casual player in this genre, I did enjoy the Monkey Island HD games a lot, but from what I read I'd have a hard time with Deponia.

RPGCrazied

Looks like The Raven isn't going to come out today on consoles, at least PS3. :(

From Developers:

KING Art’s and Nordic Games’ point and click adventure, The Raven - Legacy of a Master Thief, is now available to download via various Download-platforms for PC, Mac and Linux and will be available via the PlayStation Network and Xbox Live Arcade later this summer.

epmode

Are the puzzles too hard? I'm a casual player in this genre, I did enjoy the Monkey Island HD games a lot, but from what I read I'd have a hard time with Deponia.

The RPS guy said he finished the first episode with no outside assistance.

Hawkie

2hrs in and I haven't come across anything that's been too difficult. A keen eye and common sense should be enough to see you through.

Hawkie

Thanks! And 2 hours in and you still didn't finish it? Seems longer than I expected, that's good to know :)

I expect there's at least 2-3hrs more to go for me, maybe more.

Edit: Adventure Gamers suggest 6hrs total for the first episode. I would also add that after 4hrs gameplay I would have to agree with their article 100% so far.

TripleSun

Deponia is a really fun series, but the locations are large and there is so much to do and it's nonlinearity timeline would be strugglesome for you. It's even hard for me and I basically only PnC these days, lol.

Gbraga

Jesus, I'm playing The Glitchen - Legacy of a Master Glitch, my game glitches twice in a row and now the autosave is gone, leaving me only with a save an hour behind.

YAY

EDIT: Fixed it, played around 3 hours today, really liking it so far. My only issue is with the choppy FMVs, other than that, loving it. Such a nice and weird cast. Perfect game to play with a cup of tea

TripleSun

Was looking into Barrow Hill.. What do you guys feel towards that game? Seems to be loved on Adventure Gamers.

Also, did any of you have a problem finding the digital deluxe content? When I click on it, it just brings me to My Documents and I don't have a folder for the game at all there..

(In regard to The Raven)

Hawkie

Was looking into Barrow Hill.. What do you guys feel towards that game? Seems to be loved on Adventure Gamers.

Also, did any of you have a problem finding the digital deluxe content? When I click on it, it just brings me to My Documents and I don't have a folder for the game at all there..

(In regard to The Raven)

It's in the "The Raven" folder under steamapps - > common

TripleSun

It's in the "The Raven" folder under steamapps - > common

Thanks, found them!

So far logged in about 3 hours tonight and I really love the environments and the dialogue. I had forgotten to eat dinner because I didn't want to stop for a second. Very enjoyable! Glad I bought it. Always had a soft spot for Orient Express-esque environment PnC games. I like enclosed spaces while getting to know people.

Gbraga

Is Raven any good?

I'm loving it, but, as I said, I'm a very casual player in this genre, so my opinion shouldn't matter if you're a veteran and are looking for a challenge, since I have no idea if it's challenging for veterans in the genre. I'm loving the art, sound, characters, dialogues, story and investigation gameplay.

The FMVs are a bit choppy (but looks like it's a glitch not for everyone) and I almost lost my progress because of a glitch (the fix was pretty easy though), so those would be my cons.

Hawkie

Is Raven any good?

Just finished Chapter 1 (playtime 6hrs). The settings, soundtrack, voice acting and pacing are great and really shine. Difficulty shouldn't be an issue for most players (I never used the notebook for help and did not know until 3hrs in that the spacebar shows all active clues in the area (which again I never used)). You can, however, miss a number of achievements on a playthrough and not solve certain "side tasks" as you progress (which happened to me on the train and means I will go back for another playthrough) so if you are a completionist careful attention must be taken and every nook and cranny explored before proceeding.

The game has a few problems, most notably pathing for your character who can take strange routes to reach an object and subsequently can get stuck in the environment. This happened twice on my playthrough. This doesn't sound like a major problem, however, once stuck, the game sticks in a loop and you cannot save or carry out any further actions. As a result I had to terminate the game and roll back to my last save/autosave which could be annoying for some people. I recommend you to save every 15-20mins or so just in case. In addition, the game does have some teleporting issues when transferring to cutscenes and some lip-syncing issues later on. None of these issues are truly game breaking but they do detract from an otherwise high quality experience. One word of warning: the ending is extremely abrupt (indicating that an episodic release was not the original intention) and even though the game feels several times that it is about to finish before it does, you may find yourself watching the credits when you least expect it.

Overall I found it to be a really enjoyable experience, great pacing, soundtrack and settings and an interesting story. Looking forward to chapter 2.

Top Bottom